Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4599113 - 05/08/22 08:24 PM On Workshop options  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

I just finished watching Rick’s “How to WOFF,” which are excellent by the way Rick.

I’m not equipped to make videos but I thought it a good idea to start a thread for Players/Spieler to talk about player options they favor which Rich touched on but didn’t have time to explain in a vid of reasonable length.
So, I invite everyone to talk about your one or two of your favorite options and tell us why you like them.

The one I wanted to start it off with is the All/Top Aces Only option.

We all have our own approach to the Sim. Mine is a little different from Ricks’s and opposite in one particular area. Rick prefers to use only the Top Aces, I prefer to have them all.

For those of you who are new to WOFF, have a look at the Skin Pack when you get a chance. There really are thousands of minor ace skins, mostly with well researched, authentic paint jobs.

One of my main motivators to play the Sim is to imagine flying with these pilots. To see them on either side of me, know their names and something about the real pilots they represent. For me, this offers a deeper level of immersion and you’re missing a real treat that you paid for which is sitting in your computer taking up space.

The personal markings on the machines add as much atmosphere and flavor to the Sim as the detailed clouds and landscape.

To illustrate, below you’ll see two shots of Jasta 39 and two from Jasta 15, one with All skins (some are from the User Skins Mod) and the same Jasta with theTop Aces Only option. Jasta 15 was an elite unit with lots of top and minor aces while Jasta 39 has only a few minor ones.

You can look up your comrades, most of them have a back story, a real one, see what information is there on them, often much more than you would expect. This can be done by going to the Intelligence Room and then looking in Pilot Dossiers or you can do a little research in your personal library if you have one.

My go to books, since I usually fly German, are The Jasta Pilots and Above the Lines. These are published by Grub Street Press who also publishes similar books on the Allied Pilots. And, of course, there is always good old Google.

You can Google or look up the enemies you face and maybe are lucky enough to shoot down, see how successful they were. See what stage in their career they were when you met and maybe defeated them or watched them circle above you as you burned.

That brings up another option you can use when your in Campaign, just toggle the labels to “labels Identity” and it will tell you if your opponent has a name.

It gives me much more satisfaction in a kill to say “I shot down so and so” rather than just “I shot down a Camel.”

Yes, the aces don’t die, even if shot down in flames, until their historical time to go west. They also don’t get credited with kills until they historically got credit regardless of how many they do or do not shoot down. This is because they represent real pilots who had a real life.

You may say to yourself, that’s just not realistic.

Unrealistic would be a sky without these pilots in their individual and sometimes highly decorated machines.

You have the same option the aces have, you can choose the “Pilot Never Dies” option. You may get shot down, but even a flaming death only results in a little longer hospital stay.

Yes, I use this option much of the time. Think I’m a “Farb” if you want to but I’m not that great a pilot and I like to stick around awhile sometimes.

And hey…this is Valhalla, (though I imagine most of the real pilots would think of it as Hell rather than a reward), they fight, they kill or they die and rise again to feast and carouse then ‘to bed…for tomorrow….BATTLE!

Play around with the options that are there and see what’s right for you, and most of all have fun. Whatever you choose to use….nobody’s watching.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] ]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files all.jpgJ39 DVa lineup.jpgz1.jpgz2.jpgz3.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 05/09/22 12:57 AM.
#4599315 - 05/11/22 01:48 AM Re: On Workshop options [Re: jerbear]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Thanks for the info Jerbear. I always wondered about the Aces option. Your addon skins contribute even more to what Pol and WM have already built into WOFF. Thank you SIr!

Think I’m a “Farb” if you want to but I’m not that great a pilot and I like to stick around awhile sometimes. ???? confused

So, I looked it up.

"Farb is a derogatory term used in the hobby of historical reenacting in reference to participants who are perceived to exhibit indifference to historical authenticity, either from a material-cultural standpoint or in action. It can also refer to the inauthentic materials used by those reenactors."

Maybe I am wrong but, I would assume using a modern day computer to reenact WWI aerial combat would be inauthentic. So, personally I wouldn't consider you a Farb jerbear, but I would consider all that fly WOFF Farbs. Oh, and I am not that great of a pilot myself so you are not alone in that boat Sir. I have fun flying WOFF win lose or draw and that is what I am here for. thumbsup

S!Blade<><

#4599427 - 05/12/22 02:16 PM Re: On Workshop options [Re: Blade_Meister]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Good to hear from you Blade

Yep, just about any of us being a fighter pilot in WW1 is a stretch. Especially in the US where they were almost all, (Rick being a notable exception) the cream of the young and privileged. They were like the Astronauts of their time.

Keep hav/in fun.

Jerry H.

pilot

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM