Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4596059 - 04/04/22 10:40 AM Let's talk Elden Ring  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So I have close to 11 hours in the game and I'd like to share my initial experiences.

This game has an incredible amount of lore and world-building and the aesthetic is just gorgeous.

The combat has been both fun AND frustrating. I've made the rookie mistake of misunderstanding how the playable game world works. I didn't realize just how open ended it is with regards to exploration. I have now stumbled upon several "bosses" and other enemies who were much stronger than me and of course I died. There is absolutely no hand-holding here with warnings on which parts of the map should be off-limits if you are still a relatively low level character.

It's also quite apparent that the combat is optimized for a game controller/pad and NOT a keyboard and mouse. Sorry but I'm not switching so I will learn how to manage with a keyboard and mouse.

I also checked out the Steam forums for this game and found post after post from people complaining about just how difficult the combat is so I'm glad I'm not the only one. biggrin

Anyway, is anyone else here playing the game?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/04/22 11:05 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4596083 - 04/04/22 02:18 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes me... I'm using the keyboard and its bloody hard work, lol!
Loving the game though... I'm concentrating on exploring the map and have most of that done now as I've found and retrieved most of the map fragments.
I'm at level 18 now but still can't beat a boss yet.

#4596084 - 04/04/22 02:23 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: Trooper117]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Trooper117

I'm at level 18 now but still can't beat a boss yet.

I'm at level 20 and I still often lose against the guys on horseback. I guess my reflexes aren't the same as they were when I was in my 20's. LOL

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4596114 - 04/04/22 07:34 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
You guys are much more patient than me. I love open world games of many flavors (Red Dead, Assassins Creed, Horizon, No Man's Sky, Far Cry, Fallout) so thought I would give Elden Ring a try even though I hadn't bought any of the other Souls titles.

Controls (gamepad bias) annoyed the hell out of this keyboard and mouse person and made the very difficult combat even more so. Combat didn't seem hard because enemies were smart, even the low level baddies just had massive amount of hitpoints and instakill weapons or moves.

GFX didn't grab me - unrelentingly dark and gloomy (it's Souls you say) - with poorly animated landcape especially ie treez jerking in the breeze.

Gave it 7 hours, dying every ten or twenty minutes or so, eventually gave up. Uninstalled and refunded.

Totally understand how some people would love it, just not for this little black duck.

PS I also gave up on Witcher 3 and Skyrim (more than once because everyone loved them so much I figured I must be missing something). Guess trolls and wizards aren't my thing.

[Linked Image]
#4596115 - 04/04/22 07:40 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Playing since release and taking my time with my first character.
Around 160 hours in now and I´m just reaching the outskirts of the royal capital.

There is so much stuff to explore and with so many different quests for for a bunch of NPC´s it is really hard to focus sometimes.
But the journey has been wonderful so far. Often difficult, but then there is always a way to outsmart the harder enemies or bringing a `better` AI companion to the fight next time. ;-)

The game is definitely more manageable for us older guys if you focus on magic, but it is just so satisfying to overcome a boss with a sword in your virtual hand.

Time is the only luxury.
#4596120 - 04/04/22 08:09 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, if old dudes like Frank like it....

I haven't bit yet, but the game intrigues me. Same with Souls, and even Bloodborne. Keep the talk here going, give us some insight in to how it plays.

So there you was....

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4596128 - 04/04/22 09:11 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Having played some of the other Fromsoft games before I was prepared for the rather difficult combat mechanics.
The first real story boss (Margit) came as a surprise though. Compared to the other Souls games, this one is a real challenge for a player new to the genre.

Especially considering the fact you can basically just get to him coming out of the short tutorial totally unprepared thinking that must be the right way and get absolutely destroyed as a consequence.

Time is the only luxury.
#4596148 - 04/05/22 07:36 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Are you using your own Horsie when fighting the mounted opponents?

#4596155 - 04/05/22 09:53 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Though I really recommend a blind first playthrough, the start of the journey through such a massive game can be extremely rough without any hints.

If you need a little direction just take a look at the first 3-4 episodes of this Elden Ring Walkthrough .
You won´t get any major spoilers but a nearly perfect start into the game, which will make the combat so much more enjoyable.

Time is the only luxury.
#4596159 - 04/05/22 10:52 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: Lieste]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Lieste
Are you using your own Horsie when fighting the mounted opponents?

Yes I'm using the "spectral steed" that you can summon.

#4596160 - 04/05/22 10:54 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: HeinKill]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by HeinKill
You guys are much more patient than me. I love open world games of many flavors (Red Dead, Assassins Creed, Horizon, No Man's Sky, Far Cry, Fallout) so thought I would give Elden Ring a try even though I hadn't bought any of the other Souls titles.

Controls (gamepad bias) annoyed the hell out of this keyboard and mouse person and made the very difficult combat even more so. Combat didn't seem hard because enemies were smart, even the low level baddies just had massive amount of hitpoints and instakill weapons or moves.

GFX didn't grab me - unrelentingly dark and gloomy (it's Souls you say) - with poorly animated landcape especially ie treez jerking in the breeze.

Gave it 7 hours, dying every ten or twenty minutes or so, eventually gave up. Uninstalled and refunded.

Totally understand how some people would love it, just not for this little black duck.

PS I also gave up on Witcher 3 and Skyrim (more than once because everyone loved them so much I figured I must be missing something). Guess trolls and wizards aren't my thing.

Fair enough. You definitely at least gave this game a fair shot and it just simply ended up not being your cup of tea. The bottom line with this game seems to be that if dying a lot bothers someone then they need to pass on this title. biggrin

#4596197 - 04/05/22 07:14 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
The bottom line with this game seems to be that if dying a lot bothers someone then they need to pass on this title.

lol!... I don't think he would like Escape From Tarkov either...

#4596210 - 04/05/22 10:34 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: DBond]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
Originally Posted by DBond
Well, if old dudes like Frank like it....

I haven't bit yet, but the game intrigues me. Same with Souls, and even Bloodborne. Keep the talk here going, give us some insight in to how it plays.

So there you was....

So, there I was, I fought my way through the hounds and zombie like opponents only to stumble upon a treasure chest that promptly teleported me to an OP area from where I was perpetually raped by demons and weird miners until I finally escaped to a swamp that drained the very life from me.

I am pained to say, I ditched that character and started again with some gained knowledge about how the game works, the second time in is much better, the world is interesting and my character is levelling up nicely, I know now not to try and take on any boss without getting more experienced and that you can travel around levelling up some what before taking on any enemy.

As with the other Souls games that I suck at, timing is key, but it's not so much as a necessity as those games that came before it.

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#4596252 - 04/06/22 10:41 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Little hint: Don't get close to that small island in the middle of the large marsh/bog until you are at least level 50. wink

#4596261 - 04/06/22 12:42 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

[Linked Image]
#4596266 - 04/06/22 12:53 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: HeinKill]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas

That's great.

#4596295 - 04/06/22 05:05 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: HeinKill]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

Classic!

#4596296 - 04/06/22 05:09 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I don't go on Tiktok but I made a rare exception here and yes, that video was really hilarious.

#4596343 - 04/07/22 08:57 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: HeinKill]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Not for me either. Feel the same way.

#4596348 - 04/07/22 11:00 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I played it for 2 hours last night and did NOT die. I think I'm getting the hang of it and I'll reiterate again that the gaming world of "The Lands in Between" is really stunning.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.