Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4605814 - 08/12/22 05:23 PM Autorudder  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I hope you will not blame me if I confess that today I have activated the autorudder in the settings. It was the last attempt to be able to control the Fokker Dr. I (who isn't in love with the Red Baron's triplane?), for me so far an unflyable junk.
The operation was successful, turning it, for me, into a "weapon of mass destruction": five enemy planes destroyed in the first mission! winkngrin
This goes to show that I don't know how to use the rudder and remember me my flight instructor (more than twenty years ago) scolding me while we were in flight because I did not use it or used it too little! Back then, after a decade of flight simulation practiced with a two-axis joystick, without a pedal, I had already got into this bad habit, which I was not able to correct even when, subsequently, I bought a "twisting" joystick. With real flight I closed shortly after. frown

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4605827 - 08/12/22 07:12 PM Re: Autorudder [Re: Greybeard]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Mate, it doesn't matter how you play it, as long as you are having fun with the game... biggrin

#4605859 - 08/13/22 04:32 AM Re: Autorudder [Re: Greybeard]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Greybeard
I hope you will not blame me if I confess that today I have activated the autorudder in the settings. It was the last attempt to be able to control the Fokker Dr. I (who isn't in love with the Red Baron's triplane?), for me so far an unflyable junk….

Gyro/torque effects are perhaps a wee bit exaggerated on some types in RoF, Greybeard, so no need to apologize for autorudder activation. I’m sure that it makes the Dr.1 more tame - for further comparative info. on the FM state of things across a few WWI sims., the following post might be helpful.

Cheers & happy flying (with or without autorudder),
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4605865 - 08/13/22 06:54 AM Re: Autorudder [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Trooper, VonS, thank you for your words of encouragement. Thanks also for the link to your message, VonS, whose content sheds light on the lawsuits on Dr. I's exasperated behavior in RoF.
I am convinced that there is a fundamental error in all flight models (at least of historical aircraft), which I recently found expressed in the philosophy that since there are no longer original specimens able to fly and therefore to study their behavior, one must rely on on the stories of the pilots of the time. For me the flight model must be based on physics and not on subjective impressions, even if by experienced pilots, and the data for the calculations are all there, indeed, there are more for the planes of the First World War; for example, have you ever taken a look at the Technische Berichte? There is also the lift / drag diagram of a wing rotated through 360 degrees, which is essential for modeling its behavior in a simulator (what does the wing do when the plane falls down with the trailing edge in the direction of motion?). In the modern diagrams you will find the values ​​only between negative and positive stall. On Jane's of the period, to give another example, there are even the areas of the horizontal and vertical projections of the fuselage, the weight of each component of the airplane, etc.
The fact that the autorudder helped me if confirms on one side my unwillingness to use the rudder, OTOH maybe it would not have been necessary if the modeled precession had been physical rather than anecdotal.

Last edited by Greybeard; 08/13/22 06:58 AM.
#4605981 - 08/14/22 10:32 PM Re: Autorudder [Re: Greybeard]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I found that my initial HOTAS axis curve settings were not enough - IE input was too sensitive... Adding a curve in the Controls/Input section in-game for X,Y, and the rudder axis helped me bring the Dr.1 under control for me, as well as the Camel - without the use of auto rudder.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4605995 - 08/15/22 07:19 AM Re: Autorudder [Re: ArgonV]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by ArgonV
... Adding a curve in the Controls/Input section in-game for X,Y, and the rudder axis helped me bring the Dr.1 under control for me, as well as the Camel - without the use of auto rudder.

I currently have the response curves attached. My joystick is the Thrustmaster HOTAS X.
I am convinced that it is possible to control the left turn of the Fokker Dr. I, it is I who am not capable. So for now I enjoy the autorudder! biggrin

Attached Files roll.jpgyaw.jpg

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.