Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#459932 - 01/29/03 11:10 PM Shoot! Shoot!  
fido Offline
fido  Offline

Bradford,England,West Yorkshir...
Just as I'm smugly lining up for a kill,I jump out of my skin (get distracted)when I hear "that's it shoot him" or "shoot,shoot".Anyone know how to disable this or replace it?
Sounds like a damn Seargent Pilot too,it's just not good enough.
No seriously I've experienced similar on other sims, distraction at a crucial moment
to make things more difficult. I'd feel happier jumping out of my skin as tracer whipped past me.
fido

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#459933 - 01/29/03 11:17 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never could figure out if he was talking to me or not.

I've learned to ignore the b%*$#@.

#459934 - 01/29/03 11:59 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I beleive that you can switch off the radio messages-probably from the sound controller options screen. Either that or turn it down a bit

The Cat

#459935 - 01/30/03 12:00 AM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
You're easily distracted, old boy

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.
#459936 - 01/30/03 12:22 AM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
DickDastardly Offline
DickDastardly  Offline

nowhere much
The offending file is probably \OthExt\EXCIT.wav

Check the section from 28.7 - 34.2 secs in the wav editor of your choice.

"PRETEXTS TO JUSTIFY US MILITARY INTERVENTION IN CUBA"

"3. A "Remember the Maine" incident could be arranged in several forms:

a. We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba.

b. We could blow up a drone (unmanned) vessel anywhere in the Cuban waters.

... Casualty lists in US newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation.

4. We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington." (p8)

"7. Hijacking attempts against civil air and surface craft should appear to continue as harassing measures condoned by the government of Cuba.

8. It is possible to create an incident which will demonstrate convincingly that a Cuban aircraft has attacked and shot down a chartered civil airliner enroute from the United States...

a. An aircraft at Eglin AFB would be painted and numbered as an exact duplicate for a civil registered aircraft... At a designated time the duplicate would be substituted for the actual civil aircraft and would be loaded with the selected passengers all boarded under carefully prepared aliases. The actual registered aircraft would be converted to a drone." (p10)

Operation Northwoods Document - 9 March 1962
#459937 - 01/30/03 12:54 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
BennyTJorgensen Offline
BennyTJorgensen  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Fido !
Many combat pilots turned their radios off to prevent "information overload".
Best cure is to have a good #2 to watch your back, while you do the chasing ;O)
Happy Landings
Benny

#459938 - 01/30/03 04:53 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Borton Offline
Borton  Offline

Wiltshire, England
Yes, I agree that some of the radio messages are a bit daft.

The one that REALLY irritates me is "They're shooting at us!". Deary me - how awfully unsporting of them!

It would be nice to be able to remove or edit some of these messages

------------------
Wizard prang!
Biggles

Biggles

#459939 - 01/30/03 05:23 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Borton:

It would be nice to be able to remove or edit some of these messages

[/B]

Actually it is rather easy. But then you should to record all other sounds too.

I did the mastering plus one voice for Forgotten Battles and it wasn't too difficult.
I am ready to help in mastering if someone with authentic British or German accent wants to record a new set of sounds.

MuzaK

#459940 - 01/30/03 05:50 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Austria
Thanks for the offer ! I´m looking into making 4 (2 raf/2 lw) additional voices available, we may need your help then

Mr. Zorg: If ya want something done...do it yourself!!
#459941 - 01/30/03 06:00 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Retro:
Thanks for the offer ! I´m looking into making 4 (2 raf/2 lw) additional voices available, we may need your help then

OK! Here is my email: matti.karki@finndesign.fi

MuzaK

#459942 - 01/30/03 06:37 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Bully Offline
Bully  Offline

Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Engl...
Please change 'enemy bandits'. For some reason it completely destroys the realism for me.

Only temporarily though ;-)

#459943 - 01/30/03 07:03 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Redband Offline
Redband  Offline

Oregon, USA
Yes, I find "they're shooting at us!" to be rather tiresome. Wanted to find that pilot and shoot him down myself, might even get a medal for it.

Instead of "enemy bandits" could we have "danger, danger, danger" in the crocodile hunters' sounding voice?

Redband

#459944 - 01/31/03 12:03 AM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Borton Offline
Borton  Offline

Wiltshire, England
Ok, Muzak, I have what used to be known as a BBC Voice - not quite 1940s English officer class but close.

Would be happy to supply any new sounds as requested. I have a Creative SD-50 mike and have used Sound Forge and Wave Studio.

Presumably some of the current sounds are specific to a known or anticipated situtation and one would have to be careful when messing about with these. Idle chitchat is another matter!

------------------
Wizard prang!
Biggles

Biggles

#459945 - 01/31/03 12:12 AM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Borton Offline
Borton  Offline

Wiltshire, England
Sorry, another point!

I was recently quite correctly admonished by Bader for complaining that there weren't any warning shouts. Quite forgot about e.g. "He's in close and firing!", "Engaging bandit on your tail!" and "Above and below!".

However, I would dearly love a loud shout of "Behind you, Green 2!" or whatever position you are flying.

Biggles

#459946 - 01/31/03 03:12 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Borton,

It looks like EXCIT.wav contains all British voice samples in a row in one long file without gaps. So, I guess there is somewhere a guide, a file that tells BoB how long each sample should be. Maybe Osram knows?

If you can record all or some of the substitute samples, I can help make them sound like coming from old headphones.

And we need someone to explain how to edit the "guiding file" or how the system works. We also need suggestions what are good replacement phrases. Actually a list of all used and possible sounds wouldn't hurt....

Maybe it's ok if there are several different voices? Then battles would sound like there are a lot of people...

Some points for recording:
- File format is 44100 Hz 16 Bit mono.This will be reduced later to 11025 Hz mono 8 Bit.
- Aim at -1 dB volume level all the time.
- Leave at least 1 second gap between each phrase
- Exaggerate your emotions when recording. But you don't have to shout all the time like the present guy in BoB.
- If you say "Bandits, 6 o'clock!", make it sound more desperate than "Bandits,1 o'clock!".

My favorite sound mod is for Jane's WW2 Fighters where someone has gathered different samples from EAW, IL2 and others and made wonderfull radio chitchat that is on all the time. It sounds and feels like you are not alone.

Ugh,
MuzaK

#459947 - 01/31/03 03:22 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm.. I noticed there are several files containg voice samples. More than 20 files... and also in several folders: Other, OthExt,Player, PlyExt etc.
WHoaa!! This project needs more investigation.

MuzaK

#459948 - 01/31/03 03:28 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Borton Offline
Borton  Offline

Wiltshire, England
Pass!

------------------
Wizard prang!
Biggles

Biggles

#459949 - 01/31/03 11:15 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
DickDastardly Offline
DickDastardly  Offline

nowhere much
You can figure out where some of the wav segments are played from playing experience, others are harder.

I guess it takes a number of segments from each wav file as it needs them and arranges them in order to get the required phrase.
There appear to be wavs for Sections, Squadrons, Airfields, Numbers, and assorted phrases which appear to have some variations for the same situation AFAICS.
Some of the wav files (alot actually) are blank, which makes you think they had even more ambitious stuff planned that didn't work out, or maybe the inevitable //dead code.

All the Rowan wavs are a bit strange in that they don't play in winamp, report Riff chunk incorrect, and Goldwave requests the Sample rate, quantiser bitsize etc. Maybe they stripped the file header for some reason(?)

"PRETEXTS TO JUSTIFY US MILITARY INTERVENTION IN CUBA"

"3. A "Remember the Maine" incident could be arranged in several forms:

a. We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba.

b. We could blow up a drone (unmanned) vessel anywhere in the Cuban waters.

... Casualty lists in US newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation.

4. We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington." (p8)

"7. Hijacking attempts against civil air and surface craft should appear to continue as harassing measures condoned by the government of Cuba.

8. It is possible to create an incident which will demonstrate convincingly that a Cuban aircraft has attacked and shot down a chartered civil airliner enroute from the United States...

a. An aircraft at Eglin AFB would be painted and numbered as an exact duplicate for a civil registered aircraft... At a designated time the duplicate would be substituted for the actual civil aircraft and would be loaded with the selected passengers all boarded under carefully prepared aliases. The actual registered aircraft would be converted to a drone." (p10)

Operation Northwoods Document - 9 March 1962
#459950 - 02/01/03 07:55 AM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Redband Offline
Redband  Offline

Oregon, USA
The source code does have a list of phrases and their corresponding .wavs. What is amazing is the sheer number of phrases, or variations of, that I have never heard in the game. I am not sure why we do not hear more of them; one possible reason is that some are used only in the campaign. Possibly something Osram or retro could shed light on this, when they have time

Redband

#459951 - 02/01/03 05:23 PM Re: Shoot! Shoot!  
Sneaky Offline
Sneaky  Offline

Cornwall, England
Hello there - did you catch my recentish post about replacing those offending .wavs?

Freddyb over at EAW has given permission for the use of his RAF speach pack wavs for use in BoB if we want them...they're very good IMHO.

EAW sound files are .snd type and I have a utilty to convert them to .RAW, which you just rename to .wav and you have wavs.

Is this of any help, Musac...or anyone??

S!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.