Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4599693 - 05/16/22 10:01 PM Insert disk ????  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Just uninstalled WOFF H&H after a lot of game crashes and black squares in the landscape [AMD].
Problem now is when doing the install it keeps asking to 'insert disk', What disk ?. And tries to setup in a 'temp' folder with random letters & numbers for it's name, weird.
I've not seen that before on previous installs. I have tried the original download zip and a copy on a flash drive, same with both.
And what are you supposed to do with 6 or 7 video boxes that show up when you open the zip ?.
First time I have tried to reinstall since before the 'recon' update.
I don't know what to do next..

#4599730 - 05/17/22 03:33 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

We don't ask for a next disk, only think I can think of is you are trying to install from a USB stick, and probably from inside the large .ZIP file with (the install files inside) rather than copying them out somewhere first.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom added built in zip support, in Win7 onwards, so now compressed files open and pretend to be files and folders.

Anyway please see section 2 of the BH&H II FAQ on the support page on our website. That explains how to install - fairly straight forward normally.

We don't have 6 or 7 video anything when installing so without more info can't really help.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4599897 - 05/19/22 08:31 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
OK got past the disk thing, I was trying to install to the empty folder that it was in before.
Deleted everything folders an all. Had 4 attempts at installing following your H&H pdf instructions.
All seems to install ok, but when I go to check it out with 'quick combat' & 'Campaign' I'm getting error messages saying 'Error copying global layer - make sure the mission builder is not running'.
That's the usual one I get all the time.
And others I have seen over the 3 evenings,
'C:\- - -\ScrachPad\RNAS-3.txt total records:151 lines per record: 70'.
And 'Squadron data file error Squadron data - - - - \ScratchPad\ - - - -EOR Check + EOR record number 4'.
And 'Fatal error reading file: C:\ - - - -\ScratchPad\ - - -'. there was more.
I see in the game files \Global Layers\ there are app's & settings, can I try running one of them ?.
I never make it to the Field.
I've not seen anything like this before, I think I have reinstalled the game 2 times previously without too much trouble.
So should I start clicking in the global layer file ?.
thanks..

#4599916 - 05/20/22 01:50 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
A few thoughts:

First, did you use the uninstall program located in the WOFF Tools folder or use another program to uninstall the game?

Second, assuming you did NOT use the WOFF uninstall program, did you delete all references to WOFF in the Windows registry and double check to make sure that all WOFF folders were deleted from all hard drives? Left over folders and registry entries have been known to cause problems when reinstalling.

Finally, make sure that your anti-virus program is not active anytime you download WOFF files or try to reinstall the game.

Good luck and let me know if these suggestions were helpful or not.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4599927 - 05/20/22 08:59 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Given you installed fine before, something is screwed on the system.
I suggest you clean up fully first - follow section 17 of the FAQ very carefully. As BB suggests a full remove it necessary first.
Also as BB says could be antivirus interfering. Section 17 mentions that too.

Before that, you should also check your hard disk for errors using windows chkdsk.

Last edited by Polovski; 05/20/22 08:59 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4599969 - 05/21/22 12:32 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Yes I am using [far too often] the toolbox uninstall program.
And I'm disabling auto-protect & smart firewall, I have left the VPN running.
The last 3 attempts I did delete every folder and any trace of WOFF from C:\, and wiped the documents off as well. How's that supposed to work with backed up keys & settings ?.
My C:\ SSD drive is healthy, with not much else on it apart from WOTR which was running quite well after many hours practicing how to install & uninstall.
I have to say that on my AMD rig, both game's are a slide show without VonS's graphic tuner Mod. Absolutely Essential !, lucky to scrape 49 fps on low settings without it.
Tonight's attempt with patch 1.28 was a little more successful, no error box's and got airborne, but on the load screen you can see it revert to a much lower resolution, my res' is 1920 x 1080 but makes no difference, can't alter it. Was fine.
Got fed up with it, jumped over to WOTR and WTF ! the error box's have appeared here too !. it was ok last night. Never altered any settings.
Uninstalled ALL of your stuff off my drive now.
I was looking forwards to the next WOTR but after wasting at least 15 hours over the last 4 nights, the novelty is wearing off now. I'm 65 years old and Literally don't have the time.
I've been flying SIMs since the Amiga, and by a country mile these games are the most hassle to get running I have ever had.
I'm staying away for a while now.
I will have to put up with 200 fps and blue rivers for a while on IL2.
I will give it a go again in a few weeks time maybe. unless they release 'Normandy' soon, then maybe not so quick.
I'm sure you must be counting the days to my next post. Hopefully next install, both games will run just fine, so the old twat won't be moaning and asking silly questions again.
Um yeah.
Chat again soon then..

#4599975 - 05/21/22 04:32 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I understand your frustration. I am approaching 62 myself, so I know firsthand how precious time can be for someone our age!

From what I can tell, the problem is likely due to a hardware or video setting that may have somehow changed or become corrupted. WOFF shouldn't ordinarily change your native resolution when loading. The black squares in the landscape also sounds weird, suggesting a video driver problem. VonS is the man to speak to about AMD graphics cards. He might have a few suggestions.

At the risk of suggesting something else you have probably already checked, did you recently update your video drivers? Maybe something changed there that has affected your system?

Although I have never done this myself, you might also try a system rollback to restore your system to an earlier state in which WOFF was working properly, but I might consider that to be a last resort.

Good luck, and again, I am sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4600032 - 05/22/22 05:24 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Sorry to say it does sound like hard drive corruption (or possibly memory issue) as you keep getting different results.
Do a search for WIndows 10 / 11 (whatever you have) and using "chkdsk"

Also odd video issue there it seems. Hard to tell.

They are not the most hassle normally. WOFF and WOTR have become very streamlined over time.

Without changing anything, send the logs to support email address. See last 2 pages of the WOFF FAQ (support page has that) on exactly what info we'd need (do not post logs in forums though).

Regards,

Polovski,
#4600842 - 06/02/22 12:04 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hello again. I'm back, I just can't get properly immersed in IL2 and I now know exactly how to crash a helicopter into the ground every single time !.
Well I have removed all OBD related files. Ran CHKDSK through the C:,which is the SSD drive I will be using , that checks out ok.
Disabled auto protect and smart firewall. Installed the game on its own [no WOTR] yet.
Did the DX9 stuff and ran it's app'. And installed patch 1.29.
Not setup JSGME yet. But will be as VonS's tuner is a MUST.
Time to give it a try. All looks good so far, no 'global layer' boxes, the resolution problem I had must have been my mistake in options, all good now.
Setup yet another pilot, I had an active pilot last time with over 22 hours, but now lost to 'Baron Von Uninstall'.
Controller settings, I'm getting an issue between 'button 1' on joystick and the 'POV'.
Now I've done these settings so many times I nearly know em off by heart, but something is different now.
I have a Logitech G940 stick, throttle & ped's. First I unbind everything except POV [no clue how to reset that],reset axis, all good so far.
Set 'blip' to button 2, virtual cockpit to button 5, still OK, all listed in there boxes.
But when I try to set button 1 'trigger' the pop up info box says it's set to button 1, but on options list the box is empty, and just above the POV box clears.
I now go to quick combat, in the seat start her up, take off, try guns with trigger all good so far. But when I go to external view and just touch the POV the guns start blasting till they jam.
I have set guns to another button, and It seems to work OK [and POV works] but it's instinctive to pull the trigger, so not too happy with that. Throttle & pedals seem to be working fine.
Also background programs always running are 'voice attack' and 'Open Track' head tracking, if that is relevant.
Any ideas ?.
Thanks again..

#4600886 - 06/02/22 05:57 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

That's a lot to take in, but glad you are up and running.

In WOFFKeys program, are you going to left side blue items and, in the second column on the left, under Filter Control Functions, selecting WeaponControl filter? Then chose "Fire All guns" ?. The red text that comes up just tells you its current assignment (which may be the same as the new button you click - that's fine.
Click on BIND and click on Yes when the "Button 1 is already bound..."
Click Save.

The POV issue is completely separate. Maybe just reassign to POV. To do that on the Right half of the window, in the Blue text click on Head POV. Now move the POV. Click Bind then Yes if asked.

Save.

Last edited by Polovski; 06/02/22 06:07 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4600975 - 06/03/22 06:22 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Weird, still no trigger button function. Everything else sets up OK.
I even reinstalled it Again as before. And reinstalled my head tracking, Trigger button is working fine on Cliffs of Dover.
Here's what I'm doing; Workshops, Controller, column 2 weapons tab, column 2 fire all guns. A big box pops up, I press the trigger, [and it bleeps] it says button 1, I click bind.
Column 3 top box, lose text for POV, column 3 bottom box [green] lose text for button 1 and POV. Anything I enter on button 1 jumps to POV without any text.
I set 'views F1' to trigger, just to check, and that only worked with D pad too.
Button 1 is completely dead in game now. Guns will work on button 2, but a bit awkward.
I can reset the POV, but button 1 will just overwrite it every time.
This is happening before and after any patches go on.
Joystick software settings are as they always were.
Odd, And If I get this fixed, what next. I'm grounded due to 'settings' most of the time as it is..

#4601028 - 06/04/22 09:59 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
And now the #%&*$# Global Layer error box is back...

#4601030 - 06/04/22 10:52 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

If it works fine, then suddenly a global layer error pops up, something must be interfering. or have changed on the system

Did you try what I said and reassign the POV (before you reinstalled ?) I can't keep up if I ask you to try something, best to just to try that and report the result. Do not reinstall.

Do you run any joystick/controller software?

What head tracking?

Best to contact us on support email jnhoward - it needs to be checked step by step - if you jump ahead and reinstall all bets are off and troubleshooting steps goes out of the window.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4601036 - 06/04/22 02:42 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Don't worry about it. I've given up with it now.

#4601101 - 06/05/22 07:58 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

OK if you come back to it contact us on support.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4601928 - 06/17/22 12:06 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hello again.
I had another go at it, Installed game on its own to a new SSD that screws to the motherboard.
First time out, no error boxes and trigger was working fine, all good.
Second time out, I got the 'global layers' box pop up again.
Turns out 'Norton' had started to block it on the load screens, [suss pious activity].
After excluding game from 'Norton', all seams ok again. All downloads & installs were done with security off.
I don't know why 'Norton' started jumping in Ingame. I've been playing this game for more than a year now and not had that happen before.
Anyhow it seems to be up and running again.
Good thing too, apart from the better gameplay I prefer your graphics, IL2s graphics in my opinion are too crisp, clean & poorly textured. Ok you can see for miles but I never feel like there is anyone below.
In a nutshell I think IL2 is lifeless on the ground. Where as WOFF has atmosphere in the air AND on the ground.
Got one request, can someone do a MOD for AMD users, so we can have water in the rivers ?. WOTR has blue rivers !.
I'm glad I have this running again, Thanks for your time..

#4601935 - 06/17/22 02:12 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by jnhoward
Got one request, can someone do a MOD for AMD users, so we can have water in the rivers ?. WOTR has blue rivers !.

Fascinating.

So, just to make sure I'm following: You're saying the water looks OK in WOTR, just not in WOFF?

#4601936 - 06/17/22 02:26 PM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great thanks for letting us know. Yes had to be something interfering as it works initially. I have had some bad times with Norton personally speaking many moons ago, so keep well clear.
It may be worth reporting it as a false positive to Norton so it won't do it again and will help others.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4601980 - 06/18/22 01:14 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Even my dog growls menacingly at the mere mention of Norton, all teeth and bristling fur. Like Pol I had major issues with this piece of rubbish software back in the day. I tried to uninstall it, but it kept reappearing like an unwelcome guest. It took over the deepest bowels of my computer and in my pure hatred of this "thing" I ventured (unwisely as it turned out) into the registry to delete all references to it. And so it was exorcised, but left my pc a sodden wreck. I cannot recommend it and never shall.

#4601985 - 06/18/22 03:40 AM Re: Insert disk ???? [Re: jnhoward]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Might I also suggest trying out the baked-in Windows Defender* gents, comes with Win 10/11 and works fine. To configure it further, if you have a pro ver. of Windows, you might wish also to download the free "ConfigureDefender" program located over here on GitHub (click on the green "Code" button while there and choose the "Download Zip" option).

Also don't forget to patch those other two major virus vectors on computers (web browser and email program) - AdGuard AdBlocker works great for browsers (the browser extension version is free, while the standalone AdGuard program, as far as I know, is not). For email programs, choose as per taste (I personally like the old-school Sylpheed since it doesn't support html and thereby gets rid of that other virus vector - html-enabled email).

Good computing times with such a combo and you'll be flying free and easy, with less hassles and more focus on important things -- like WoFF. smile

Cheers all,
Von S

* NOTE: Those still on Win7 are recommended to look for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) instead -- it's free too and is still being updated.

Last edited by VonS; 06/18/22 03:42 AM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.