Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
#4588743 - 01/07/22 06:06 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

[Linked Image]

Settings files available under the following post. As always, please look over the included "Read Me" file for more detailed info.

Cheers all and happy tracking/padlocking in the WOFF series,
Von S smile2

Attached Files FaceTrackNoirSettingsVonS.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 01/07/22 06:07 AM. Reason: Embedded illustrative pic.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4589583 - 01/18/22 05:50 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

And one more small update to this thread before I hunker down in work mode again.

Was able to squeeze in some tweaking of the Aviatik B.I, as per interesting comments under this thread. The B.I is now a bit more historical (slower) with regard to top speed, also with (slightly) more docile flying characteristics. The up-engined B.II and particularly the B.III were even worse to fly, so this one is now a bit of a "downgraded" improvement.

It's not too bad if you don't fly roughly - use about 10% down stick when flying to keep it level - as well, if dead-sticking it, watch speed since the type tends to pancake rather than go nose down if slower than about 72-3 kph. Climbs are fairly safe if you don't drop below about 80 kph - takes a while to climb though, although climb rate is slightly improved from stock and ailerons are a bit more effective. More adverse yaw on this one too, with those flappy ailerons - so coordinate smoothly when flying.

Tweaks available both for WOFF UE/PE and BH&H2 - for convenience go to this link first, and you will find the relevant links there.

Cheers all and happy flight training in the Aviatik B.I,
Von S smile2

FM Testing in WOFF PE/UE 4.18

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FM Testing in BH&H2 1.20

[Linked Image]

(Hauptmann Triggerz showing the new fellow what real flying looks like biggrin )

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 01_418.jpg02_418.jpg03_120.jpg04_120.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 01/18/22 06:00 AM. Reason: Embedded pics.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4594997 - 03/24/22 06:55 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

A brief break from work means that some more FM tweaking has taken place. Please find at the following link a Fokker-built D.VII with the Mercedes D.III(au) engine of estimated 200 HP, for BH&H2. Also under that post you will find another link to the same tweak for WOFF UE/PE. Remember only to load either the early 180 HP D.VII or the 200 HP variant - not both at once - since both replace the stock D.VII in WOFF/BH&H2.

These tweaks, and others provided earlier, now give an assortment of D.VII variants that may be flown in WOFF/BH&H2, as follows:

- the early Fokker-built D.VII Mercedes D.III(a) 180 HP FM mod. (most lethargic of the variants but good for novices)
- the Fokker-built D.VII Mercedes D.III(au) 200 HP FM mod. (slightly better speed and climb rate than on the 200 HP OAW variant, but more fragile)
- the OAW-built D.VII Mercedes D.III(au) 200 HP FM mod. (a fine D.VII indeed)
- an OAW-built D.VII BMW 230 HP FM mod. (and that replaces the stock Fokker-built D.VII(F) BMW)**

** To fly a slightly less sturdy, Fokker-built (BMW) D.VII, use the stock FM for the D.VII(F) variant -- a nice variety of choices now -- particularly for hardcore "DiDers."

Cheers all & happy flying,
Von S smile2

FM Testing in (Franken)WOFF PE/UE 4.18***

*** Representative pic. includes a mix of 4L0M and PE-era terrains in WOFF 4.18.

[Linked Image]

FM Testing in BH&H2 Patch 1.21 "Recon Wars"****

**** Representative pic. includes a JSGME-loaded WOFF UE/PE, also 4L0M, "assorted" terrains mod.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files WOFF418_FokkD7_200hp.jpgBH2_121_FokkD7_200hp.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 03/24/22 07:02 AM. Reason: Embedded representative pics.

#4597292 - 04/16/22 11:11 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Had a very brief break from work recently and, as usual, thought some more of the splendid WoFF series.

As per the stimulating thread located over here, regarding AI behavior tweaks, etc. in BH&H2 - permit me to suggest that those who don't mind tinkering with the simulation.xml file manually might find the following info. helpful and that I have re-copied from one of my PM's. Keep in mind that the simulation.xml file in the "FrankenBHAH Enhancement Package" (which is strictly for BH&H2-era WOFF), as well as the various simulation.xml files provided for WOFF UE/PE only - all of which are linked to under the relevant WOFF thread (on CombatAce) for all of my WOFF-related mods - already implement such changes if you don't like tweaking the simulation.xml files manually.

Here is the relevant post:

-----
I have also changed two other sections in the simulation.xml file but those changes affect dogfighting style, chances of certain maneuvers, and willingness to engage or break off from fighting -- such tampering changes the fundamental nature of dogfighting in WOFF so should be used with caution if it is to be used in DiD style campaigns (the changes are at any rate reasonable and will lead to greater chances of clumsy novice AI, etc. - as well as slightly more prolonged dogfights before the AI disengages - and also, sometimes, the AI, if only slightly damaged, will continue fighting you, breaking off only if there is major damage to its airplane) - relevant changes there are the ones located under the "maneuvers/effort," "boom," "chandelle," "goround," etc. entries - that are towards the bottom of the simulation.xml file. Also relevant there is the "individual fighter v fighter" entry (see threshold values there):

stock (AI will retreat home on first sign of AI aircraft damage and will dogfight for shorter periods, on average)

fightThreshold="-1"
withdrawThreshold="-2"/>

** my changes (AI will fight longer, even if with minor damage to their aircraft) **

fightThreshold="-2"
withdrawThreshold="-3"/>

more aggressive (AI will fight even with moderate damage and much longer than stock)

fightThreshold="-3"
withdrawThreshold="-4"/>

fully aggressive (AI will fight to the death; equivalent to "AI never backs down" in the WOFF in-sim menu)

fightThreshold="-4"
withdrawThreshold="-5"/>
-----

Such tweaking of threshold values, for various two-seater entries too, might give you results that you would prefer for two-seaters (for example, less or more aggressive two-seaters). Anyway, hope some of this info. is helpful, especially for the "manual tinkerer"/WoFFer who may occasionally read these threads. Other links with similar info. to that explained in this post are located here and here.

EDIT: For the record, I have not noticed any AI oddities in the BH&H2 era, perhaps a slightly different frequency of maneuvers when compared to the WOFF UE/PE era (which is to be expected with further AI development in the series) -- but I have not noticed any strange or odd AI behavior. Furthermore, I fly with the simulation.xml file included in my "FrankenBHAH Enhancement Package" (specifically the one available in the hardcore addon-mod ver. 1.5 for my Enhancement Package) - so take my little edited note for what it's worth.

Cheers all and happy tweaking,
Von S smile2

Pic. of some nicely dreary weather in (Franken)WOFF 4.18, with BB's weather mod. ver. 1.45 and clouds mod. ver. 4.0 loaded (as well as SweetFX) - always appreciate the aesthetics (thanks OBD for a very painterly series of sims.)
[Linked Image]

Attached Files 01_418.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 05/01/22 05:33 PM. Reason: Edited post.

#4597295 - 04/16/22 11:49 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

And one more post to round out this page of the "casual campaigns" thread before I disappear again into work mode. Was looking over some of the weather-related posts recently popped up here on the WoFF SimHQ threads, regarding appropriate weather mod and cloud patch mod combos. that work well, particularly with the greater weather-related options that have been integrated into BH&H2 from about patch 1.21/1.22 onwards. A crude chart is available under this particular post, for those interested.

On a broader note it's worth considering, in relation to poor/good weather in WWI and the crates' that we (virtually) fly -- how light most of them actually were. For your interest, I provide some selective info. below that helps to keep things in perspective as we navigate through some rough n' tumble weather in the WoFF series. (Note: my comments regarding lightness of airplanes are with reference to WOFF UE/PE/BH2 -- have not flown in earlier WOFFs so can't comment on those WOFFs of yore.)

Generally speaking, I would assume that light scouts were probably grounded more frequently in bad weather than the heavier two seaters, particularly early in the war when only very light scouts were available, such as the Eindeckers, the Morane Bullet, and whatnot. The empty weight on the Morane Bullet was only around 600 lbs/280 kg, for example, and 750 lbs/340 kg on the Fokker E.II (the lightest of the Eindecker variants - the E.I was around 800 lbs/360 kg empty weight, the E.III around 900 lbs/400 kg). That means lots of tossing around in the Bullet and the E.II in poor, windy weather. It also means that, for example, a day of bad weather in 1915 might ground nimble monoplanes but might allow for some (limited) flying in two-seaters.

Let's consider further. Empty weight on early BE.2s is around 1350 lbs/600 kg (such as the BE.2b), increasing to about 1450 lbs/650 kg on later variants that don't have the skis up front, such as the final version of the BE.2c. So, in short, twice as heavy as early scouts, on average. And there is a similar situation for the Germans, with the Aviatik B.I, for example, having an empty weight of about 1450 lbs/650 kg, even higher on the engined-up Aviatik B.II (around 1500 lbs/680 or so kg). So, the German recon. units, I am guessing, would also have somewhat safer flights maybe in inclement weather, with no harassment from the rare Morane Bullet or even the Bristol Scout in such weather (empty weight on the Bristol is around 750 lbs/340 kg, similar to empty weight on the Fokker E.II).

Selective list: comparing ave. empty weights on mid-war (and later war) scouts

Central
1400 lbs/640 kg - Albatros D.I (and II)
1600 lbs/730 kg - Albatros D.III
1500 lbs/680 kg - Albatros D.V
900 lbs/400 kg - Fokk. Dr.I

Entente
1100 lbs/500 kg - Sopwith Tripe
1100 lbs/500 kg - Spad 7
950 lbs/430 kg - Sopwith Camel
1350 lbs/610 kg - Spad XIII (220 hp)

Two-Seaters (mid-war and late war)

Entente
1800 lbs/820 kg - R.E.8
2400 lbs/1090 kg - Airco DH.4 (with Liberty engine)

Central
2100 lbs/950 kg - DFW C.V
1800 lbs/820 kg - Albatros C.III (used for entire war and well into 1920s, with later up-engined C.III even heavier)

Modern "scouts" (for comparative purposes biggrin )
2000 lbs/910 kg - Cessna 182
1700 lbs/770 kg - Cessna 172
1100 lbs/500 kg - Cessna 150

Moral of story: wooden (flying) furniture is light when compared to crates' of aluminum and steel construction. Take note how the early war scouts, on average, are more than 300 lbs/140 kg lighter (empty weight) than a Cessna 150. Mid and late war scouts get up into the empty weight range of a Cessna 150 and sometimes (as with Albatroses) just shy of the 172, with later-war two seaters weighing close to or a bit more than a Cessna 182. Early war two-seaters, Entente and German, average about half-way between a Cessna 150 and 172.

Cheers all and happy flying in the WoFF series (in smooth and rough weather),
Von S smile2

One more pic. of brooding weather in (Franken)WOFF 4.18, with BB's weather mod. ver. 1.45 and clouds mod. ver. 4.0 loaded (as well as SweetFX)
[Linked Image]

Attached Files 02_418.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 04/16/22 11:56 PM. Reason: Edited post.

#4597631 - 04/21/22 04:46 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Tons (no pun intended) of interesting information, VonS!

I will try and experiment some with your simulation.xml file changes, if I ever get a chance. Is anyone else willing to give VonS's changes a try? For anyone who might be interested, I suggest making a copy of the latest simulation.xml file from the very latest BHaH2 patch, and then making it into a JSGME friendly mod that can be easily switched in and out for the original file.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4597651 - 04/21/22 08:48 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Hi BB, thank you for the kind words. In terms of modified simulation.xml files - as per my post three posts above - those who are flying with my simulation.xml file(s) for WOFF UE/PE, or using either the "FrankenBHAH Enhancement Package" or the hardcore addon (ver. 1.5) mod for the same package - these last two packages being for BH&H2 only - are already flying with the changes iindicated in the relevant post above.

Cheers all and happy flying (stock or tweaked, in the WoFF series),
Von S smile2

#4597659 - 04/21/22 10:58 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Of course! Don't know how I missed that! In any event, my suggestion might come in handy if OBD makes any other changes to the simulation.xml file.

Cheers!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4598132 - 04/27/22 05:17 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

One more update to this long-running thread of technical and flying adventures: the FrankenBHAH Hardcore "Compensatory-For-WoFFue-AI" Addon Ver. 1.16 is now available, together with more detailed info., at the following link. ('Tis an AI-tuner that "tunes" various maneuvers in the simulation.xml file more extensively than is offered in the Hardcore Addon Ver. 1.15.) Illustrative pic. provided below, and further below the illustrative pic. are another few, from various tests of the AI-tuner mod.

Tested extensively, in quick combat mode, were dogfights against novice/veteran/ace AI in a Fokk. E.I, also with the AI flying my FM mod. for the Fokk. E.II, and with me in the Bristol Scout in the case of both Eindecker variants; also tested was novice/veteran/ace AI in the stock Hisso Se5a, and with me in an OAW Fokk. D.VII.

Many thanks also to OrbyxP who provided helpful advice, as well as for comparing notes with me regarding air density settings, forced encounter toggles, and other similar info. in the BH&H2 series. A short, informal report regarding that collaboration may be found also at the link above, and may be of use to the hardcore WoFFer, particularly to those doing DiD campaigns and interested in maximal historical realism while (virtually) flying. A great many thanks of course also to OBD for all of their hard work on the WoFF series.

On that note, it is time that I (finally) hang up my modding hat. There are now plenty of GPU Tuners, AI-tuner mods., FM mods., etc., available in the WoFF universe, for our entertainment in the (un)friendly skies. It has been a pleasure modding over the last few years - but I will in the future tinker less and enjoy more the pleasant landscapes, the flights, and other fine details provided in WoFF.

"You've all done very well!" - attributed to the Young Mr. Grace, from Are You Being Served

Cheers all & happy flying,
Von S smile2

[Linked Image]

Bristol Parasol Conversion Looking for Eindeckers
[Linked Image]

A Long Dogfight with a Hisso Se5a
[Linked Image]

Beware the Fences
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No Comment
[Linked Image]

Attached Files CompensatoryAI_Addon_VonS.jpg01test.jpg02test.jpg03test.jpg04test.jpg05test.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 04/27/22 05:26 AM. Reason: Embedded representative pics.

#4598143 - 04/27/22 09:57 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great stuff VonS, many thanks for your continued contributions to to WOFF community..cheers pal cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4598187 - 04/27/22 04:14 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Nice! Thanks for the graphics, FM, and AI tweaking goodness! yep clapping

Now IS the time to rest on your laurels, VonS!

#4598210 - 04/27/22 06:52 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Many thanks for the kind words Adger and BB. I look forward to flying more without always tweaking. Having said that, I will continue to test other mods. time-permitting, such as your upcoming historical weather mods. 1.5 and 2.1 — looking forward to checking those out in some campaign flying. Also, when necessary, if there are major updates to WoFF and/or changes regarding FPS, smoothness, etc. — I will continue to optimize and maintain the various GPU Tuners.

For those who have seen the latest big post a couple of posts above this one, regarding the latest AI-tuner patch for BH&H2, here’s a simple “table” below that indicates what is modified across the various simulation.xml files in those FrankenBHAH packages.

Info. below is only with regard to the simulation.xml file contained in the relevant packages, not with regard to other files possibly included therein (as well see relevant, included “Read Me” files for more details).

FrankenBHAH Enhancement Ver. 1.1

- tweaks such things as gun stoppage intervals, intervals between turbulence, etc., but leaves most other things at stock values

FrankenBHAH Enhancement Hardcore Addon Ver. 1.15

- tweaks also such things as chance of engine fire, breakdowns, and other relevant entries, resulting in more worrisome flying biggrin , as well as of course including about 25% changes from stock “maneuvers” entries in the relevant section of the simulation.xml file

FrankenkBHAH Enchancement Hardcore Compensatory-For-WoFFue-AI Addon Ver. 1.16

- includes all tweaks present in Ver. 1.15 but overhauls the “maneuvers” section more thoroughly, about 95% different from stock values; there is also an optional, alternative “maneuvers” section included in the “Read Me” file for the Ver. 1.16 Addon (paste that one in manually before loading via JSGME if you prefer that set of maneuvers; that set is approximately 50% different from stock values)

NOTE: keep in mind that AI maneuver procedures are under-the-hood in the WoFF series, so to speak, but manipulation of corresponding values in the simulation.xml file alters statistical probabilities of certain things happening. Why, just yesterday, flying with the Ver. 1.16 Addon, I noticed a fellow, veteran quality I think he was, in a Fokk. E. II, turning off his engine, doing a dive, and then “playing” dead-stick until I came up from behind - whereupon he started his engine again. Might also have been the result of a clogged rotary since he did a couple of inverted flat spins earlier on too, to evade me. Clever fellow and a joy to see.

Cheers all and happy WoFFing,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 05/04/22 05:48 PM. Reason: Added info.

#4598214 - 04/27/22 07:41 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Thank you Von S for your continued work on these mods. It was fun testing out the different scenarios with the AI maneuvers and finally coming up with something that is more than turn fighting.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM