Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4596996 - 04/14/22 01:55 AM Re: Moving WOFF to different drive. [Re: catch]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

You know sometimes in life things don't go as smoothly as one envisages. Yes, I jumped in gung ho with a foolproof plan until said plan was put into action. You absolutely nailed it snowbear ! I should've waited for your response before proceeding. Even The Beatles said I should have known better.

So here's the thing. I installed BH&H2 on my HDD F drive, leaving it on my SSD C drive, so I could compare performance between the two. As there seemed to be no real discernable difference in performance, my foolproof plan was to uninstall from C as I wanted to clear up some space. I should have known there may be problems because all my settings were saved on the F install. Obviously there is then some connection between the two drives which I brushed off in my haste to proceed.

So when I toolboxed the uninstall on C it also wiped the F install. Not in my plan. Hmm so after cleaning up folders in both drives and the registry and stuff I reinstalled WOFF on my F drive. Then it wanted my order# so after a frantic search I found it, entered it and all was ok. Then updated it to 1.24. So far so good (ish). But of course all my stick, pedals and other settings were wiped. So I have a virgin install of BH&H2 as clean and shiny as when Pol and Winders released it.

The upside is I have more space on my OS C drive as planned. The downside is I have to redo all my settings on my F install. No matter, it gives me something to do and I've learned something, like maybe being less impatient.

#4596998 - 04/14/22 02:04 AM Re: Moving WOFF to different drive. [Re: catch]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Well, although it is unfortunate that you wound up losing settings etc, I suppose it could be worse. I am glad to hear you managed with no worse than that.

As you referenced, I believe the 'connection' between those two installs was this stupid registry thing we keep bustling about wink

And, after all was said and done, you did get the space you were aiming to get.

I do hope it goes smoothly once you get all your settings dialed in.

Best of luck with it smile

#4597009 - 04/14/22 08:25 AM Re: Moving WOFF to different drive. [Re: catch]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by catch

So when I toolboxed the uninstall on C it also wiped the F install. Not in my plan. Hmm so after cleaning up folders in both drives and the registry and stuff I reinstalled WOFF on my F drive. Then it wanted my order# so after a frantic search I found it, entered it and all was ok. Then updated it to 1.24. So far so good (ish). But of course all my stick, pedals and other settings were wiped. So I have a virgin install of BH&H2 as clean and shiny as when Pol and Winders released it.

The upside is I have more space on my OS C drive as planned. The downside is I have to redo all my settings on my F install. No matter, it gives me something to do and I've learned something, like maybe being less impatient.

Been there done that Catch banghead biggrin What I’ve also noticed in the past is..if you don’t “nuke” the installation properly and reinstall on a different drive then any patches will only look for the original installation drive (Registry)..Best of luck going forwards with your bindings etc mate.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4597118 - 04/15/22 02:41 AM Re: Moving WOFF to different drive. [Re: catch]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Thanks Adger. I always make sure updates are directed to the correct path on my F drive install. And I've had plenty of practice lately. I turn away for an instant, and up pops another one !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.