Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4603708 - 07/14/22 08:21 PM Is WOFF Free Standing  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Hi, once installed will WOFF flight sim run without an internet connection? I am desperately trying to get this sim running but have not been having any luck. The reason I ask is that I witnessed the install (again) at a computer shop ($$$) and it appears the sim is ready to run after the install. As soon as I get rig home (no ISP), plugged into (surge protected) outlet and try to launch the sim drops to desktop. I don't know what to do. I have Win11, Direct X9, i8 quad core processor, 4 sticks of memory, ASUS gaming mobo, 2080Ti vid card and other components that should allow me to run w max settings.

I had to take rig back to computer guy once because after they had it running I get it home and it 'blue screened' when I turned it on! I hate computers otherwise and only want this for WOFF sim play. Thanks for input.

#4603710 - 07/14/22 09:48 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
WOFF does NOT require an internet connection to run once downloaded and installed. Check with the Devs for install support though. They will get you fixed up.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4603718 - 07/15/22 03:28 AM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
This is a strange problem. As Hellshade said, BHaH2 does not require an internet connection.

So, apparently BHaH2 works at the computer shop but not when you take the computer home? Perhaps there is an issue with the wiring in your home? Do you have a voltmeter to test the line voltage? Try plugging the computer into a different outlet, both with and without your surge protector.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4603719 - 07/15/22 04:07 AM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Why not try doing it at the shop, but *without* the internet connection...? Seems simpler to me than any other alternative, although admittedly I'm not familiar with the details. The idea, of course, is that if there's any significance to the idea of it being due to lack of an internet connection, then being at the shop won't matter if you don't connect the machine to the internet.

I do have to ask, though: You say "...it appears the sim is ready to run after the install", as opposed to it actually running. Is this the case? Is the sim actually running at the shop, or is it an assumption that it *would* run?

This is a small distinction but a crucial one. If you haven't actually tried running the sim at the shop (and seen it work), then it doesn't prove the connection is the difference - or much else, TBH. What it proves is that you aren't doing the same test in both places (not to sound like a smarta$$).

FWIW I'm going to guess it wouldn't work at the shop regardless of the connection - however, if it *does* work there with the connection, and doesn't work without the connection, then I'd submit that perhaps there are assumptions being made about the connection which are inaccurate. I think a lot of people (myself included) here are under the impression there's no connection requirement - but I don't know that it's been stated as fact by someone with first-hand knowledge. I doubt any of us has actually tested this exact scenario. We all believe a connection isn't required to play WOFF...but I'm not sure anyone really knows that it's not required, at all, during install/first run/etc.

#4603721 - 07/15/22 04:21 AM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Hey, kksnowbear! Nice to hear from you again!

Yeah, I also wondered if he actually got the game to run at the computer shop. It's a little unclear. Perhaps the icon appears on the screen, but did anyone click on it and try to run the game?

I also think I can recall at least one or two users who have said that they run WOFF on a dedicated gaming computer without an internet connection, so I believe it has been done before without any issues. I could be wrong, however.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4603723 - 07/15/22 07:05 AM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@OP, as far as I am aware the WoFF series does not require an online connection to install and/or play. To give an example, WoFF may be installed in WINE/WineSkin on a Mac and works fine - the WINE wrapper that "holds" the WoFF install has no internet connection itself (i.e., is cut off from calling/dialing onto the internet) -- and so, WoFF is also fully "offline" within such a WINE wrapper/install.

From the (interesting) overview you have given, I am getting the feeling that WoFF doesn't have a proper Windows registry entry on your system - or, there is some other incompatibility not allowing it to run (might help to run "WOFF.exe" in "Windows 7 compatibility mode" -- no need to set any compatibility for "cfs3.exe"). I doubt it is an electricity problem - although you might want to test by plugging the computer directly into the wall socket (not into the surge protector) - test to see if WoFF then runs without a CTD, etc.

At any rate, you will probably have to do a full uninstall (and then install) of WoFF -- to iron out the problems -- also, might help to add WoFF to the exemptions list of any antivirus program you may be running, to minimize chance of problems.

Hope you get your WoFF install up and running soon,
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4603736 - 07/15/22 12:25 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Hiya BB, you as well smile

It seems that, like you, I have some recollection of people saying they had dedicated gaming machines for (W)OFF, hence my saying a lot of people here (me too) are "under the impression...". But, to your point, it may have been stated - even if indirectly - by someone with 'authoritative experience'.

VonS, another well-taken point concerning your efforts with Macs that don't have internet connections.

#4603738 - 07/15/22 02:22 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Doesn't make a lot of sense - you can run WOFF offline. Something else has changed, maybe moving it caused memory sticks or GPU card to become misplaced. Blue screening is a clue to that.

Check event viewer to see what happened. Maybe email the log files and other files to us on support after a crash (DO NOT POST THEM HERE) .
See last 2 pages of the FAQ for which files are requested.

Last edited by Polovski; 07/15/22 02:29 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4603740 - 07/15/22 03:02 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Pol, just as an absolute clarification, can you confirm that WOFF does not require an internet connection at any point, during or after installation, to run?

Seems a lot of us think it doesn't, and perhaps with good reason. But none of can speak with perspective you have.

Thanks.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 07/15/22 03:03 PM.
#4603756 - 07/15/22 05:36 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Thanks everyone. The computer shop didn’t have joysticks but we were able to launch the game, open a Quick Combat and attempt flying but since controlling the aircraft after engine start up was impossible we exited. Then we did the same to create a pilot. So, short of actually flying by using a joystick, everything seemed to work.

I will check line voltage. I wired a portion of house (after I did a re-model) to code but it doesn’t hurt to check again.

We installed the software and turned off anti-virus, etc. I have deleted everything except the OS so can’t check previous (?) sim activity. The computer shop said something about MMPE (?) in internet that guides many sims and that this might be what is the problem which means you absolutely need internet connection which I don’t at home. I was under impression this sim doesn’t need internet to run. So… that is why I ask. Is an internet connection needed? I really don’t want to take the computer to this shop again unless the answer is known. Thanks.

#4603782 - 07/16/22 04:19 PM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I answered that one already? " you can run WOFF offline"

If it worked OK in the shop, and now doesn't I have no clue apart from what I said.

On some PCs gameux.dll can interfere, maybe try that fix in section 56 of the FAQ. Although again I have no idea why it would work in the shop but not now, Something had changed and transporting a PC, as I say, you can easily dislodge DIMM sticks etc and cause random errors.

But if something odd is happening you could, as KK said, maybe try it in the shop with no connection, or why not try tethering your phone to your PC to test a home connection just to see? Assuming you have no internet at home.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4604052 - 07/20/22 02:20 AM Re: Is WOFF Free Standing [Re: ARUP]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Okay, thanks. I'm certainly clueless. GD I hate computers!!!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.