Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4601992 - 06/18/22 10:45 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: kksnowbear]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Originally Posted by kksnowbear
Originally Posted by jnhoward
Got one request, can someone do a MOD for AMD users, so we can have water in the rivers ?. WOTR has blue rivers !.

Fascinating.

So, just to make sure I'm following: You're saying the water looks OK in WOTR, just not in WOFF?

Yes blue rivers on WOTR.
But I think the difference is that the rivers in WOTR are directly fed by the sea. But independent of the sea on WOFF maps.
This only affects AMD users, I last year [and probably many others] have complained via there feedback, but they chose to ignore this known problem.
So given AMD have no intention of sorting this out, I was hopefully thinking that a Genius Modder may be able to come up with a fix for AMDs incompetence.
Hopefully Thanks...

#4602014 - 06/18/22 05:28 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

The blue rivers problem on AMD vid. cards, as discussed in one of the threads a yr. or two ago, may also be related to the generaton of AMD DLLs being run (and the ver. of Win10, or 11, that is installed). For the record, the ver. 17.x.x.x DLLs (from 2017) do not display the rivers problem - but it's doubtful that later vers. of Win10 can roll back that far to those DLLs (I'm on ver. 1809, for example, of Win10). Also worth checking out are the ver. 18.x.x.x and 19.x.x.x AMD DLLs, if possible, of course, depending on the generation of Win10/11 that one is running. It's also possible that resolution of that problem requires both a specific ver. of Win10, and a specific ver. of the AMD DLLs, installed -- although I doubt that most users/fliers would be willing to go through multiple vers. of AMD DLLs (drivers) and Win10 to narrow down where the problem is coming from. Hopefully official AMD will look into the problem (there was a similar problem a couple of yrs. ago with AMD vid. and the IL2-BoX series, graphics oddities or whatnot, which was then solved -- so they might eventually, we hope, look at WoFF-on-AMD-vid too).

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 06/18/22 05:30 PM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4602050 - 06/19/22 06:05 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: VonS]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Originally Posted by VonS
The blue rivers problem on AMD vid. cards, as discussed in one of the threads a yr. or two ago, may also be related to the generaton of AMD DLLs being run (and the ver. of Win10, or 11, that is installed). For the record, the ver. 17.x.x.x DLLs (from 2017) do not display the rivers problem - but it's doubtful that later vers. of Win10 can roll back that far to those DLLs (I'm on ver. 1809, for example, of Win10). Also worth checking out are the ver. 18.x.x.x and 19.x.x.x AMD DLLs, if possible, of course, depending on the generation of Win10/11 that one is running. It's also possible that resolution of that problem requires both a specific ver. of Win10, and a specific ver. of the AMD DLLs, installed -- although I doubt that most users/fliers would be willing to go through multiple vers. of AMD DLLs (drivers) and Win10 to narrow down where the problem is coming from. Hopefully official AMD will look into the problem (there was a similar problem a couple of yrs. ago with AMD vid. and the IL2-BoX series, graphics oddities or whatnot, which was then solved -- so they might eventually, we hope, look at WoFF-on-AMD-vid too).

Cheers all,
Von S smile2
I think we both know AMD are going to do nothing about it. I was just hoping A third may come up with something.

I

#4602051 - 06/19/22 06:23 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: Polovski]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Originally Posted by Polovski
Great thanks for letting us know. Yes had to be something interfering as it works initially. I have had some bad times with Norton personally speaking many moons ago, so keep well clear.
It may be worth reporting it as a false positive to Norton so it won't do it again and will help others.

I thought it was to good to be true.
WOFF still OK but just installed WOTR on the same almost empty drive. Done everything EXACTLY the same. And you guessed it, ''Error copying global layer-make sure the mission builder is not running''. How the #%&*$# dose that work ??. Guess I'll be sticking with IL-2 for WW2 stuff.

#4602061 - 06/19/22 02:44 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Doesn't make sense, it's a simple file copy. Someting is restricting access, perhaps Norton is not gone (see comments above!) one of the reasons I personally hated using it.

The issue is very rarely seen on other PCs maybe heard of it 2 or 3 times in a number of years and it's usually down to a program blocking access (or Windows itself). The FAQ doesn't even mention it as it's a rare thing that would be down to AV or similar underlying tool - is Windows Defender running before/now?).
Try installing to a drive other than C: Some Windows installs have permissions issues with files in C:

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4602070 - 06/19/22 04:31 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
As I said last time it's on a brand new SSD screwed to the motherboard, this drive is labelled 'J'.
Drive 'C' has windows on it, it was installed on there till I moved it over a week or 2 ago.
And 'D' drive has about 12 games on 'Steam', so I have kept WOFF & now WOTR well away from that drive.
I'm Not clever enough to sort this out. I will just stick with WOFF and forget the Reich for a couple of years till I need a new computer.
If I keep up with this I will end up putting the keyboard though the screen.
Thanks again for your time..

Last edited by jnhoward; 06/19/22 04:32 PM.
#4604928 - 08/01/22 10:25 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hi again, I've waisted a few more hours trying to get WOTR running again, but the 'global layer error' pops back every time.
I have 3 disk drives, 2 are SSDs, all of which I have tried and failed to install this game. It was installed once before on my 'C', but it's not having it now.
I've tried totally blocking the program by excluding WOTR files from firewall, sonar, scans etc.
Turned off game boost in AMD boot up menu, even reinstalled Windows.
I can't believe I'm the only one that has had this trouble.
The strange thing is that WOFF is working fine.
I don't have time to bounce these messages backwards & forwards for the next few weeks, so will just wait for someone else with this problem and see what happens.
Catch you again sometime.
Thanks..

#4604948 - 08/02/22 10:18 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks jnhoward as I say no one else has reported this currently. We've been through everything I can think of - except did you try making a new windows admin user, logging in there and installing (and patching) ?

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4604964 - 08/02/22 12:13 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
OK Pol, I may have a look at doing that soon.
I would really like to get it up & running again.
I keep going back to IL2 but soon loose interest if only because of the unrealistic ground detail [apart from the towns, they're pretty good ]. lifeless just like ROF was last time I looked.
You've got the rolling hills, trees & shadows off to a tee. Every time I take off I'm not really looking where I'm going due to me looking around at the landscape, and I do mean every time.
Really good job.
CoD, out of ten _ ' Appearance = 9.' ' Single player/AI =1'. Your soon on your own against the whole Luftwaffe.
I've only just noticed I'm posting all this in the wrong place, sorry about that. I will jump on to WOTR next post.
And just for the record as I'm here, WOFF is working perfectly [well good as it gets on AMD]. Thanks..

Last edited by jnhoward; 08/02/22 12:14 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.