Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4599810 - 05/18/22 07:41 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
That is a good lap DB.

I am doing my best, but I am not even close. I guess that should be expected.
After doing some research I have found that I will not get any closer without learning more about set-up.
Driving around with an almost out of the box set-oup will not win any races.
So I will use some time on looking at what the different parameters do. I have looked at some videos out there, and I understand there is much to gain. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4599811 - 05/18/22 07:50 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Wigean

There's the Sim Racing Garage thread if you want to discuss any of it. And I am very willing to meet up and we can talk through some changes. Identify what the car needs and then make the changes to dial it in.

Yes, that lap felt good. This is a good track for trail braking. Well they all are, and that brings better lap times.

This might help get you started

https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/the-ultimate-acc-car-setup-guide/

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4599886 - 05/19/22 06:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
Thanks for the link.
This sim is really harder and more technical demanding than I thought.
Which of course makes the sim more interesting.

I`ve seen people doing 1:20 on Laguna now.
How they get a car to respond like that makes me speechless.

I`ll see if I can get to the Sim Racing Garage. Just have to learn some more. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4599905 - 05/19/22 10:10 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
1:20 is sick. That's far beyond me, that's for sure.

The thread I mentioned is one I made further down the list for discussing car setup. A good spot to kick this around if you want.

In general, I've gone softer over the safe setup. A lot depends on the car and track of course, but in general I tend to nudge the brake bias toward the rear. I like to feel the car rotating under braking in to a corner, and it makes trail braking more controllable. The heavily rear-weighted 991 especially, but I drag it back on most cars. I tend to find most cars don't turn in well and are a little snappy or low grip with default setup. So I like to soften the front springs and roll bar. This gives the car more front grip under braking and throttle-off entry. If it's understeering on entry, softer front is the first step.

But each car/track combo is different. I just set up the 991 for Paul Ricard and had to considerably stiffen the front to handle the high speed sweepers. Same with the BMW M6 in the Spa challenge. That needed a stronger front end for me.

One odd thing about this sim is the gearing is not adjustable. Is that part of the BoP (Balance of Performance) in the series? Maybe each car is locked to a certain gearing? On some tracks I really need to do this, as some corners and corner complexes just feel awkward as I always feel between gears. The third sector at Kyalami is like this in the 991. On other tracks, certain cars don't wind out top gear, or barely get in to top gear at all.

For aero I tend to stick close to default. These are the first cars where I don't consider wings in terms of downforce really, but for car balance. The aero section has that balance value at the bottom and I like to aim for a neutral setting near zero. What this means is markedly different from car to car, and is mostly handled through how the car is raked. Some default setups come with reverse rake (front ride height higher than rear) which was odd to me at first, but I read up on it and certain cars perform better this way. The 991 though is a high rake car, compared to the others. It's the first sim where I really paid attention and use ride height for balance, and not just set it to keep the car off the bump stops and handle the kerbs.

#4599985 - 05/21/22 12:56 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Simply forgot to post my lap. Here is my best try with the Ferrari.

Attached Files ACC 488 Evo Hotlap.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4599986 - 05/21/22 01:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Dammit!

I thought this week was mine as no one had a lap. I can beat no one without breaking a sweat.

Half a second.

Great driving mate.

thumbsup

#4600076 - 05/23/22 12:06 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wigean

I`m in.

Wigean, before I call time on this one I wanted to ask if you intend to submit a lap?

#4600097 - 05/23/22 04:00 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
Sorry,
I have to pass on this one.
Too much other things going on for the moment. smile

#4600099 - 05/23/22 04:47 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No worries mate.

And I will declare NimRud three-time defending champion. Great driving man. I thought I might have a shot at Laguna Seca, but no. smile

With the lack of interest and participation in this I think it's best to call time on the hotlap challenge. It could be restarted if there's a ground swell

The ACC server is also cancelled, due to lack of interest and participation

Thanks to everyone who took part. I had fun doing this.

#4600237 - 05/25/22 05:59 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Let me know which track will be the next one for the challenge. I have no preference.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4600238 - 05/25/22 06:25 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With Panzer's interest I see no reason to not revive the Hotlap Challenge! I have a lot of fun with this, but when it was really just Frank and I, I felt a little foolish and anyway we race together and can just do it live and in person smile

So yeah, by all means, and great to have you Panzer!

I really liked the idea of opening out the rules and restrictions. So once again, none at all except for the track. Any car, any mode, any conditions. Stack your deck if you can. It's all good and all for fun.

SimHQ Hotlap Challenge Event # 4

Any car @ Zandvoort

Assetto Corsa Competizione

Event winner : NimRud Four wins on the bounce!

Good luck!

Requires the 2020 GT World Challenge Pack DLC

If Panzer doesn't have this DLC I'll switch tracks.

Last edited by DBond; 06/01/22 12:18 PM.

#4600242 - 05/25/22 06:35 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And by the way, previous events are always open to unseat the throne-holder. I must declare a winner at some point (usually after four or five days) but late-comers can always submit a lap for an earlier challenge if they want. I will duly update the new event winner as often as needed.

Panzer does not have the DLC (yet), so the track is already changing to Zandvoort. I turned a lot of laps here yesterday in AC (not ACC). Fun track.

Good luck!

#4600243 - 05/25/22 06:45 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for setting it up and I’ll definitely do some laps tomorrow. I just need the server password now. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4600252 - 05/25/22 10:40 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gave this a go this evening. Started in the Porsche, as I've a setup already. Knocked a second and half off the PB. Not sure where that came from, but yeah, it went well. First submission 1:39.575. I will give the Audi a run out here too and maybe one or two more? Porsche, Audi and Ferrari have proven to be my favorites so far.

This is my main ride however. I've turned a lot more laps in this car than any others. Black Nine Racing #9 2019 Porsche 991 GT3 R. Suits me, and I think it's because it seems more pedal-responsive than other cars, probably due to the weight distribution. More lift oversteer, pretty nimble in the twisty bits, but down on pure power and straightline pace at the fastest tracks. Sharp in all black smile

[Linked Image]

Lap screen attached too

Attached Files HLC4.jpgMyOffice.jpg

#4600256 - 05/25/22 11:39 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hopped back in to give the Audi a go. At Laguna Seca when I switched to this car I went faster straight away, and here at Zandvoort too. Have I mentioned this car sounds awesome?

Anatomy of a hotlap session

All I did with the safe setup was to bring pressures up a few notches. Since tires reset every time you cross the line in hotlap, putting more air in than the default is usually needed. Set ABS, TC and TC2 all to 4.

First lap is always going to suffer a bit in hotlap, since it's the only one in the session where you take the preceding final corner with starting pressures. The next time around they're up and you can carry more speed through this final section. But I did a 1:40.4 which was less than a second off the best I could turn in the 991. Next time around with the pressures up it was one tenth slower than the 991. Next lap was 39 flat and six tenths faster. Good grief. Then I fouled up the fourth lap before a 38.8 on lap five. Then six laps of heartbreak as I couldn't put it all together and improve further. That's two tracks in a row where the safe setup feels great with this R8. Just the right amount of oversteer, for me. Most cars I have to do some work to make them feel good, but the R8 comes ready to run. This is the LMS Evo version.

Second submission

[Linked Image]

Two laps had exactly the same purple third sector time

Attached Files HLC4-1.jpg

#4600430 - 05/27/22 05:23 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Gave the Honda a try. Not my favourite to be honest but I was surprised to do basically the same times after only a few laps compared to my usual drive, the Bentley.

Not as comfortable and safe to drive on the limit for my level of talent though. driving

Attached Files ACC Honda Hotlap Zandy 1-37-25.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
#4600436 - 05/27/22 06:05 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Dammit!!

I crushed my PB by nearly three seconds and thought maybe, just maybe, I had a shot this week.

And you go faster in like the worst GT3 car. It would be soul crushing if it wasn't so much fun smile

Nice lap Frank old boy.

#4600535 - 05/29/22 11:56 AM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It only takes like 20 or 30 minutes to get a lap. Surprised more don't want to get involved.

I gave this another go Started in the 488 and managed to improve by two tenths, 38.6.

Then I swapped to the GT-R. I think this is my first go in this car, and I really liked it. No one talks about the GT-R, so I suspected it was down a bit on pace, but I broke 39 in it. I'll be driving this one a little more often.

Then hopped back in to the Audi and went fastest yet, but still well off that Honda!

Zandy is a tricky track to nail. So many little mini-sectors with their own nuances. Difficult to string it all together. But it's a great track to drive.

Third submission

Attached Files HLC4-3.jpg

#4600611 - 05/30/22 12:40 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Panzer, you have a lap? Anyone else?

Maybe I revived this in error oops

:

#4600648 - 05/30/22 06:15 PM Re: SimHQ Hotlap Challenge [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
I tried, but I'm too much off pace to post.

I'll see if I can do something worth posting, but hopes are quite low.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.