Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4596373 - 04/07/22 02:52 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Interesting thread, as opinion is split. I'll put it on the wishlist and look for a sale down the line I think. Thanks for all the posts, it helps to form an impression, as this lot are more my peers than randos on the interweb.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4597372 - 04/18/22 11:09 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm at level 43 now and I'm dying a LOT less often. I had a very rough start due to the fact that I never played any of the Souls games but now I'm really starting to find my groove.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4600680 - 05/31/22 02:10 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Question for you who have defeated the boss MARGIT at Stormveil Castle. What level was your character and what weapon did you use when you defeated him?

I was level 88 and I used a +5 colossal grafted sword which I got as a reward for defeating another boss.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4603697 - 07/14/22 05:49 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, I'll talk Elden Ring. Or I'll let you guys do it. Surprised this thread got no traction considering how well-received the game is. But that's SimHQ in 2022 innit?

So I just finished my latest adventure (Tiny Tina's Wonderlands / Borderlands spin off) and thought that Elden Ring would suit me for the next one. Praise for it is abundant, here and on the 'net at large.

I don't care for third-person games, although I've made some exceptions for the best ones, such as the Witcher series. I can adapt, or ignore this if the game is worth it, and it seems this one probably is.

But I also have Dark Souls 3. Never played it. It sits there in the Steam library, greyed-out and unloved. I've considered it a dozen times, but always pass and go a different route. I have my reasons, I guess.

I've read a few Elden Ring threads (elsewhere obviously). In some, the praise is nearly universal, but I also read a couple of 'is ER overrated?' threads too to gain a reasonably balanced perspective on the game. I think I have a good view now of what is great about it and what potentially is not, although how these things are seen will come down to the individual.

But then I thought, why not give DS3 a go first? I already have it. It is also widely praised. Not sure it's for me, and anyway it's a very different game from Elden Ring. But I reckon it will give me a taste of the From vibe.

So what would you do? But ER and play that? Play DS3 first? Skip them both and run more laps around the other Ring?

Question for those who have reached the end of ER.... are you still having fun? Or are you forging ahead to complete it even if it lost luster along the way? Or did you stop at some point before the end? Just curious.

#4603698 - 07/14/22 05:59 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

although how these things are seen will come down to the individual.

I've put about 270 hours into the game and I have a few observations:

1. I would NOT recommend this game to players who get easily frustrated and flustered if they die a lot. Dying a lot is a fact of life with this game but if you stick with it, the rewards are great.

2. I was used to the Elder Scrolls way of doing things so playing Elden Ring was a big "leaving my comfort zone" experience for me. There's very little hand holding when it comes to keeping track of side missions and NPC's. There is no "journal" in this game where everything is conveniently listed out for you on where you should go next or what you should do.

3. The overall main story arc can be confusing at times but if you stick with the game long enough and pay attention to the NPC conversations it will all start to come together. This is a very well written story.

#4603733 - 07/15/22 12:14 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I decided, in the end, to install Dark Souls 3. No sense in buying Elden Ring at full boat if I wouldn't dig the vibe. I know they are quite different, but perhaps you could say the games share a lineage and have similarities. I only played some of the tutorial until the first bonfire. Didn't have fun. I tried a controller for this, but as always, I'm sh!t with it. Using twin sticks to control the camera and movement separately is not for me. Maybe I'll give it another go with mouse and keyboard, and maybe there's a way to lock the camera to which way I'm facing with a controller. I chose knight class because they say noobs should. But based on the hour I put in to it I'm not feeling it.

#4603737 - 07/15/22 12:27 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
I and maybe there's a way to lock the camera to which way I'm facing with a controller..

Elden Ring has the "camera target lock" feature and it's a big help when fighting small and fast moving enemies. I use it often.

#4605357 - 08/08/22 02:12 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A general question for all of you who have played this:

What character rank were you when you finished the main story? I'm level 165 and I'm now heading to the Flame of Frenzy church underneath Leyendel capital so I can destroy the great Erd Tree.

#4605553 - 08/09/22 11:02 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
PanzerMeyer, stopped playing awhile ago after reaching the Mountaintop of the Giants region.

Played around 200 hours with my first character, reached level 145 in doing so. Tried to explore as much as possible and finish most of the NPC´ s sidequests. Cleared every dungeon I found and beat every optional boss up to that point.

Changed my playstyle a few times from samurai wielding dual katanas to tree sentinel heavy armor tank with greatshield and spear. Always melee based though.

And then I lost interest and played other games... winkngrin

But will definitely return to the game at some point and finish it!

Time is the only luxury.
#4605584 - 08/10/22 10:41 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: NimRud]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NimRud

Changed my playstyle a few times from samurai wielding dual katanas to tree sentinel heavy armor tank with greatshield and spear. Always melee based though.

This is very close to what I did! I started off the game as a samurai and I heavily upgraded my Nagakiba. Later I then got the Golden Halberd and fell in love with it so I switched to that and also traded in my samurai armor for a heavy medieval knight style armor.

Yeah, I'm not very nimble in combat but my offensive power is quite pleasing to me. smile

#4609071 - 09/19/22 07:10 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Finished the game today with my first ever character after a longer break of a few months.

Around 240 hours later and with a character level of 202 I saw the end credits finally. Was a great journey it was! thumbsup

Hardest fights for me apart from the Deathbirds and the Crucible Knights were second phase Malenia and the Elden Beast.

Only rules I had was no oher real player summon and not using magic or a meta bleed build.

Time is the only luxury.
#4609105 - 09/20/22 10:36 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: NimRud]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Finished the game today with my first ever character after a longer break of a few months.

Around 240 hours later and with a character level of 202 I saw the end credits finally. Was a great journey it was! thumbsup

Hardest fights for me apart from the Deathbirds and the Crucible Knights were second phase Malenia and the Elden Beast.

Only rules I had was no oher real player summon and not using magic or a meta bleed build.

What was your equipment load out and strategy when you fought Maliketh the Black Blade? I'm still stuck on trying to beat him. Maybe the limitations of the mouse and keyboard for this game are now hurting me.

#4609111 - 09/20/22 11:52 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Was using a greatshield and the Bolt of Gransax for this fight. Buffed with some specific talismans and incantations the weapon skill of this spear is incredibly useful as it gives you a powerful ranged option.

That´ s my defensive build which didn´ t work for me usually on the more aggressive bosses like Malenia for example. But with Maliketh it did to my surprise. Otherwise I would have gone with double curved greatswords (Bloodhound´ s Fang + Zamor Curved Sword) and facetank as much as possible with a whole lot of dodging. Thats was basically my Malenia strategy. wink

Try using the pillars when you need a short break to heal or use a flask to fill your mana.

Time is the only luxury.
#4609112 - 09/20/22 11:59 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: NimRud]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Try using the pillars when you need a short break to heal or use a flask to fill your mana.

I have used the pillars but somehow Maliketh still hits me through them. I did find a Youtube video online which shows a pretty effective way to cheese Maliketh but I'll only resort to doing that if I can't beat him by next week.

I basically have a tank build. I'm using the deformed dragon armor set with a +10 golden halberd and the tree sentinel great shield. Due to my heavy weight I rely more on blocking than dodging.

#4609116 - 09/20/22 12:12 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Congrats Frank, that is quite impressive.

If you like this game enough to see it all the way through maybe I should give it another look and pick it up when it goes on sale.

#4609130 - 09/20/22 05:00 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
PanzerMeyer, try to use the Ash of War: Flame of the Redmanes. Maliketh is very easy to stunlock with that ash.

Unfortunately you can´ t use this on your Golden Halberd. If you like the moveset of that Halberd, I can highly recommend the Nightrider Glaive. That Halberd will be dropped from the Night´s Cavalry wandering between East Raya Lucaria Gate and the Bellum Church.

Derek, thank you!

Seeing the credits of a Fromsoftware game is always something special for me.

The combat mechanics are the main reason for me to play these games, but the near endless exploration in Elden Ring added another dimension. I simply wished it would never stop. biggrin

Time is the only luxury.
#4609134 - 09/20/22 05:20 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: NimRud]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
PanzerMeyer, try to use the Ash of War: Flame of the Redmanes. Maliketh is very easy to stunlock with that ash.

Unfortunately you can´ t use this on your Golden Halberd. If you like the moveset of that Halberd, I can highly recommend the Nightrider Glaive. That Halberd will be dropped from the Night´s Cavalry wandering between East Raya Lucaria Gate and the Bellum Church.

Thanks for the tips and I already have the Flame of the Redmanes ash equipped on my +24 Nagakiba. I will be using that if I don't beat Maliketh within the next few tries.

Once I defeat him THEN it's on to the ashen destroyed version of Lyendell where I get to fight even tougher bosses. Yay!

#4609138 - 09/20/22 06:42 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Thanks for the tips and I already have the Flame of the Redmanes ash equipped on my +24 Nagakiba. I will be using that if I don't beat Maliketh within the next few tries.

Once I defeat him THEN it's on to the ashen destroyed version of Lyendell where I get to fight even tougher bosses. Yay!

With Malenia down, the rest of the game feels much more manageable. Good luck! smile

For Elden Beast your stamina management is key. Plus holy damage negation.

Time is the only luxury.
#4609140 - 09/20/22 06:50 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: NimRud]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

For Elden Beast your stamina management is key. Plus holy damage negation.

I guess that means that holy damage on him will be ineffective so I'll have to use my Great Grafted Sword instead of the Golden Halberd.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.