Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4599181 - 05/09/22 05:47 PM Help required learning Falcon BMS  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Hello everyone!

I am new to Falcon 4.0 and this is my first message. I purchased and installed Falcon 4.0 from Steam five days ago in order to take advantage of its modern update of the Benchmark Sims, of which I downloaded and installed the current version 4.36. I believe I have all the original manuals, especially the Dash-1, Main Checklist and BMS Training. I started the "Ramp" mission three days ago and I struggled to get to communications - and here I am stranded: I absolutely cannot understand how to communicate with the control tower and everything else - I am in total confusion between DTC, COMM1 & 2, UHF, VHF, frequencies (I see that I can only set one, but in the briefing there are many ...), etc.
I managed to start the engine, I can get to the runway and take off, but if I can't communicate with anyone I don't know what I'm doing ...
Please, simple help! I would hate to give up on this beautiful simulator with its engaging dynamic campaign and one that reminds me of the much fun I had thirty years ago with its venerable predecessor: Falcon 3.0. Thanks!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4599183 - 05/09/22 06:04 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
To set your tower comms, use the DTC. On the lower right of the planning map screen is the DTC button, looks like a USB stick I think. In the comms section find an unused preset channel and click set tower and save. Be sure you're tuned to that channel when you enter the jet and you should get clearance and chocks removal.

Let's say you put your base on channel 18. If not already tuned to it in the jet, on the ICP hit

Comms 1
Enter

That should get you talking with the tower.

This assumes it all still works the same.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4599208 - 05/09/22 09:36 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
D is on the ball

But make sure you have your data cartridge setup the right way.

4.36 has some new atc stuff so im not fully up on it yet and still trying to get a grasp on it myself...

#4599218 - 05/09/22 10:56 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by DBond
To set your tower comms, use the DTC. On the lower right of the planning map screen is the DTC button, looks like a USB stick I think. In the comms section find an unused preset channel and click set tower and save. Be sure you're tuned to that channel when you enter the jet and you should get clearance and chocks removal.

Let's say you put your base on channel 18. If not already tuned to it in the jet, on the ICP hit

Comms 1
Enter

That should get you talking with the tower.

This assumes it all still works the same.

Thank you so much! But I've some questions (maybe silly, pardon me). I tried to condense them in following figure:

[Linked Image]

Finally, I would like to know what is ICP... (sorry)

#4599321 - 05/11/22 06:55 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
It worked! And it's wonderful to be able to communicate with the tower, even if I still don't understand how I did it! Because the suggestion you gave me can't always make it work; above all, I cannot get ALL the radio frequencies pre-set in the DTC (which I managed to obtain only once, in the various attempts I have made), without having to enter them manually.
It remains to be figured out (for this short training mission) how to communicate for the second part of the flight, because I can't get any help landing. I did the latter on sight, all the times damaging the plane and with a start of fire (perhaps because it was too steep?), Except the last one, which I did in the external view. I notice that in communicating the approach frequency, the tower skips the first digit (2). Ad maiora!

#4599336 - 05/11/22 01:41 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK well that's progress. Sorry, this forum's been dead and I'm not used to checking here these days.

I haven't flown Falcon in a long time, to my eternal disgrace. Not up to date with the latest.

But I will say you don't need to punch in every VHF on the map. Just your home base, and I usually set a divert field somewhere along the return leg. Actually the way I started to do it was just to pre-set several common bases, say Kimpo, Seoul, Kangnung and Choongwon and leave them there for all missions. This way I always had one ready to go regardless of where I wanted to set down. But there's no need to fill all the presets I don't think,

It's great you're getting in to it and I'll help if I can, but my long layoff makes my assistance questionable at best.

I want to add you have a strong screenshot game, nicely done and that will help us help you I think.

#4599525 - 05/13/22 11:46 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi Greybeard I too am a noob regarding Falcon BMS 4.36 ..there’s a Facebook page that I recently joined that has given me some excellent advice.

I’ve downloaded the manuals from the docs folder to my iPad so that I can pause/freeze the sim at any time and look at the manuals for any advice I need. Also I was told to watch YouTube vids to learn ..the popular advice given was to join a virtual squadron to learn baby steps with a more experienced flyer.

I’ve spent a few hours now over the last week and I can cold start..contact ATC, use steer points etc and take off and land quite proficiently. I’m going to spend some time learning about the data cartridge and how it works before I move onto ILS landings and then A-A and A-G operations. Little steps at a time is what I’ve been told..if there’s any experienced flyers on here who has any further recommendations then I’m always willing to accept advice..cheers all have a pleasant day.
Regards Adger.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4599536 - 05/13/22 02:02 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Thanks DBond and Adger,
actually learning this simulator is very challenging. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of manuals and cannot read them all. I found the following video very useful, it still took me hours to go through its step-by-step exam, but it allowed me to get ready for take-off without any alarms on board! I don't think it will be possible for me to take lessons online, but I hope that with other Youtube videos I will be able to reach what my goal is: the dynamic campaign, described as engaging and with excellent artificial intelligence.

#4599542 - 05/13/22 03:12 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks for the post Greybeard I’ll definitely have a look at that video, yeah I’ll also possibly struggle to go online with a training instructor, work and the time difference in other countries make it difficult.

It’s a in-depth simulation I’m just hoping to learn one step at a time and hope I don’t forget things along the way biggrin ..very best of luck going forwards I certainly know from my end that I’ve got to be patient in learning BMS..I usually fly less complex sims like Wings over Flanders fields,
IL1946 with B.A.T etc so this is a completely new ball game. Enjoy pal

Regards Adger

Edit: Cheers Dbond for chipping in with your help pal.

We will remember them.
#4599574 - 05/13/22 11:09 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Adger]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by Adger
... yeah I’ll also possibly struggle to go online with a training instructor, work and the time difference in other countries make it difficult.

Not only, also the language barrier.

IL1946 ...

I spent ten years playing with that; a great game.

My first sensations with this Falcon 4.0 BMS are... compelling, electrifying. Excellent level of artificial intelligence that can already be noticed from the contacts with the control tower during taxiing.

Enjoy you too, mate!

#4599591 - 05/14/22 10:49 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I thought someone might find the simplified checklist I worked out at the end of this ramp start session useful.

(I took for granted the knowledge of some acronyms like HUD, ECM, IFF. The following list skips the controls that I have deemed cosmetic or eye-candy.)
Code
1. MAIN PWR switch		BATT
 2. Canopy			Closed – locked (spider) - no light
 3. ENGINE FEED knob		NORM
 4. AIR SOURCE knob		NORM
 5. Aircraft Lights		As SOP [Standard Operating Procedure] (AC ON – Wing/fus: ON – FLASH) [MASTER to NORM]
 6. COM1 & COM2 Vol knob	Set both CW (turns radio ON) [UHF knob to BOTH]
 7. Set ON the INTERCOM and ILS on AUDIO 2 panel
 8. MAIN PWR Switch		MAIN PWR
 9. JFS				START 2 [Jet Fuel Starter]
10. THROTTLE			Advance to IDLE at 25% RPM minimum [SEC - Secondary (SEC) engine control - caution light: check OFF around 20% RPM - wait for the RPM to go up to about 72% and stabilize]
11. AVIONICS POWER Panel
 a. MMC (FCC) switch: 		ON [Modular Mission Computer (old FCC)]
 b. ST STA (SMS) switch: 	ON [Store Stations (old SMS)]
 c. MFD switch: 		ON [Multi-Function Displays]
 d. UFC switch: 		ON [Up Front Controls: Data Entry Display (DED) and a keyboard known as the Integrated Control Panel (ICP).]
 e. DL switch: 			ON [Data Link]
 f. EGI [Embedded GPS/INS]: 	Select ALIGN NORM after display visible on the DED
 c. ECM switch: 		Set as required (OPR)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12. [HMCS:			take the knob all the way forward (INC)]<--- Helmet Mounted Cueing System: only if required
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Depress the lower right POWER button on the TWA (THREAT WARNING AUX), located on the left auxiliary console and the SYSTEM POWER green light illuminates.
14. Chaff & Flares CMDs:	
 a. MWS				ON [Missile Warning System]
 b. JMR				ON [JaMmeR]
 c. RWR				ON [Radar Warning Receiver]
 d. 01				ON
 e. 02				ON
 f. CH				ON [CHaff]
 g. FL				ON [FLares]
 h. MODE			MAN
15. HANDOFF button (left RWR)	press that once
16. HUD Panel: 			As desired
				Set HUD SYM WHEEL ON
17. SNSR PWR panel: 
 a. LEFT HDPT switch: 		As required 
 b. RIGHT HDPT switch: 		As required 
 c. FCR switch: 		FCR (initiates FCR PO BIT) [Fire Control Radar - Power ON Built-In Test]
 d. RDR ALT switch 		STBY
18. SEAT 			Adjust
19. DTC: 			Load [Data Transfer Cartridge - on the right MFD hit DTE and then hit LOAD] (always load the DTC prior to setting up the UFC subpages)
20. IFF PANEL 			IFF MASTER: 	NORM
				CNI (C&I) knob: UFC [Communication, Navigation and Identification]
21. Request EPU PIN removal from the Ground ATC menu
22. FLCS panel: 		FLCS reset (FLCS light & PFD off) [FLight Control System]
23. UFC radio: 			Set COM1 & COM2 frequency as briefed. [COM1 on 2 and ENTER]
				ATIS [Automated Terminal Information Service]: Listen to departure airbase VHF ATIS freq
24. Hit "T" on your keyboard until we see QNH and then press "1". Listen at QNH and set it on your altimeter by left bottom knob.
25. Check on FLT CONTROL panel on the left side that RUN test has terminated and go on the left hand MFD where we hit TEST and then CLEAR.
26. When RDY is flashing on the DED (Data Entry Display) set EGI on NAV on the AVIONICS POWER panel.
27. Turn ON oxygen regulator.
28. Arm seat.
29. Turn ON TAXI LIGHTS.
30. ANTI-COLL on C.
31. SHIFT+key immediately to its left to get nose-wheel steering.
32. Request chocks removal from the Ground ATC menu.

#4599599 - 05/14/22 01:33 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Adger]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Adger

Cheers Dbond for chipping in with your help pal.

Don't mention it. Happy to have some Falcon talk around here, even if I'm only able to help in a cursory way because I'm out of the loop.

It's the best combat sim ever and well worth the time. Happy to see you guys giving it a go. Good hunting.

#4599611 - 05/14/22 08:24 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Cheers Greybeard for the checklist I’ll definitely try it out.

@DBond ..no plans atm of getting back into BMS 4.36 pal? Or is your time spent flying other titles. Cheers

We will remember them.
#4599612 - 05/14/22 08:48 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Never say never right? I recently went back and read all of the AARs we were putting up a few years ago here for our SimHQ online campaigns and I must admit it did trip that trigger.

I'm in to sim racing these days, but you never know smile

Still have a couple Cougars and bought a set of Crosswinds, so yeah, I could see it. If you guys keep talking about it I may not resist!

#4599759 - 05/18/22 05:49 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I am going through the reading of the second training lesson and I want to say that the greatest difficulty I encounter (in this chapter as in the previous one) is the excessive number of acronyms: it is already difficult to understand the subject with things called as they are, but if then you have to remember every time what this or that acronym stands for, the matter becomes frustrating! But so be it! I think that scolding Americans for using too many acronyms would be like scolding kangaroos for jumping, which is perfectly useless! Personally I found the list at the following link of some help:

https://www.f-16.net/glossary.html

Last edited by Greybeard; 05/18/22 05:49 AM.
#4599772 - 05/18/22 12:30 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
IKR, RTFM. YMMV.

But seriously, acronyms are key to sounding like a fighter pilot smile

To project the right image you need the right shades, all the acronyms and be able to use both hands to show the listener the relative positions and attitudes of the aircraft in the incident you are describing.

#4599848 - 05/19/22 06:46 AM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
But seriously, acronyms are key to sounding like a fighter pilot smile

biggrin

Sorry, a silly question: manual says "go to buster (full MIL power)"... But I wonder how? confused The only way I've right now is go to external view and watch for AB lighting up or not... frown Manuals also instruct how to set AB detent (green line), but I've no physical detents on my throttle, so I can't "feel" the limit! Is there any KB command (like Alt+I for idle) also for AB detent?

#4599864 - 05/19/22 12:55 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have detents on one of my throttles, and took them out in the other one. I don't know what the keyboard commands are for it, and it depends on which key file you're using. I want to say "0" is mil but that's just a guess.

You can make an edit to display engine RPM percentage in the HUD. I use this to judge where the throttle position is. I think it transitions from mil to 'burner around 103%

It can be seen in this shot lower left in the HUD

[Linked Image]

#4599870 - 05/19/22 01:54 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: DBond]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
You can make an edit to display engine RPM percentage in the HUD.

Great! But how to edit HUD?

#4599872 - 05/19/22 02:00 PM Re: Help required learning Falcon BMS [Re: Greybeard]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Is it this?

set g_bNoRPMOnHud 1 in the bms.cfg file

Or make it 0 if it is already at 1. I can't recall.

Good hunting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.