Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4599879 - 05/19/22 04:35 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by DBond
set g_bNoRPMOnHud 1 in the bms.cfg file

It works! Thank you very much!

[Linked Image]

I don't know why can't read the acronym "RPM" before percentage, like in your screenshot. But nevermind, I get AB lighting up at 97% RPM (and approximately 70% of my throttle run). So, to get full military power I think I should stop at 95-96%.

Thanks again.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4599880 - 05/19/22 04:40 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great, glad it works. The difference is probably because my screenshot is from 4.33 and likely it's been changed since then?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4599964 - 05/20/22 10:42 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Hi again,

eventually completed also Mission 2 of the training. I thought to attach an evolution of my previous list, continued as an abstract of Training Manual, to speed up advising during mission itself. It includes some internal link to get acronym meaning. Hope this helps someone learning like me.

Cheers

Edit: please find my checklist attached to following message.

Last edited by Greybeard; 05/23/22 11:02 AM. Reason: Removed attachment
#4599991 - 05/21/22 03:08 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
First landing successfully completed (after a few failed attempts).
Amazing realism of the AI: landed on the third attempt without radio contact with the control tower (whose dialogue was distracting me from the physical maneuver), shortly after the touch-down the tower told me (more or less) "next time contact us to land! "). eek
Accustomed to the useless chatter of IL-2 1946, where the ATC practically authorizes everyone to land, and you risk colliding on the runway, this sounds like science fiction to me! Good developers (all), really good! notworthy

#4599997 - 05/21/22 05:26 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great ATC in BMS.

If you need to grease it right down call autonomous. Otherwise follow the instructions so the tower doesn't scold you as naughty.

#4600009 - 05/21/22 08:48 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great stuff guys..Steve’s videos have helped me a lot

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4600074 - 05/23/22 10:58 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Updated my lean checklist up to the engine shutdown. Please find it attached.

Attached Files
Last edited by Greybeard; 05/23/22 10:59 AM.
#4600267 - 05/26/22 05:48 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I got stuck at in-flight refueling.

I've tried many times, but I always go into crisis when I'm in pre-contact position (or close to it), because my plane starts to porpoise, preventing me from making contact with the boom.

#4600304 - 05/26/22 03:52 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
There is one thing that drives me crazy: I would just like to try the cannon and hear what it sounds like in the simulator. I go into Instant Action, pull the trigger and nothing happens! I have the Master Arm switch on ARM, my setup tells me that the trigger on my good ol' T. Flight HOTAS X commands the Second Trigger Detent ... What else do I need to do to fire?

Attached Files 2022-05-26 17_43_11-Greenshot.jpg
#4600352 - 05/26/22 08:16 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Try dogfight mode?

Dogfight mode will change your symbology and bring up the LCOS/EEGS funnel. Dogfight mode in the later F-16 marks is great (not in Block 30/32), especially if you turn on the HMCS and use head-tracking. 9X Sidewinders are even better as you can use your eyes to lock your heaters off-boresight.

Betty says Lock!

On my Cougar there's a Dogfight Switch and I recommend putting this on your stick or throttle.

HMCS switch can be found right about here...

[Linked Image]

#4600366 - 05/26/22 10:46 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
On my Cougar there's a Dogfight Switch...

The point is, I don't have a Cougar ... And I have no idea how to configure a button on my joystick to do the same thing ...

The manual (BMS - Training.pdf) says in point "19.1 The Gun":
"default settings for DOGFIGHT are: FCR / ACM (radar off) on the left MFD, SMS on the right MFD with SRM (short range missile) or HOB (high off-boresight) active (if carried) and the gun ready for use .
The gun can also be selected from the A-A SMS page by selecting OSB 1 to toggle between missiles and the gun.
"

But I can't find these commands on my MFDs.

The manual tells me that for the cannon I should get this screen:
[Linked Image]

but the best I can get is this:
[Linked Image]

with which, however, the cannon does not fire! nope

#4600394 - 05/27/22 11:07 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Greybeard

The point is, I don't have a Cougar ...

We won't hold that against you smile

Yeah, the Cougar has a switch, but any switch can be made to emulate it.

Anyway, I think it used to be that Dogfight mode could be entered by hitting D. C is cancel and M is MRM mode. This will depend on your key file, but I suspect it hasn't changed?

#4600412 - 05/27/22 01:47 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
[Linked Image]

Dogfight mode could be entered by hitting D. C is cancel and M is MRM mode.

WORKS!!!

But they couldn't just write that in the manual! As you wrote! Instead, I read dozens of pages finding only that incomprehensible explanation I mentioned above! mad

Thank you so much! notworthy

#4600413 - 05/27/22 01:54 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Superb mate. And appreciate you getting back to me to let me know if my advice is working. It's been years since I've flown Falcon and it's amazing how it sticks with you, ya know? It's in the blood smile

#4600454 - 05/27/22 10:21 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
It's in the blood smile

I know what you mean.

It remains for me to pass the in-flight refueling test. Is there a simple method for that too? Is it essential to carry out a campaign?

#4600468 - 05/28/22 03:02 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No, it's not needed. Over the years I've flown many campaigns and have never aerial refueled even once. I've done so in training, but not in a campaign. I mean if you're flying out of Aviano in the Balkans in Balance of Power, then yeah, maybe.

There are practical reasons to use it, and roleplaying/realism arguments as well. But I don't find it necessary.

There's another option in BMS, hotpit refueling. In 4.33 anyway, all you needed to do was be on the tarmac at a blue base. There are a few more steps of course to take on fuel. But it's there. In one of our online campaigns in the Balkans I gave it a go. It allowed me to fly a fairly long mission with nothing but slicks and air to air missiles. Normally I'd take bags on a hop like this. Without the tanks the jet really clips along if the loadout is slippery, like it is with Mark 84s. I set a steerpoint at a newly acquired base near the front, landed there on the trip home to take on fuel to then took off again and flew home.

A mini AAR of the mission

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4356560/re-simhq-balance-of-power#Post4356560

[Linked Image]

#4600472 - 05/28/22 06:07 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
No, it's not needed.

Great! biggrin

Honestly, I can't understand how real pilots perform that: aircraft change speed also slightly climbing or diving, so it looks to me impossible to stay for a time at same identical speed with the tanker (given the very limited excursion in lenght of the boom, and not to mention turbulence...). It's not like to flank a car on a highway. I remember me performing in-flight refueling in Super EF2000, but there, first of all, there was the probe/drogue system, more flexible, I think, about relative distance, then an aid consisting in plane taken in control by autopilot as soon as the contact happened. This notwithstanding, I recall my rage when I was unable to make contact before tanker started a turn, forcing me to restart approach.

I thank you very much, you opened me new worlds. I hope to have the force and constance to arrive playing offline campaigns. I think this simulator is superb.

Cheers!

#4600485 - 05/28/22 02:40 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

I thank you very much, you opened me new worlds.

Just wait until you play a campaign! I love all the stuff about the jet, and weapons, systems and avionics and all that. But the campaign is the business.

If we shift discussion at some point from the jet to the campaign then I can help smile

#4600530 - 05/29/22 06:27 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
But the campaign is the business.

I can't wait to do a campaign, but I see that everything is very complex here, and I had thought about going through all the training missions. But if you tell me which are the essential ones, maybe I only do those, postponing the others until the real need arises.

Edit:
There is another problem: my system has already crashed twice with MISSION 6: ILS IN BAD WEATHER.
I feel that my PC is in trouble with this simulator, which does not happen with the others (of the IL-2 series: '46, COD, BOS).
I enclose my computer specs and WhoCrashed analysis, as well as my graphic settings.
What do you advise me to do?
Thank you!

Attached Files
DESKTOP-E3GFFSI.txt (140 downloads)
2022-05-29 11_57_12-Falcon BMS.jpg2022-05-29 11_49_48-Greenshot.jpg
Last edited by Greybeard; 05/29/22 10:05 AM.
#4600550 - 05/29/22 03:18 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

What do you advise me to do?

If you're asking me, I advise you to just put that aside if it's causing problems. Out of sight, out of mind haha.

I wouldn't know how to fix it.

The essential campaign skills question is an interesting one, and it's only my view. Ask the next Falcon pilot and he'd have a different outlook I'm sure. But I like the question so I'll take a stab at it from my point of view. You're asking about which training TEs to fly, but I can't approach it from there. So I'll put it this way

-- Base Ops. You need to be able to talk to the tower, remove chocks, taxi competently, find departure ends, set up the cockpit and all the stuff around the base. Of course you can opt to start on the runway, or from a cold jet. But I always choose taxi. There's an edit you can make to add time from the time you exit the pie screen until your take off time. It gives you more time to set up the jet and reach the departure end before your step time. I like to completely set up my jet before taking off. That means all sensors and weapons powered up and set for release. Selecting bags for selective jettison, radios and all the rest configured so that once I'm in the air I can just concentrate on navigation, sorting the airspace and and flying the jet. A couple extra minutes before step time is a nice luxury to get this done.

set g_nTaxiLaunchTime 6 with 6 in this example the amount of time from entering the 3D to take off time. Edit to taste

-- Navigation. Simple as. Hit your timing marks and steerpoints. The ability to switch frequencies to random bases on the fly is nice, to land at divert fields in emergencies, but not necessary to be flying campaigns. Always set a divert field in planning along your return leg to give you a a steerpoint to divert. Know how to return to base, follow ATC instructions and land properly. Taxi to a shut down, chocks in, engine down and canopy up for full effect smile

-- Avionics and weapons. Both radars are essential of course. Know how to turn off lights, use the data cartridge and the radio. Sniper pod (essential for me) , HTS. I'd suggest getting comfortable with the DED, to be able to see fuel estimates, wind velocity and direction and this sort of stuff, but this isn't essential to get started. Know how to set up weapons for guidance, burst altitudes, arming delays, ripple sequencing and all that stuff. No reason to carry a weapon you can't use properly. The nice thing about Falcon is that you can get by at the start just mastering maybe six weapon types and then continue to train in new ones to add them to your quiver. That was my approach, and over time I added things like JSOW, Mavericks, and SDBs. For me the core weapons to start are

-- AIM-120 (henceforth known as slammer) and AIM-9, especially the 9X. This weapon, in conjunction with the HMCS and headtracking is phenomenal. Not all blocks have it, but for the ones that do it's a fantastic capability and weapons platform.

-- Dumb bombs -- slicks and parachute. The Mark-84 is a favorite of mine. Know how to arm and deploy them, meaning understanding CCIP and CCRP modes.

-- Cluster bombs. Know which ones to use for which target types and how to set up their burst altitudes and ripples to effectively cover the target. A critical difference between older versions of Falcon and BMS is that the ripple designation point --when you hit pickle -- is the center of the string. It used to be the starting point and all bombs would fall down the line. But in BMS it is the center. So the more bombs you're dropping, the more will fall short of the pickle point. So drop on the center of columns or drop fewer bombs on dispersed targets. Well, this was true in 4.33 anyway

-- JDAM. Mark eight-four with fancy bits. Easy, safe, accurate and big boom. This weapon would be the first ground attack weapon I would learn if I were starting over. It's fantastic, especially in conjunction with the DTC and precision steerpoints. Yeah, learn precision steerpoints. Then once you've set it, you literally just fly right over at 25,000 feet and pickle in CCRP. Don't even need to target anything with radar or another sensor. Just select the steerpoint and fly over it. The bomb does the rest. It's exceptionally accurate and destructive, and the release envelope freedom makes it a very safe weapon to carry. It's all weather as well which makes it a better choice in many cases than a LGB for example.

-- HARM. Taking an active role in helping to preserve the blue air fleet is important for me in the campaign. In the early hours the enemy is at full strength, and I think this is the time to do something about it haha. The best ways to accomplish this are destroying enemy fighters and SAM systems. The HARM is the weapon to use, to shut down the radar which nullifies the launchers. On the first morning of any campaign I frag and fly what I call HARMCAP missions. Two AGM-88s, four slammers, jammer and bags. Frag it as an interdiction or zero-time an existing BARCAP and just go hunting for targets of opportunity. By flying several of these in succession the player can shut down a significant part of the enemy's SAM umbrella along the front line, making it safer for the AI to fly there later. Learn which SAM system are priority due to threat level. Actually learn all enemy SAM systems and know their capabilities to increase your survivability by knowing the proper way to react, counter and evade. In all my years flying Falcon, two weapons systems have accounted for a far outsized percentage of my lost jets -- the MiG29 and the SA-6. There are no SA-6s in Korea, but if you download add-on campaigns be advised smile

If I were to lump in all IR SAMS as one they'd be a close third. Enemy aircraft are of course dangerous, but in BMS the SAMs are probably more so, if only because some of them hide so well (ambush tactics) and some can't be detected and the first indication is either a smoke trail or a bang on your exhaust.

So yeah, those are really all that I think is needed to get started and be effective at a wide variety of mission profiles in the campaign. Then add LGBs, Mavs, JSOW, SBDs and the rest as time and enthusiasm permits.

-- Wingmen. It's important to learn the options you have and how to effectively direct the AI. They are quite good when you are puppeting them, assigning targets, getting them to rejoin and keeping them out of trouble. Part of your mission rating is wingman survivability and effectiveness so I suggest always flying as lead and shepherding the AI throughout the mission. This of course isn't a prerequisite, but the sort of thing you want to focus on as you undertake campaigns for the first time. You need the on-the-job training and experience with the AI to know how they behave.

So yeah, that's basically it. If you can do al that stuff you'll be effective in winning campaigns, getting promotions and medals. Over time you can learn more about the campaigns and how to frag custom missions, direct ground forces and generally run the campaign in the operational sense.

It's such a deep simulation that I'm sure I am leaving out a few essentials.

Good hunting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.