Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4595851 - 04/01/22 08:33 PM diving a Fokker DR1 without wing damage  
daveswarbirds Offline
daveswarbirds  Offline

San Diego
Please forgive my 'newbie" question..... I am not an expert flight sim player, but I know the basic concepts and the general historic abilities of the planes I fly in the sims.

Perhaps someone can tell me how to dive in a Fokker DR1 without shedding its wings. I realize that these WWI aircraft are not as solidly built as a metal WWII aircraft, but I cannot dive my triplane in WOFF without the fabric skins starting to come off. And once they start to come off, it continually gets worse by the minute while doing any kind of maneuver (unless you only fly straight and level from that point on), until wooden sections of wings start to depart.

Now I know that diving in a DR1 should be possible, as I see other DR1's (piloted by AI) diving in a rapid 70 degree downward dive to attack an observation balloon, and they suffer no ill effects. But even if I try to make my dive more shallow, and cut my throttle down to zero, my speed still quickly goes to 250, and I have to pull up before I suffer damage.

If I see an enemy several hundred meters below me, the only thing that I have found to get down to their altitude is to go into a series of tight 360 degree turns with a downward tilt, so that I do a corkscrew spiral losing altitude as I go. The tight turning bleeds off speed, obviously, but this maneuver takes more time than I'd like, so I'm wondering: is there another maneuver, method, or tactic that I could use to attack an enemy below me?

#4595852 - 04/01/22 08:40 PM Re: diving a Fokker DR1 without wing damage [Re: daveswarbirds]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
Try side slipping, that way you can keep you speed down but still retain a vector towards the target. Be careful though, rapid correction to directional flight can still rip you wings off especialy if you are on the cusp of going to fast, the trick is to remain careful and no jerky inputs.

Last edited by Burning_Beard; 04/01/22 08:43 PM.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4595931 - 04/02/22 03:40 PM Re: diving a Fokker DR1 without wing damage [Re: daveswarbirds]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You can dive but throttle right back and watch the speed. If you have TAC or messages enabled it would say if your are overspeed and wings are being damaged.
The DR1 initially had this issue in a dive and after "fixing" it still occurred.
Example;
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the...nfred-von-richthofens-favorite-aircraft/

This is discussed in detail from the 5th paragraph on.

But as BB says there are other ways to lose height if it worries you smile

... and yes once wings are damaged (on any aircraft) all bets are off as it may continue to break up so land ASAP!

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4597835 - 04/24/22 01:22 AM Re: diving a Fokker DR1 without wing damage [Re: daveswarbirds]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

in my time in sims,,, the sprial turn is best as you also get to scan the whole sky line,, but if you NEED to dive on a target, IDLE the engine, and when your plane starts to hit max speed, go level side slip and slow down and then start diving again.

in Flying Circus you can stall the plane just by using the rudder and loose altitude FAST. But try a banking turn and youll shred wings.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans