Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4605665 - 08/11/22 05:00 PM skin accuracy  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

just how accurate are the what, 5000 advertised aircraft skins in the game? Im talking as to how genuine they are as there is a lot of debate n a certain modelling forum using published books about how shoddy the actual data is for paint schemes for even some of the most known allied pilots.

#4605676 - 08/11/22 06:15 PM Re: skin accuracy [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Just a handful under 7100 skins actually. The skinners may be able to shed more light but the vast majority are accurate, some, if no real concrete data is known, will be best efforts from available information. Many have been revised along the way when new or corrected information appeared.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4605845 - 08/12/22 10:36 PM Re: skin accuracy [Re: masterKamera]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I'm happy to try and answer this as best as possible for the skins I have done.

We started this project 12 years ago, and before that was RB3D. At the time we began making skins, the amount of information was limited and still being debated as to what was speculation and what was truth. We just did the best we could with what was out there for every model we had. The intent was to not only be as accurate as we could be, but to add some artistic wiggle room for skins we simply could not identify, rather than ditch them. Some skins I did came from designs used in RB3D that turned out to be pilots instead of Jastas skins as they had made them. Dan San Abbott was a big help until he passed, but even now, his notes are questioned by the discovery of new photos and new colorizing technology.

Accuracy is always to be debated. In WWI, Jastas swapped planes, pilots flew one or two planes of the same type, borrowed others, painted over markings...on and on, so there was some muddy guessing going on at times. But again, that's what made WOFF so special. It hasn't been done to the depth that it is done in WOFF ever before.

So yes, the info was shoddy, but we would discuss and make educated guesses based on color matching descriptions and profiles from similar planes in matching Jastas. At times I even created my own skins based on patterns and colors used in the se Jastas just so you could have a sky filled with the flamboyant patterns the Germans were known for.

I hope that helps a little.

OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4605875 - 08/13/22 03:57 PM Re: skin accuracy [Re: masterKamera]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

My questions was based on how its easy to go to a ww1 aircraft modelling sight and see alot of argumentation on the actual paint colors themselves, and then alot of fighting over what was used on each plane and when.

I was getting back into modellig again this year, and wondered how accurately the skins were as if i found a lucky skin for a plane i wanted to model, i was thinking print off some screen shots of it and use it.

#4605925 - 08/14/22 02:11 PM Re: skin accuracy [Re: masterKamera]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

The accuracy of the WOFF skins is no more or no less reliable as what you will find on a good modeling sight or book. Even on a well documented plane, where the colors are known, the exact shade is just a best guess. And, of course, you usually don;t see the whole aircraft, so you have no clue as to how the topside or underside looked. Was there a letter or number on the underside for additional identification? What color is the marking on the fuselage, it looks white or black, but is it? Lots of guesses to make, even if they're educated guesses.

What plane, in particular, are you looking at? Maybe someone knows where those colors or markings came from. I give the sources and reasons behind the modifications I make in the ReadMe word file that accompanies the Mods, but that's not the case with the WOFF skin pack. There were lots of people working on that massive project but maybe someone whose still around remembers..

Jerbear[Linked Image]

Attached Files Screenshot 2022-08-14 091050.jpg

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again