Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
#4604756 - 07/29/22 05:36 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Second season is down the last last few races, with Monza next on the docket.

I signed Gasly to drive my other car and he's done great, but I'm thinking he has done too well honestly. With easily the fastest car on the grid now, we are clear of the field by some margin, and Gasly is the fastest of all. I might go back to Piastri just to rein in our prospects a bit for season three. There's little chance we don't win the constructors this season, and the drivers title is between me and Gasly at this point.

On the engineering front we are now in to the 'ultimate' level of upgrades. These are costly so we won't complete them all before the season ends (and waiting to see if there are new regulation changes). But next year we should see a maxxed-out car.

I swapped in Hungary for this season but I was lousy there. Barely finished 10th despite having the fastest car on the grid. Gasly won. I will remove Hungary for season three haha. I just struggle for consistent pace here.

One bug I noticed is that my sponsors all show 33,000 days left on our deal,when it should be half a season. Not sure what will happen, I'm hoping it all clears at season's end, but maybe I'm stuck with these.

I swapped to one-shot qualifying for season two from full. It's pretty fun and takes a hell of a lot less time! One lap against the ghost of the provisional pole lap. It's interesting to see the ghost car switch between say Max, Leclerc and Gasly depending on which car was ahead on any given part of the circuit.

I feel like I've seen quite a bit more wet weather in F1 22 career, but it could just be RNG and a long drought will come. One minor difference in the new game is how long tires last now. In the 50% races I'm doing, a medium-hard strategy is a no-brainer most of the time but worrying about tire wear is not a thing like it was in F1 2020/21. The only thing that throws a spanner in is the weather. More often than not I can take advantage of the AI here, especially when it starts dry and goes to rain later. I won Spa by 40 seconds by just waiting for the rain to arrive before making my first stop while the AI all came in on schedule and then had to pit again when the rain fell. But in general there's just less strategy in the new version. Maybe I can/should set a tire wear multiplier.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4604783 - 07/30/22 01:04 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Second season of My Team is in the books, and Black Nine stormed to both titles on the back of our technical edge.

Gasly did a great job all season so I sacked him and replaced him with Piastri, for his second bite with our team. He's on 6 million less in wages per half-season -- not that money is an issue at this stage -- and his driver ratings are significantly lower which should help rein in the AI driver in my second car. He will also produce fewer resource points from practice sessions to further pull us back. Gasly landed on his feet, taking Seb's seat at Aston Martin after his retirement.

The sponsors bug I mentioned looks to have cleared, with 20 days remaining now on our deals, down from 33,000!

Our team pulled in over 50m in payout for final position and the sponsor bonus. That will be invested in our factory and facilities.

I swapped engine suppliers once again, just to mix it up. The Ferrari powerplant was great, but I went with Renault for season three. There were no regulation changes announced at the end of season two.

Made two changes to the schedule, removing Hungary and Abu Dhabi and bringing Mexico back and adding Baku.

The grid order had a lot of volatility to it throughout the season, which as I've said is great, and a big part of what appeals to me about F1 22. At the start of the season Merc were the class of the division, winning four of the first six races. But they would fade a bit over time but still finished second. McLaren also came through last year's reg changes in good shape and finished third, with Lando taking three wins. Ferrari outpaced Red Bull throughout the season.

The grid order was much more segmented in the end, with no tight races for any position. Virtually every final team position had a 50+ point gap on either side.

As reigning world driver's champion I was given the option of taking the number 1 for my car and did so smile

#4605050 - 08/03/22 01:11 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
At the mid point of the third season I had to call time. Our car is just too far out in front. I've drawn the same conclusion several times through this thread, that My Team is awkwardly balanced and to get it right the player needs to play sub-optimally, or establish house rules for slowing the progress. Of course some players will like being that far ahead. But for players who want to be mixing it with the AI then something must be done to keep progress in check. And of course with the new starting points that are available the path to the top can be even shorter.

So I started a new standard driver career. This has several advantages for longer term saves, although you lose the team control aspects, all the corporate responsibilities. The player does retain control over resource points and technical development. One advantage is that you can simply leave when things get too far. Swapping teams is a nice reset, leaving a strengthened team in your wake to now compete against. The player cannot invest in the factory and facilities, though the program does upgrade these over time. That affects resource point generation, build times, failure chance and number of concurrent projects. All of this is slower in a standard career against a My Team career with the player on the ball.

But for me the key is I can just sign for a new team. If I start to get rolling too much, just sign for someone else and start over, which like I said leaves a strengthened team behind to compete against the next season.

So I started off in F2, did well enough to get a shot at Tsunoda's seat and now drive for Alpha Tauri. If I impress maybe I'll have a shot at the full squad, taking Checo's seat. Gotta say I like the 22-car grid that you get in My Team.

#4605116 - 08/04/22 06:20 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When I started up the latest career I changed some settings. I chose the shortest season length at ten races, medium race length which is quarter-distance and changed qualifying to short. All of this of course vastly ups the pace with which I can progress through a season and we're already down to the final race. With just ten events I can make wild swings to the schedule and keep it interesting with some variety down the seasons. Alpha Tauri are sat fourth in the table and that's where we will finish regardless of the outcome if the finale in Brazil.

Brazil is a sprint race event, as it is in real F1. It's neat to see this format introduced in F1 22, but I hope they will make it an option. The way it is now there are the three real-life sprint events and they are always sprint, and this cannot be changed and any other race cannot be designated as sprint. Not a massive thing, but the sort of option I expect in a sim that is so customizable. I'd like to swap around which events are sprint races.

In the current season Red Bull had been on a good run, opening a nice gap at the top of both title chases, when we arrived at Monza for the 7th of 10 events. Late in the race Red Bull were running one-two, had it in the bag. This would effectively seal both titles with just two races to go. I was running somewhere in the top ten in my Alpha Tauri with just a few laps to go. A yellow flag popped up and when this happens I try to immediately hit pause to switch to replay to see what had just happened to bring out the flag. F1 22's replay system is quite inadequate, especially compared to sims like Assetto Corsa, and it only shows perhaps the last 20 seconds of action. So to catch it you have to be quick or it's lost (until after the race when you can watch the entire thing)

And what I saw after toggling through the field was Max blowing up out of the lead. But Red Bull weren't done. As Max slowed with no power, Perez who was right behind slammed in to him, knocking off his front wing and forcing him to pit. He finished 14th. From a sure-fire one-two to both cars out of the points. Ferrari took over both championship leads, and Max then got grid penalties next round in Austin. What a disaster! With just one race to go he trails Leclerc by eight. As a sprint race more points are on offer, but Red Bull need a miracle.

As for Alpha Tauri we've really struggled to keep up. We are sat eighth in the performance charts despite my best efforts. It's a little harder in standard driver career and this is why I made the switch. There were regulation changes for chassis and powertrain, so we will see where it shakes out for next year.

Earlier I said that F1 22 feels less strategic. Thinking about it some more I think my comment about tire life is correct, but the main reason why it feels so different here is the change to requiring the top ten on the grid to use the compound they got through Q2 on. Now it's free tire choice for the entire field and removes this from the strategy battle with dissimilar tire strategies no longer a thing really.

#4605204 - 08/05/22 04:00 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The business of Formula 1 is cutthroat.

Ferrari did indeed win both titles in season 1 (Leclerc) after Red Bull's horror show at Monza. Shocking!

Fernando Alonso (who is faster than you) announced his retirement from Formula 1. As a F2 driver I had signed for the Red Bull academy, possibly paving a path to the full works team down the line after an apprenticeship at Alpha Tauri. But I blew all of that up.

After finalizing the season-ending business and engineering at Alpha Tauri, I decided to explore my options. There were rumors in the paddock that Alpine were making a move on Lando to take Alonso's seat, which would open a seat at McLaren. And I took it.

Turns out it was a bit of a sideways move, since my work at saving AT's dev meant they now had the best powertrain on the grid by some margin since other teams displayed less agility in response to the regulation changes. So at the start of season two, McLaren and Alpha Tauri were level on the performance chart. It was a bit misleading though, since the AT chassis for example was about the worst on the grid. Having a strong motor is important, but just one piece of the puzzle and I expect they'll fade through the season. Lance Stroll took my vacated seat, and Magnussen took Stroll's vacated seat at Aston Martin. Schwartzman was drafted in from F2 to fill the final opening at Haas.

Good driver market mix up this season. One of my favorite things about the F1 22 career mode.

My new team McLaren did not show enough agility to save all of their dev, and there were zero 'boosts' carried over for my benefit. But the factory and facilities are better and we should make faster progress over here as a full works team. Honestly I wanted to team up with Lando, but he's gone to Alpine, leaving me paired with Danny Ric. He's not as fast as Lando in the sim, but his experience stat is really high, and now he's maxxing out resource points at every practice. So while he may not get results to match Norris, his contribution to the car's development will more than make up for it as both cars will benefit. Good bloke, the honey badger.

Red Bull however must have felt the sting of throwing away last year's titles, and look to have been the only team, aside from Alpha Tauri, to have come through the regulation changes with no loss. As a result they are clear out in front on the performance chart and there should be no way they can throw it away this year.

I made wholesale changes to the schedule, swapping out half the races for different ones, including Singapore! Probably a mistake, but I can't just fill the schedule with my best tracks, now can I?

Great career mode, this. No other racing sim approaches it for me.

#4605354 - 08/08/22 12:41 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My third season in the standard career has passed the half-way point and McLaren are top of the charts. I've taken steps this time around to somewhat slow my roll, avoiding perks to boost resource points, selecting durability projects instead of performance and other things to keep us from leaving the field behind. But even then we are still right at the top. Ricciardo's experience stat means he pumps out the resource points better than any other AI team mate I have had. For now we're just at the top, not clearly in front and if we can hold station around here it will be fine. Regulation changes have occurred both years so far (aero and durability in season 2) and the AI doesn't handle this quite well enough.

Still, I'm having a blast. The racing's great. Switching to a shorter schedule has worked out nicely as I can make sweeping changes to the order each season and keep it feeling fresh. I'm not just cherry picking my best tracks either, including Singapore last season where I finished 13th. I actually failed to score at Spain as well. The AI is quick around Catalunya!

One of the things I've singled out for praise is the driver market. Having the AI drivers change teams and retire is a neat feature. But I think it's broken! Last season Red Bull cruised to the constructors. Midway through Perez announced his retirement and then pipped Verstappen to the title. Going out on top Checo! But the system is broken because Latifi was brought in to fill the seat. Latifi! It's so stupid that it almost made me quit. Needless to say Red Bull don't stand a chance with this traffic cone in the team. Max is still Max, but while he is fighting for victories, Latifi is coming home 12th every race. There oughta be a law....

A few more shots of the action

Sweeping through the final turn at Miami

[Linked Image]

That same scene from behind

[Linked Image]

The McLaren MCL36

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Cockpit.jpgmclaren.jpgmiami.jpg

#4605356 - 08/08/22 02:08 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Nice screenshots as always DBond.

On a related note, I have been reading tons and tons of negative reviews from users concerning F1 2022. The two major issues seem to be illogical behavior from the AI cars and poor frame rate performance.

It doesn't seem that you've encountered either of these issues DBond. Is that correct?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4605358 - 08/08/22 03:01 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey man, thanks for the post!

No, nothing like that on my end. 'Illogical behavior', meaning what? Did they say? I think the AI in F1 22 is the best I've seen in this series. There's more variability and mistakes in them this year and it's great for a racing sim. Actually I did notice that sometimes not all cars go out in a wet practice, but otherwise I can't think of anything illogical other than Latifi ending up at Red Bull, which is peak illogical.

Technically the performance of this sim is great for me. I've had no frame rate issues. Like glass, which of course is important at these speeds! Doesn't matter how many cars are in view or what the weather is like. It's just runs beautifully. Of course as I always do I made initial tweaks to the graphics to dial down unimportant stuff like shadow detail, turn off bloom and depth of field and other minor tweaks that I don't even notice but I expect have some effect on making things run more smoothly and crucially, more coolly. I have a very modest box and am running at 2560 x 1440 on a 32" curved and it runs like butta. As have the last two editions too it should be said.

I have however experienced one issue. Occasionally and without obvious cause I get a black screen when clicking advance after a practice or qualifying session. The only way out is a reboot if the game doesn't bring up the crash reporter. It's rare, but has happened a few times and is annoying as that session must be repeated and it takes time to get everything restarted.

#4605361 - 08/08/22 03:13 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

I have however experienced one issue. Occasionally and without obvious cause I get a black screen when clicking advance after a practice or qualifying session. The only way out is a reboot if the game doesn't bring up the crash reporter. It's rare, but has happened a few times and is annoying as that session must be repeated and it takes time to get everything restarted.

Did you try bringing up the task manager via ctrl-alt-del?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4605363 - 08/08/22 03:17 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, but you can't focus it, clicking it just goes back to black screen. I then updated my drivers but it didn't eliminate it.

#4605365 - 08/08/22 03:24 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Yeah, but you can't focus it, clicking it just goes back to black screen. I then updated my drivers but it didn't eliminate it.

One other option is to do a "sign off" from the ctrl-alt-del screen. That has worked for me for a couple of games in the past where I was stuck in a black screen. It's annoying but still faster than doing a forced reboot.

#4605644 - 08/11/22 11:13 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Another screenshot, this one in the rain at the Dutch Grand Prix. Good, clean, tight racing against the AI even in treacherous conditions.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Zandyrain.jpg

#4605646 - 08/11/22 11:53 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Derek, have you switched to cockpit view driving in your career? If yes, hats off to you driving with the Halo still activated and having to look at that middle column! biggrin

Time is the only luxury.
#4605648 - 08/11/22 12:14 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, but I confess to having removed the center post (it's an option), but it still displays in replay mode.

Third season is in the books, McLaren taking both titles. I've moved on to season four, but I lose some enthusiasm when I have the best car on the grid. More fun to be battling for sixth. And every time I see Latifi driving a Red Bull I laugh. I tried to sign for Red Bull to fix this mess, but Latifi stays, and Max takes my vacated McLaren seat. That's like, worse.They really need to give the player the option to choose his team mate when swapping teams. No regulation changes at the end of season three mean our car would hit max development this season.

#4606196 - 08/17/22 02:47 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Fourth season came to a grinding halt as I won the first four races of the season and that will not do.

So I started yet another My Team career, this one from the dungeon with no money and a factory and facilities that are essentially walls with a roof on it. Zero acclaim, zero money. I wonder how we got in to F1 in the first place on such a shoestring haha.

The new team is called Exocet F1. Ferrari engine for season 1 and Piastri as the second driver. I've enabled several immersive options, such as formation lap and slotting manually in to the grid box. Taking an outlap instead of flying lap for qualifying and that sort of thing to reduce the shortcuts and make the experience more authentic.

Season 1 is really good because of the grid hierarchy, which will change over time. But in year one we have two teams clearly the class of the division, Red Bull and Ferrari. Merc are third, well adrift of those two, but well clear of the midfield.

At the bottom of the table are Williams, and just above are Aston Martin.

The remaining five teams -- the midfield -- are very close indeed and this is where the sim shines as these ten cars battle it out every week.

#4606296 - 08/18/22 08:54 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Are you already battling 110% AI ?

If not, you could ramp up the AI and/or use less assists so your career stays challenging even with the best car ?

You can also limit yourself to half/a third of the upgrades you usually get in a season, to slow your progress ?

#4606330 - 08/19/22 12:15 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
House rules to gimp yourself is the best answer. That, and choose a low-rated driver to be your team mate. Bumping AI strength doesn't work well because it also bumps your team mate, who, like you, is in the fastest car. And if he is not a low-rated driver he will be very hard to catch for the player. It's just awkwardly balanced and quite difficult to find the proper level when having a car near the top of the performance charts.

As it is I am doing a number of things to slow my team down, especially in qualifying, but that's a less than ideal solution to achieve outcomes I like.

I attempt to set AI strength close to where my AI team mate and I are turning roughly the same lap times. When I have a F2 driver as a team mate there's a little gap, with me faster. But if he's a F1 driver with good ratings I try to get it to where our lap times reflect the fact we are in identical machinery. It's another difficult balance to strike because there is some variability in how well the AI drives any particular track. For example, they seem faster in Catalunya and slower at Spa. It's difficult to assess this. Because could it be that I am worse or better at these circuits? That the relative drops or gains I see in the AI are actually my drops or gains? I think over time you gain a feel for this, but it's still not a clear cut thing.

#4606379 - 08/20/22 05:44 AM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Yes finding the sweet spot for AI is always very difficult in racing games I found, in my case I also need a great amount of time to do reasonably good on some circuits.

Just wanted to ask, also. People have being complaining that 22's AI is much too fast on straights, has it been improved since release ?

#4606386 - 08/20/22 12:11 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If it wasn't two-car teams then finding the balance would be easy. But your team mate mucks it up. When you try to bring the field to your level, your team mate is boosted by the same amount, and if he's in the fastest car it makes it impossible to do both at the same time. That's why signing a low rated driver works, to offset that gain.

Season one of my newest My Team carer is in the books. Max and Red Bull won the titles, Alonso retired and Piastri told me to take a hike when I attempted to re-sign him for the new season. He complained that we were the worst car on the grid, which is true. But that ignores the fact that he's the reason why as he went week after week with no resource points generated. So I signed Pourchaire while Piastri went to Haas. It will be fun beating him after such a realistic public rejection!

About the AI speed on the straights... yeah, maybe so. But I didn't automatically assume they are 'too fast'. Perhaps they are running a lot less aero, have better drag reduction, have more battery, or just get better exits, or a combination of all of these things. It's also difficult to assess as it would be easy to make an observation and draw the wrong conclusion about the cause.

#4606451 - 08/21/22 12:57 PM Re: F1 2020 (the sim) [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
What I've read is they're faster than a zero wing player car.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.