Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4597743 - 04/23/22 07:36 AM manuals and basic help  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

IS there an updated "how to fly/use the game manual" for heaven and hell 2?

I have read the online FAQ but there is so much ambiquity thats rather useless.

engine management seems to be 'Saitek throttle quadrant for everything" to certain planes having on/off/blip switch, to some using red baron on/off/ number pad to control engine power percentage

What kind of fligh stick or throttle do i need? Ive only used a thrustmater 16000 HOTAS setup, and the joy stick died on me in under a year of heavy playing with flying circus and il2.

Took the joystick apart last week, and found that some of the key pad bumpers were put in wrong, and that the plastic ring that the spring forces up against the bottom of the ball on the handle was broken and a piece of it was jamming it up. Also loose wiring that coause the hat switch to change the camera views at random times.

Right now i am just mouse flying Rise of Flight, and trying to see what WOFF and WOTR need for controls.

#4597753 - 04/23/22 08:55 AM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: masterKamera]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
In the Workshops you will find a 'Remap Keys / Controllers' button middle left.

It gives you all the function bindings in the game and you can remap to a different key or joystick button by simply clicking on the function.
You can also filter them by Control Group type.

It is best to fly with a Joystick IMO.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#4597769 - 04/23/22 01:54 PM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

We have never written you need a Saitek Throttle? Not sure what you are referring to there. There is various help for various controllers as examples in the FAQ.

I have never heard the FAQ called useless before, thanks wink.

A good old standard Joystick with twist for rudder works well for many. I have the Ravcore Javelin. For more "realism" you can choose to limit certain rotary engines in function.

Regarding engine management, that depends on what you want.

For inline engines, you can use the normal throttle lever on your joystick (sometimes that needs to be mapped using the WOFFkeys tool as WM mentions above). Or use keys on keyboard from 1 to 0. Key 1 gives 10% ,2 gives 20% etc all the way to 0 for 100%.
For rotary, you can decide to do exactly the same and use the throttle normally - OR - if you want more realism, you can use rotaries on 100% and use the blip switch to control power, where it temporarily cuts all power. So you can run at 100% and then hit the blip repeatedly to effectively get less power.

WOFF user Bletchley wrote a document on how to simulate various different rotary engines that for example had other partial power settings, for example 1/4 or 1/2 power setting and full on. You can optionally decide to simulate this by only using the keyboard. For example, only pressing 5 or 0 for half throttle, 0 for full throttle whatever, combined with using blip.

The FAQ has several good sections on how to get started Section 4) goes over what to do on the first run, setting up graphics, etc, how to create a pilot including training and how to use the manual pilot creation. Other sections go over how to set up various controls, how to use TAC to help you in flight, how to fly various mission types, how to reload the lewis guns and so on.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4597802 - 04/23/22 07:51 PM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: masterKamera]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

I dont like the FAQ, most of the thing is on downloading the game files, and installing them. Thats nicer then most provide but I need a manual that actually explains things, and the manual/FAQ on the home page seems to be labelled/written for UE or PE.. not the newest version..

like the engine controls,, there is no mention of being able to set the engines up how you want. the whole tone, inference, verbage is "this type of engine is controlled this way, this other type of engine using these means..."

#4597804 - 04/23/22 08:05 PM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I understand, but writing a 300 page manual is a little out of the scope of 2 people making 2 sims. There’s so much in WOFF it would take something like that.

The FAQ on the Support page is WOFF BH&H II, and lower down the older one is there for those that have UE?

Ah I think you are talking about the forum stick post in the FAQ forum. Yes that points to the new one Support page and the UE FAQ I'll change that now to make it clearer.

The BH&H II FAQ is on the SUPPORT page on our website.

The Forum link
here
talks about throttle usage.

Last edited by Polovski; 04/23/22 08:11 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4597810 - 04/23/22 10:16 PM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: Polovski]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

That helps slightly, but i still cannot figure out what actual hardware i will need to get in order to have control on my engine.

meaning, do i need to purchase one of thse in order to have a physical lever to control AIR FUEL and THROTTLE itself?

and would i need to get the fancy one on the bottom in order to control a 2 engine plane?

https://www.amazon.com/ Logitech -Pro...;hvtargid=pla-4584345016376590&psc=1

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ch-products/300-133/2665847?utm_adgroup=Essen%20Deinki&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_DK%2BSupplier_Other&utm_term=&utm_content=Essen%20Deinki&utm_id=bi_cmp-384720322_adg-1301822093609990_ad-81363949567673_pla-4584963495352066_dev-c_ext-_prd-2665847&msclkid=89020f3aa9e5104609d26d5ed00db089

I have only played red baron, rise of flight, cliffs of dover blitz, and il2 flying circus and stalingrad.
none of them NEED a user to manually control all of those things so i DID not and i do not know what equipment i need to get.

#4597855 - 04/24/22 11:08 AM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

If you go to workshops, click on the large button "Re Map Keys/Controllers" then it opens the WOFFkeys tool. There you can use the filter top left to view "engine controls" for example. You can read what you need to do to change it.
On the lower right side there are basic joystick assignments.including throttle IF you wish to bind them to a joystick throttle control. There is no demand for a certain controller. The joystick I mentioned (and many others) have a throttle control you can assign.

Mixture has keys assigned to increase decrease, full rich, full lean, etc you can see there. Many keys you can assign to a joystick button too. Click on the control in the left side lists, and then click a joysick button.

I don't understand about needing a manual for which hardware. There is NO special requirement for any hardware - just like Red Baron and Il2 etc.

All optional. A joystick(any decent stick) is all you need. Preferably with twist rudder, and throttle slider /wheel. Rudder pedals etc are all optional.

Currently, there's only a couple of twin engine craft anyway, and you can switch between engines (if required) which Shift+1 Shift+2 etc and deselect Ctrl+1 etc, but you will rarely really need this anyway.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4598135 - 04/27/22 06:01 AM Re: manuals and basic help [Re: Polovski]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski

If you go to workshops, click on the large button "Re Map Keys/Controllers" then it opens the WOFFkeys tool. There you can use the filter top left to view "engine controls" for example. You can read what you need to do to change it.
On the lower right side there are basic joystick assignments.including throttle IF you wish to bind them to a joystick throttle control. There is no demand for a certain controller. The joystick I mentioned (and many others) have a throttle control you can assign.

Mixture has keys assigned to increase decrease, full rich, full lean, etc you can see there. Many keys you can assign to a joystick button too. Click on the control in the left side lists, and then click a joysick button.

I don't understand about needing a manual for which hardware. There is NO special requirement for any hardware - just like Red Baron and Il2 etc.

All optional. A joystick(any decent stick) is all you need. Preferably with twist rudder, and throttle slider /wheel. Rudder pedals etc are all optional.

Currently, there's only a couple of twin engine craft anyway, and you can switch between engines (if required) which Shift+1 Shift+2 etc and deselect Ctrl+1 etc, but you will rarely really need this anyway.

SO if i understand correctly, the
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331331-REG/thrustmaster_2960754_twcs_throttle.html

is enough to give me proper throttle control and give me my rudder pedals in the game?

Should have said it early but i cant use twist function in a joy stick, carpal tunnel issues.

Can the mixture settings be mapped to a lever?

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.