#4567627 - 05/07/21 05:50 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: JimK]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by JimK
Originally Posted by NH2112
I’m not sure I like the new Naomi, when did she get so weepy and emotional?

No kidding, getting sick of her. Last episode she took over. She is destroying the show.
Reality of space, She would have been dead for sure making that jump without a suit that distance.

This study might interest you:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19660005052/downloads/19660005052.pdf

and for further reading:

http://www.geoffreylandis.com/vacuum.html

In absolute zero temps, she would have been a brick by time hit the airlock

FYI not exactly. Space is a near perfect insulator, where heat buildup on spacecraft is a very real nightmare. As our bodies are concerned, the only way we'd technically lose heat in space while naked is fluids being lost, gasses exhaled, or blackbody radiation(IR) which is slow to release energy, especially while clothed. We would not freeze instantly into a solid chunk of frozen flesh.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4587860 - 12/26/21 01:25 AM Re: The Expanse [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I for one would choose that over say, surfing in a white shark protected CA seal populated beach.

Anyway, The Expanse is back I just noticed. Now that Bezos is a true space traveler, LOL, no doubt he will have some kind of horrid input.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4598946 - 05/06/22 03:56 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well, I finished the series. The last season was directed, written, and storyboarded poorly at times. The last episode, however, was fantastic.

One of the biggest mistakes made repeatedly that reeked of amateurism was showing something happening and then ten or fifteen minutes later showing the same thing happening in a replay or recording for others to watch. An accomplished writer and filmmaker knows this is wasted screen time, and figures out far in advance how to weave all the elements together to avoid this--while increasing tension, suspense, and pacing. I'm not sure how they let this happen repeatedly, but they should not have--especially with only six episodes this season. They should have done their absolute most to economize everything, but instead they didn't and made these mistakes.

I must say I grew tired of the belter civil war conflict, as it seemed to drag on and on and at times felt like a soap opera. Gone was the brilliant flash, suspense and drama of the first two seasons. The episodes felt like they were produced by a completely different team. Maybe they were?

What _was_ interesting was the jungle planet which we saw so little of. What was going on there? What was that all about? Who were those people? THAT was interesting. THAT is what I expected a lot more of when they discovered the rings in season 3, and THAT is what we did not get much of which is a #%&*$# shame. That should have been the focus going forward, but I suppose after the lackluster(dull) season four, they had to to back to the silly human conflicts in Sol. Oh, no, the silly human conflicts never ended, because that's what even season four was about.

I expected more.

I hope someone, somewhere decided to fund subsequent seasons, as I would like to see the show depart from Sol politics and move on to bigger things. Humans will be stupid and until we drastically alter our paradigms of what we value and appreciate the most, we will continue to war, kill, maim, and cause suffering and destruction. The discovery of the rings, however, promised much more than this. I hope the next books are about that. I don't know--I have not read them. I'm hesitant to if I have to slog through constant human conflict in the fourth through the sixth.

The conclusion was nice, and I have heard time jumps way ahead in subsequent novels. That does sound promising.

So far I rate this series a *** 1/2 out of **** stars.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/06/22 04:04 PM.
#4598949 - 05/06/22 04:29 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Humans will be stupid and until we drastically alter our paradigms of what we value and appreciate the most, we will continue to war, kill, maim, and cause suffering and destruction.

This is like wishing that predators such as lions and gators stop eating other animals and instead start eating exclusively vegetation. Humans have innate biological and evolutionary traits that are geared towards things like competition, self-preservation and territorialism and that will never go away unless you are talking about some kind of biological re-engineering of the human species.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4598955 - 05/06/22 05:15 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
There were rumors at the beginning of the year of a Laconia spinoff series that follows the goings on of the ring planets rather than the Sol system. Don't know what became of that.

#4598956 - 05/06/22 05:26 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: wormfood]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
There were rumors at the beginning of the year of a Laconia spinoff series that follows the goings on of the ring planets rather than the Sol system. Don't know what became of that.

If Amazon was happy with the streaming numbers it got for the Expanse I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in a spinoff. Streaming services are usually very tight-lipped with that data though so we may never know.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4598992 - 05/06/22 11:18 PM Re: The Expanse [Re: wormfood]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by wormfood

Amazon needs to cancel the midden heap known as Wheel Of Time and use its funding to develop a Laconia series. About 30 years pass between books 6 and 7 (I think), in the TV series season 5 is roughly analogous to book 6 and the intervening 30 years never happen. I’d love to see Franck & Abraham flesh Laconia out and show what happened in those 30 years.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4637556 - 10/25/23 01:22 AM Re: The Expanse [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

1) Naomi magically warning Holden that the reactor on the Rocinante is booby trapped from across the solar system, just as he is about to power it on. That was cheap writing.

I’m watching the series again and agree 100%. A much better idea IMO would be to use the fact that Naomi initially wrote the program that was installed in the Roci and it was used to destroy a civilian vessel. It seems plausible that she’d ensure the same thing couldn’t happen to any ship she’s on. Or alternately, Martian military computers would be a little more resistant to hacking. I’m sure Mars didn’t let Belters work on their military ships, design their hardware, or write the software.

And why the HELL didn’t she just strip some wire from other parts of the ship, run it from the switch she was opening & closing through the bulkhead, and do her message editing in the part of the ship with air?

Last edited by NH2112; 10/25/23 01:28 AM.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.