Hop To
#4603931 - 07/18/22 05:42 PM A Sincere Note of Thanks  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Gents,

Hope you are all doing well and staying cool! I just wanted to write a short note to say thank you to this community. I know the history of the EAW group is long and has it's friction points - but I genuinely want to say how grateful I am to each of you for keeping this sim running in your own ways. I got EAW in the summer of 1999, at just 17 years old, as a get well present from my parents after I almost died in a car accident. That game kept me company that year as I played through the Battle of Britain, imagining myself a young Spitfire pilot who was lucky to walk away from a bad landing. Years later I started modding the game, thanks again largely to the group here. I remember digging through Cord's EAW site, downloading STAB, and spending HOURS downloading skins on a dial up modem, so excited to see what new livery I could slap on a Fw190 or my favorite American plane, the P-38. And then... well time and technology marched on and EAW sat pretty much dormant through much of my Windows XP, Vista, and 7 days. Until around 2015 I saw that the game was still alive and running, now on Windows 10. I've been insanely busy in RL - moving, starting jobs, getting married - and it's been tough to find time to work with the old sim. But over the last week, thanks in large part again to your help, I've gotten the sim running solidly again.

I have to say how impressed I am with the GoG patch that Mr. Jelly put together. I badly misjudged how much of improvement it would make, and after finally giving it a chance, I have to say that flying 1.29 in DirectX at fps I never dreamed of in 1999, let alone at these kinds of resolutions, is something to behold. I took your file structure and made my own home-brew Max188 inspired Classic EAW set to run with all of the benefits of 1.29 and man am I loving it. The sim seems more stable - though I do wonder if my mad ExtraSquads=5 didn't have something to do with the last CTD I suffered lol!

So while I know this board is pretty quiet, especially so in the summer, I wanted to say thank you - you've kept a genuinely beloved part of my younger days alive and it's a real gift to be able to revisit it now. Thank you guys!

Attached Files European Air War 7_18_2022 9_34_56 AM.jpgEuropean Air War 7_18_2022 9_36_24 AM.jpgEuropean Air War 7_18_2022 9_37_56 AM.jpg
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4603989 - 07/19/22 08:28 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Many thanks wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4603992 - 07/19/22 10:17 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
We really appreciate your kind words.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4604063 - 07/20/22 05:40 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Even this idiot, that contributed little, thanks Capt for the words. Absolutely agree that the work the group created/continues to create is outstanding.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4604070 - 07/20/22 09:13 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I am assembling a release of UAW160 with the Aircraft_Inventory and Planesets that Ray has just sent me. It includes the new planes for Maggy's Balkans WIP and cold war planes such as the Korean War Jets.
This may well be our last effort wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4604081 - 07/20/22 10:33 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Does Moggy know Ms. Thatcher is stealing his thunder from beyond the grave? rofl

But seriously, special thanks to Tony for all the effort he puts into getting my creations out to the community.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4604091 - 07/20/22 12:00 PM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I too want to thank everybody keeping the Old Girl alive. The ones doing mods and fixes are just wonderfully talented.

I am appreciative of the peaceful condition that exists here.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4604114 - 07/20/22 02:18 PM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

This is a big download. The file is 1.15 gigabytes.

UAW160 2022 Installer

The "UAW160_2022.exe" will install a stand-alone "UAW160 2022" folder

The Aircraft_Inventory has 1491 folders and 54678 files
The Multiplayer_Inventory has 1845 folders and 43501 files
The Planes_ETO folder has 523 folders and 23256 files

There are 82 plane-sets and 36 theatres
There is a new file-manager that lets you choose the texture mapping
[Linked Image]

To explain:

[Linked Image]

The two lists were once in a table hard-coded in the 1.2 exe, but we moved them into external files many moons ago.
If the exe loads "planetex.tpc" it will look for and load "planetra.tpc" for the default skin.
With multiskins if "plane01tx.tpc" is loaded the exe will look for and load "plane01.tra.tpc".............. and if "plane15tx.tpc" is loaded the exe will look for and load "plane15.tra.tpc".
This is the long version of the texture mapping.

However, we realised that although "plane01tx.tpc" .... "plane15tx.tpc" are all different there are many skins where "plane01.tra.tpc"........ "plane15.tra.tpc". are all the same and in fact the same as "planetra.tpc".
That meant that the modder has no need to make the fifteen "plane01.tra.tpc"........ "plane15.tra.tpc".files. and "plane01tx.tpc" .... "plane15tx.tpc" could all be mapped to "planetra.tpc"..
This saves memory because there are 15 files that the exe does not need to load. It is the short version of texture mapping.

Do we need both?
Yes, because there are some skins where the "plane01.tra.tpc"........ "plane15.tra.tpc". are different and need to be ioaded.. If you load the long version when you run the exe you may get a CTD with an error message "Can't find plane01.tra.tpc".
If this happens- as it did when I tried a Sabres vs Mig 15s battle with Ray's new skins, you load the short version and it will fix the problem. smile

wink Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4604138 - 07/20/22 04:54 PM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Modred Offline
Modred  Offline

Italy "Pergine Valsugana"
Many thanks CPT, for what little I have done.

I noticed your screen attachments. Look, if you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can correctly scale the game even if you have a Widescreen as a monitor. mycomputer

Mariano "Modred"
Italy -------------------------
Eaw Gamer since 1998
https://www.moddb.com/games/aces-over-europe
https://www.moddb.com/games/european-air-war

#4604193 - 07/21/22 08:45 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Ditto thanks Capt. I take most pride in the theatres I have added, especially Iraq and the Middle East, Dunkirk, the 1944 Carrier Air War in the Pacific, China, and most recently Italy and the Balkans. One day they might actually be finished smile

#4604315 - 07/23/22 01:03 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: MrJelly]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by MrJelly
This is a big download. The file is 1.15 gigabytes.

Thanks for this Jel! I'm downloading it now and I'll take it for a spin. The volume of additions for this sim is truly gobsmacking sometimes.

Originally Posted by Modred
Many thanks CPT, for what little I have done.

I noticed your screen attachments. Look, if you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can correctly scale the game even if you have a Widescreen as a monitor. mycomputer

Thanks Modred! I'm running a 4K monitor here and it for some reason the nvidia control panel won't let me select image scaling for EAW. That said, I was running at 640x480 for a LONG time before looking into improving the sim over the last few weeks, so even the resolution I'm running at feels like a massive upgrade!

Originally Posted by Moggy
Ditto thanks Capt. I take most pride in the theatres I have added, especially Iraq and the Middle East, Dunkirk, the 1944 Carrier Air War in the Pacific, China, and most recently Italy and the Balkans. One day they might actually be finished smile

Absolutely Moggy! I've always been impressed with the ability to work through someone else's code in a game like EAW, make sense of it, and then do amazing things with it. If you come across that MeatWater briefing and barracks music, give me a shout! Thank you so much for checking!

Cheers guys! Stay cool! It's 90 here tonight!

#4604317 - 07/23/22 07:16 AM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Capt, see if this is what you were after http://mogggy.org/bobaddon/MeatwaterSoundpack.zip

Last edited by Moggy; 07/23/22 07:17 AM.
#4604352 - 07/23/22 07:15 PM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: Moggy]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by Moggy
Capt, see if this is what you were after http://mogggy.org/bobaddon/MeatwaterSoundpack.zip

That's it! beercheers notworthy

Thank you Moggy! I wish you could have seen the huge grin that came across my face when I heard the over the top German briefing and Charlie Chaplin's fantastic mock speech from The Dictator. Brought me right back to playing this game 20+ years ago. Thank you!

#4604353 - 07/23/22 07:19 PM Re: A Sincere Note of Thanks [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Truly, my pleasure.

Have fun!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.