Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4605102 - 08/04/22 04:39 PM Any recent games that didn't do it for you?  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Have you bought any PC games within the past couple of years which you really tried to enjoy and get into but it just didn't happen for whatever reason? For me it's "Steel Division II". This one really surprised me because I've had an academic interest in the war on the Eastern Front during WWII for a very long time so I figured this game would be right up my alley. Ultimately though, after several hours of watching training "how to" videos and playing some of the quick battles it occurred to me that the overall experience felt bland and flat. It's one of those things which is elusive and can't place my finger on but in the end I just wasn't having fun and was not drawn in. Here is some info on the game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Division_2

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4605103 - 08/04/22 05:11 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I can stop watching for your Steel Division AAR now smile

For me in the past few years there have been a few titles I've purchased that failed to bake my potato.

Outer Wilds -- Neat concept. No sense of focus or direction and not enough compelling to keep me interested. On back burner.

Outer Worlds -- Obsidian RPG, can't go wrong, right? Didn't grab me. Most surprising.

Endless Space 2 -- Probably a good game here, but the first 45 minutes were painful and that left me 15 minutes to get my money back. One of only two games I've ever refunded on Steam

Panzer Corps -- The other game I refunded on Steam. I was struck by how much I hated it. And it only took 30 minutes to reach this level of rejection.

Dark Souls 3 -- Sat in my library for years. Tried it and quit at the first bonfire. Not me cuppa.

This list could grow to fifty but that's a start.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4605109 - 08/04/22 05:45 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Assassin's Creed Valhalla not up to the previous two Assassin's Creed titles.

Strictly personal opinion. I like to play a neutral defender who tries to do the "right thing" at the moment -- who defends innocent folks on both sides of a fight from aggression. If I must be on a side, I like to play the defender of a country that's being attacked or is "occupied". In ACV, I am one of the attackers/invaders and must kill combatants I perceive as defenders at times.

I put in a lot of hours. I will probably get back to it.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4605110 - 08/04/22 05:47 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Outer Wilds -- Neat concept. No sense of focus or direction and not enough compelling to keep me interested. On back burner.

I was curious about this one so I looked it up online. The premise and gameplay seems like an absolute snooze-fest for me so I know to avoid this one.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/04/22 05:48 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4605113 - 08/04/22 05:57 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I am finding it increasingly difficult to get into any video games these days.

#4605114 - 08/04/22 06:01 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango

That's perfectly understandable. I have several friends who dumped PC gaming after many years and went into a different hobby like backpacking (hiking), learning a musical instrument or just travelling to other countries.

#4605115 - 08/04/22 06:12 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I have the best gaming rig I have ever owned, plus an Xbox Series X. I have many games, plus Gamepass. Not sure what it is.
I've just been playing a bit of Forza Horizon 5 lately. The arcade aspect is more my speed these days.

#4605122 - 08/04/22 07:08 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There was another game that should be on that list but I couldn't recall the title when typing it up. But now I remember. It's Greedfall. Can't put my finger on what it was missing or why I shelved it. But it is third person, and it's quite amazing how much a game has to overcome for me if it's third person. This mode causes such a disconnect in my brain that the game play itself has to be extraordinary for it to persist in my play list. The Witcher 3 is one of the very few games that ever fought it off and emerged as an all-timer. Even GTA 5 and RDR 2 might have fallen foul had it not been for the first-person option.

Matter of fact, it was only the introduction of first-person mode after GTA's release that tempted me to try it. And I really enjoyed it. Not sure that would have been the case otherwise.

#4605123 - 08/04/22 07:10 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I turned off Assassin's Creed Odyssey after playing only ten hours.
Horizon Zero Dawn lasted 40 or 50 hours but I stopped playing that.
I have struggled a bit staying into Day's gone, but I did modify the main characters to remove all ink on their skin. That was an improvement. Not a bad game, just hasn't grabbed me.

Meanwhile I have 400+ hours in No Man's Sky, almost rivaling time spent in Elite Dangerous, and Mount and Blade Bannerlord playtime grows.

I find I prefer games that are immersive, allow free-form play, limited to no rigid mission structure while still retaining a plot and provide a broad depth of interactivity through which the player can become part of the world. I suppose that's why "immersive sims" such as Kingdom Come Deliverance are my favorites. Elden Ring continues to be fantastic, too.

Games that don't tell me how, or demand that I play a certain way are the ones that appeal to me the most.

#4605126 - 08/04/22 07:29 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: DBond]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
it is third person, and it's quite amazing how much a game has to overcome for me if it's third person. This mode causes such a disconnect in my brain that the game play itself has to be extraordinary for it to persist in my play list.

I am quite the opposite. But, that's me, there is no wrong way to enjoy a game. smile

It has to be "over the shoulder" 3d person for me. Or, "look down from above" 3d person. I turn off quickly to "first person". I know why I feel that way -- but, beyond the scope of the thread. smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4605129 - 08/04/22 07:41 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
In contrast to new games, I've had enough of trying to find a good game recently.

Just fired up Tom Clancy's Endwar again and having a blast.

#4605133 - 08/04/22 07:54 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Borderlands 3 - Didn´t grab me at all and I stopped playing within the first hour. Liked the predecessors very much and even played them in coop, local and online.

Tiny Tina´s Wonderlands - Was a bit sceptical about it after my experience with Borderlands 3, but was persuaded to buy it by a friend to join him for some casual coop gaming. Found the gameplay so mediocre and the humour so annoying, stopped playing after a short while and uninstalled it.

Time is the only luxury.
#4605137 - 08/04/22 08:12 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Interesting Frank. I like Borderlands 3 a lot and have dropped 100 hours in to Wonderlands.

Actually I think BL3 is the best of the Borderlands games, except for writing. But mechanically I think it's the best in the series. The DLC was good too.

It's interesting you didn't like it if you liked BL2.

I'd rate the series like this

Borderlands 3
Borderlands 2
The Pre Sequel
Wonderlands
Borderlands 1

#4605138 - 08/04/22 08:25 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: WangoTango]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK

Same here WT and because of that I have hardly bought any games recently that I could drop into the category Panzer speaks of in the OP.

I am also very cautious of any games I buy nowadays and where possible always try out the 'unofficial demo' before making a final purchase.

If I had to pick one in the last year it would be RDR2. Luckily I got a refund on it via Steam.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4605140 - 08/04/22 08:35 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No, not Red Dead Redemption!

I mean, I think that's the best designed PC game ever.

Interesting how different we all are.

#4605144 - 08/04/22 08:53 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Yeah, and I thought that I would enjoy it but it just didn't click with me. You could argue that I didn't give it enough play time as I was aware of the refund limits of Steam. Maybe in the future I will give it another go but not at full price. Are you listening Epic?

Funnily enough, another Rockstar game I had been wanting to get my hands on for ages was GTAV. So when Epic gave it away I was all over it but I hated that as well. As for Rockstar support, they are a joke but that's another story.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4605157 - 08/04/22 10:35 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Interesting Frank. I like Borderlands 3 a lot and have dropped 100 hours in to Wonderlands.

Actually I think BL3 is the best of the Borderlands games, except for writing. But mechanically I think it's the best in the series. The DLC was good too.

Borderlands 3
Borderlands 2
The Pre Sequel
Wonderlands
Borderlands 1

When I think about it a bit more, it probably has more to do with the fact that I generally can´t stand the grind for loot mechanics in those kind of games anymore.

Spent so much time with friends playing games like Destiny or the Division over the years in the never ending search for better loot to finish the harder parts of the games together, that I simply don´ t want to play similar games anymore. Kind of genre burnout probably.

Time is the only luxury.
#4605162 - 08/04/22 11:10 PM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I liked RDR2. So much so I may play through it again. Be more of a villain this time, to get the alternate ending.
With Gamepass, it makes me not want to buy games. I already have a big backlog of Steam/GOG games. I'm at a point where I will not buy a game until I can get it with all the addons, and on sale.
I plan on getting into Wings Over The Reich when the winter hits. I will follow it's development.

#4605182 - 08/05/22 10:42 AM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

With Gamepass, it makes me not want to buy games. .

This rings especially true with the younger gamer demographics who usually play through a game in a few hours and then forget about it and move on to another game. It makes perfect sense to just pay a monthly fee to rent games for those types of gamers.

#4605187 - 08/05/22 11:16 AM Re: Any recent games that didn't do it for you? [Re: NimRud]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NimRud

Borderlands 3
Borderlands 2
The Pre Sequel
Wonderlands
Borderlands 1

When I think about it a bit more, it probably has more to do with the fact that I generally can´t stand the grind for loot mechanics in those kind of games anymore.

Spent so much time with friends playing games like Destiny or the Division over the years in the never ending search for better loot to finish the harder parts of the games together, that I simply don´ t want to play similar games anymore. Kind of genre burnout probably.

The critical key for me with all the Borderlands games is the coop mode. I find these games to be pretty boring in single player mode but in coop mode they are a ton of fun. The interaction with other human players really makes all the difference for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.