Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4596764 - 04/12/22 03:45 AM Racing Wheels  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I started a new thread, as I didn't want to muck up Red's gear thread.

I'm on the hunt for a new wheel. The red Momos I have are twenty years old, and although I've been doing fine with a controller lately, I want to step up my game.

The market for quality wheels is insane, but I'm here for it. I need to learn more, and make a good choice because it's easy to drop a grand or more on the best stuff. At least for Fanatec, which is where my eyes are right now. Thrustmaster, Logitech and a few more have fine options too. I'm not ruling those out. Any of these would be a step up for me at the mo.

I've been looking at Fanatec and I have to rule out the top stuff. I'm not going to drop 1500+ on this. When I first started looking I saw the wheel prices and thought that's pricey, but I bet it's worth it. Fanatec is high quality kit. But then I realized that's just the tip. That $600 wheel is just a wheel right? You still need to purchase the base with the drive mechanism. And pedals, And a shifter maybe. Desk clamps unless you have a stand. And it seems, depending on the wheel -- or 'rim' as it's called -- you might need an additional hub? I don't need to step up quite that much haha.

So there's always the Logitech G29-strata. Good wheel, much lower pricing, but still in the $300 range, in US dollars. Thrustmaster has a number of wheels too in this range, and these come with pedals. A shifter is usually optional and additional, but I'm good with paddles, it's mostly F1 and GT/ Super/ Hyper cars I'm driving these days and no need for a stick. But if I were to get back in to GPL....

Or rally.

So how do you get in to the Fanatec game without dropping a mortgage payment? On a different forum we've been talking sim racing and one of the guys there recently bought the McLaren GT3 wheel. This 'rim' is $200. And if I understand needs just a base, no hub, and that's another $350. A set of pedals is another $80 for the two-pedal starter model. Others are $500. I have no stand, well actually I do but my son uses it. Kids! So throw in some desk clamps (is desk mount even possible? I think it is). They even cheekily offer a a turbo kit or somesuch which brings the force feedback to max. Don't be throttlin' my feedback.

So if you add that all up, and skip the turbo racket, that's in the $700 range with no clutch pedal or stick.

And then once I used it I'd be looking at racing seats and such. You know this happens.

[Linked Image]

That's a great setup for F1. It has dual paddles. One set for gears and the other for whatever. I could see using it for launch control in the F1 cars. Or maybe there's a better idea. This might be the least expensive Fanatec wheel? Not sure, but it looks the business, has a great layout for the racing I do and the leap in quality and car control would be a massive boost for me. That's some serious cash to splash though.

Anyone here using a Fanatec wheel? Or this one?

The rim/hub/base arrangement means I could change wheels down the line without rebuying the other stuff. Just a quick release and the wheel pops off and slap another in its place. But I have to be careful because there are different ones, and not every thing is interchangable. I'm looking for a quality wheel for PC I can mount to a desk for a start.. I also want pedals that have the pedal travel arc within the base dimensions, so they can be pushed up against a wall and still have full travel, if you know what I mean.

Attached Files GT3Wheel.jpg

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4596765 - 04/12/22 04:23 AM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The hub I mentioned is needed if you use a direct drive base, which puts out more torque and the hub is needed evidently. I won't be using a direct drive, which are top dollar.

This wheel is a replica of the one in the 650S, not the newer 720, which is probably more ergonomic, a better switch layout. As a replica it's full sized at 300mm wide. Most PC wheels are 270mm it seems. Not sure if that could make much difference, it's only an inch and a quarter, but obviously comfort is paramount for long racing sessions. I wish I could try it first.

#4596771 - 04/12/22 07:07 AM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
xjussix Offline
xjussix  Offline

Sweden
I've been out of the game for a long time but to me it seems there's the "regular" brands like TM and Logictech and then there's an insane gap. Fanatec seems to be the only one that has somewhat "reasonably" priced high-quality products in their product range unlike Simucube, Ascher and the like. No doubt there's a huge difference in quality between Logitech and Fanatec that wouldn't be lost on a racer like you. Good luck, I hope you find a good solution!

#4596781 - 04/12/22 10:33 AM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Hi DBond, hey you can "mock" up our thread anytime. Really, I don´t put up threads to claim my own which would be ridiculous, I do this because for one, this Is SimHQ so were are talking simming here right, or at least for the most part we should be, and two, to Informe anyone Interested on the subject/sim and also get traffic flow for the site. Personally I think more people should pitch In no matter who´s started the tread, as long as you contribute to the thread and don´t turn It Into a TV gossip show It´s all good health for SimHQ and socially for those who are here. Oh and I do welcome your or anybody´s thread In case It´s not clear already!

Back to wheels LOL!

Right now I am not In a position for shopping, but as I did when I first wanted a PC but could not afford it, I spend a year looking through magazines. If that doesn´t give you a hint, that was way back In the late 90´s. Now we have Internet and well a bunch of people opinions are out for grabs. So I am basically doing research for when the day comes, and for anyone here.

From what I am seeing quality/price ratio for a semi-full (no stick) set-up would be Fanatec´s GT DD Pro, and Thrustmasters T-GT 2. This would be In the higher end of a standard race wheel combo budget so to say. Sure those guys with 10K rigs will be laughing now but hey In this case we be like Sunday drivers haha!

Both of these kits can be purchased with just a base and work or build your way around that, but to be clear we are talking about a 800 €/$ bracket here no matter which way you go. The Fanatec Is direct driven (DD), and the TM Is a new (for Thrustmaster) hybrid mix of DD. As a base only Fanatec also has the CSL Elite wheel base aside from the newer CSL DD wheel base. Another thing to consider Is the torque (Nm) which will translate to the fidelity that you will be receiving of the force feedback (FFB) from the sim.

Going lower In the price range I would put the Thrustmaster (TM) TS-PC, and T300RS. I wont mention Logitech because as I see it, they really never did hit a higher quality market although they claim to In the way that Thrustmaster has at reasonable prices. I just think TM Is above the Logitech offerings in general.

The above would be the more common "known" offerings, then we have the whole plethora of companies that offer kit´s and/or individual parts. I haven´t really looked Into these but here Is a few "reasonable" priced companies.

Moza:
MOZA Racing Home site

Cammus:
Cammus Home site

I am sure there´s a lot more out there.

As to what to spend, well that´s a Individual decision but as I see it, If one spends a lot of his/her spare time with a hobby and of course enjoys there time with It, then It´s well worth It IMHO.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4596786 - 04/12/22 10:56 AM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That thread is like a repository of helpful information and for folks seeking it I thought it would be better not mucked up with my random musings.

Knowing not enough at this point it seems the drive base to get is the CSL DD or Elite. The GTR 3 works with all these bases, so many options that it's confusing which one to go for.

PODIUM Wheel Base DD1 (QR1 Wheel-Side required*)
PODIUM Wheel Base DD2 (QR1 Wheel-Side required*)
PODIUM Wheel Base DD1 PS4™ (QR1 Wheel-Side required*)
ClubSport Wheel Base V2
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
CSL Elite Wheel Base
CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1
CSL Elite Wheel Base + - officially licensed for PS4™
CSL DD Wheel Base
Gran Turismo DD Pro Wheel Base

I mean come on right? Elite Wheel Base. And Elite Wheel Base 1.1? Which one do I want! The Podium options are the direct drive models. The rim I choose is very important, but the base is probably more so in the long run. I also think I'd be wise to drop more coin up front and get a three-pedal setup for a clutch. Don't need it now, but that could prove a regret down the line when I'd wish I had gone that route.

Jussi mentioned two brands I was unaware of, Simucube and Ascher.

I posted a message on that other forum to the dude who recently bought this wheel to get more insight in to his setup. So yeah, I'm focused on Fanatec, aiming at the entry level point of the high end market. I'm ready to blow anything south of a grand on this. I know it would be worth it to me considering how much time I spend with driving and racing games.

#4596793 - 04/12/22 11:28 AM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Originally Posted by DBond
That thread is like a repository of helpful information and for folks seeking it I thought it would be better not mucked up with my random musings.

Knowing not enough at this point it seems the drive base to get is the CSL DD or Elite. The GTR 3 works with all these bases, so many options that it's confusing which one to go for.

Well you got a point there with regards to the thread, but you get what I mean. If I could right now, I would go the Fanatec route too. It´s also well established (Integrated) In todays top race sims and has a diverse ecosystem to go along with It, so yes It ticks all the boxes In my book too.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4596798 - 04/12/22 12:54 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I still have not decided the McLaren wheel is the one I'll go with. Matter of fact, I still haven't seen every Fanatec wheel. Wheel shape is one thing to consider. The McLaren wheel is a GT style wheel that would work great in those cars, or open wheel. I've never done much rally, but that's one class where this shape would feel wrong I imagine. And depending on your style, could actually make you slower, since there's no hoop to slide your hands around for max rotation. That's not an issue for me in what I run, although I could give rally a go at some stage.

But for those who could afford it, this is the beauty of the Fanatec system right? With a quick release modular approach, you could just swap to your rally rim and off you go.

I found this video review. Props to this dude, who has made a sparkling video, excellent commentary and camera work. I'm impressed.

I do want to make sure I see all of my options, but this wheel ticks every box for me. And with what I saw and heard in that video I think it's a perfect choice.

But I still don't know if these can be desk-mounted, and if they can is a specific base required? Is desk clamp hardware an additional option and is it an option on all bases?

Has anyone here moved to a direct drive wheel?

#4596800 - 04/12/22 01:08 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I spent close to $300 USD for my current Logitech wheel. That's plenty "high end" for me. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4596806 - 04/12/22 01:23 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That is still an open option for me, I haven't ruled out one of the better Thrustmaster or Logitech type wheels. Which one do you have Panzer?

But yeah my focus is on this entry-level Fanatec option. I really like the modular nature. I may not need another wheel ever, but the fact I can have other options that are plug and play with the motor base and pedals would give me flexibilty to race different wheels in different class cars, as well as future-proof it if Fanatec release a wheel in the years ahead that I must have. If the pockets are deep enough that is. The $300 level wheels are certainly an option and would be on par with the red Momo I used for all those years. But they don't get along with Win10 and it's time for me to bring my racing game in to the 21st century. I've been using a controller and any of these options is going to be a step up.

Panzer's right that the sort of wheel he has is more than enough. It's gaming after all right? But I dropped about $1500 on my flight controls, and I'm not opposed to doing the same for my racing. Just depends on what a driver wants. I mean, watch that video and it feels like a new level. Needed? No way. Do I want that? Hell, yes smile

But I need to work out the right base and optional choices first.

#4596809 - 04/12/22 02:01 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
With regards to base mounting. Be careful because these bases can have some serious output (FFB), I mean they can easily un-clamp your base from your desk. Even a simple stand like the GT Omega Apex wheel stand (see gear thread) could be a good option.

My thoughts too, as I also have the TM Warthog HOTAS, so why not do the same with my sim racing set-up.

You can try this on your Momo...
Xbox 360CE:
Xbox 360CE Home site

#4596811 - 04/12/22 02:34 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Red.

Spent some time looking at all the Fanatec options, and I want one. But they're mostly sold out of everything and I guess are only sold direct? I went through their configurator and they don't have the base I think I should buy. As a result I need to change tack in to other brands. So if I can't make up my mind then maybe I'll try that thing Red posted and see if the old Momos can come back to life!

The PC wheel market has a lot of options.

#4596812 - 04/12/22 02:36 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
If you get a wheel stand, you can always go the DIY route for a seat. I used to work as a welder In a bus manufacturing company so I made up a seat base out of 20x20 steel square and bolted a old bus seat on It. Also did some DIY on my flight stick with some PVC pluming tube.

You can roast my rig now biggrin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My seat even has a ashtray on the back for those smoky fans hahaha.

Just trying to give some Ideas here...

#4596813 - 04/12/22 02:38 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Which one do you have Panzer?

I have the G29 and I actually paid $350 for it from Newegg back in 2016. This wheel has been magnificent and has served me very well.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4596815 - 04/12/22 02:49 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Panzer. That one's on my list now. Well, actually it was the 923.

Nice setup Red. Which wheel is that? That shot shows why I've been using a controller, as I don't want the wheel sitting there when I'm not racing. If I'm playing another type of game or whatever I want to set it aside. So now I'm clamping and unclamping, the rudder pedals and driving pedals have to be swapped and all the cables are getting fouled up and stuff haha. Only so many USB ports. But I know I'll drive better with a wheel. I do fine with the controller, but I lack fine throttle and brake control, and have to use some crutches to make up for it.

Panzer how is your G29 mounted?

I also spent some time on Fanatec's forum and there are always issues with any product, but I saw enough threads about things like connectivity issues, and random disconnects that it gave me more to think about. For that sort of money I expect flawless performance for years to come. This is hard smile

Just running through my options, which are vast aren't they? And I thought Fanatec was high end...

https://www.precisionsimengineering.com/

Last edited by DBond; 04/12/22 04:07 PM.

#4596817 - 04/12/22 02:58 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
I think he made this review just for you biggrin

#4596818 - 04/12/22 03:07 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
My wheel Is a Sunday driver Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT), which also gave me some headaches to get running on W10. All good now and running. With regards to Issues, well unfortunately everything PC related can give you some Issues specially depending on what you have Installed. I have a USB hub I can turn on and off what ever I have plugged In, very useful and In my case I can also use outboard soundcards/gear without having to re-configure my PC audio settings every time I want to switch from Internal to external sound card and/or controllers. I also don´t get my sim or apps confused by what´s plugged In.

#4596823 - 04/12/22 03:50 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great video, and that's a lot of information. I've reigned in my ambition. Fanatec stuff is amazing, and all of the high end stuff is really. Those Precision Engineering products are sick. I also looked at the Ascher wheels that Jussi mentioned and those are amazing as well.

Despite the thread title I've dropped in to the mid-range. I ordered the Thrustmaster T248. It was priced at $299 on Amazon which is 100 off the MSRP, so felt like a good deal. And it was in stock, a major plus haha. I actually went for a bundle that included a headset, which I'll surprise my son with as his headset keeps losing the ear cup.

Once I had to course correct off of Fanatec-level wheels, I was looking in the $400 range. I looked at the Logitech G923 Trueforce, the Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition and the T248.

These wheels move away from the direct drive force feedback, and that's a big part of what you give up in this range. But I know that even so it will be the best FFB I've experienced considering what I've used so far. In the faceoff between those three options the T248 was the winner for four main reasons.

One, the price I spotted it at was hard to beat. Pricing is out of control these days, and over the past few days while I did my search I was steeled for spending a grand. So to find an agreeable option for $300 was good.

Two, the FFB is hybrid belt and gear, which gave it the edge for me over the G923. By making the move to a new wheel I am hoping to improve my driving, bring laptimes down through proper gear. I expect force feedback will be a big part of that. I think if I can go X amount of fast without any feel from the car and track, that having those indicators can only make me better. Belt driven is generally regarded as better than gear it seems, but worse than direct. So this was a slight edge in my decision, even if it's only a hybrid system.

Three, the paddles are magnetic. All of the reading I did showed this is the way to go if possible.

And fourth, the pedals that are included are said to be good, and improved over other recent offerings. These are also magnetic and that seems to be a good thing. And I get a clutch pedal.

I want one of those Fanatec setups, that is great gear. I watch some of the esports Formula 1 and a lot of those guys are using it. In the end I think it's just too ambitious for me, even if I could afford it. I kind of felt out of place considering it, like I do in an exclusive wine bar. Where's the beer menu, ya know? Maybe down the line, but for now, as long as it proves reliable, the T248 should suit me fine. I do think I'll need to get a stand, as the pedals will rock without being mounted. They say the brake pedal is pretty high resistance. But I sort of have $700 left to play with smile

Attached Files T248.jpg

#4596826 - 04/12/22 04:02 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I just noticed in Red's gear and tuts threads that Wango Tango bought the T248 as well, and for some of the same reasons. If you see this mate let me know what you think of it now that you've used it for a while. Which sims are you running with it? You drive rally right?

#4596828 - 04/12/22 04:09 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Panzer how is your G29 mounted?

/

I clamp it onto my keyboard drawer which means I then place the keyboard onto the main part of the desk in front of my monitor. Yeah, it's definitely not a fancy setup like what Red has but it works. smile

#4596829 - 04/12/22 04:17 PM Re: High-End Wheels [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks PM.

Looking forward to seeing if this makes me better or worse smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.