#4597673 - 04/22/22 11:06 AM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wigean

In the specs though they say it is PC compatibel.

Yes, that's the wheel I have and it works with PC. Finally got my new rig in place last night and I'll give my thoughts a little later on it. The short version is I really like it smile

There are a a lot of choices and I won't push you toward one over the other, but if you opt for the 248 I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4597674 - 04/22/22 12:00 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by DBond

In the specs though they say it is PC compatibel.

Yes, that's the wheel I have and it works with PC. Finally got my new rig in place last night and I'll give my thoughts a little later on it. The short version is I really like it smile

There are a a lot of choices and I won't push you toward one over the other, but if you opt for the 248 I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks DBond.
As a total novice on PC racing I take any good advice of course. smile
What I see is a jungle of wheels so your advice is valuable.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4597676 - 04/22/22 12:30 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It sure is a jungle of wheels! The 248 is what I am calling high low end. For the money I think it's a good value, the T3PM pedals are excellent. It's a hybrid gear and belt FFB system, which brings down the price. But I finally turned laps for realz last night and I had a great time. Other wheels have better force feedback, but not having used them I can't know what I am missing!

So once again the porch pirates failed to inflict, and there was the seat when I pulled in to the driveway. Heavy box at 65 pounds.

Had to carry the pieces upstairs one by one and set to building it. Of course I read everything I could about it ahead of time, and I saw comments like "took 20 minutes" to put it together. "Comes mostly assembled, ready to use right out of the box"

Either those people were high, had an army of workers, or were actually talking about one of Open Wheelers other products. I suspect the latter. It took me nearly 2.5 hours to get everything done. But man, was it worth it.

The rig is fantastic. It fits in my space perfectly (has about a 60-inch long footprint) is great quality, very rigid and adjustable. The seat reclines, the wheel stand is adjustable for height and slides closer or farther away, the pedals do too. The Gen 3 comes with hardware to mount any wheel, and even comes with a set of wrenches. I'm six foot one and 200 pounds, and it's very comfortable. I had been concerned about the inclined pedal platform, but since they all do this, I reasoned it must be best right? Well it is, and the pedals sit at just the right angle.

Now all my gear is bolted down, which feels amazing, and the pedals don't rock or slide around. Feels like I'm in a racing car. I bought the optional five-inch seat risers. Good thing too, as without these you're basically on the floor, slung out low like a F1 car. That would work if my monitor were also set really low. But it's up on a desk and this extra height is needed. A couple more inches would be good too, as I'm still looking up a little at the monitor.

I settled on a GT-like seating position, with the wheel more near the gut than higher up at eye level like open wheel. So my arms are bent and in tight, not extended straight out. Very comfortable for me, but this lower wheel position means the display on the 248 is not close to my line of sight and as a result not really useful when driving.

Having had the chance to knock a few laps around some of the tracks in AC, ACC and F1 2021 I don't think I could be more pleased with how it turned out. The 248 is the business, feels great and I love the pedals. The racing seat tops it off and gives me an awesome setup.

#4597694 - 04/22/22 04:14 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Why?

Because DBond said so.....

driving

cheers :

biggrin
[Linked Image]

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4597696 - 04/22/22 04:16 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Nice!!!
It makes my TMX Pro look ancient!

#4597697 - 04/22/22 04:22 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: Trooper117]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Why?

What?! How'd you get it so fast? You're not foolin' around! Let us know how you like it and if there's anything I can do to help. Check the firmware, latest is 2.00 I think . Flashing that was the first thing I did.

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Nice!!!

Thanks, and age is just a number smile

#4597711 - 04/22/22 07:00 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Why?

What?! How'd you get it so fast? You're not foolin' around! Let us know how you like it and if there's anything I can do to help. Check the firmware, latest is 2.00 I think . Flashing that was the first thing I did.

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Nice!!!

Thanks, and age is just a number smile

I just checked around a little. Found they had it in a warehouse half a mile away.
Also checked the T-300 that was also mentioned, but that would be 2-3 weeks of wait.
If it is good enough for you guys it is definately good for me . smile
So an easy decision.
Now i must find the best place for it by the PC.
I have a PS4 in my living room. I guess that would be an option too. My brother is crazy about cars and he will probably go bananas if he sees this. He doesn`t know a thing about computers, but give him a wheel and some pedals he will be totally sold.

I also downloaded Teamspeak last night. First time since playing Flaming Cliffs ages ago. That must have been in the Frugal era. Also did some ARMA too in those times. Where did JAMF go btw? Very nice guy and had some fun missions with him.
I set up TS and stumbeled upon Nephilim. He was very nice and helpful. Strange to talk to people in that way again. smile

Thanks for offering help.
I will probably get back to that. biggrin

#4597713 - 04/22/22 07:30 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haven't seen JAMF in a long time. He popped in here at SimHQ occasionally, but if he's been here recently I have not seen him. Yeah, he was probably the most helpful Frugalite in terms of information. No matter the topic, JAMF would pop up with the goods.

Good luck with your logistical solution. For me the only thing that made sense was a racing seat after finding the wheel clamp didn't fit the desk I wanted to use.

For what it's worth, I bought the Open Wheeler Gen 3. There were a number of choices in this range and lower, and a few that are more highly regarded. But the best reputation ones were like a box frame setup and I wanted something where the pedal-end of the rig could slip under the desk to bring me closer to the monitor, and reduce the floor space it took up in the room. I considered wheel stands, but in the end going for one with a pedal mount solution was a good decision.

#4597720 - 04/22/22 09:42 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Installed and tried.

FUN. smile

One problem though, the pedals are so hard that when I brake I also use force in the wheel so it moves. I don`t know if I dare to tighten the screw too much.
Is there a way to loosen the pedals?

Initially I use the Ferrari wheel set up as the T248 isn`t available. I`ll see if I can down load T248 settings somewhere.

#4597735 - 04/23/22 01:56 AM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: Wigean]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Installed and tried.

FUN. smile

One problem though, the pedals are so hard that when I brake I also use force in the wheel so it moves. I don`t know if I dare to tighten the screw too much.
Is there a way to loosen the pedals?

Initially I use the Ferrari wheel set up as the T248 isn`t available. I`ll see if I can down load T248 settings somewhere.

You can adjust the brake tension. There are 4 settings. I found the default too stiff.

#4597756 - 04/23/22 10:13 AM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thank you Wango Tango.

I will try that. smile

#4597765 - 04/23/22 12:04 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that brake pedal is stiff. It's perfect when bolted down, but left loose the pedals are unstable due to the force required. Hopefully you can drop the resistance a notch or two. Or maybe you can support the leading edge, propping them up at an incline.

#4597770 - 04/23/22 02:08 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Yes, that brake pedal is stiff. It's perfect when bolted down, but left loose the pedals are unstable due to the force required. Hopefully you can drop the resistance a notch or two. Or maybe you can support the leading edge, propping them up at an incline.

I have dropped the resistance to max now. Still stiff really.
The leading edge is against a wall, so that`s perfect.
I believe the biggest problem now is the chair I am using.
It has wheels so the problem is the balance of forces. The brakes are so stiff that the forces I use work opposite to my chair, so the result is that I use more force holding the wheel. Which again puts forces to the bracket that holds the wheel.
Yeah, my english is not optimal, but I guess you understand. biggrin

So the quesrion #1 is: Is it possible to get even softer springs? Third party ?
Question #3 ; May be the clutch pedal can be used as a braking pedal? The spring seems marginally softer. Or may be switching the spring from the clutch<+
Qustion #3 : A rather radical sollution. Is it possible to us a wheel switch as brake? Not that I would like it, but it could be part of the discussion.

#4597772 - 04/23/22 02:29 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The clutch pedal can be used for sure. Just map that instead as the brake axis. But then you'd have no clutch of course and in the 488 at least, I need the clutch just to get moving. But maybe the brake could do that duty as you probably won't need it much. Or assign it to a button?

I wouldn't try a switch unless it's an axis. If it's on/off that would suck.

#4597776 - 04/23/22 04:01 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Great setup updates all around!

Not pulled the trigger yet, but I did see this on eBay, thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2554868440...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4597777 - 04/23/22 04:29 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Argon, that's the base I was going to get but Fanatec was sold out. The base is the key, because you can then swap to any number of wheels, or 'rims'.

Not having used Fanatec all I can say is it is very popular, with a great rep. Whether that's a good price I can't say, but is less than I was going to pay for a similar setup new.

I had some concerns about reliability, particularly connectivity, but every product has it's issues. If it were me I'd want one with a warranty.

#4597780 - 04/23/22 04:56 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

It just sold, so I guess it was a good buy! wink Thanks for the insights though - this gives me more to consider. smile I was leaning more towards the Thrustmaster TS-PC base with Ferrari wheel.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Corsair HX1200 PSU
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
#4597781 - 04/23/22 05:00 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: ArgonV]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted by ArgonV
Great setup updates all around!

Not pulled the trigger yet, but I did see this on eBay, thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2554868440...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That is a very nice setup. That BMW GT2 wheel is wonderful!

Had the chance to try it out many years ago. Very solid, build like a tank!

While I had mixed experiences with several Fanatec products over the years, one wheel base is still going strong after 10 years though I don´t use it anymore because of compatibility issues with my actual console.

[Linked Image]

The actual CSL Elite wheel base is very similar in construction. So it should be high quality as well.

Time is the only luxury.
#4597782 - 04/23/22 05:02 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

Well blast! Now I’m kicking myself for not clicking Buy Now!

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Corsair HX1200 PSU
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
#4597787 - 04/23/22 06:06 PM Re: Racing Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was having such great time with all the sim racing gear I only just bought that I sold it all and this is my new rig. Just a modest one for banging about the track.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/...share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.