Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4605059 - 08/03/22 05:29 PM Getting Reg Settings  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

Hilversum, the Netherlands
After installing a copy of my working WOFF on my new Win7 laptop, including the AppData, I get the message: Last integrity action: getting reg settings...... and then everything stops.

What to do? Where to find?

hertzie

#4605060 - 08/03/22 06:03 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
We need more information, hertzie.

At what point exactly does the error message appear? Did WOFF fully install? Are you just starting Windows or are you trying to run the game for the first time, etc.

Does it look like a Windows issue or a WOFF issue? An integrity check sounds like it is a Windows issue, which may have nothing to do with WOFF.

Finally, did you mean Win7 or a more recent version of Windows?

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4605077 - 08/04/22 09:39 AM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

What do you mean including the AppData? Are you manually copying stuff?

Maybe check Admin rights or Anti Virus blocking if it's trying to read or write to registry there and stops.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4605082 - 08/04/22 11:26 AM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

At what point exactly does the error message appear? As I click on the WOFF-icon

Did WOFF fully install? I copied a working WOFF from my Win7 desktop-PC

Are you just starting Windows or are you trying to run the game for the first time, etc. Yes, I'm trying to run the game for the first time after copying it to my Win7 laptop and to run it as administrator

What do you mean including the AppData? Are you manually copying stuff? Yes, I'm manually copying stuff, for the copy of WOFF I bought a long time ago and burned on DVD won't start to install. I click on the exe., but it won't run anymore, too old perhaps. I copied all the files on the DVD to an USB-stick, same results.

or Anti Virus blocking if it's trying to read or write to registry there and stops. I'll try that

So far: many thanks for the offered help, much appreciated!!

hertzie

#4605086 - 08/04/22 12:21 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

In a nutshell, copying the game files (even if from a working installation) is not at all the same thing as actually 'installing' a game.

"Installing" a game means running a package put together by the software developers to not only put the game's files on your machine, but also to do things like make the appropriate registry entries, and often set up or configure other software (like DirectX) not directly part of the game, but needed to run the game itself (broadly and collectively called 'dependencies').

Copying files does just that, and nothing more. This means that while the actual game files are present (at least within whatever folders are copied), none of the dependencies are present/configured properly.

Back in the good old days of DOS, you could effectively move a game by simply copying it from one place to another.

Those days went out the window...when Windows came along (pun absolutely intended).

You need to run the actual installation smile

Last edited by kksnowbear; 08/04/22 04:49 PM.
#4605107 - 08/04/22 05:36 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Copying-over of a previously installed WoFF will only (likely) work if you already have a registry entry for WoFF on the device to which you are copying the WoFF install (implies that you already, at some point, also had WoFF installed on the device to which you are now copying WoFF). For example, WoFF registry entry PE 5.04 works well with WoFF UE 4.18 copied over, as well as with BH&H2 1.32 copied over. Your mileage may vary with WoFF registry entries of different vintage and/or with different combos of (vintages) of WoFF registry entry and actual WoFF that you have residing on an HDD/SSD.

Cheers all and happy experimenting with WoFF registry entries and copy-over solutions to WoFF,
Von S smile2

P.S. The copy-over solution that KK mentions from the good old days of DOS also worked in the good old days of Mac OS 9 (and earlier) -- prior to the amalgamation of Next/Unix and Mac OS (to result in OS X). In fact, you could copy over an entire hard drive back then, providing that you also copied over what was known as the "system folder" -- and you would effectively have a cloned, and functioning, Mac OS HDD. Rinse and repeat to have multiple, functioning Mac OS HDDs that way - Unix-ification largely forced one to go down the formal "installation" route to install something.

Last edited by VonS; 08/04/22 05:38 PM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4605151 - 08/04/22 09:36 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

You need to run the actual in stallation smile As I wrote, that isn't working anymore

Copying-over of a previously installed WoFF will only (likely) work if you already have a registry entry for WoFF on the device to which you are copying the WoFF install (implies that you already, at some point, also had WoFF installed on the device to which you are now copying WoFF). As I wrote: it's a NEW laptop

hertzie

#4605155 - 08/04/22 10:15 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Yes, I understood what you said previously: That your DVD doesn't work.

However, although it's unfortunate that your installation media (DVD) isn't working, it doesn't really change the fact that copying the files from a working installation (on your desktop) won't work.

Thus, my advice: You need to run the actual installation. If you don't have media that works, you're going to need to get it somehow. Maybe the OBD team will help.

Best of luck to you smile

#4605156 - 08/04/22 10:35 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Do you have WOFF on a DVD or did you download the installation .exe? Perhaps the installation file is corrupted. If the file seems to work, at what point exactly in the installation process (full install, not copying) does the installation fail? The exact error message would help.

As kksnowbear says, contact OBD with your original order number. They may be able to help you out. If not, you may have to buy a new copy of the program.

I'm sorry if I am not understanding you correctly, but we need to know precisely what is happening in order to help.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4605160 - 08/04/22 11:05 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by hertzie
... As I wrote: it's a NEW laptop ...

And therein is the rub - no WoFF registry key was ever created on that new laptop (i.e., you never installed WoFF on that computer using the the actual, installation exe -- but the WoFF registry key is created only via actual installation -- this would explain why WoFF copied over to your new laptop cannot run). Recommended is manually to delete the copied over WoFF files from the new laptop, including the "AppData" folder -- and then to install using the actual installation route. Then, once formally installed, you can always copy over the WoFFkeys file from AppData (on your other computer) in case you don't want manually to reprogram all key functions in WoFF on the new laptop.

NOTE: if you have a very old WoFF installer burned onto a DVD, as you indicate, and the installer itself is no longer working -- chances are you will have to "upgrade" to a newer WoFF. The only other tip that might work -- if you are feeling brave enough to tinker with your registry in Windows, on your new laptop -- is to create a registry key/entry for WoFF -- duplicating the exact same settings and values for the registry key that you have for WoFF on your older computer. That might do the trick and get your copied-over WoFF running (hopefully smoothly) -- but my suggestions are experimental and be careful not to break something in the Windows registry.

Cheers and hope you get your WoFF install sorted,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 08/05/22 08:06 AM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4605179 - 08/05/22 08:47 AM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I will move this to technical support subforum section.

We do not support copying files over. You must run the installer initially, which will setup everything correctly. Try cleaning your DVD carefully (you can find how to clean it carefully - https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00026689)
TURN OFF Anti-Virus,
Try again. If it installs great, test it, then put your AV back on.
If no go, we can try to get your download link again, but you must contact us on support email with your order number and email used (see last page of the WOFF FAQ for that - see Support page on website).
Please DO NOT post your email or order number here.

https://www.overflandersfields.com/support.html

Last edited by Polovski; 08/05/22 09:14 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4605344 - 08/08/22 10:20 AM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

I will move this to technical support subforum section. OK, but I didn't find it there, so I'm still here :-)

Well, finally my DVD was willing to work and install WOFF. Made me happy, till I got this message: WOFF DLL did not start or WOFF DLL runtime crash etc. etc. And yes, I made sure that the latest Microsoft C++ runtime DLL's are installed.

Any hope for me?

#4605352 - 08/08/22 11:49 AM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Aye, I left it so you could see it first, but will move it now smile

Hope? Yes, but I'd need a lot more info than that. Send your logs to support email address (do NOT post logs here).

See last 2 pages of the FAQ for what info and how to send please.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4605415 - 08/08/22 08:00 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

Pol & all others: I appreciate it very much that you all try to help me, but I give up. I discovered again that this is an unfriendly flightsim for me. Ofcourse I could buy newer versions, but I doubt if they are less problematic. Wish you all lots of safe landings,

hertzie.

#4605434 - 08/08/22 09:55 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

It's not hard to send the logs, and I may be able to see the issue right away.

Initially just send the files in WOTR\LOGS folder to support email hertzie and I can look.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4606108 - 08/16/22 04:52 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
hertzie Offline
hertzie  Offline

Hi Pol, where do I find the support email? And it will not be a WOTR-logs file, but a WOFF-logsfile

#4606110 - 08/16/22 05:15 PM Re: Getting Reg Settings [Re: hertzie]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

As I say look at the FAQ last 2 pages for how to send and the email address.
It's on the Support page on our website, but here is a direct link...
https://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/FAQ_WOFF_BH&HII.pdf

Sorry yes WOFF. The default location for the logs for a WOFF install is in C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\Logs but if you chose to install elsewhere, look in that folder and look for \WOFF\Logs folders.

The FAQ mentions other files that will be useful to help diagnose.

Last edited by Polovski; 08/16/22 05:16 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.