Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4601803 - 06/15/22 04:20 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Up for anything here.

AMS 2 sounds great for a change. `67 cars around Nordschleife is fun but maybe a bit too harsh for a start? wink

Derek, during summer PC gaming time is usually low so I wouldn´ t expect a sudden spike of interest in virtual racing here at SimHQ no matter the enthusiasm of a few of us.

Time is the only luxury.
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4601804 - 06/15/22 04:27 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha I don't expect that regardless of meteorological or calendrical considerations biggrin

I was just half-joking about the vintage F1 cars. The other half was serious haha.

No suggestions? I'll work something out. I'll ask Sintax which DLC he has. You have the full AMS2 content right?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4601807 - 06/15/22 04:38 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Yes, have all the DLC for AMS 2.

A moderately fast car at Cadwell Park would be my suggestion for a start into AMS 2.

Time is the only luxury.
#4601808 - 06/15/22 04:41 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thank you thumbsup

#4601857 - 06/16/22 12:24 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And this one is done and dusted, with NimRud once again top of the timing sheets. Well done to you, that's a stellar lap time that I could not touch.

I tried it again last night and reasoned that as Suzuka's a Japanese track that Japanese cars would go fastest around it. So I took out the GT-R and the Honda. Both went around well, but no better than 2:05s for me, so no improvement.

I then drove the R8 once more and improved by two tenths to 2:03.5 but no farther.

We are going to change it up for event number nine

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 9

Formula Trainer Advanced @ Cadwell Park

Event Winner : me, the only entrant

Automobilista Motorsport Simulator 2

Any mode is fine

Might require DLC?

Good luck!

I turned some laps here last night. My first time at Cadwell park and what a delightful track it is. Good shout Frank. I always talk about how I enjoy elevation change in a circuit, and this track has plenty of that! I think it's ideally suited for a car like the advanced trainer.

Last edited by DBond; 06/20/22 12:57 PM.

#4601911 - 06/16/22 11:25 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this a go this evening. Starting off I took the setup in the wrong direction, too loose. Then I brought it back a bit by putting the weight all the way forward and softening the suspension considerably. Feels pretty good now but I have snap lift oversteer if I lift all the way, so I gotta keep a little foot in it. Can't tweak the diff on these cars.

I ran 38.4 in my first laps last night, and after some more track time here and some changes to the balance I turned a 32.9, but forgot to snap a screen. I hope to beat that anyway so no big deal. And anyway you guys can see it in the leaderboards. And way near the top of those boards I see a familiar name.

I set my PB and Frank's as ghosts and after a bit I can hang with him through the the righthander at the end of the uphill backstraight, but then drift off and lose time over the rest of the lap. More track time should hopefully see some improvement through here.

Lots of fun to drive these cars here. I forgot my lap shot, but took this one to show what we're driving. Short track with 16 turns jammed in to two miles. Twisty bits.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files FTA.jpg

#4601979 - 06/18/22 12:32 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave it another go as to make a submission I must have a screenshot of it. Derp.

It's devilish, this track. I feel like I could go faster, if I could not suck at it, ya know? I find the limit too often by going over it.

Still, it's a fun track. I've been a bit at sea with my setup, but I managed to make one I could get around the whole thing with smile

Attached Files HLC9-1.jpg

#4602088 - 06/20/22 12:43 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With no submissions, comments or posts I have to declare myself the winner by default.

I ran a slightly faster lap when I gave it another go, but no need to post it as one is enough as it turns out.

I'm ready to run another, but there has to be participation from others. So if anyone's keen say so, and we can start this back up at a moment's notice.

I'm open to any sim, any car and any track.

#4602089 - 06/20/22 01:05 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ya know what, screw that smile

Because interest in this is low I'll make a concurrent recurrent hotlap challenge. This one has no end.

SimHQ Nordschleife Hotlap Challenge

Any car, any sim @ Nurburgring Nordschleife

Pick any car in any sim. As long as the current Nordschleife layout is the track it's good. All classes, cars and conditions. All for fun so post up your best laps in any whip, from hot hatch to modern F1.

#4602145 - 06/21/22 11:30 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I must say that it's really too hot here for the wheel.

Maybe if there are some challenges next winter I'll participate a bit more when at home. In any case thanks for the ones I was in, this has been fun thumbsup

#4602146 - 06/21/22 12:06 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Next winter? OK, well thanks for joining and see you then?

So maybe this will devolve in to me posting laps 'round the Ring in random rides.

To wit:

McLaren F1 in AMS2. My fastest round of the Ring ever

Attached Files McLarenF1Ring.jpg

#4602147 - 06/21/22 12:13 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Well I can still try with the controller, but....

Edit: Nice Lap !

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/21/22 12:16 PM.
#4602161 - 06/21/22 02:57 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Man I love this track. Nothing quite like it. I gave it another go in RaceRoom. Started off in the Pagani Zonda R. Really fast, but I kept fouling it up, too ambitious with the right foot and I need some setup work to tame this beast.

Then I switched to the Ferrari 488. I have every car in this sim, bought it all in the recent sale, but I think this is the only Ferrari in RaceRoom? Have not seen another yet, but then I haven't rummaged through every class. That is not enough Ferraris, needless to point out.

I really like the feel of RaceRoom, but honestly I like them all, from rFactor to RaceRoom to, ACC, AC and AMS2. Each of these sims is top-shelf. RaceRoom has a fantastic feel of the road, sounds awesome. But then they all do, don't they? RaceRoom also features four Nordschleife layouts -- Nordschleife, VLN, Tourist and 24-Hour. It's a fabulous rendition of the track. Simply superb. For the Green Hell hotlap challenge it's the 20.83 km Nordschleife layout to run.

RaceRoom also has a really good leaderboards setup. Nice UI in this sim. I had so much fun driving it that I'm going to drive this one more often. Here's the leaderboards page. My lap is not so good, and had mistakes in it, I reckon I could break 7 minutes in the 488 with better driving and some setup work. I think I'm also going to start getting involved in public racing with this one. Start off in the rookie races and work my way up, hopefully. No racing is going to sprout around here so I think I'll take the public plunge.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files RRLeaderboard.jpg

#4602193 - 06/21/22 11:21 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Derek, it´s still refreshing seeing your enthusiasm no matter the sim you race. thumbsup

RaceRoom seems to be a good place to start ranked online racing. It´s most popular during European timezones though.

Another good option for ACC would be LFM. You have to get your license first to race on their servers, but it seems well worth the effort. Right now they are on a 2 week vacation before the new season starts.

Like you I really can´ t decide which sim I like the most to race. So I just get my online fix in all of them for now. biggrin

Reactivated my old account over at RaceDepartment and already joined races for AMS2, ACC and rFactor 2.

It´s club racing with usually the same bunch of mostly older guys. Very friendly atmosphere, with comms on Discord. All skill levels are welcome, you just have to drive clean and respect the other drivers and some basic rules. Highly recommended!

Time is the only luxury.
#4602210 - 06/22/22 11:20 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That sounds great Frank, and I noticed you were turning laps in rFactor these past few days.

Yeah, I switch up the sim every day it seems. So much content between them all. Having a good time smile

#4602225 - 06/22/22 04:48 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Random musings.... so I took out an Indy Car on der Nordschleife yesterday (is it der Nordschleife or just Nordschleife? Don't want to sound like a noob. It's der Nurburgring so I just assumed...)

I talked about it a bit in the Sim Racing Stuff thread. A heady experience driving a car so fast around this track. Easily the fastest car I've driven here.

I still want to run Hotlap challenges, so when someone's keen let me know.

In the mean time I plan to just take out random cars in different sims around the Ring and see what it can do.

I managed a 6:10 in the Indy Car which is gobs faster than any car I've driven here before. But it should have P2P, shouldn't it? I mapped a button to it, and hit it when I wanted to but I don't think it was working. Not sure why. But that would be a nice boost to lap time. There are three spots especially on the Nordschleife where you really open the car out, and if I could get P2P in these spots I should see several seconds shaved. I don't expect anyone here is driving Indy Cars in RaceRoom haha, but if you know anything about it let me know what I might be doing wrong.

So being so close, I want to keep trying and see if I can go sub-six. Maybe this car, maybe a different car, but I had never broken seven minutes, and now the sub-six consumes me biggrin

#4602238 - 06/22/22 10:13 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Derek, just a quick tip now that you´re doing laps in RaceRoom and even think of joining ranked racing with that sim.

Install and use OtterHud. It´s incredibly useful especially for online racing.

Another must have not only for RaceRoom but all PC racing sims is CrewChief. That small program will add a lot to your racing experience!

Time is the only luxury.
#4602245 - 06/22/22 11:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Timely advice Frank. Just downloaded Crew Chief tonight, but haven't installed it. Advice to get both of those apps actually came up in a loading screen in the game. Otterhud looks like a lot of clutter, useful clutter, I guess like intervals, sector times and that sort of thing?

Crew Chief I've been meaning to get but never get around to it. Thanks for the tips. I imagine the HUD is customizable anyway right?

I fired up RaceRoom again to give the Indy Car another go. My son asks me from time to time -- I guess he forgets what I answer -- if a Formula 1 car or an Indy Car is faster. It's F1 for sure, even if Indy Cars are very fast in their own right. But F1 is another level, and not that long ago one of the motor racing sites I visit ran an article where they compared lap times around a common track in just about every class of racing you can think of. Even though I knew F1 was faster, the data in that article was stunning in how much faster they actually are. It's not close. I'll have to see if I can dig that up, it wasn't all that long ago, in the past year I'd say.

So as this swirled around in my head I wondered what sort of options were in RaceRoom. Does Codemasters have exclusive rights to call a F1 car a F1 car in racing sims? All of them have generic names, and in Race Room there is the Formula X-17, 2017 being the first year they went to the low rear wing. There are a few more Formula cars, but these must be more like F2 and other feeder series. I still don't see any info in the sim (there oughta be a law) and had to look the cars up in the store to see basic info like horsepower and weight. This is 950 horsepowers and 620kg. V-10 (but should be V-6 turbo hybrid?). Way more car than that awesome Dallara I was driving yesterday, whatever it is supposed to be. It's funny that for as long as I've been driving sims, and all the sims I've played, that I never thrown cars like this around the Ring. But I guess that those F1 sims didn't have the track, and only GPL had this Ring. Like I said, they're almost too fast, and I doubt my ability to race these cars around the Nordschleife. But time trial is another matter, or leaderboard challenge as it's called here.

First lap was sub-six. What a blast! Just screaming around this track at a rate far beyond anything I've done before. Yeah, that's what we expect right, in a F1 car? But man, it's just on another level. I could take Quiddlebacher to Aremberg flat. Came in to make a couple of adjustments, I needed to actually slow the rotation, the car was too responsive for me. Came back out and probably locked up three times, but really went for it this time as I felt more confident after the first stint, and now the car was a little more reigned in. Just unreal to go around this track in this amount of time. And my lap is over thirty seconds behind the top time.

Fuel, tires and damage are off I guess because of the leaderboard mode. I have those enabled but not here

Attached Files 535.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 06/23/22 12:38 AM.

#4602248 - 06/23/22 12:12 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Nice lap! thumbsup

These cars are simply to fast for my age and level of talent.

You can configure OtterHud as you like it. With tons of onscreen info or just some basic stuff. The most important feature is the radar which is simply a must have if you race online on a single screen imo.

Time is the only luxury.
#4602249 - 06/23/22 12:18 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: NimRud]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by NimRud

These cars are simply to fast for my age and level of talent.

That gave me a good chuckle smile

The most important feature is the radar which is simply a must have if you race online on a single screen imo.

Ooh, good point, thanks.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.