Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4596983 - 04/13/22 08:57 PM Attila Mods...  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
TW games have a great modding community, and having purchased Attila awhile ago I've just got around to playing it, and of course I've noticed the mods that are available and a couple have caught my eye...
I'm certainly going to download these at some stage.

Medieval Kingdoms 1212 is one of the top ones out there.

Also, Medieval Warfare is looking good as well.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4597020 - 04/14/22 12:21 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: Trooper117]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Trooper117

Medieval Kingdoms 1212 is one of the top ones out there.

Also, Medieval Warfare is looking good as well.

What do you think makes them so? What do you like about these mods?

Attila is a great game, really good campaign. I've played a lot of Total War, as many here have, and I'd probably judge my WRE run in Attila as the best campaign run I've done. A couple times over the past few months I've nearly reinstalled Attila, which means it probably isn't far off.

I'm also hoping for a Medieval 3. Do these mods get us part of the way there?

Big conversion mods in Total War are nice, but they often go past the close, and add features and mechanics that I think are worse than the original game. Lots of good stuff sprinkled with tedium and overthinking.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Have a good run, if this is your first go at Attila I think you'll like the campaign.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4597028 - 04/14/22 01:19 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: Trooper117]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
What do you think makes them so? What do you like about these mods?

I've not played Medieval II because I've been waiting for a Medieval III to be released at some stage... I guess I'd like the improved graphics that a new version would bring.
I've always liked the Roman, Viking and Medieval periods of history, and seeing the Medieval period available in these mods has made me realise that I could be playing Medieval 3 (so to speak) with the mods.

I've also come across the 'Shield Wall' mod for Thrones of Britannia that is supposed to improve the look and game play for that game so I think I may be busy for some time.
My problem with the Total War series is a problem of my own making though as just as I'm getting into one of their games, another game pops up and I'm drawn away to play that, but then when I come back to the series I have to relearn the game again to some extent... yes, I know, I need to sort myself out, lol!

#4597030 - 04/14/22 01:39 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: Trooper117]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did a number of runs in Attila and a couple in Age of Charlemagne as well. Franks, Saxons, Sassanids, Ostrogoths, WRE, Mercia, Cordoba.

Ostrogoths were a lot of fun too. They are a horde. I decided to head for Iberia and pillaged and battled my way circuitously through Gaul from Pannonia, all the while chased by Roman legions until I arrived in Spain and planted my flag. Attila's the only one I've played where I liked playing as a horde, even if the horde stuff was only for 30 or 50 turns while I headed for my new homeland.

Medieval is my favorite era for Total war, just ahead of gunpowder like around Nappy and Fall of the Samurai. Medieval is the perfect blend of steel and ranged gunpowder. Armor, real cavalry. Sweet spot. Hoping for Med 3!

#4597034 - 04/14/22 02:28 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: Trooper117]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It's only the British Isles but I really enjoyed playing "Thrones of Britannia". It's about as close as we will get to a Medieval III. Considering the recent corporate strategies of CA, I'm somehow doubtful we will see another full-fledged historical TW title.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4597046 - 04/14/22 03:06 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: Trooper117]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, might be worth a go at some point, thanks for the recommendation once more.

I think my next title will be Three Kingdoms, which is the only main title I've not played, if I discount the Saga type releases.

When I was playing Attila I of course had a thread about it. Here it is in case it might prove useful

Attila and Age of Charlemagne and Last Roman too

I forgot about Last Roman.

#4597057 - 04/14/22 04:22 PM Re: Attila Mods... [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

I forgot about Last Roman.

This is a very good DLC and it covered a period of history that really only history geeks are familiar with. Belisarius was hugely instrumental in the history of the Byzantine Empire.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.