Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4595042 - 03/24/22 04:51 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Version 1.22

1) Improved Flak Textures
2) Fixed an XML compatibility issue in Simulation.xml
3) Workshop settings for either disabling, enabling or allowing the user to decide 'on the fly' what to do in bad weather in campaign, now extends to allow users to control what he wants to do on Poor Recon Weather days.

OBD Software
#4595046 - 03/24/22 05:11 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Thank you, but now I'm confused again..

So, I assume with this new patch that I could be assigned (by the commander) an alternate mission and target in the briefing room (please see pics).

Attached Files sightings.jpgground troops.jpgadvance time.jpg
#4595047 - 03/24/22 05:30 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Wait for the patch and you will see?

Also please read all the notes and also play the game as it is to get a better understanding of how those workshop settings work at the moment?

WM

OBD Software
#4595048 - 03/24/22 05:35 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Winding Man]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by Winding Man
Originally Posted by OvStachel
I'm one for all flights being cancelled in bad weather. These little planes would never fly in ANY kind of snow, they barely fly at all on a nice day. The weight on the wings and ice would collapse them immediately.

So as frustrating as it was back then to have to wait.. my vote is for the same now. No Flying OPS of any kind in weather like you see above. Better to wait and fly another day, then have to train a whole new class of pilots.

Loving the mod already... it's very intense!

I agree but there are so many users that don't like the 'all flights cancelled'.....we have been asked to remove that for years!
As I say IMO they would just stay grounded until better weather...no way a BE is going up in snow so yes agreed!

If we go with Recons are grounded in anything but good recon weather it will be overridable by the workshops setting 'Bad Weather Cancels Ops' so I guess I should just implement it and you guys can choose what you want

WM

I think that's a good call Mark. It would actually come down to that anyway. You might get a pilot that says heavy rain no issue, as long as winds are light... and another that simply doesn't want to get wet. But looking at all the pics, and everything around Recon crates... there's no means of protection against wet weather...so highly doubtful they flew in any kind of inclimate weather.

I like the personal decision idea. That makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by OvStachel; 03/24/22 05:35 PM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4595049 - 03/24/22 05:39 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted by Winding Man
I'm one for all flights being cancelled in bad weather. These little planes would never fly in ANY kind of snow, they barely fly at all on a nice day. The weight on the wings and ice would collapse them immediately.

So as frustrating as it was back then to have to wait.. my vote is for the same now. No Flying OPS of any kind in weather like you see above. Better to wait and fly another day, then have to train a whole new class of pilots.

I agree but there are so many users that don't like the 'all flights cancelled'.....we have been asked to remove that for years!
As I say IMO they would just stay grounded until better weather...no way a BE is going up in snow so yes agreed!

If we go with Recons are grounded in anything but good recon weather it will be overridable by the workshops setting 'Bad Weather Cancels Ops' so I guess I should just implement it and you guys can choose what you want

WM

I think that's a good call Mark. It would actually come down to that anyway. You might get a pilot that says heavy rain no issue, as long as winds are light... and another that simply doesn't want to get wet. But looking at all the pics, and everything around Recon crates... there's no means of protection against wet weather...so highly doubtful they flew in any kind of inclimate weather.

I like the personal decision idea. That makes a lot of sense.

Ta James and it is now exactly as so for 1.22.

It will be a few days before it releases as I am looking into a few other things.

Best

WM

OBD Software
#4595056 - 03/24/22 06:52 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thank you WM for continuing to make patch 1.21 even better with the forthcoming 1.22..loving the recon update I’m hoping to post pics soon. Good to see you posting here hope you have a quick recovery from Covid. thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4595085 - 03/25/22 12:36 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I'm a great believer is playing the game the way it is made. The only add-ons I use are skins, just adapt to the FM's of each plane and fly as they are designed.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4595099 - 03/25/22 05:21 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Testing this addon for quite a while. It's a completely different ballgame now with twoseaters. Having a purpose, real tasks and real outcomes. It's exciting to get the pics as good as possible to not make your dangerous mission in vain. Also after making them, doing the best you can to bring them home in one piece.
It's nice to have all this dogfighting and racking up kills, but now also the real workhorses, the real purpose of WW1 aviation can be recreated. A thing not seen in any flightsim, yet. Especially since you have this immersion and real feel to be helping the guys down there, by providing HQ with good pics, doing some W/T to take out positions, dropping notes at a nearby HQ etc.
One thing I quickly noticed is, now you know why so many have been surprised and ended up shot down. You are so occupied by doing your important job. And if you run, if you have been chased away without result, then you have the genuine feeling of having let down the poor chaps below.

Also to note, there are now many more single AI twoseaters doing their recon and artillery jobs. So as a fighterpilot, if you are going lone wolf, you can do it for the purpose as they did in real. Not to run alone into enemy squadrons with plenty of AC but to go on a hunt, like many aces did. Mccudden didn't fly often alone to fight half a dozen enemies at once but to pick his prey carefully. To spot, stalk and hunt those other lone twoseaters. So this addon also benefits fighting campaigns a lot. I'm really loving it :-)

Cheers

Attached Files Shot03-24-22-20-04-17.jpgShot03-24-22-20-09-48.jpgShot03-24-22-20-10-01.jpgShot03-24-22-20-11-56.jpgShot03-24-22-20-13-48.jpgShot03-24-22-20-09-19.jpgShot03-24-22-20-15-05.jpgShot03-24-22-20-16-16.jpgShot03-24-22-20-18-56.jpgShot03-24-22-20-19-47.jpgrecon1.jpgrecon2.jpgrecon3.jpgrecon4.jpgrecon5.jpg
#4595101 - 03/25/22 05:45 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
.... I totally agree. Just one more puzzle piece left to complete two seater careers (and fighters, too)..... RAIDS.... Day and Night.... where you join about half dozen other squadrons to strike at one target! ... or you're on the opposing side trying to react to a sudden RAID!

#4595105 - 03/25/22 09:35 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Quite right Creaghorn, well put. Great pictures.
When flying it makes you appreciate those 2 seater crews more. You now appreciate more why the crappy BE2c was used often, because it's so stable it's really great at it's job (useless at fighting though). Also it brings a lot more tension now in flights trying to decide to hang around to get good result, or break for home.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4595169 - 03/25/22 05:15 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
yes, hats off to all those young teens who did this sort of work day after day. No wonder they had so many binges.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4595425 - 03/28/22 12:18 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

@OvStachel:

"I'm one for all flights being cancelled in bad weather. These little planes would never fly in ANY kind of snow, they barely fly at all on a nice day. The weight on the wings and ice would collapse them immediately.

"

Yes, I agree!!
When I have bad weather in WOFF with all the dark big clouds, rain or snow, wind, thunderbolts, I asked often myself: "If such a bad weather is flyable with these first machines, which weather would be not flyable then?"
So I have the "WOFF optional cloud mod 4.2 by @BB also as a second light version without heavy clouds in my mod-folder (you can read the way at the end of the readme). And additionally I have used the "historical weather mod 2.2" by @BB with more cancelled flights because of bad weather so far ( with "Recon Wars" I don't activate this mod the first weeks, because I want to see the results of default "Bad Weather cancels Flights").

So I have turned on "Bad Weather cancels Flights", for my kind of flying / playing the best way, I believe.

Greetings!

Last edited by Becker01; 03/28/22 12:21 PM.
#4595500 - 03/29/22 08:17 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I think it's best people use the new options in the Workshops now before modding. You can have "Bad Weather Affects Missions" ON or OFF. You can also have Bad Weather Cancels Flights On/OFF or even "optional" where you the player choses on the fly at the time. So all those cases above BuckeyeBob mentions are catered for.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4595503 - 03/29/22 11:05 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Polovski]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Originally Posted by Polovski
I think it's best people use the new options in the Workshops now before modding.

I hear you Pol! salute

#4595586 - 03/30/22 01:32 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Had a fantastic flight today!

An early morning Recon, FA 3 Lb, Mar 1915 flying the trusty Aviatik B.1. Slow and lumbering, but stable and easy to fly. Mimics the feel of a Piper Cub.

Based at a new drome just west of Menen, our flight of 2 departed northwest to take some notes of a large enemy troop position southwest of sector. Our troops at the line needed vital intel as to what they were up against, in numbers and arms.

The flight was smooth, a nice crisp late winter morning, not a cloud in the sky. In our slow moving B1's, it took what seemed like a lifetime to get to a safe altitude to make the trip "over the mud". As we climbed, I could see some British Moranes out there as well. Minding our own business, they were no threat to us other than what information they were gathering. I read in yesterday's paper that the French are trying to mount MG's on some of their Moranes. Good Luck! Wait till it shoots off your prop. What a dumb idea! Imagine a machine gun mounted on a plane! What for??

We continued on to target and the flak was getting a little rough. It's a good thing they're not very accurate. Those pom-pom bursts look nasty and they're very close! I spotted my assigned target and climbed a little more to get a good look. Circling over the area, I jotted down a few notes on the first pass.. then another pass.. and then a final loiter. Altogether it took 3 passes. You would think with a mount as slow as an Aviatik I'd get it on the first run! Not easy at all.

I climbed out, met up with my leader and we headed off to the drop point. I spotted it a distance away and descended to a lower altitude.. albeit a little early... the local boys down there took a ton of pot shots at me and tore up my wings a little!! I got down low and dropped the bag with my notes. Wow, what a dump! I'd hate to be those guys living in the mud around a blown-up factory!! Not me!

Shortly after that, I broke-off and headed home. On the way I decided to pass-by a friend of mine that was in a forward Obs Balloon position. I keep telling him to get out of that thing and come join me.. but he loves what he does... well... so do I! A nice soft landing back at Menen and a glass of Schnapps for afternoon break. Success! The forward HQ radioed my CO's office that they got the intel I wrote down for them! I sure hope it helps! Going back up in about an hour... they're mounting a camera on the side of my crate, This should be interesting!

Attached Files notes2.jpgnotes3.jpgnotes4.jpgnotes5.jpgnotes6.jpg
Last edited by OvStachel; 03/30/22 12:08 PM.

#4595595 - 03/30/22 08:30 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great write up James, looks like a pleasant day out. You'd think those enemy troops were trying to kill you or something.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4595606 - 03/30/22 11:57 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Polovski]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Great write up James, looks like a pleasant day out. You'd think those enemy troops were trying to kill you or something.

Pol, the scenery was always something you guys strived to push to perfection. With this new addition, it all comes together. We may not have all the bells and whistles of a modern sim with lighting effects and shading.. but what we have is the most amazing realism I've ever felt in a sim. Our sim compares to DCS to where you really feel like there is a point to what you are doing. Not just hunting enemy now, it's all about that young kid in the front of me, getting us to the target area, staying high... you have this strange sense of actually being a part of the war in a way I've never felt in any WWI sim before... even our own. This is a whole new page and I hope many of the players explore it. They need to see what this is like. Not only was I constantly scanning the sky, but I was watching for the flak, hoping it would not hit me. The Pom-poms were perfect in size and strength from what I've read. It was a nuisance that could kill you, but odds are it wouldn't.

You guys just nailed it. You can't fly these missions on auto-pilot like fighter missions. You have to pay attention, approach at the right angle, loiter at the right bank angles... keep your altitude at the right height so your flying must be better...throttle up, down, pitch... it's al there.

This is really flying! And on top of it all, the scenery around you is simply amazing!

BTW... DCS World (Digital Combat Simulator World) - I compare our sim to that one because you really need to know what the hell you're doing way before you ever think of entering combat or flying missions. You need to know your plane, the terrain, how to fly it, the enemy... everything. Recon Wars just hit that level with this new addition. Sure, I'm not banging MiG 15's in my Sabre with these missions, but I sure as hell need to know how to fly to get the job done. It's that feeling you walk away from that makes you come back. There are only so many times I can shoot down an enemy plane before I kinda start thinking I need to move on to another era or another plane. Recon Wars has me thinking that already.. how can I make this machine better... when is the next plane type coming so I can at least protect myself!?! I love dogfighting, but I never thought about the enemy I am shooting down. Now I am the enemy I was shooting down... and wow.. it's not fun on this side of the gun. LOL.

Last edited by OvStachel; 03/30/22 12:21 PM.

#4595620 - 03/30/22 02:01 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Great post, OvS, that highlights many of the differences between the careers of a scout vs. a two-seater pilot.

The mindset between being the hunter vs. being the hunted is quite different.....

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4595680 - 03/30/22 09:12 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI

Pol, the scenery was always something you guys strived to push to perfection. With this new addition, it all comes together. We may not have all the bells and whistles of a modern sim with lighting effects and shading.. but what we have is the most amazing realism I've ever felt in a sim. Our sim compares to DCS to where you really feel like there is a point to what you are doing. Not just hunting enemy now, it's all about that young kid in the front of me, getting us to the target area, staying high... you have this strange sense of actually being a part of the war in a way I've never felt in any WWI sim before... even our own. This is a whole new page and I hope many of the players explore it. They need to see what this is like. Not only was I constantly scanning the sky, but I was watching for the flak, hoping it would not hit me. The Pom-poms were perfect in size and strength from what I've read. It was a nuisance that could kill you, but odds are it wouldn't.

You guys just nailed it. You can't fly these missions on auto-pilot like fighter missions. You have to pay attention, approach at the right angle, loiter at the right bank angles... keep your altitude at the right height so your flying must be better...throttle up, down, pitch... it's al there.

This is really flying! And on top of it all, the scenery around you is simply amazing!

+1

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot03-28-22-21-04-54.jpg
Last edited by Polovski; 04/01/22 09:17 AM. Reason: Corrected the qoute

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4595777 - 04/01/22 01:52 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I actually like the new settings a lot, and that it does get frustrating even seeing that the weather is bad. I mean... that's REAL flying for you. You would NEVER take one of these crates up in any weather other than overcast and above. And even overcast can be an issue depending on the ceiling. Wind shear at tree-top level.. no flights. Rain.. no flights. Fog... no flights. But that's real life. No way in hell you're flying in snow. or even heavy rain. I think what's been done with the new option is perfect.

So I like the choice method. I feel like it gives you that chance to experience even the decision making process to go or no-go.

Nice work Winder!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse