Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4599489 - 05/12/22 09:44 PM Future of ARMA 5/17  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Bohemia is announcing something about ARMA on May 17th, as announced on their social media channels.

Hopefully, it’ll be A4 news and not another cDLC announcement.

Attached Files Screenshot_20220512-173530_Chrome.jpg
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4599521 - 05/13/22 10:49 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yeah, I think Bohemia has milked what they can milk from ArmA 3. I really hope they use a new graphics engine.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4599602 - 05/14/22 02:44 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Over at r/Arma over at Reddit, apparently the marketing details for ARMA Reforger have leaked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/upgink/arma_reforger_marketing_and_brand_guide_leak/ There is a file to download that has quite a bit of information.

Apparently the purpose of ARMA Reforger introduce Arma to a new (console-oriented) audience.

1980s setting on the updated Everon map, multiplayer game modes (PvP/PvE), 3 factions, 6 vehicles/18 variants, 15 weapons, 2 types of grenade and 13 combat roles. There is also a Game Master scenario editor and workshop with modding support.

I’m a bit concerned about the Game Master scenario editor. Hopefully they don’t dumb it down and only do a Zeus type of thing. To make this viable, we would need the proper scenario editor to make proper missions.

It’s good to see that modding and workshop is available. Maybe a lot of mod makers can port over A3 material.

They indicated that this is a ‘premium’ product. I wonder how much ‘premium’ will cost, considering only a ~55km2 island and small assortment of vehicles/weapons.

#4599618 - 05/15/22 11:34 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Well that's interesting if true. It confirms a few things (again, if true)

1 - That reforger is NOT Arma 4
2 - That its a basically a paid tech demo/showcase to test stuff before Arma 4
3 - To get feedback from the community about it
4 - That they hope enough people will buy it to help fun Arma 4
5 - That they seem to have learnt the mistakes they made during the Arma 3 launch (maybe no early access for arma 4?)
6 - No more future crap!!
4 - Get the hype train going for Arma 4!

All in all is sounds like a step in the right direction, even if its not arma 4, hopefully its fully modable and that arma 4 isnt to different so modders will be able to get a running start?

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4599625 - 05/15/22 02:29 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Well, I've bought everything the Op Flashpoint and then the Arma series has put out over the years, but if the eventual release of an Arma 4 does more of this future war stuff I certainly won't be interested.
To be honest, the best fun I have had with any Arma series was Arma 2.

#4599669 - 05/16/22 02:06 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by saghen

Apparently the purpose of ARMA Reforger introduce Arma to a new (console-oriented) audience.

This right here was a massive "record scratching" moment for me but then I read the detailed explanation from Meatshield so I am now fully assuaged. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4599744 - 05/17/22 08:34 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
ARMA 4 looks like it's going to be very visually appealing indeed!

#4599750 - 05/17/22 11:52 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Nice videos on Youtube about ARMA Reforger.

No proper mission editor nor good AI for PvE. Pass for me right now. If it was around $10-15, I'd probably be in, just to look around. But at $30, meh.

#4599763 - 05/18/22 10:27 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Based on everything I've seen so far Reforger is essentially ArmA "lite". I'll pass.

#4599767 - 05/18/22 11:24 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
as mentioned, its not meant to be a replacement for Arma3 OR be Arma4, its a test bed more than anything. But its a super solid start and some of the stuff in it are just awesome!

Basically, the futures bright!

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4599768 - 05/18/22 11:28 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: Meatsheild]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Meatsheild
as mentioned, its not meant to be a replacement for Arma3 OR be Arma4, its a test bed more than anything. But its a super solid start and some of the stuff in it are just awesome!

Yes I know all of that. What I'm saying is that I have zero interest in spending 30 USD for it.

#4599775 - 05/18/22 01:32 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
I was watching a couple of videos about it yesterday. The engine and environment looks pretty sweet. I think $30 is a bit much for it, for what they're offering. I mean, I just picked up Hell Let Loose for $22 this weekend on discount and that's basically a full game, which is epic, btw.

But I could see getting this, if they had a proper mission editor that we could make proper PvE missions, even with the limited assets available now...and functional AI.

But I really do want to get in there and see the terrain and rain effects, etc. Too bad they didn't offer their tech demo for free.

#4599802 - 05/18/22 06:33 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
There is a 6 hour trial on Xbox Series X/S.
Too bad they did not do this for PC.

#4599817 - 05/18/22 08:30 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Have to say, the detail is pretty amazing...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Trooper117; 05/19/22 08:31 PM.
#4599957 - 05/20/22 07:29 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
If there was a basic mission editor, even missing a lot of the advanced features of ArmA 3 I'd buy it. Just a 3D editor, allow us to edit loadouts, mission pass/fail conditions, weather, unit placement, waypoints. The basic stuff. Then I could justify messing around in it. As is, there is just real time multiplayer stuff. If you can't even test out a tech demo why bother?

#4600007 - 05/21/22 08:00 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Gin01 Offline
Gin01  Offline

Colorado
I'm watching Dyslecxi's video and have some thoughts:

1. I'm not against xbox or PS4, but in a lot of games, I think the console group and the PC group often want different things. Look at DCS vs. WarThunder or Iracing vs. Forza. Both fun and good gaming, but different experiences. I want ARMA to be a milsim game, not Bohemia's version of WarThunder. Unfortunately, society and gaming rewards lighter, quicker gaming and I'm concerned this will not grow the milsim community as much as have the kids do the other stuff. Look at how Rainbow 6 changed from hardcore anti-terror planning so basically 15 min shooter fests. Not saying current RB6 isn't fun, but do you want Sylvester Stallone action movie or Wild Geese? We know which one will sell, so the medium/hard core PC sim groups will suffer. But Bohemia has to make money and I understand that.

2. The smooth flow of stance/movement is a great idea; but hard to implement easily. The human body can do so many things quickly and smoothly and trying to get a computer interface to do all that is difficult due to input time and key limits. So having creep/walk/run isn't realistic, I just don't have the keys and time to pick a specific speed of motion for walking in the middle of a firefight that in real life my own kinematics and body would do with little thought. So, giving us options feels great, but can clog up game play. Think about the number of times one of us has dropped the satchel charge while trying to heal someone since they're all on the same menu. Opening a door in real life is smooth and fluid, not so much in games. Not sure there is a fix for this concern, but giving us even more ways of doing it may not be the answer.

3. I love the mantling concept and ARMA absolutely needs jumping and even dropping reasonable distances without hurting yourself. Now give me the ability to aim a pistol over the lip of something to shoot the guy in the room at the top of the ladder.

4. $30 for a tech demo is a bit much.

5. Open Alpha/Beta can be dangerous. Dayz open alpha was 'open' for like 5 years. A number of games were basically done with the community before it even got released. So they have to have a solid plan for this while still having some adaptability if things don't meet the schedule (they never do).

6. They HAVE to fix the wonky physics. We've all seen a tank fly into air after hitting a 6 inch berm that wouldn't even make them spill their coffee in real life. Other games that are much simpler can do this, any new ARMA product has to have this as basic requirements.

7. I'm willing to give them the opportunity to grow/develop; but I'm not paying to be a game tester without some reward (give me credit to ARMA4 for instance)

8. I don't need to flush a toilet or play the piano like they're showing in game, but if they're going to add those features, they need to show the person actually doing it, not just the invisible ghost doing it for you.

9. Not sure about the auto highlight feature of a potential action - like walking up to a door and showing me the key and action automatically can be an immersion killer; but to be honest I'm not sure I have the best solution. Their way is quicker, but is intrusive; our current way requires us to open a menu - so slower and prone to error if you pick the wrong items which is easy if you move your character or finger wrong.

10. Distance vision and grass needs to be worked on. It's easier to see someone at 200 feet since the grass cuts out than at 20 feet with grass. Not sure how much this is game engine vs. technology (graphics cards requirements and display technology).

11. They obviously have to move forward, they're actually probably late to market with ARMA4. As long as Reforger doesn't take away from ARMA4 development, but is complimentary.

#4600020 - 05/22/22 03:00 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Wow. That's quite a mouthful. Thanks for the contribution, Gin.

It seems to be sort of a cash grab, taking advantage of the hardcore ARMA players that want anything ARMA. What's in the game now is not $30. If they wanted to be be fairer, they would have gone a tiered system, like most other early access titles. Cheaper at the beginning and stepping up in price as more is added. They went ahead and charged $30 right now, when people can't even get into servers and it's crashing for a lot of people.

If they were so concerned about getting users and feedback and stress testing everything, they should have made it free, at least until the next major content drop. I would really like to tool around in Everon, but I don't want to buy it just for that.

#4600024 - 05/22/22 11:49 AM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
No-one has to buy it chaps... I agree the price is a bit much, but if someone can't stomach that then they don't buy it and wait for Arma 4 to release is the way forward.
Me, I had reservations, but in the end I wanted to see what Everon was like in the new game engine, plus, as an SP guy, more SP missions are starting to appear from the modding community.
RHS has already started to engage on the modding side, and if you have seen their large input into the modding scene in Arma 3 you know they will put forward some stunning stuff.

As an individual, on the Arma 3 side of things, I played more campaigns and single missions from the modding community than the stock game, so I'm going to continue that theme with Reforger.
There's already 20 odd pages worth of mods to choose from, and yes, some are pants, but some are already enhancing the game.
I'm looking forward to more content from the developers as well, so over the next year it should get better and better (hopefully)...

#4600030 - 05/22/22 04:03 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
While the Idea of a newer version of OPF Is really appealing to me, and I did have the Impression there were going to focus this on OFP as did others, there are things that are quite disturbing so to say...

This attitude of using there fan base to harvest not only there new game engine with mods, but also to fill there pocket´s Is downright shameful! Not only that but also dangerous, as someone already stated with the DayZ example where we were left In the cold for five years. There´s also the Included game Issues, I mean really after all the complains from your loyal fans after all these years, and the fact that your using a new game engine that you created, how can you even put out a tech demo, charge money for it and still have Issues with it? So are ArmA fans going to go through the same loop they did with ArmA III? Which means 3-4 years from now we might have a semi-stable ArmA 4 platform with no guarantee of a fully working product?

There Is a trend that you can blame any Issues you have as a dev to your product being In WIP, so yeah lest grab 30 bucks from you, let the fan boys feed the cow while we milk It. Oh and hey, this Is normalized now by most fans boys so don´t even try to give a truthful opinion because you will end up being the oddball weirdo of the group (fill my name here).

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4600045 - 05/22/22 09:06 PM Re: Future of ARMA 5/17 [Re: saghen]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
So are ArmA fans going to go through the same loop they did with ArmA III?

Well, lets hope not, but people can always walk away if they don't like it, and if enough people shun it, then the developers might have to rethink their position.
I'll milk it for what I can get out of it, and if it doesn't come up to par then I'll walk away from it and lesson learnt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.