Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4599089 - 05/08/22 02:40 PM SimHQ Hotlap Challenge  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
NimRud and I were shooting the sh!t on the server and and thought it would be fun to run a challenge series. I hope he doesn't mind me claiming his endorsement, he may want to distance himself from such an endeavor!

The plan is to post a different challenge on a regular rotation, and anyone up for it can make the attempt and post his top result. Let's say run it for a week, and everyone can make as many attempts and submissions as they want to. Mix up the sim, car and track combinations over time so everyone can get a shot in his favorites.

So let's give it a go and see

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event #1

2018 Bentley Continental @ Brand's Hatch

Assetto Corsa Competizione

Event Winner : NimRud

Run the lap in Hotlap mode to give everyone the same conditions. Lap must be valid. No other restrictions on this one.

I have yet to drive the Bentley and watching Frank inspired me to give it a go. I picked a car/track that requires no DLC (I hope)

Good luck! New event starts in one week's time.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4599108 - 05/08/22 07:26 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Had a little time to kill before the F1 race and gave this a go. I set this up for the 2019 Bentley, which I don't think is a thing. So 2018 Bentley then.

Quite a shift coming from the 991, and I struggled with both entry understeer and exit oversteer with the safe setup. The longer sweepers, like the exit to the final turn on to the pitstraight were difficult to put the power down without kicking the rear out a bit. The steering wheel's on the wrong side too smile

I dialed out some of that bad stuff and managed to be running low 28s, but there's still quite a bit of the bad stuff in it.

I'll give it another go after the F1 race and post up what happens.

#4599119 - 05/08/22 10:18 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Bentley gives me some trouble, hard to tame, or not well suited to my hamfistedness. But this is fun because it will give me reason to try all sorts of cars and work out the setup challenges. Here's my submission 1:27.987

Distilling the many laps down like this in the UI does show your fastest lap in the session (green), but all the sector times are your best, even if they weren't in this fast lap. It's better than showing all 13 laps or whatever. So the purples would be theoretical best (1:27.560 in my case), but green is the actual fast lap from the session.

Attached Files HotEvent1.jpg

#4599141 - 05/09/22 11:38 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Mine was 1:30.6 something... I have had trouble with that Bentley... not getting on with it at all...

#4599142 - 05/09/22 11:46 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: Trooper117]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Originally Posted by Trooper117
Mine was 1:30.6 something... I have had trouble with that Bentley... not getting on with it at all...

Well the Bentley Is supposed to be the best stable and beginner friendly car In ACC. Just goes to show that all this Is subjective. Same goes for what was good then Is now something of the past.

We might have played a ton of Ghost Recon In 00, and be real good at It, but does It compare to what Is on the market now? Just a example...

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4599143 - 05/09/22 12:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice work Troop! Brand's Hatch is a tricky track and the car isn't an easy one to tame. Good lap mate!

I think part of why this car feels tricky is what you're used to. I'd bet if we'd been lapping a lot in say the BMW or Mercedes the Bentley would feel much more familiar. But if you've been driving some of the other cars, especially the ones with their motors in a different place, it feels a little foreign. My first laps in the Bentley felt like I was driving an articulated truck, the rear end is it's own separate part, whipping around back there smile

But that's after a couple hundred laps in the 991 and the feel is quite different. I attempted to set it up to feel closer to what I want and anyway that lap I put up is just three-tenths off my PB here.

Come on gentlemen, give it a shot.

#4599152 - 05/09/22 01:59 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Brands Hatch is the first track I got 3 stars on, followed by Snetterton... I know the tracks pretty well from playing PCars 2.
I think my laps in the Bentley were a mess really. I'm sure my best time was a fluke as I've not been able to replicate it, lol!
Still, it's all good fun with a good learning curve!

#4599157 - 05/09/22 02:45 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Did a quick run with the Bentley and noticed afterwards Derek was using the fast track setting. That´s quite a different feeling from optimal settings.

Managed to reach a high 1:25 with that setting somehow.

Attached Files ACC_Bentley_Hotlap_1-25-84.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4599158 - 05/09/22 02:48 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice one Frank!

OK yeah good point. My track was hotter and I had wind. I thought if we all did Hotlap mode it would be consistent. What's going on? Is it because I have dynamic weather enabled? I thought Hotlap was laboratory conditions. Which conditions do we want? Maybe I can go faster!

1:25 I cannot touch!

Yet....

Thanks for giving it a go gents.

#4599269 - 05/10/22 12:54 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hadn't been paying close enough attention, and didn't bother to consider conditions would be different depending on settings until NimRud pointed it out.

So I gave this another go yesterday, but turned off dynamic weather, which dropped the temp a couple degrees and killed the breeze. Of course that breeze might have been a tailwind down the longest straight, I dunno. And I chose optimal track. So I was set to crank out a new PB but I only managed to beat my submitted lap by a few hundredths.

So any thoughts on conditions for the challenges? Is it important to have a level field here? No changes for this week, but thinking about the next one. Feel free to suggest cars, tracks and sims for the rotation. One week's probably too long so I'll put up the second installment in the next couple of days. But anyone coming along later is still eligible for any that came before I'd say. Just post up the proof smile

#4599438 - 05/12/22 03:25 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, with zero feedback biggrin

Winner of event number 1 is our very own NimRud. great lap man. I've turned several hundred at Brand's Hatch and can't touch that lap time. Great driving.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 2

2017! BMW M6 GT3 @ Spa

Event Winner : NimRud

With no feedback I'll leave the conditions settings open, optimal track is fine. No restrictions. It's all for fun and you can make the track and weather as optimal as desired. Good luck!

#4599467 - 05/12/22 08:03 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Well, I am not shy am I? biggrin

Since I bought the wheel in the end of April I have not used it much.
But when I have I`m having a good time.
Genuine newbie I am.

So I have never been on SPA.
I drove around the track 3 times just to learn it quickly. Then I recorded a time.

I realise it is very weak, but considering my status I select to post it here for the record.
The reason is that I can go back here and hopefully see how much I have progressed since rthe start.

Another reason is that it can show other newbies that you have to start somewhere. And accept it.
The enjoyment is about improving.
I have raced Brand`s Hatch a little.
The moment I improved the lap with 5 seconds was really satisfying.

Now I will try and improve on Spa. biggrin

Your turn Sir!

[Linked Image]

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4599470 - 05/12/22 08:11 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Awesome! Great job mate. How's the car around Spa? Haven't tried it myself but will later.

Two tips.... drop the fuel for just some laps, I like to set out with 30-35l for hotlapping, and nudge those pressures up about a one full psi. Well do as you like, but I think there's time to be found in those two adjustments smile

As your pace improves the pressures will come up too, so it's something to constantly monitor and adjust as you get faster.

You are in a practice session if you can run with that much fuel, which is OK. By the way I wanted to mention, because it's important, that in hotlap mode your tires reset every time you come across the line. It's just the way it is, but it means that the standard advice to set pressures low enough that they come up in to the window is bad advice in that mode. They should be set for one-lap pace from the off for hotlap mode (which Wigean is not in)

Originally Posted by Wigean

The enjoyment is about improving.

Agreed. Good luck!

#4599471 - 05/12/22 08:15 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Sorry.
The laptime is from Spa today.
The car feels good tome.
A liittle challenging for me when timing brakes/throttle, especially in the downhill section .

Last edited by Wigean; 05/12/22 08:22 PM.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4599473 - 05/12/22 08:19 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, not sure what you mean? Let's leave this up to any session, and slipstreaming is now a thing for the hotlap challenge at Spa!

#4599499 - 05/12/22 10:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Which car did you drive? When I set these I'm not at home so search for a list of cars in ACC on the web to make a selection. The thing I saw today said 2019 BMW M6 GT3. But now that I've gone to give this a go, I choose Open and have no such car? Do I not have all the DLC? There's a 2017 version of the same model and I'll drive that. I clicked through all series and yes, I don't have this car. I've now failed to set an actual car for the challenge both times. I chose a car I don't have in the first one too.

Do you guys have the 2019 version? Which series is it supposed to be in? And all would be available in open right?

#4599506 - 05/12/22 11:55 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I have the 2017 version only DB.

Sorry if I goofed the Hotlap challenge.
Couldn`t find the hotlap mode so I did a training session.
You could lead me to it, or I will find out tomorrow.

Anyway, I`ve watched some sports and news from Ukraina, plus a glass of wine. I will continue tomorrow. smile

Wigean out.

#4599512 - 05/13/22 03:34 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When I originally put this thing up I thought Hotlap mode would be a good setting to put everyone in the same conditions -- weather and track. But it soon became evident (thanks Frank) that there was plenty of latitude even in this mode.

Which got me to thinking about it, and I like the idea of just allowing any old mode. Let the people who do it play how ever they would like, in any conditions. If you get a tow from the AI and still turn a good lap, all the better and well done for setting your fast lap with AI on the track! So this can keep evolving but for now at least I'd say all modes and conditions to crack one out for the Hotlap challenge. All feedback welcome of course.

The mode you're in there Wigean is free practice, no AI. Hotlap mode adds a ghost car (if enabled) which can give you good feedback in real time as you go around the circuit, seeing where you improve or lose time over the course of the lap. I'm sure you know what a ghost car is haha, but I mean to point out the advantage it gives as you learn a track. Of course the hotlap mode is a bit artificial with the resetting tires across the start finish line. And that reminds me to say my advice before about pressures is wrong probably. The screen you took there is probably with cold pressures, meaning they would come up in free practice, and actually are probably about perfect for hotlap mode. I aim for 27.5.

To swap modes click the game modes on the left of the main screen and you can toggle through all of the single player event options. Hotstint, Superpole, Quick Race etc. One other advantage of hotlap mode is you start on the track a turn or two before the start line, so you can get more laps in than starting in pitlane.

The 2017 BMW M6 was not the car I had in mind really, and I gave it a go earlier tonight and was just terrible. I could barely complete a lap without spinning it. Felt like a top. Came back later, customized it for the mojo (all-black Black Nine Racing number 9 smile ) and gave it another go. To settle it down I needed to stiffen the front suspension and knock down the rear. Then it was more hooked up but I'm still vulnerable to an ambitious right foot and slide on exit. This is a fast car on the straights. And it looks amazing, great looking race car.

Overall I rather enjoyed the M6 at Spa once I got it settled down. Didn't feel like I put one together, quite, and I'll give this one another go to see if I can find some time. First submission

Attached Files event2.jpg

#4599520 - 05/13/22 10:45 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks for the post and tips DB. thumbsup
That was a very good time.
I found the Hotlap mode after my last post.
I have been busy driving around without investigating the sim itself. smile
I will do some laps later today and see if I can make some progress.

I guess a problem by using training mode is that it takes a lot of time to start a new lap if you make an error. In Hotlap you can restart the lap without having to go all the way around.

I also found the car difficult in the exits, almost like the track was wet.
For my part I will need more driving time before I start to experiment with the set-up.

#4599522 - 05/13/22 11:23 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with spinning on entry and sliding on exit so I tried to dial some of that out. Here's the setup I used and maybe you could try it out if you want. No guarantee it won't be worse!

Essentially the front end is stiffened through springs and bars, while the rear is softened through the same things. I may have adjusted ride height in a minor way. ABS and TC at default.

Oh shoot I can't attach the file type.

Front ARB 5
Rear ARB 2
Front Spring 166000
Rear Spring 136000

Save it as custom setup

This should make entry more surefooted and kill the oversteer on exit to a certain degree, but it doesn't eliminate it. Rear ARB at 1 or front at 6 would settle it some more, but makes it more sluggish through the turn as the rear tries to catch up with the front. I have the differential preload at 90 which can be tweaked to dial it in.

#4599529 - 05/13/22 11:51 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks.
I will try that.

#4599530 - 05/13/22 12:17 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cool yeah, let me know how it feels, and what is still an issue and maybe you can get it dialed in to suit you perfectly. Just being able to get on the throttle better will knock that lap time down. If it's still too much oversteer on entry you can stiffen front spring more, or on exit you can soften the back spring more. Ride height works too, as these cars are very sensitive to it, but the springs and bars are more intuitive. These tweaks will help fix the 'wet' feeling you described. That's a perfect description of how it felt to me too. Continually monitor pressures and adjust as necessary to get them in the 27.5 psi window during the lap.

#4599546 - 05/13/22 03:54 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Good setup tips, Derek.

I admit I´m rather helpless when it comes to setups no matter the racing game.
Always try to find something comfortable for the car/track combo I use on the internet, having a look at some of the videos from the fast guys to get a feeling about the lines and shifting points they use and then simply run laps.

When preparing for some online race I will try to join practise servers to get a feeling running with other drivers around and using different racing lines just to know what works and what doesn´ t.

Only thing I monitor here in ACC are the tyres temps due to the different track conditions which are sometimes changing quite a bit depending on the server setup for some of the races.

Attached Files ACC BMW M6 Spa 2-23-64.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4599547 - 05/13/22 04:08 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks yeah, it's a hobby of mine biggrin

I just love the whole setup thing. I like the challenge of identifying what the car needs and making it happen, to the best of my ability anyway.

Nice lap Frank!

I think I can get down in to the 24s, and I'll give it another go this evening.

And this is fun getting to try the various cars and see what they're all about. Thanks for participating gentlemen.

#4599556 - 05/13/22 06:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Nice laps guys.

Hope you don`t mind me posting mine. biggrin
Just to show other newbies why it is fun and addictive.

Did 4-5 more laps and improved 4.9 secs since yesterday.
Not done any set-up changes , but I will.

A couple of questions:
Wheel rate equal springs?
How to change fuel quantity?
How to get my name as a driver in Hotlap mode?
How to take a screenshot like DB and NimRud?
Does the ghost give you a tow?

[Linked Image]

#4599557 - 05/13/22 06:08 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow nice improvement. That's a massive chunk of time off the old PB

Wheel rate equal springs? Yes
How to change fuel quantity? Cannot be done in hotlap
How to get my name as a driver in Hotlap mode? On the car slection screen choose Add, and select the car, customize as desired and click confirm to put Mr Wigean in the driver's seat
How to take a screenshot like DB and NimRud? Just hit escape from the pits and don't click drive/continue yet
Does the ghost give you a tow? Sorry, no

I couldn't be bothered to separate quotes. Sorry about the mess.

#4599560 - 05/13/22 06:18 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks.
Perfect for me. smile

#4599561 - 05/13/22 06:19 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Actually, I put up a screen for that method. Frank clicked Timetables to separate the laps and show sector times. Not sure which method you want.

And my pleasure.

#4599563 - 05/13/22 06:49 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
After adding a car it will appear under Custom. You can get a whole set of customized cars here. I have, all under my name, racing team, car number, sponsorship and paint scheme.

#4599595 - 05/14/22 12:11 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I gave this another go last night, trying various chassis tweaks and while I felt I was doing well, it wasn't reflected in any lap time improvement. And honestly the way I'm taking Eau Rouge most of the time is quite reckless indeed smile

I still feel like I have a better lap in me but can't put it together.

#4599597 - 05/14/22 12:32 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Heh, Eau Rouge.
I just aim for a tree and hope for the best. biggrin

Gotta love the names though.

I have a problem exiting Les Combes entering Malmedy. Easy to loose the grip here.
Going downhill through Bruxelles,Double Gauche, Les Fagnes , Campus and Paul Frere is really a challenge. You almost have to place an egg under your shoe if you want to maintain control.
Then it is a joy blasting through Blanchimont at full throttle. Almost like playing chicken against the track. smile
Finally the Chicane. What a downer it is when you think that THIS is going to be a fast one. Just to lose it all at the final turn.

Good fun!

driving

#4599606 - 05/14/22 06:32 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, I'm having trouble with having the car just skating out from under me. It feels planted then with that additional confidence I give it more boot and around she comes! I've spun like a top in to Les Combes and in the final chicane so many times haha.

Have you tried any setup changes?

#4599609 - 05/14/22 07:29 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by DBond
Yes, I'm having trouble with having the car just skating out from under me. It feels planted then with that additional confidence I give it more boot and around she comes! I've spun like a top in to Les Combes and in the final chicane so many times haha.

Have you tried any setup changes?

Not yet.
I`ve been visiting my wife, done some gardening and watched LFC win the AF cup.
I might do some laps this evening. We have the Eurovision song contest in Europe now. I hate it because of many reasons so simming is an alternative. smile
I have saved a profile of the set-up you suggested and painted my car almost raccing green so I am good to go. smile

#4599610 - 05/14/22 07:31 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Liverpool! Domestic cup double, hoping for the cup treble, but the league's beyond us now I think. You never know though, Pep has a way of overthinking the biggest matches.

That paint is worth eight-tenths easy

#4599627 - 05/15/22 03:03 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
A tail of a newbie session. smile
Tried DBonds settings today. Drove a couple of laps and decided to increase the downforce a little as well. From 5-7.
First lap on the pic was a slow one to have a closer look on the turns. Then some with errors and one that I improved.
Still much to improve though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#4599630 - 05/15/22 04:52 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What a beauty. Nice lap, that time is dropping like a stone. The setup changes should make it more stable and predictable, but not necessarily faster I suppose. And anyway, every driver is looking for his own balance. It's good to know how to dial the car in even if using other people's setups.

I gave this yet another go and really am not finding much time. I've made a bunch of changes, and got the car really nice and settled, planted and smooth. But it doesn't translate to improved lap time and maybe I'm near my limit with this car. The Car Control rating is tanking too, even though I feel like the laps are smooth and tight. It's odd how that works, as recently I did a hotstint challenge in a Lambo, felt like I was all over the place, but the CC rating said I was driving great. Here, I feel like the driving's good, but the rating doesn't agree.

Final submission I think

Attached Files HLC2.jpg

#4599668 - 05/16/22 01:48 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think everyone who is going to attempt this has done so, so let's do another one. I'll declare NimRud the two-time defending champ. Congrats Frank, great driving from you once again! With still no feedback, requests or suggestions, it's left to me to decide. Let's mix it up a bit and make it an open challenge. Any car you want.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event #3

Any car @ Laguna Seca

Event Winner : NimRud Three-time defending champ!

Good luck!

All modes, any conditions or any car. Just find the one that gets you around this awesome circuit in the shortest time smile

Last edited by DBond; 05/25/22 05:57 PM.

#4599683 - 05/16/22 07:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Ok, thanks.
I`m in. smile

#4599700 - 05/16/22 11:15 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I gave this a go this evening, and started in the 991 GT3 R. I've already run a race here in the offline championship so already had a good setup. I plan to run this HLC with several cars, see which one can get around here the best. Maybe the 488 and one or two more.

First submission. Turned this lap then started overdriving trying to better it, got worse instead and started driving off the track. I think I can go a little better so maybe I'll give the Porsche another go too. All sector times are from this lap.

Attached Files HLC3-1.jpg

#4599727 - 05/17/22 02:44 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave it another go. I like this track. I tend to like any track with hills and no chicanes, even if the Corkscrew is the most epic chicane of them all. I wanted to test out a few of the other cars, learn more about their unique qualities, and see if I could go any faster.

Started off in the Ferrari 488 Evo. It felt very balanced and serene after some setup. Quite neutral handling and would make for a great race car. But I couldn't improve on the lap time and ran a half-second back of the the Porsche time. Then I switched to the Huracan Evo, and didn't even post a timed lap before I gave it up. It's such a cool car in real life, but I don't get on with it in the sim, and part of the reason why is the cockpit structure and how it blocks the view in the tightest turns, especially to the left.

Then I switched to the Audi R8 LMS Evo II. This clicked. The safe setup had just a touch of oversteer and felt good. I made a couple of suspension changes to make it suit me better and went faster than the 991 pretty quickly. And it sounds amazing. All corners are important, but I felt like the key to a good lap here is turn 6, which leads on to the Rahal Straight as it climbs the hill to the Corkscrew. Still not sure I'm hitting it all that well, but a poor pass through here bleeds lap time up the hill.

Third sector purple is from a previous lap by one tenth or so.

Submission number two

Attached Files HLC3-2.jpg

#4599810 - 05/18/22 07:41 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
That is a good lap DB.

I am doing my best, but I am not even close. I guess that should be expected.
After doing some research I have found that I will not get any closer without learning more about set-up.
Driving around with an almost out of the box set-oup will not win any races.
So I will use some time on looking at what the different parameters do. I have looked at some videos out there, and I understand there is much to gain. smile

#4599811 - 05/18/22 07:50 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Wigean

There's the Sim Racing Garage thread if you want to discuss any of it. And I am very willing to meet up and we can talk through some changes. Identify what the car needs and then make the changes to dial it in.

Yes, that lap felt good. This is a good track for trail braking. Well they all are, and that brings better lap times.

This might help get you started

https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/the-ultimate-acc-car-setup-guide/

#4599886 - 05/19/22 06:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks for the link.
This sim is really harder and more technical demanding than I thought.
Which of course makes the sim more interesting.

I`ve seen people doing 1:20 on Laguna now.
How they get a car to respond like that makes me speechless.

I`ll see if I can get to the Sim Racing Garage. Just have to learn some more. smile

#4599905 - 05/19/22 10:10 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
1:20 is sick. That's far beyond me, that's for sure.

The thread I mentioned is one I made further down the list for discussing car setup. A good spot to kick this around if you want.

In general, I've gone softer over the safe setup. A lot depends on the car and track of course, but in general I tend to nudge the brake bias toward the rear. I like to feel the car rotating under braking in to a corner, and it makes trail braking more controllable. The heavily rear-weighted 991 especially, but I drag it back on most cars. I tend to find most cars don't turn in well and are a little snappy or low grip with default setup. So I like to soften the front springs and roll bar. This gives the car more front grip under braking and throttle-off entry. If it's understeering on entry, softer front is the first step.

But each car/track combo is different. I just set up the 991 for Paul Ricard and had to considerably stiffen the front to handle the high speed sweepers. Same with the BMW M6 in the Spa challenge. That needed a stronger front end for me.

One odd thing about this sim is the gearing is not adjustable. Is that part of the BoP (Balance of Performance) in the series? Maybe each car is locked to a certain gearing? On some tracks I really need to do this, as some corners and corner complexes just feel awkward as I always feel between gears. The third sector at Kyalami is like this in the 991. On other tracks, certain cars don't wind out top gear, or barely get in to top gear at all.

For aero I tend to stick close to default. These are the first cars where I don't consider wings in terms of downforce really, but for car balance. The aero section has that balance value at the bottom and I like to aim for a neutral setting near zero. What this means is markedly different from car to car, and is mostly handled through how the car is raked. Some default setups come with reverse rake (front ride height higher than rear) which was odd to me at first, but I read up on it and certain cars perform better this way. The 991 though is a high rake car, compared to the others. It's the first sim where I really paid attention and use ride height for balance, and not just set it to keep the car off the bump stops and handle the kerbs.

#4599985 - 05/21/22 12:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Simply forgot to post my lap. Here is my best try with the Ferrari.

Attached Files ACC 488 Evo Hotlap.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4599986 - 05/21/22 01:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Dammit!

I thought this week was mine as no one had a lap. I can beat no one without breaking a sweat.

Half a second.

Great driving mate.

thumbsup

#4600076 - 05/23/22 12:06 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

I`m in.

Wigean, before I call time on this one I wanted to ask if you intend to submit a lap?

#4600097 - 05/23/22 04:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Sorry,
I have to pass on this one.
Too much other things going on for the moment. smile

#4600099 - 05/23/22 04:47 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No worries mate.

And I will declare NimRud three-time defending champion. Great driving man. I thought I might have a shot at Laguna Seca, but no. smile

With the lack of interest and participation in this I think it's best to call time on the hotlap challenge. It could be restarted if there's a ground swell

The ACC server is also cancelled, due to lack of interest and participation

Thanks to everyone who took part. I had fun doing this.

#4600237 - 05/25/22 05:59 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Let me know which track will be the next one for the challenge. I have no preference.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4600238 - 05/25/22 06:25 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With Panzer's interest I see no reason to not revive the Hotlap Challenge! I have a lot of fun with this, but when it was really just Frank and I, I felt a little foolish and anyway we race together and can just do it live and in person smile

So yeah, by all means, and great to have you Panzer!

I really liked the idea of opening out the rules and restrictions. So once again, none at all except for the track. Any car, any mode, any conditions. Stack your deck if you can. It's all good and all for fun.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 4

Any car @ Zandvoort

Event winner : NimRud Four wins on the bounce!

Good luck!

Requires the 2020 GT World Challenge Pack DLC

If Panzer doesn't have this DLC I'll switch tracks.

Last edited by DBond; 06/01/22 12:18 PM.

#4600242 - 05/25/22 06:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And by the way, previous events are always open to unseat the throne-holder. I must declare a winner at some point (usually after four or five days) but late-comers can always submit a lap for an earlier challenge if they want. I will duly update the new event winner as often as needed.

Panzer does not have the DLC (yet), so the track is already changing to Zandvoort. I turned a lot of laps here yesterday in AC (not ACC). Fun track.

Good luck!

#4600243 - 05/25/22 06:45 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for setting it up and I’ll definitely do some laps tomorrow. I just need the server password now. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4600252 - 05/25/22 10:40 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this a go this evening. Started in the Porsche, as I've a setup already. Knocked a second and half off the PB. Not sure where that came from, but yeah, it went well. First submission 1:39.575. I will give the Audi a run out here too and maybe one or two more? Porsche, Audi and Ferrari have proven to be my favorites so far.

This is my main ride however. I've turned a lot more laps in this car than any others. Black Nine Racing #9 2019 Porsche 991 GT3 R. Suits me, and I think it's because it seems more pedal-responsive than other cars, probably due to the weight distribution. More lift oversteer, pretty nimble in the twisty bits, but down on pure power and straightline pace at the fastest tracks. Sharp in all black smile

[Linked Image]

Lap screen attached too

Attached Files HLC4.jpgMyOffice.jpg

#4600256 - 05/25/22 11:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hopped back in to give the Audi a go. At Laguna Seca when I switched to this car I went faster straight away, and here at Zandvoort too. Have I mentioned this car sounds awesome?

Anatomy of a hotlap session

All I did with the safe setup was to bring pressures up a few notches. Since tires reset every time you cross the line in hotlap, putting more air in than the default is usually needed. Set ABS, TC and TC2 all to 4.

First lap is always going to suffer a bit in hotlap, since it's the only one in the session where you take the preceding final corner with starting pressures. The next time around they're up and you can carry more speed through this final section. But I did a 1:40.4 which was less than a second off the best I could turn in the 991. Next time around with the pressures up it was one tenth slower than the 991. Next lap was 39 flat and six tenths faster. Good grief. Then I fouled up the fourth lap before a 38.8 on lap five. Then six laps of heartbreak as I couldn't put it all together and improve further. That's two tracks in a row where the safe setup feels great with this R8. Just the right amount of oversteer, for me. Most cars I have to do some work to make them feel good, but the R8 comes ready to run. This is the LMS Evo version.

Second submission

[Linked Image]

Two laps had exactly the same purple third sector time

Attached Files HLC4-1.jpg

#4600430 - 05/27/22 05:23 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Gave the Honda a try. Not my favourite to be honest but I was surprised to do basically the same times after only a few laps compared to my usual drive, the Bentley.

Not as comfortable and safe to drive on the limit for my level of talent though. driving

Attached Files ACC Honda Hotlap Zandy 1-37-25.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4600436 - 05/27/22 06:05 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Dammit!!

I crushed my PB by nearly three seconds and thought maybe, just maybe, I had a shot this week.

And you go faster in like the worst GT3 car. It would be soul crushing if it wasn't so much fun smile

Nice lap Frank old boy.

#4600535 - 05/29/22 11:56 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It only takes like 20 or 30 minutes to get a lap. Surprised more don't want to get involved.

I gave this another go Started in the 488 and managed to improve by two tenths, 38.6.

Then I swapped to the GT-R. I think this is my first go in this car, and I really liked it. No one talks about the GT-R, so I suspected it was down a bit on pace, but I broke 39 in it. I'll be driving this one a little more often.

Then hopped back in to the Audi and went fastest yet, but still well off that Honda!

Zandy is a tricky track to nail. So many little mini-sectors with their own nuances. Difficult to string it all together. But it's a great track to drive.

Third submission

Attached Files HLC4-3.jpg

#4600611 - 05/30/22 12:40 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Panzer, you have a lap? Anyone else?

Maybe I revived this in error oops

:

#4600648 - 05/30/22 06:15 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
I tried, but I'm too much off pace to post.

I'll see if I can do something worth posting, but hopes are quite low.

#4600650 - 05/30/22 06:29 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
rollnloop! I didn't even realize you have ACC I don't think.

I'd say don't worry about how fast or slow you are, but maybe that's easy for me to say. Red said folks would be shy perhaps if they were off the pace, and I get it I think. But I'd hope that folks would see that they're really just running against themselves, and even if you're eight seconds or whatever off the pace now, that it could be great fun to continually drop that gap over time. Personal improvement is the goal, not being the fastest at SimHQ necessarily. I mean, I want to be that, but it's not really feasible at this moment in time. But watch out!

When I started driving ACC five weeks ago or whenever, my first best lap at Zandvoort was 1:44. I posted about it, quite pleased with myself haha. I knew it wasn't fast, but who cares. It was the best I could do and that's OK with me.

This is what it's about. Turn a lap. Then turn a better one and the relative pace to fast drivers like NimRud is just a measuring stick, letting us non-aliens know how far we have yet to go smile

I want more drivers to get involved around here and all it takes is just throwing that lap up. Then do better on the next one if possible. Maybe if you put yours up other drivers here will say, oh that's not so bad, here's mine. is this also what happened to Panzer?

If you have a track you like a lot let me know and we'll make that one the next event.

#4600664 - 05/31/22 07:04 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I'm happy to discover new tracks, my best effort was 1.43

#4600672 - 05/31/22 11:02 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, that's a fine lap, and seems normal for the early stages. Lower lap times need track knowledge, a good setup that's well suited to your style, and seat time, getting used to the car and turning enough laps to find the line and the limit. 1:43's a pretty good lap time around Zandvoort. Which car are you driving?

We haven't talked about it, but I'm pretty sure when I was starting out with ACC I read about how the driving aids in ACC slow you down intentionally. In other words, using aids like stability control limit how fast you can go. The devs made it so you can get better car control with these but you will be limited. Is it true? Not sure.

And I don't know that anyone here uses any, but if so it might be worth a go just setting it all on Pro and seeing if you instantly find additional time.

You can also find some time with conditions. If you look at my last submission you can see it's cloudy and cooler on an optimal track surface which should have an effect on lap time.

#4600675 - 05/31/22 01:12 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I just had a quick session yet, last week so I don't remember details (bar trying a ferrari and a bmw), but I'll try to use your tips, thanks !

#4600676 - 05/31/22 01:44 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good luck mate.

In the early going there's so much stuff to work out and get right so you have the proper base to go fast. Things like steering wheel rotation for example. I ran through a hell of a lot of different settings looking for the one I found best for me. In the end I settled on 540. Something like this could have a big impact on how comfortable the car feels and in the lap times you turn. ABS and TC/TC2 settings, engine mapping, tire pressures and so much more takes time to find your level. Force feedback settings take time to tweak. Then after all of that, each car will need set up to make it suitable to the track and driver. Some setups feel good to me out of the box. But I can say the 488 at Zandvoort did not feel good to me out of the box with the safe setup and I had to make quite a few changes to the suspension to get it hooked up for me. If I recall it had way too much entry understeer, and that's no good for going fast.

I'll leave this event to run for one more day in case you want to put one up, and maybe we'll find where Panzer went smile

Do you have any DLC rollnloop? That dictates which tracks I can choose for the events. I want to run Donington and Imola among others if everyone has the tracks.

#4600757 - 06/01/22 12:17 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I let this one run the longest so far in case there would be a straggler or two. Not to be. So with that, NimRud is once again the fastest out of all the submissions. Congrats Frank, stellar lap in the Whale.

So far I've gotten no feedback or requests of any sort. Maybe that should be telling me something. But I will ignore the writing on the wall and put up the next event. I'm open to track requests or even doing this with a different sim.

I had put up Imola this week, but changed it when it became evident Panzer didn't have the track. But then he went dark and didn't participate and so let's give Imola a go. One of my favorite tracks. Requires DLC.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 5

Any car @ Imola

Event winner : me, somehow

Any car, any mode, any conditions

Good luck!

Last edited by DBond; 06/04/22 11:26 PM.

#4600793 - 06/01/22 05:22 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Not so hot lap most likely, but at least I've got an entry.

Getting ready to be shamed...

[Linked Image]

I have all but "challengers" DLC.

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/01/22 06:06 PM.
#4600796 - 06/01/22 05:49 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Is that at Imola?

Thanks for joining us. nice consistency.

That last one was a cracker eh? A full second over the previous best.

You may be aware but pressures reset every time you cross the line in hotlap mode. Are those tires coming up enough during your lap? Target is 27-28 psi, or maybe it's not in pounds per square inch? Maybe that's newtons per meter, or stone per square hand. No that's the British, blimey biggrin

BMW M4, nice choice smile

I have instructions above somewhere to make a custom car if you want to.

#4600799 - 06/01/22 06:10 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Not sure I get the meaning of the last sentence, but yes Imola, and thanks for tire pressure guidelines,looks like I'm quite below.

i only started playing for your hotlaps mind you, so I have much learning on the plate.

Won't be able to play much more until next week tho.

Have fun leaving me in the dust wounded

#4600800 - 06/01/22 06:17 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: rollnloop.]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well then you're off to a great start. That's good driving. Very consistent which is half the battle.

Originally Posted by rollnloop.
Not sure I get the meaning of the last sentence, but yes Imola, and thanks for tire pressure guidelines,looks like I'm quite below.

Sorry. What I mean is you can create a custom car that uses your own name, paint scheme, sponsors and team name. It doesn't make you any faster though. But it's cool to have a customized car and your own name and team appear in that lap time shot. No need to do this. And maybe your name IS Hesse?

To make a custom car, set series to Open, and in the car select screen choose Add, pick your model, and then you can paint it and customize the other stuff too. Click save/confirm and you now have your own whip. These personalized cars will appear under custom filter in the car select screen.

#4600801 - 06/01/22 06:18 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wait did you change the screenshot? I see a new better lap. Weller done!

35 laps. With that sort of effort the times will plummet, and I can see they already are thumbsup

Challengers pack includes no tracks so you should be OK with whichever track we run. It does have the Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo II though, which is a good car.

#4600808 - 06/01/22 09:08 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I now have a custom car and pilot, thanks a bunch bananadance

#4600816 - 06/01/22 11:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Right on. Post it up sometime. All of mine are just black haha. And have the number 9 on them. Like the Porsche above.

I hopped in to ACC to give this a go. I couldn't recall my PB at Imola, but I suspected that rollnoop's 1:49 was a pretty good lap. I've been driving so many different cars in different sims around Imola lately that I can't keep it straight. I DO know I can only go 1:59 here in the 458 Italia in AC though. banghead

I saw that my PB was a 47 and change in the Porsche, so rollnloop you're right there. Not that I am the lap time litmus test, but if you've just started then I reckon you're a natural at this sim racing thing. Your theoretical is nearly a second faster than your fast lap so you're close to running in the 47s already when you put one together.

I started off in the 991, and turned a 48.2, then swapped to the 488 Evo and just couldn't take the kerbs, quite a mess, especially the entry in to Tamburello and gave it up going no faster than a 49. I think this car should be good here and it's suspension related, combined with my poor driving. Some set up work and better driving could yield better results in the Ferrari. Then I switched to the R8 Evo. This should be my car. Well, I guess it is now

Like Laguna Seca and Zandvoort I went faster straight away in the Audi. Tweaked tire pressures, dropped brake pressure and bias a touch. ABS and TC/2 to 4, motor map to 1. Didn't change anything else.

First submission. This shows theoretical purples, green fast lap, although the third sector purple was in this fast lap. Theoretical is three tenths faster. It was a cloudy cool day as it turned out wink

Attached Files HLC5-1.jpg

#4600822 - 06/02/22 12:28 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Tried the Lambo ST Evo2 for some quick test laps here at Imola.

Still trying to get used to my old but now heavily modified Logitech G29 pedals. Recently I installed a brake mod and new high quality potentiometers ( ACX Sim).

They run now as a stand alone device at a higher resolution ( 10-Bit) thanks to an USB adapter cable from Leo Bodnar.

The feeling I get now from those old G29 pedals is totally different than it was before. Much more precision and a brilliant new brake perfomance! thumbsup

Attached Files ACC Lambo ST Evo2 Imola 1-44-96.jpg
Last edited by NimRud; 06/03/22 10:05 PM.

Time is the only luxury.
#4600825 - 06/02/22 12:36 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
As if you need better gear biggrin

Great lap Frank. I can't seem to get on with Lamborghinis in this sim. Cool cars though and give me a hell of a time in offline racing. Each time we do this I want to give another new car a go. At Zandy it was the GT-R which I like a lot. Are you guys cool with the 'any car' thing instead of everyone running the same one? I like the freedom, it makes me take more shots at it with different cars. We started by setting a car, but I changed it to this.

#4600838 - 06/02/22 11:05 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this another go. I drove the Lexus for the first time. It's pretty good, and I was able to match my first submission time in it. But it's a Lexus, and I can't drive it in public. It's like riding a white horse.

I also took the GT-R out, but was a second or more off the pace in this car.

So I switched to the Audi and gave it more setup attention, tweaking it further and experimenting. I managed to go faster at 45.2, but then I thought, I'm nearly in the 44s. Came in to make some changes, and came out to promptly drive in to the gravel at Rivazza. When you do this before the lap starts the game says oh no, you really messed up and resets the session. That wiped out my lap time before I snapped a screen shot. Derp. Tried but failed to match that time.. I could hit 44 if I could string together my sectors. It's like golf, this hotlapping stuff. Like there's always one part of my game that fails to show up. Hitting it great off the tee and putting the ball well, but my short game stinks and my irons are all over the place. Same here, nail two sectors and blow the third.

At this point Frank will be all like "I’m not left-handed either!" and run a 42. I'm pretty sure the Huracan ST Evo is a class below GT3, so he has plenty in reserve

Second submission

Attached Files HLC5-2.jpg

#4600839 - 06/02/22 11:22 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO II.. Not much of a looker is it? But it's fast, nicely balanced and has an intoxicating exhaust note.Ten-cylinder symphony

[Linked Image]

The Challengers pack also includes these cars

BMW M2 CS Racing
Ferrari 488 GT3 Challenge Evo
Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo EVO 2
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (Type 992)

Attached Files R8Evo.jpg

#4600872 - 06/02/22 04:32 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
These giant wings of GT3 cars are generally a crime against aesthetics imo, but I love the lines of the R8.

Far from my gaming PC for days so I have an excuse not to break my wheel trying to match your times.

I'll try to watch tutorials on set ups meanwhile, bar settings tires and gears (can't in GT3 it seems) I'm lost for every sim.

#4600875 - 06/02/22 05:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree. Don't like the look of the wings at all.

I put a link in this thread earlier for Wigean, some setup guidelines from that coach dave academy. Good info in there. I'm willing to help if I can.

Your lap time is already good, but yeah, some chassis work could find you some time I would reckon.

#4600910 - 06/03/22 12:51 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave it another go. I felt certain I could get something out of the 488 Evo here, but I just can't figure it out, unlock any speed here. Several seconds off my best lap in some of the other cars. I also gave the Audi another shot but failed to improve. So then I switched to the BMW M4. Kerbs are key at Imola, so I wanted to try this car, or maybe the Mercedes/ Aston Martin/ Bentley. All of these have more weight up front. I drove the M4 briefly in the the first few days, but not since then.

Did one stint to get a feel then came in for a few suspension adjustments. I was taking the kerbs well enough that I thought why not kick down the TC and ABS a notch or two? That made a difference and a new fast lap for me.

I'm running here in the cloudy, cool weather. Does it make a difference in this sim? Or in hotlap mode? I ran in 30/37 ambient/track and 21/25 and my times were about the same but a single sample does not a study make.

Submission number three

Attached Files HLC5-3.jpg

#4600991 - 06/03/22 08:42 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Thanks for mentioning Dave's, I'll have a look when I get home.

Beautiful lap time there !

#4601010 - 06/04/22 12:14 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks. Yeah, I'm happy with it. That's nearly a three second improvement for me at Imola. I suspect my top time won't stand around here for long though. smile

This is the link so you don't have to hunt it down

https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/the-ultimate-acc-car-setup-guide/

#4601064 - 06/04/22 11:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With Wigean in the north of Norway and rollnloop away as well I reckon we won't see more laps? I suspect NimRud has run a faster lap but doesn't want to win five times on the bounce. So with that I'll call time on this one, and take top spot due to my fellow participants' humility smile

I want to run a GT4 event, but not this time as I'd like to know if anyone likes that idea before we do it.

So with no requests it's up to me again.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event #6

Any car @ Kyalami

Event winner : me, again. What the fook

requires Intercontinental GT pack DLC

Any car, any mode, any conditions

Good luck!

I hate chicanes and although I said Imola was one of my favorite tracks, I hate chicanes haha. Kyalami's not got this so it's a good antidote.

Last edited by DBond; 06/08/22 04:53 PM.

#4601071 - 06/05/22 03:15 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Congrats Derek, nice laptime you did there!

I really tried hard to lower my PB with the Lambo, but could barely touch the 1.44´ s here at Imola. Not good enough to reach your time. And yes, chicanes are awful and ruin every good race track.

Kyalami sounds nice and why not take a GT4 car for a change... wink

Time is the only luxury.
#4601079 - 06/05/22 11:25 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Frank, and for your car choice too smile

Let's save GT4 for the next event.

I gave this one a go, and this time just cut out all the nonsense and went straight to the R8. There's more time to find as it's full of little mistakes, and third sector purple was half a second up on my fast lap.

First submission

Attached Files HLC6-1.jpg

#4601084 - 06/05/22 02:15 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I just noticed you updated your submission for Imola. You did right? It was a low 45 and now is 44.9. I only clicked it to see what you called your team. But otherwise I would have missed it and I am saved embarrassment in claiming top spot by one tenth. Please add new submissions in a new post or I'll miss the updated time.

#4601143 - 06/06/22 01:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Just trying to find out how you attach pics.

Attached Files SimHQ_test.jpg

#4601144 - 06/06/22 01:41 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't see any sector times biggrin

#4601146 - 06/06/22 02:14 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I don't see any sector times biggrin

Hehe, I know. I just had to find out which format that was accepted. I have used Imgur before and had to check out how to do it in the proper way.
Pic shows what Rudolpjh and friends are doing off season. biggrin
Was taken last tuesday.

Hope to post sector times later.

#4601152 - 06/06/22 02:45 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hope you had a great trip, the scenery is beautiful. Welcome back Wigean.

#4601159 - 06/06/22 04:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Tried the BMW M4 for a change. Bit too much understeer for my liking in the setup I used but that was probably me overdriving the car. Need more seat time with the car I guess?!

Fiddled around with the ambient/track temperatures but couldn´t really feel that much of a difference to be honest.

Attached Files ACC BMW M4 Hotlap Kya 1-43-82.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601162 - 06/06/22 04:48 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great lap man, in to the 43s, which is strong. Six tenths. New target smile

Fun stuff.

#4601231 - 06/07/22 12:21 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this another go, in several cars. I ran the GT-R and did pretty well in it. I like it in this sim. But not able to set a new fast lap. I also ran the McLaren 720. Wasn't competitive, but that might just be a matter of set up.

I also ran out the 488. What the hell is up with this car. It's my favorite real-life car in the sim. Massive Ferrari fan I am, but I cannot make it work in this sim and go fast. It's not a matter of being a few tenths or a second off the pace, but three or four seconds. Are the engine maps backwards or something? Is setting 1 the most aggressive map? I really want to go fast in the Ferrari, but it's evading me.

Thankfully though the Audi R8 is a thing.

Second submission .057 is now the gap at the top biggrin

Attached Files HLC6-2.jpg

#4601232 - 06/07/22 12:36 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: NimRud]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by NimRud

Fiddled around with the ambient/track temperatures but couldn´t really feel that much of a difference to be honest.

Yeah, seems same to me. So that got me to thinking... why is it that cooler temps traditionally mean faster lap times in real motorsports? Hot air is less dense and therefore top speeds should be higher in hot weather. But the motor makes more power when it's sucking colder air right? And I'd guess that cooler track temps generally make it easier to get and keep tires in the proper window? Cooler track surface means longer tire life and therefore more grip over more of a stint.

But yeah, I can't feel it yet in ACC. Which reminds me of something else. Since I started driving this sim I feel like I get no tow from other cars. I can see it in the laptime delta that I don't pull more speed trailing another car. Like the Kemmel straight at Spa I'd expect a noticable effect.

#4601254 - 06/07/22 06:51 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
So close, and yet so far...

[Linked Image]

#4601265 - 06/07/22 07:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Nice progression rollnloop.
Have you tweeked the car, or are you using the pre programmed set-ups?

#4601271 - 06/07/22 08:57 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I donwloaded a setup from youtube, really ain't a mechanic.

#4601304 - 06/08/22 11:05 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great lap rollnloop. Big improvement in sector two and put together three purples on that lap.

#4601308 - 06/08/22 12:43 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the main I've let these events run for an average of four days. Is anyone else planning a lap? Anyone want a second bite at the cherry?

If not we will move on to the next event.

I posted this in the AC/ACC thread a while back, but thought it might be useful here. When I was starting out this chart gave me good targets to hit, and a way to judge where I stood. It's missing the latest tracks like Donington and a few more. But that 'rookie' column was a motivator and measuring stick, targets to chase. Maybe others will find it a useful gauge

[Linked Image]

#4601311 - 06/08/22 01:09 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I want another go with my wheel, see if i can improve on my controller laps smile

#4601313 - 06/08/22 01:16 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
eek

OK, I'll put up the next event after you make a new submission. You turned a 46 with a controller?

#4601321 - 06/08/22 02:46 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Well yes, but for now I can't improve with the wheel, I'm pretty disappointed. It's a cheap wheel, but still.

I'll have a last try in a few mins, need a pause.

#4601327 - 06/08/22 03:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, take a breather and re-energize for that killer lap thumbsup

I'll put the next one up a little later today. And anyway, I made it so post-finish submissions are allowed. Latecomers should feel welcome.

#4601331 - 06/08/22 04:08 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Well, not a big improvement, but hey, still quite a rookie.

[Linked Image]

had a go at the Audi EVo (don't have EVO II DLC).

Didn't go any faster, but she SOUNDS faster hahaha

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/08/22 07:59 PM.
#4601332 - 06/08/22 04:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I know right? V-10 sounds fast smile

Good lap 'loop!

I guess I have the fastest lap by the slimmest of margins? If anyone edited their first submission with a faster lap please bring it to my attention.

OK, I've been itching to do this, so we're going to mix it up for event number seven.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 7

Any GT4 car at Donington

Any GT4 car, any mode, any conditions

Event Winner : NimRud!

Requires British GT pack DLC

Good luck!

Edit: And I guess it requires the GT4 cars DLC too!

Last edited by DBond; 06/15/22 01:49 PM.

#4601333 - 06/08/22 04:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The GT4 whips

Alpine A110 GT4
Aston Martin Vantage GT4
Audi R8 LMS GT4
BMW M4 GT4
Chevrolet Camaro GT4R
Ginetta G55 GT4
KTM X-Bow GT4
Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4
McLaren 570S GT4
Mercedes AMG GT4
Porsche 718 GT4 Clubsport

Choose your weapon

#4601370 - 06/08/22 11:47 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Target pressures with these cars are slightly lower, 26.5 - 27.5. It's a different compound than the GT3 cars and they heat up more, so a lower starting pressure was needed even over a single lap. Actually it might be better to run in practice, superpole or hotstint mode to get the tires in to a window for several laps on the bounce. I will try that, as I only just thought it as I typed this.

Gave this a go this evening. I have driven GT4 cars, but not that much, and not at Donington, so I didn't know what might be a reasonable target time. The GT4 stable is pretty good, a lot of interesting cars. I started off in the Vantage. I didn't get on with it at first. So much entry understeer that I just drove off the track a a few times on my first lap. Not just miss the corner, but like drove off the track as if I had to go that way as a matter of course. Came back in for some setup work and tried to dial that out, but not enough to be happy with it. Turned a 40.1 which I didn't know yet if that was a good lap. Didn't feel like it.

Swapped to the Audi R8. Right on the first lap it felt way better for me, good balance, so much so that 3/4 of the way around I thought I was blitzing my Aston Martin lap time. But I crossed in the 43s, which surprised me as the lap felt so much better. Maybe it only sounded faster!. After some chassis work I got it also down to 40.1.

Swapped to the Clubsport and went faster. Like all Porsches the weight's in the back and this gets the car 'round the twisty bits nicely. Theoretical is a half second faster and there's time still out on the track, I've bottled the final turn on every lap so far. Haven't done anything with the chassis really. I might give all of the GT4 cars a run-out and see what's up.

First submission

Attached Files HLC7-1.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 06/09/22 12:35 AM.

#4601373 - 06/09/22 01:57 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Fired ACC up again to try a different mode. Chose superpole, which starts in the pits, one outlap and two timed laps. I don't think I took advantage really, but it does get the tires in a better state for the timed laps, compared to regular hotlap mode. It was a matter of hitting the first turn at around 21psi in hotlap versus 24 in superpole due to the outlap. Then you can run most of the rest of it around 26+ and have it stabilize.

First car I ran out was the McLaren 570S. I gotta say I really like this car, especially the balance, and it feels a lot like the MP4-12C that I like so much in AC. Still not totally happy with the setup, especially in slow corners, but I managed to go fastest yet in the McLaren in superpole. Then I tried the Clubsport again in the same mode and came within two hundredths. But since the image I captured for the laptime is so nice I'll post the slower time as submission number two smile

I think I can definitely do better from the Melbourne hairpin all the way through to Redgate. I'm pretty shaky in this section.

Full size and I think all my entries should be this nice haha. The second timed lap should see a bounce from optimal tires all the way around the circuit, but I didn't get all that much more out of it here

[Linked Image]

Attached Files HLC7-2.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 06/09/22 01:58 AM.

#4601383 - 06/09/22 10:16 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Haha, Porsche is fast !

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/09/22 10:45 AM.
#4601393 - 06/09/22 11:21 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Nice laps so far, guys!

Took the Alpine A110 for a spin in practise mode just to check it out seeing rollnloop doing so well with it. Driving that thing feels so incredibly boring and without any sensation of speed but it isn´t a slouch actually.

Attached Files ACC Alpine A110 GT4 Don 1-38-77.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601396 - 06/09/22 12:05 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow, great laps! The competition is strong in the GT4 class!

Good track, fun cars.

#4601397 - 06/09/22 12:08 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
WOW !

I did 1 full sec slower than you in Alpine, 7/10th sower than in porsche, so I guess you have quite some margin still, and can reach 37s

#4601399 - 06/09/22 12:21 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't see the evidence of rollnloop in the Alpine. Was that replaced with the Porsche laps?

This event is the one that the lurkers should join. These cars are easier to drive near the limit and the lap times will be closer as a result I reckon. I've driven four different cars for this one and all were within a half second or so.

#4601401 - 06/09/22 12:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Yes it was, My alpine lap was in the 39.6/7 range IIRC

#4601422 - 06/09/22 03:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great work rollnloop. Your ascent to the top rung has been swift, and I am happy you had the temerity to get involved, and just like that you're faster than I am thumbsup

Are these laps with a controller?

I have some work to do to close the gap to you fast guys.

#4601427 - 06/09/22 03:23 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
No, I had the wheel this time.

I must say I'm glad to have you at least a bit challenged, but I'm not on in the same category yet, you'll probably beat my time in a few laps. Just see how Nimrud destroyed my best Alpine (alpeen is the way to name it, did you know ? most youtubers seem not to) effort.

This A110 is a car I droll on.

Much, much less expensive than a supercar, even in my high tax country, and yet very high performance. One day, maybe...

#4601429 - 06/09/22 03:26 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: rollnloop.]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
alpeen is the way to name it, did you know ?

Well, yes, but then I'm a Formula1 fan aren't I? smile

#4601430 - 06/09/22 03:38 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Ah true indeed !

#4601440 - 06/09/22 06:50 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Tried the superpole format Derek mentioned for the first time and could shave some more time off from my previous PB. Still with the Alpine A110. A beautiful car indeed!

Attached Files ACC Alpine A110 GT4 Don 1-37-83.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601442 - 06/09/22 06:51 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: rollnloop.]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

you'll probably beat my time in a few laps

I don't know about that, but I will try smile

This A110 is a car I droll on.

Yeah, it's very cool. I like lightweight anything, and the A110 takes it to the extreme. Very cool car.

#4601443 - 06/09/22 06:52 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
We posted at the same time Frank, but congrats on the new fast lap. Giving us all a a target to miss smile

#4601468 - 06/09/22 11:34 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Inspired by the rapid laps above, I got back to it. I started off in the McLaren, and I don't advise hotstint mode, because I did two ten minute ones, set a new fastest lap, but both times I clicked the wrong thing at the end, and never got to see my laptimes. Maybe there was a better option there than back to garage. Hotstint just gives you more laps in your tire window, but superpole works well too. Any mode is fine, but the way these tires work I like to have more than one lap like hotlap gives you (since tires reset at the line)

I really like the 570. It's mid-engine so just has innate balance. Which is good, because the setup options are poor. Many things, like roll bars, cannot be adjusted, and some that can are already at the max, like brake bias. So there's not all that much I can do to dial it in, but it handles well regardless. I like to tinker with the suspension to suit me, but not much you can do with this car.

After failing to capture a laptime in hotstint, I switched to superpole. The 570 has good speed, and is really nice in medium and high speed turns. But I struggle in the final two slow speed turns. It just doesn't want to rotate. Taking the esses fast just before the hairpin is crucial to a good lap, but then I throw it away in the last two turns. Or it feels that way.

Submission number 3. This time I took advantage of the superpole format I think

Attached Files HLC7-3.jpg

#4601475 - 06/10/22 07:48 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Wow nice lap !

#4601485 - 06/10/22 12:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks mate.

I drove the McLaren, Alpine, Porsche. But the McLaren was the one i could get around the quickest. Aside from the low speed turns it's pretty good. They say it's great on kerbs too, but the ones here are rather benign.

#4601492 - 06/10/22 02:49 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Took the AMG GT4 this time and just drove around in practise mode to get a better feel for the car. Compared to the nimble Alpine A110 the Mercedes feels a lot heavier. More like a GT3 car in that respect.

Just a slight improvement on my previous PB.

Attached Files ACC AMG GT4 Don 1-37-64.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601494 - 06/10/22 03:04 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh man, trading fast laps are we? A tenth at a time haha

Great lap NimRud!

#4601526 - 06/11/22 03:53 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Did we lose Wigean?

You having a lap mate?

If not we will be moving on shortly to event #8. Any requests?

It's only day three, so another day perhaps to let it run in case there are any stragglers

Last edited by DBond; 06/11/22 04:15 PM.

#4601527 - 06/11/22 04:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Did we lose Wigean?

I`m still here.

Just busy doing other things for the moment.
Don`t wait for me, I`ll join when able. smile

#4601528 - 06/11/22 05:11 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Does anyone want to do this in a different sim? We can branch out in to other classes and tracks if so. AMS2 possibly? If interested let me know which sims you'd like to add. I have them all. There are only three or four of us involved so maybe we can show some agility and bounce around.

OK Wigean, thanks for the update.

#4601534 - 06/11/22 06:21 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I don't have AMS2 nor Iracing nor RRR, but don't mind me.

I can't promise I'll do this many challenges anyway, just took the occasion while weather was still bearable here.

#4601562 - 06/12/22 02:31 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think all submissions are in and NimRud returns to victory lane by narrow margins. Congrats Frank, great driving.

Driving the GT4 cars was great for the car control rating

If anyone's up for another....

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event #8

Any car @ Suzuka

Event WInner : NimRud!

Any everything, as usual

Not sure if it requires DLC?

Good luck!

I set Ctrl-S as either engine start or ignition -- forget which comes first -- but accidentally hit Ctrl-D, which gave me an alternate dash. Didn't realize this was a thing, but pretty neat. In the 570 for example it can be a meter-style tachometer, or a (digital) analog-style round gauge. In other cars it might move the data around in a different arrangement and I'm sure there are others as well.

Last edited by DBond; 06/16/22 01:43 PM.

#4601569 - 06/12/22 04:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I'm out for this one (and probably next), far from my rig for a few days.

Good luck !

#4601600 - 06/13/22 10:49 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this one a go. Started in the McLaren 720 and ran a 2:07. I like this car but I've yet to be able to match my lap times in my fastest cars. Then I switched to the Ferrari, and for once was able to make it go at a decent clip around the track, turning 2:05s. Then I switched to the Audi R8 and not unexpectedly went quickest of all.

First submission

Attached Files HLC8-1.jpg

#4601690 - 06/14/22 11:51 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Sintax Offline
Sintax  Offline

So im very new to sim racing (DBond got me into it this week) Heres my first attempt at the Hot lap challenge. Going to mess with some settings and try to shave some seconds off!

Attached Files Hot lap chal.png
#4601694 - 06/14/22 12:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey man, glad you found your way here and welcome to SimHQ!

Nice lap.

I gave this another go yesterday evening. Started off in the Lexus, but don't tell anyone. This is the only car so far aside from the R8 that I've managed to break 2:05 in. It's pretty fast.

Then I switched to the Porsche. I have a good set up, quite planted to the tarmac, but couldn't break 2:05. I think it just struggles to go fast down the long straights. Really nice in the esses and the twisty bits, but by the far end of the straight it's down. Makes a great racing car here, but short of setting the fastest lap times.

Then I switched back to the Audi R8. Not sure what it is about the R8 that let's me go faster. Is it really a faster car? Or does the balance suit me better? Probably the cool motor sound is what makes it fast.

Second submission. Theoretical is 2:03.532 if I could string it all together

Attached Files HLC8-2.jpg

#4601730 - 06/14/22 05:26 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
With the recent BOP changes the Audi and the Ferrari seem to be the fastest cars depending on the track. At least in the hands of the alien drivers when I was watching some of the ACC online races.

Never drove the Audi but the Ferrari is a real handful trying to go faster.

Don´t like Suzuka that much to be honest but gave it a try with the Bentley. Not the fastest car but extremely comfortable to keep on the tarmac. smile

Attached Files ACC Bentley Suzuka 2-03-66.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601731 - 06/14/22 05:49 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You don't care for Suzuka? I would have thought you'd like this track, and your lap time is really good, nice driving. I like this track, a nice rhythm track with a good mix of turns. Feel free to nominate the next track as I'd like it if I wasn't picking it each time smile

Does ACC update to reflect the real-world BoP changes?

I don't drive every car, but of the ones I mix in there I've been fastest in the Audi at probably the last five tracks we've done, aside from the BMW letting me hit the kerbs harder at Imola. The R8 is strong on all types of circuits, good in the twisty bits and power to make it count down the fast bits. I'm not much of Audi fan in real life, but in ACC it's a good ride for me.

And yes, Suzuka does require the Intercontinental GT DLC, I had said before I wasn't sure.

#4601763 - 06/15/22 05:25 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Did a few quick laps with the Audi LMS evo II here to give it a try finally. Fully understand Derek now, why he likes it so much. thumbsup

Attached Files ACC Audi Evo II Suzuka 2-02-08.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4601771 - 06/15/22 11:12 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow NimRud, that's a fantastic lap around Suzuka. On your last submission I had a shot, and got to within a tenth. But no way I could touch a 2:02 flat. Great driving. That R8 is good eh?

Third submission

Attached Files HLC8-3.jpg

#4601792 - 06/15/22 01:58 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Just floating it out there, but with rollnloop and Wigean not putting in laps at the mo, it might be a good time to give a different sim a shot for the next event. Sintax, NimRud and I all have AMS2 for example, and since these challenges only go for a few days maybe we could sneak one in to try a different type of car. So make a suggestion! Which cars would you want to drive were we to do this?

'67 F1 cars around the Nordschleife? smile

I'm happy to keep going with ACC but it's good to mix things up.

Actually I'd welcome any suggestions or requests regardless of what they are. I've tried to keep things moving around, mixing up the tracks and throwing the GT4 event in there. I'm open to single-car events again too if that's what we want. I opened the class thinking it might attract more participants, but that failed, aside from Sintax, and that's because we work together and talk about this stuff all day long smile

#4601803 - 06/15/22 04:20 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Up for anything here.

AMS 2 sounds great for a change. `67 cars around Nordschleife is fun but maybe a bit too harsh for a start? wink

Derek, during summer PC gaming time is usually low so I wouldn´ t expect a sudden spike of interest in virtual racing here at SimHQ no matter the enthusiasm of a few of us.

Time is the only luxury.
#4601804 - 06/15/22 04:27 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha I don't expect that regardless of meteorological or calendrical considerations biggrin

I was just half-joking about the vintage F1 cars. The other half was serious haha.

No suggestions? I'll work something out. I'll ask Sintax which DLC he has. You have the full AMS2 content right?

#4601807 - 06/15/22 04:38 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Yes, have all the DLC for AMS 2.

A moderately fast car at Cadwell Park would be my suggestion for a start into AMS 2.

Time is the only luxury.
#4601808 - 06/15/22 04:41 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thank you thumbsup

#4601857 - 06/16/22 12:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And this one is done and dusted, with NimRud once again top of the timing sheets. Well done to you, that's a stellar lap time that I could not touch.

I tried it again last night and reasoned that as Suzuka's a Japanese track that Japanese cars would go fastest around it. So I took out the GT-R and the Honda. Both went around well, but no better than 2:05s for me, so no improvement.

I then drove the R8 once more and improved by two tenths to 2:03.5 but no farther.

We are going to change it up for event number nine

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 9

Formula Trainer Advanced @ Cadwell Park

Event Winner : me, the only entrant

Automobilista Motorsport Simulator 2

Any mode is fine

Might require DLC?

Good luck!

I turned some laps here last night. My first time at Cadwell park and what a delightful track it is. Good shout Frank. I always talk about how I enjoy elevation change in a circuit, and this track has plenty of that! I think it's ideally suited for a car like the advanced trainer.

Last edited by DBond; 06/20/22 12:57 PM.

#4601911 - 06/16/22 11:25 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this a go this evening. Starting off I took the setup in the wrong direction, too loose. Then I brought it back a bit by putting the weight all the way forward and softening the suspension considerably. Feels pretty good now but I have snap lift oversteer if I lift all the way, so I gotta keep a little foot in it. Can't tweak the diff on these cars.

I ran 38.4 in my first laps last night, and after some more track time here and some changes to the balance I turned a 32.9, but forgot to snap a screen. I hope to beat that anyway so no big deal. And anyway you guys can see it in the leaderboards. And way near the top of those boards I see a familiar name.

I set my PB and Frank's as ghosts and after a bit I can hang with him through the the righthander at the end of the uphill backstraight, but then drift off and lose time over the rest of the lap. More track time should hopefully see some improvement through here.

Lots of fun to drive these cars here. I forgot my lap shot, but took this one to show what we're driving. Short track with 16 turns jammed in to two miles. Twisty bits.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files FTA.jpg

#4601979 - 06/18/22 12:32 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave it another go as to make a submission I must have a screenshot of it. Derp.

It's devilish, this track. I feel like I could go faster, if I could not suck at it, ya know? I find the limit too often by going over it.

Still, it's a fun track. I've been a bit at sea with my setup, but I managed to make one I could get around the whole thing with smile

Attached Files HLC9-1.jpg

#4602088 - 06/20/22 12:43 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With no submissions, comments or posts I have to declare myself the winner by default.

I ran a slightly faster lap when I gave it another go, but no need to post it as one is enough as it turns out.

I'm ready to run another, but there has to be participation from others. So if anyone's keen say so, and we can start this back up at a moment's notice.

I'm open to any sim, any car and any track.

#4602089 - 06/20/22 01:05 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ya know what, screw that smile

Because interest in this is low I'll make a concurrent recurrent hotlap challenge. This one has no end.

SimHQ Nordschleife Hotlap Challenge

Any car, any sim @ Nurburgring Nordschleife

Pick any car in any sim. As long as the current Nordschleife layout is the track it's good. All classes, cars and conditions. All for fun so post up your best laps in any whip, from hot hatch to modern F1.

#4602145 - 06/21/22 11:30 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I must say that it's really too hot here for the wheel.

Maybe if there are some challenges next winter I'll participate a bit more when at home. In any case thanks for the ones I was in, this has been fun thumbsup

#4602146 - 06/21/22 12:06 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Next winter? OK, well thanks for joining and see you then?

So maybe this will devolve in to me posting laps 'round the Ring in random rides.

To wit:

McLaren F1 in AMS2. My fastest round of the Ring ever

Attached Files McLarenF1Ring.jpg

#4602147 - 06/21/22 12:13 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Well I can still try with the controller, but....

Edit: Nice Lap !

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/21/22 12:16 PM.
#4602161 - 06/21/22 02:57 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Man I love this track. Nothing quite like it. I gave it another go in RaceRoom. Started off in the Pagani Zonda R. Really fast, but I kept fouling it up, too ambitious with the right foot and I need some setup work to tame this beast.

Then I switched to the Ferrari 488. I have every car in this sim, bought it all in the recent sale, but I think this is the only Ferrari in RaceRoom? Have not seen another yet, but then I haven't rummaged through every class. That is not enough Ferraris, needless to point out.

I really like the feel of RaceRoom, but honestly I like them all, from rFactor to RaceRoom to, ACC, AC and AMS2. Each of these sims is top-shelf. RaceRoom has a fantastic feel of the road, sounds awesome. But then they all do, don't they? RaceRoom also features four Nordschleife layouts -- Nordschleife, VLN, Tourist and 24-Hour. It's a fabulous rendition of the track. Simply superb. For the Green Hell hotlap challenge it's the 20.83 km Nordschleife layout to run.

RaceRoom also has a really good leaderboards setup. Nice UI in this sim. I had so much fun driving it that I'm going to drive this one more often. Here's the leaderboards page. My lap is not so good, and had mistakes in it, I reckon I could break 7 minutes in the 488 with better driving and some setup work. I think I'm also going to start getting involved in public racing with this one. Start off in the rookie races and work my way up, hopefully. No racing is going to sprout around here so I think I'll take the public plunge.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files RRLeaderboard.jpg

#4602193 - 06/21/22 11:21 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Derek, it´s still refreshing seeing your enthusiasm no matter the sim you race. thumbsup

RaceRoom seems to be a good place to start ranked online racing. It´s most popular during European timezones though.

Another good option for ACC would be LFM. You have to get your license first to race on their servers, but it seems well worth the effort. Right now they are on a 2 week vacation before the new season starts.

Like you I really can´ t decide which sim I like the most to race. So I just get my online fix in all of them for now. biggrin

Reactivated my old account over at RaceDepartment and already joined races for AMS2, ACC and rFactor 2.

It´s club racing with usually the same bunch of mostly older guys. Very friendly atmosphere, with comms on Discord. All skill levels are welcome, you just have to drive clean and respect the other drivers and some basic rules. Highly recommended!

Time is the only luxury.
#4602210 - 06/22/22 11:20 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That sounds great Frank, and I noticed you were turning laps in rFactor these past few days.

Yeah, I switch up the sim every day it seems. So much content between them all. Having a good time smile

#4602225 - 06/22/22 04:48 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Random musings.... so I took out an Indy Car on der Nordschleife yesterday (is it der Nordschleife or just Nordschleife? Don't want to sound like a noob. It's der Nurburgring so I just assumed...)

I talked about it a bit in the Sim Racing Stuff thread. A heady experience driving a car so fast around this track. Easily the fastest car I've driven here.

I still want to run Hotlap challenges, so when someone's keen let me know.

In the mean time I plan to just take out random cars in different sims around the Ring and see what it can do.

I managed a 6:10 in the Indy Car which is gobs faster than any car I've driven here before. But it should have P2P, shouldn't it? I mapped a button to it, and hit it when I wanted to but I don't think it was working. Not sure why. But that would be a nice boost to lap time. There are three spots especially on the Nordschleife where you really open the car out, and if I could get P2P in these spots I should see several seconds shaved. I don't expect anyone here is driving Indy Cars in RaceRoom haha, but if you know anything about it let me know what I might be doing wrong.

So being so close, I want to keep trying and see if I can go sub-six. Maybe this car, maybe a different car, but I had never broken seven minutes, and now the sub-six consumes me biggrin

#4602238 - 06/22/22 10:13 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Derek, just a quick tip now that you´re doing laps in RaceRoom and even think of joining ranked racing with that sim.

Install and use OtterHud. It´s incredibly useful especially for online racing.

Another must have not only for RaceRoom but all PC racing sims is CrewChief. That small program will add a lot to your racing experience!

Time is the only luxury.
#4602245 - 06/22/22 11:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Timely advice Frank. Just downloaded Crew Chief tonight, but haven't installed it. Advice to get both of those apps actually came up in a loading screen in the game. Otterhud looks like a lot of clutter, useful clutter, I guess like intervals, sector times and that sort of thing?

Crew Chief I've been meaning to get but never get around to it. Thanks for the tips. I imagine the HUD is customizable anyway right?

I fired up RaceRoom again to give the Indy Car another go. My son asks me from time to time -- I guess he forgets what I answer -- if a Formula 1 car or an Indy Car is faster. It's F1 for sure, even if Indy Cars are very fast in their own right. But F1 is another level, and not that long ago one of the motor racing sites I visit ran an article where they compared lap times around a common track in just about every class of racing you can think of. Even though I knew F1 was faster, the data in that article was stunning in how much faster they actually are. It's not close. I'll have to see if I can dig that up, it wasn't all that long ago, in the past year I'd say.

So as this swirled around in my head I wondered what sort of options were in RaceRoom. Does Codemasters have exclusive rights to call a F1 car a F1 car in racing sims? All of them have generic names, and in Race Room there is the Formula X-17, 2017 being the first year they went to the low rear wing. There are a few more Formula cars, but these must be more like F2 and other feeder series. I still don't see any info in the sim (there oughta be a law) and had to look the cars up in the store to see basic info like horsepower and weight. This is 950 horsepowers and 620kg. V-10 (but should be V-6 turbo hybrid?). Way more car than that awesome Dallara I was driving yesterday, whatever it is supposed to be. It's funny that for as long as I've been driving sims, and all the sims I've played, that I never thrown cars like this around the Ring. But I guess that those F1 sims didn't have the track, and only GPL had this Ring. Like I said, they're almost too fast, and I doubt my ability to race these cars around the Nordschleife. But time trial is another matter, or leaderboard challenge as it's called here.

First lap was sub-six. What a blast! Just screaming around this track at a rate far beyond anything I've done before. Yeah, that's what we expect right, in a F1 car? But man, it's just on another level. I could take Quiddlebacher to Aremberg flat. Came in to make a couple of adjustments, I needed to actually slow the rotation, the car was too responsive for me. Came back out and probably locked up three times, but really went for it this time as I felt more confident after the first stint, and now the car was a little more reigned in. Just unreal to go around this track in this amount of time. And my lap is over thirty seconds behind the top time.

Fuel, tires and damage are off I guess because of the leaderboard mode. I have those enabled but not here

Attached Files 535.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 06/23/22 12:38 AM.

#4602248 - 06/23/22 12:12 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Nice lap! thumbsup

These cars are simply to fast for my age and level of talent.

You can configure OtterHud as you like it. With tons of onscreen info or just some basic stuff. The most important feature is the radar which is simply a must have if you race online on a single screen imo.

Time is the only luxury.
#4602249 - 06/23/22 12:18 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: NimRud]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by NimRud

These cars are simply to fast for my age and level of talent.

That gave me a good chuckle smile

The most important feature is the radar which is simply a must have if you race online on a single screen imo.

Ooh, good point, thanks.

#4602251 - 06/23/22 02:52 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I installed CrewChief and had some chatter during my hotlapping which is cool. Can this be set up to use voice recognition to say change pit strategies. That's one of the things I love about F1 20xx. I've just scratched the surface so far with this app. But I think it will be indispensable. I also noticed RaceRoom supports Track IR, and I should give that a go and see how I like it. I think I would and it would give me a sort of middle ground between fixed view and VR. Worth a go anyway.

After those early stints in this X-17 rocketsled I felt like I could do better. The setup wasn't dialed in all that much yet and i was making mistakes, which I expect getting accustomed to this car on this track. A better setup would reduce mistakes, or so it should be. I experimented with gear ratios and final drive. I'm getting in to 7th gear as I exit on to the long backstraight near the end of the lap, so I'm max rev down basically the whole thing. But stretching out the gearing didn't net any improvement and actually the car struggled to wind it out, maybe because it's uphill. So I had to go back to the default. It was about 10km/h difference at the peak speed. I'm running high aero, especially at the back, and I increased the power side of the diff to tame the exits a bit. Made everything just a touch softer on the suspension.

First stint I improved, but was still locking up too much in the heaviest braking zones like Steilstrecke is it called? The righthander before the Karussell. But I never know if I'm locking the fronts or the rears, but now I have Crew Chief! He told me it was the fronts. Dialed the bias back two more clicks and then turned this lap

I just pulled over here in the first turn after crossing the line, it looks worse than it is

This is a very fast car smile

Attached Files 519.jpg

#4602272 - 06/23/22 01:52 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I said earlier that the 5:35 was 'over thirty seconds' slower than the fastest lap submitted on the leaderboard. Actually it was 45. The top time is a 4:50.2! Around the Nordschleife! That's insane. But with this 5:19 I'm 29 seconds off the pace. 5:19. I just can't get over these lap times, not that I drove that fast, but that the car can go that fast. And with a better driver it can go much faster haha. Here's the Nordschleife leaderboard for all car classes in RaceRoom. The X-17 dominates proceedings as we would expect. I'm 74th at the mo.

RaceRoom Nordschleife leaderboard

I talked above about an article I read comparing lap times in various car classes to establish a pace hierarchy. Found it

How fast is F1 compared to IndyCar, WEC, Super Formula and more

#4602301 - 06/23/22 11:22 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Being quite impotent at learning such a long track, and playing with a controller, I had to find a potent car, to at least hold the trophy until one of you read this post, found the car, ran it and beat my time by a minute.

Anyway, even if I fried my brain at this speed, there it is:

4.48 something. Not pretty, not good, but fun biggrin

[Linked Image]

#4602318 - 06/24/22 12:06 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What a lap!

I hadn't accounted for fictional cars, but I did say 'any car' so I'll allow it biggrin

I think your lap will stand a while as Frank is too old to go that fast and I have no 1500 horsepower batmobiles lol.

Last night I drove the Saleen, the Indy Car, Formula 3 and a couple more in RR. And also the 2022 F1 car in AMS2.

Gotta say I am really liking Race Room. The driving's great in this one.

I got the Indy Car down to 5:47 and no longer last on the leaderboard.

#4602352 - 06/24/22 09:03 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
Non fictional, but still fast, even with me behind the wheel, Alonso's ride:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/24/22 09:44 PM.
#4602370 - 06/25/22 12:18 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great lap and cool car.

Sub-six at the Ring, congrats (after you'd already done a sub-five)

I'm having a lot of fun taking a mix of whips around the Nordschleife in leaderboard mode in RaceRoom. Last night I did more laps in the 488, dialing in the setup and turning a 6:55, and the Pagani Zonda, which was five seconds faster. The Zonda has limited chassis setup options, but is a fast car even so. I drove a number of Porsches. But as I've said the game features no specifications, and I have no idea how each of these compares. At minimum I want weight, power and weight distribution. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so. Motor type would be nice too.

When I got in to AMS2 I did so in part because it has a great rep as an open-wheel sim. But I'm liking RR a bit more I have to say. I drove the V-8 X-90 I think it's called, a representative 1990's F1 car. There's a V-8, V-10 and V-12 version. Pretty cool. No TC on these cars. Turned a 5:58 which is top ten on a sparsely populated board and 23 seconds off the top time. I'll give the V-10 and V-12 a run out as well. I like that the leaderboards are on the net so I can check them anytime and see where I stand and how the lap times are distributed.

https://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/

Use the dropdowns to select car and track in the upper right

Since getting back in to this a few months ago I reckon I've driven more distance on the Nordschleife than I have on every other track combined. Love this track.

#4602376 - 06/25/22 02:53 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  

France
I would probably be more in the 10mn range with damage turned on, this track is scary at these speeds !

#4644963 - 04/10/24 12:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone up for starting this up again? I do a lot of hotlapping for the leaderboards and doing these challenges was a lot of fun. Just throwing it out there. Any car, any track, any sim, it don't matta to me!

Well I shouldn't say 'any sim' as I probably don't have them all, but must be close smile

#4645189 - 04/14/24 08:25 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Would anyone consider this a challenge?

Attached Files AC.png

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4645190 - 04/14/24 08:38 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: McGonigle]  

LEGE
Originally Posted by McGonigle

What sim Is that on?

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4645201 - 04/14/24 01:07 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
That’s Assetto Corsa, the hotlap challenge in AC Manager.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4645203 - 04/14/24 01:47 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: McGonigle]  

LEGE
That’s Assetto Corsa, the hotlap challenge in AC Manager.

Thanks Jens, will try that out too. Just trying to shave off some mils on the NSU and I´ll give that a spin.

#4645207 - 04/14/24 02:54 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: McGonigle]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Why yes, we would indeed smile

A nice surprise on a beautiful Sunday morning. Hadn't fired up AC since October of '22, according to Steam. But there's a old time rocketsled challenge at old school Monza and that's like a moth to a flame, isn't it? Thanks Jens.

Struggled at first. I had a setup saved, but it wasn't very good for me, today, so I spent a number of stints exploring and tweaking. Lesmos 1 was just killing me. Too wide, or lose the rear, or tip toe through and go too slow. I had to change the balance and did so with springs, roll bars, diff and more. Got the car in a better place, but never did put all my sectors together. I think there's a 28 in there somewhere. I could use a better turn marker in to Ascari, and Grande and Parabolica are so inconsistent. Such a simple track, but a massive challenge to go fast here.

29-flat

Attached Files 20240414104550_1.jpg

#4645209 - 04/14/24 05:10 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
An awesome laptime Derek! I surrender!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4645210 - 04/14/24 05:32 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Surrender? Pfft, time to dig in and deploy the reserves to counterattack biggrin

Such a different feel to AC. I know many players love it, and especially the physics and force feedback, but I prefer some of the others here. Subjective.

AC however does have gobs of content, and a lot of achievements and challenges. My son likes it for drifting. I bought him exactly the same setup I have, same wheel and seat, plus a H-shifter which I don't have. He drives AC and BeamNG mostly

#4645394 - Yesterday at 12:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, I've got one. Formula Junior at Nordschliefe smile

FJR @ der Nurburgring

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.