Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4594871 - 03/23/22 11:40 AM Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Post some of your thoughts and pics!

For those that know me a bit longer than others will remember this and other that don't, I hope you don't mind. I'm not a huge fan of talking about myself... if I meet you face-to-face... I like to listen and laugh, and not a fan of 1-upping, so I don't elaborate much on my life experiences. But in truth, if you ask more, I will tell more... and that's how I like it. LOL.

So, to my credentials list short... by trade and occupation, I am a licensed aircraft mechanic since 1991, and I work on heavy commercial jets for a very well known International carrier. Been doing it on and off for nearly 30 years. I also fly small aircraft, although I'm not a licensed pilot. I have a lot of pilot friends that allow me to fly their planes a long with them. I have probably around 20-30 hours of undocumented seat time in various low, high and open cockpit small airplanes. Bi-Planes, fabric, metal...whatever...

I mention these aspects for very important reasons. WOFF (BH&HII and all previous) has become my flight sim of choice. I have logged thousands of hours in all variations of M$ Flight Simulators dating back to the SubLOGIC variations on Commodore 64's. Bare with me... there is a point to all of this... it's really about my skill level and how I try to take this as serious as possible when I fly. I am not new to actual flight or simming for that matter.

It was late in the evening last night and I was working on the Pfalz for a little bit... so I took a break, and popped over to our forum to see if any news came up. Sure enough, there it was... the new patch "Recon Wars" (which I hope becomes a fun nick-name to the new update) will be a welcomed if not revered addition to this magnificent game we have!

I quickly downloaded it, and read though the instructions... wow... this sounds devilishly insane... I jumped into a French Escadrille (yes... you read that correctly! I looked like a duck at a chicken farm) and took off for the front on a simple "note' mission over enemy troops positions. Not more than 20 mins along this fray into the jaws of death my flight was jumped by a Hun Jasta (with some amazing and colorful skins mind you!!). I think it was Jasta 32b as I was in the Marne sector where I thought I would be safe for a little while. Oh... hell ... no. WOW... I was tossing that plane all over the sky, jinking and diving to give my observer a chance to get off a shot. Rear guns blazing away, I can hear the engines of the Albatros right up my ass. Well, as I looked over my left shoulder to make an evasive maneuver, down we went. Head shot. I was out. I didn't even get a chance to get to the target.

Now... I know this does not explain anything about the point of the mission... I get that... but what it does show is that the mission has purpose now. There was a feel like I had something to do, and I needed to get it done. I prepped for it, read everything, wrote down the sector, and the short-cut keys for quick reference... but never got a chance to do anything. THAT is my point. This game is beyond anything I have experienced before. I fly my planes now, like I fly in real life and they react as they should. In a J3 Cub, you are space limited, cramped up and feeling like your sitting in a fabric covered coffin... I felt like that in the Strutter. It handled very well as expected for a WWI two-seater. I did all I could to avoid the inevitable death I was facing. I had my map sector next to me to verify I was flying the compass correctly. I had notes as to what I was looking for... much like I would have in real life. I was set on doing the job as I was assigned as close to what real-life would have been like. Obviously, as much as we have just shot 2-seaters down like sitting ducks, there was a side to them that we never saw until now. And that side it not just piloting skill... it was preparation. Understanding the core reason for the mission, that lives depended on you... and you HAD to get that mission done!

This leads me to believe with confidence that this new Add-On "Recon Wars" is going to set a standard for realism for many years to come that no other sim will ever get close to. WWI was hell... Recon Wars puts you smack in the middle of the boiling kettle with no where to hide,

Download it and get up there!!

OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4594872 - 03/23/22 12:04 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Thanks James - pleased to read this.

WM

OBD Software
#4594873 - 03/23/22 12:05 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great post James, there definitely is much more focus on the job you have to do now.

One thing, if you fly a few more missions and find it is still too tough in your area, remember you can reduce forced encounters to medium or Off,
(mentioned in item 35 in the RECON WARS Notes or the "History of Changes" on the BH&H II downloads page on the website.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4594890 - 03/23/22 02:03 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
It's cold and snowing outside on the early morning of 20th January 1916. 'B' Flight, No.2 Squadron has been tasked with a reconnaisance mission and the CO has chosen me to fly it. Just me, Weller (my observer) and our more-or-less trusty BE2c.

I'm not quite sure that the Old Man has quite got the new hang of the new drills for tasking us Corps Squadrons, flying the two seater 'working aeroplanes' on which the BEF has come to rely so heavily, especially for reconnaisance and artillery observation. 'Fly low...and return immediately to report on visual observations of any enemy aircraft incursions'? Does that mean we return immediately after reaching the target area to report, even if we see nothing? Or more plausibly, remain in the area but return immediately once we see anything? And if we can see it while flying low, won't our ground troops be able to, despite the weather? And won't our report be so out-of-date as to be useless once we've returned to make it?

[Linked Image]

Ours not to reason why; no doubt things will settle down once we get used to the new regime. Off we go to the sheds to sort out our kite. We're advised not to take any kit so I leave behind notebook, R/T set and camera. I could perhaps have shipped a few illicit bombs to chuck at the Huns while I was over but that would not have been very sensible. In fact I have a feeling that no loadout options showed up here, but I might be wrong.

[Linked Image]

The snow is howling through the wires as we struggle away from Hesdigneul.

[Linked Image]

Our flight plan allows us plenty of time to gain the four thousand or so feet recommended for the mission to the Lines east of Bethune.

[Linked Image]

It's still a long slog in frightful conditions. Note that the external camera, previously attached by default but now an optional loadout item, is no longer fitted to its mounting next to the rear cockpit.

[Linked Image]

The lines are not wide at this point and we've hardly reached them before Archie starts plastering the skies all around us. It quickly becomes so fierce that I throw in some evasive action.

[Linked Image]

By the time I reach the target area, I have the wind up so thoroughly that I turn for home after spending just enough time to determine that there are no enemy aircraft to be seen. If that's exploiting ambiguity in my orders, well I'd rather argue the toss with the CO than with Archie.

[Linked Image]

I haven't gone far when I realise we are no longer alone. My observer is watching with interest a shower of anti-aircraft bursts to our left rear, between us and No-Man's Land. Hostile or friendly, that's the question.

[Linked Image]

I check the map and our flight plan. Confusingly, the latter now shows a brand-new leg, up to an airfield to the north-west. What to do?

[Linked Image]

I don't take long to decide that the honour of the squadron requires us to turn back and investigate those AA bursts. They could be what I was sent here to watch out for. We'll soon find out! I heave the BE around.

[Linked Image]

...to be continued!

Attached Files Wof 121 briefing.jpgWof 121 briefing loadout.jpgShot03-22-22-11-13-21.jpgShot03-22-22-11-13-35.jpgShot03-22-22-11-25-15.jpgShot03-22-22-11-29-49.jpgShot03-22-22-11-30-04.jpgShot03-22-22-11-30-18.jpgShot03-22-22-11-34-07.jpgShot03-22-22-11-31-15.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 03/23/22 02:47 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4594895 - 03/23/22 02:25 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Thanks 33Lima...if the map changes to a single waypoint to an airbase then basically it means that you should return to the nearest base.
This has always occured but i guess not many have noticed.

Just some info on this mission type for those interested..in bad weather you cannot carry out high alt recons due to poor visibility so loadouts are not required.

So you are simply sent out to do eyeball observations on these days at low alts.

See item 28) in my notes. And what options you have

HTH

WM

Last edited by Winding Man; 03/23/22 02:28 PM.

OBD Software
#4594906 - 03/23/22 03:09 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
[SOLVED] Good Advice in the notes, WM. But does anyone know how would you tell if the mission was a success or not? Unfortunately, I do heavily depend on the game to let me know if I failed or succeeded in my mission. .... for those of us that are too lazy to use our imagination...

28) All Squadron Operations for Player and AI are now affected by Weather. This affects Mission Types and Altitudes and is switchable in Workshops.
On Heavy Cloud or Raining/Snowing Days where the weather is not quite bad enough to call off operations then:
1) Operations for all Squadron types generally become more defensive in nature (mainly within Friendly lines).
2) They also take place at lower alts and Recon Photographing and or Artillery Ranging for Reconnaissance Squadrons cannot be undertaken.

Edit: My question was answered. Thank you, WM for the clarification.

Last edited by orbyxP; 03/23/22 03:38 PM. Reason: Question answered
#4594909 - 03/23/22 03:16 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Full outcomes evaluation, detail screens are available and notes are recorded in your pilots dossier. Moreover total talies are maintained.

See pics on our website and in some threads on the forum.

Read items 13) ,14) and 29)

Or better still play it and see it....no need to imagine it...its all there and logged.

WM

Last edited by Winding Man; 03/23/22 03:22 PM.

OBD Software
#4594912 - 03/23/22 03:40 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
yippy... I finally got a recon right!

Foto recce over infantry position. Perfect weather too.
Seems best not to focus on ground units themselves but to actually fly through the middle of the Infantry position rectangle and then shift-p
4 out of 5 plates accepted.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4594933 - 03/23/22 05:49 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Excellent lederhosen, yes indeed that's a good way to do it. That's also one of the tips in section 12 of the Recon Wars notes

RECON WARS Notes or the "History of Changes" on the BH&H II downloads page on the website.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4594988 - 03/24/22 05:18 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Winding Man]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Originally Posted by Winding Man

Or better still play it and see it....no need to imagine it...its all there and logged.

WM

Tried a few missions and failed.... so, I need a LOT of practice it seems.

When I save the mission as a scenario, I can't equip the camera when I launch that same mission in the scenario section. Also, I don't get those extra buttons for recon report/review mission at the end of the scenario to see if I passed or failed. Is there any way to get the scenarios with the same functionality/report debriefs as the campaign?

#4594996 - 03/24/22 06:51 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: orbyxP]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
No its campaign only at the moment...I simply ran out of time.

I will implement QC and Scenarios in the expansion next year.

WM

OBD Software
#4595001 - 03/24/22 09:18 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Bloody Clouds !!!

Had a foto run today at 1300m.....no fun with Archie these days.
It was cloudy and that made me wonder if this mission was worth even trying.... but like the pilots of old, I hoped that cloud breaks and holes would appear.
They did, but just I would expose a plate, mist would appear and ruin my run. But we can't give up, that's not cricket old sport !
Archie is getting better meanwhile. Can't hang around here for ever so I so I say f-it and take 4 plates with the mist. Turn for 5th run and Archie gets my engine, blast and #%&*$# it all.
Was able to land near the next airfield, but to know avail, my plates were useless.

Great fun though.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4595003 - 03/24/22 10:58 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Meanwhile, back near the Lines east of Bethune...

...I skirt around the anti-aircraft barrage that seems to fill the sky all around me, as I approach. I still can't tell if the target is friend or foe - it feels like some of the fire may be directed at me! As an aside, I have the early-war balloon flak mod enabled but also previously increased the rate of fire in the German and allied flak guns to .6 - I think I will now need to back that off, bit didn't retain the original xdp files so if someone can tell me what the stock setting is, I'd be grateful!

[Linked Image]

Suddenly, tracers reach out towards us. Two Fokkers emerge from the maelstrom of Archie and bear down on us, shooting as they come!

[Linked Image]

In desperation, I shove down the nose, turn west and race for terra firma. If the Fokkers don't get me, it seems Archie will, be he ours or theirs! But the Huns too have had enough. I feel a wave of relief as I see them turn away to the east and back to Hun-land.

[Linked Image]

My observer watches our tail, as if expecting some Hunnish trick is in the offing. But the shooting falls away astern and begins to die back. We've escaped!

[Linked Image]

I follow our revised flight plan back up to that friendly aerodrome to the north-west. But a new danger becomes apparent. My kite's fuselage, lower wings and tailplane have been shredded by bullets or fragments and I have to apply a lot of left stick to keep her level. My motor is running smoothly enough but the extra drag seems to be reducing our speed to a crawl.

[Linked Image]

After what seems like ages we reach the airfield and I make a cautious half-circuit and approach. It feels like the BE could fall away at any moment. As I cut the power to land, I need even more force on the controls to prevent the right wing dipping, including a lot of left rudder. The machine is crabbing in nearly sideways and I fear the worst when the wheels touch.

[Linked Image]

By some miracle there's no crash and we roll slowly to a halt. In a complete funk, I turn off the engine without taxying up to the sheds, fearing disaster in some form could still claim us.

[Linked Image]

Despite all the palaver, our BE is reported as only lightly damaged, having landed at la Gorgue.

[Linked Image]

The mission and weather being as they were, the new recce debriefing has nothing much to add.

[Linked Image]

Well, that one scared the virtual pants off me! For exactly that reason I'm looking forward to further campaign missions in this great new addition to WoFF BH&H II!

Only other observations are that I need to revert to stock flak rates of fire; check if any loadout options can be selected, if none are recommended; and I reckon a mission to report on enemy aerial activity from the air then fly back and report it doesn't make a lot of sense - to report ground activity would appear more reasonable.

Attached Files Shot03-22-22-11-32-21.jpgShot03-22-22-11-32-25.jpgShot03-22-22-11-33-02.jpgShot03-22-22-11-33-27.jpgShot03-22-22-11-36-50.jpgShot03-22-22-11-39-23.jpgShot03-22-22-11-39-23.jpgShot03-22-22-11-40-17.jpgWof 121 DEbriefing.jpgWof 121 DEbriefing recce report.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 03/24/22 11:07 AM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4595007 - 03/24/22 11:11 AM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: 33lima]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
You will only get a 'real recon' mission with a recommended loadout when the weather clears up... or you can turn this off in workshops.
'Bad Weather Affects Operations'

Pleased you are enjoying it.

There are two types of 'No Recon Possible" due to poor weather missions (weather hampers operations) : -
1) Report on any AC Incursion sightings
2) Report any Ground/Troop type movements.
In both events there is really nothing to do alas due to the poor visibility.
I think in real life you would just sit around...waiting for good weather

You can skip this in two ways , T+ to better weather - or turn off 'weather affects operations' in Workshops but then as I say you'll be asked to do the impossible - perform recon in poor weather.

I am open to suggestions on what the text in these 'no recon possible' days should be...its a bit of a conundrum.
Otherwise a recon pilot could be made to just fly in good weather and we skip the bad days completely - I know many users hate that too!
But bear in mind whatever changes I do, if at all at this stage, need to be quick and simple as I am working on WOTR again

I am looking into flak rates - in the meantime you can also scale them down in workshops - ground gun accuracy/RoF.

WM

Edited to explain more for anyone interested in campaigns: Recon Missions and edited again....

Last edited by Winding Man; 03/24/22 12:46 PM.

OBD Software
#4595026 - 03/24/22 02:34 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Winding Man]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I'm one for all flights being cancelled in bad weather. These little planes would never fly in ANY kind of snow, they barely fly at all on a nice day. The weight on the wings and ice would collapse them immediately.

So as frustrating as it was back then to have to wait.. my vote is for the same now. No Flying OPS of any kind in weather like you see above. Better to wait and fly another day, then have to train a whole new class of pilots.

Loving the mod already... it's very intense!

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4595027 - 03/24/22 02:36 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Winding Man]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State

You can skip this in two ways , T+ to better weather - or turn off 'weather affects operations' in Workshops but then as I say you'll be asked to do the impossible - perform recon in poor weather.

I am open to suggestions on what the text in these 'no recon possible' days should be...its a bit of a conundrum.
Otherwise a recon pilot could be made to just fly in good weather and we skip the bad days completely - I know many users hate that too!
But bear in mind whatever changes I do, if at all at this stage, need to be quick and simple as I am working on WOTR again

From my point of view, I didn't know that "weather is hampering our operations" meant "no recon possible" which translates to "impossible mission to complete successfully". And if I decided to go with the mission, It would be a failure and I'd be flying around without a definite purpose. So, I guess, from the briefing room, if alternate targets "Report on any AC Incursion sightings" OR "Report any Ground/Troop type movements" were made available, then I can choose to fly that mission instead and have a chance at a successful mission.

#4595035 - 03/24/22 04:00 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: orbyxP]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted by orbyxP

From my point of view, I didn't know that "weather is hampering our operations" meant "no recon possible" which translates to "impossible mission to complete successfully". And if I decided to go with the mission, It would be a failure and I'd be flying around without a definite purpose. So, I guess, from the briefing room, if alternate targets "Report on any AC Incursion sightings" OR "Report any Ground/Troop type movements" were made available, then I can choose to fly that mission instead and have a chance at a successful mission.

Thats how it is at the moment....

WM

OBD Software
#4595036 - 03/24/22 04:07 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: OvStachel]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted by OvStachel
I'm one for all flights being cancelled in bad weather. These little planes would never fly in ANY kind of snow, they barely fly at all on a nice day. The weight on the wings and ice would collapse them immediately.

So as frustrating as it was back then to have to wait.. my vote is for the same now. No Flying OPS of any kind in weather like you see above. Better to wait and fly another day, then have to train a whole new class of pilots.

Loving the mod already... it's very intense!

I agree but there are so many users that don't like the 'all flights cancelled'.....we have been asked to remove that for years!
As I say IMO they would just stay grounded until better weather...no way a BE is going up in snow so yes agreed!

If we go with Recons are grounded in anything but good recon weather it will be overridable by the workshops setting 'Bad Weather Cancels Ops' so I guess I should just implement it and you guys can choose what you want

WM

OBD Software
#4595038 - 03/24/22 04:20 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: Winding Man]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State

WM

I don't understand then, because when I get days with "no recon possible" and I try to click on alternate target or optional flight in the briefing room, I don't get a choice of "Report on any AC Incursion sightings" OR "Report any Ground/Troop type movements" missions

#4595039 - 03/24/22 04:39 PM Re: Recon Wars - Pilot's Experience Logs [Re: orbyxP]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted by orbyxP

WM

I don't understand then, because when I get days with "no recon possible" and I try to click on alternate target or optional flight in the briefing room, I don't get a choice of "Report on any AC Incursion sightings" OR "Report any Ground/Troop type movements" missions

Sorry no its not user selectable...its either/or and decided for you by the commander.
So some will be AC Incursions and some will be Ground troops but as Recon pilots you are told what to do.

And I have just made V1.22 that you can now elect to not even fly them at all.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again