Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4593811 - 03/10/22 08:15 PM on sale at GOG Kingdom come  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Got a special offer in my email.Wondering if it's worth playing !! Got the base game and the DlC's
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgzGmvLZlfzCQhhbmBSGsGRMJLcxJ

Russ
Semper Fi
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4593813 - 03/10/22 09:01 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If you care to know my opinion, then yes, yes it is. This is a fantastic RPG in my view, and well worth your time if you think you might like it. As I usually do I made a thread about it

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4482406/1

We are also talking about it a bit in PM's Elder Scrolls Online thread in CH.

As for me, I really enjoyed this game. I thought the melee combat is the best I've played. As mentioned in PMs thread I think there's a perfect synergy between your character's fighting progression and yours as the player. It's not easy at first, both because Henry sucks at it, and you do too. But you both improve together, which may seem either odd or expected, but it was all quite apparent to me as I played through.

It's swords and axes and arrows stuff. Real swordfighter play unlike any other game I've played,and I talk about it some in that linked thread. Aside from combat, the scenery and terrain is top notch. There's a real period authenticity you can see in how the towns are laid out, how they appear so organic. It's great to be riding along and over a rise and the valley opens out before you with a town or village nestled in the draw, smoke rising from fireplaces, the sounds of the smith's hammer striking a rythym. It just feels right.

Armor is also unlike what I've played before, with a huge number of pieces, and you can layer them as was done in those days. The horses are well implemented. Mechanics are logical. The alchemy is easily the best I've seen, even if that's not really something I used much, but I still want to note how good it is. There's so much to like about KCD that I will certainly recommend it.

The only thing I didn't care for really was the levelling system. it was uninspiring and simple, disappointing really, for me, as this is often one of my favorite things about an RPG. YMMV.

Here's a bit I wrote about the combat in that thread

"I'd reckon I'm about halfway through the game, about 70 hours in. I take my time. I've gotten used to the combat system, and my character too, and together it makes it the best melee system I've seen in any RPG. When you come up against a skilled opponent it really shines, it feels like swordfighting. Not just clicking the mouse. You can dodge, block, riposte, smack him in the face with the pommel. There are 6 'zones' for striking, slash or stab. In addition, there are several weapon types (longswords, short swords, mace, halberd, axe, etc) that your character needs to train in to become efficient. This is done through normal gameplay, and through a trainer you can spend time with to polish your skills. Combo moves are very effective, once you've learned them. However, combo moves are hard to use against skilled opponents, as they break your chain because they are faster than less skilled opponents. So combos are quite difficult to use except against the foes you don't really need them for. the result is I fight reactively, defensively. I let the opponent strike first, and block it to open him up for a counter stroke. It all adds up to a wonderful experience, beginning the game as a complete noob, but over time acquiring the skills to become proficient, not just through perks, but by actually practicing and figuring it all out.

Archery though is a disappointment. I use the bow all the time. But why they chose to do it the way they did is hard to understand. Henry holds the bow about a foot to the right, so that you aren't looking down the arrow shaft to aim. And the amount of sway is over the top. With the non-centered view and no reticle it is harder than it needs to be. Of course you get used to it and can be effective, and there are mods to add an aimpoint if needed. But for a game that has realism as it's calling card, the decisions made regarding implementation of the bow are a bit baffling. Things improve a bit as you level up, but even then it feels little like actually shooting a bow and arrow."

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4593815 - 03/10/22 09:13 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh and we cannot access your email, so that link doesn't reveal much to the rest of us! smile

#4593816 - 03/10/22 09:18 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks for the reply DBond and the link to the previous post.Looks like it's worth $10,Heck on a good evening I'd flush that much down the toilet.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593817 - 03/10/22 09:23 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I paid $60 and felt I got my money's worth by the half-way point.

#4593818 - 03/10/22 09:49 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Installing it now DBond.I just don't fancy the Galaxy install but with that many parts I guess it's best to let it run I normally am automatically logged on to GOG and just download the separate parts and install the game.Installed Galaxy and it wanted me to log in again.Took forever to reset my bloody password but it's working now.

Last edited by rwatson; 03/10/22 10:22 PM.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593832 - 03/11/22 02:51 AM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

You might find that the road is less 'bumpy' if you treat the world more like a real one, and less like the hero's playground that it is in the Witcher, Skyrim etc.

Other people's houses are private spaces, you are a 'foreigner' from another town and not to be trusted much beyond where you can be thrown, people don't like burglars to wake them at midnight for a chat etc.

Talking success does depend on your stats to a degree - but more important is how much your persuasion attempt aligns with what they already are prepared to do.

On a technical note, texture streaming is an issue, I'd suggest looking at setting textures down at the lowest level you feel comfortable with (lighting and geometry can be higher (lower frame rates, but less streaming hangs). Give it a play and see how it goes. If you get a stuttering/framing in cutscenes try a different combination of Vsync/Screen mode.

I avoid using two playlines in adjacent slots (e.g. playline 0 then 2, then 4, rather than 0, 1, 2), as there was an apparent 'leak' of objects quest outcomes between these in my day zero first playing (the restart was all over the place).

The quest log is good, but the entries are only a suggestion of what Henry knows about the potential solution set - keep in mind the *actual* intent of the task, sometimes the best method has little to do with the ideas that Henry is fed by the first npc to introduce the task. OTOH, the mission titles are quite often very important - especially the ones giving life advice.

#4593834 - 03/11/22 03:47 AM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Archery is bad, but as you get better at it the character's skills also improve and the sway goes down quite a bit. It's a slow progression though. Also, make sure you have the stats for the bow, if you're stats are too low it'll sway more. One of the gloves, either the vambrace or one of the cuman gloves has a convenient line along the back of the had to the target. Or, since it's on PC you can just mod it to have an aiming point on the screen with the bow.

#4593836 - 03/11/22 04:53 AM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Archery is fine. The technique is - fully draw the bow, using the 'rough middle of the screen' 'instinctual pointing' rather than attempting to finely aim, then immediately release on the full draw. Attempting to hold and aim results in lower rates of shooting and lower accuracy. (Cancel the draw using RMB if the target isn't in your area of pointing, then redraw, or loose and draw and shoot again.

It is quite possible to score 66 pts from 21 arrows in the competitions - 3 per centre, plus three for first finish on a reasonably consistent basis (maybe dropping 1-2 points on a few attempts in a series of many) from the first time Bernard gives you a bow (and vambraces to protect your arm from self-inflicted injury you will risk at bow level <5). Don't go for bows which are too strong - 2-3 hits from a weaker bow are better than a miss from the strongest bows in the game, and the lighter bows draw faster and are easier to point.

#4593852 - 03/11/22 01:17 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
We discussed this back when we were playing in the thread I linked to, and I have to disagree about the archery.

It's not the same as saying it's too hard, or I suck at it. Just that it's not implemented in a good way in my opinion. When you need to turn your bracers in to an aiming stake, rather than just look down the arrow shaft, something's not right. I still used the bow a lot, and had fun with the hunting and with the archery contests. But that in spite of the way it is done. Finally I think I used a cfg edit to put a dot on the screen.

Errata: In that bit where I quoted myself I said there are 6 attack zones, but as Lieste pointed out at the time, there are actually 7.

Let us know how you get on with it Russ. Plow through the early stages where you are bad at fighting. It's supposed to be that way.

#4593857 - 03/11/22 01:59 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Sorry about the link DB I guess it's a special offer kind of thing.I looked at the Gog site and it's a wee bit more than what I paid.I get a lot of special offers from GOG.I'm starting off slow and just exploring right now.Really starting to feel like something i'll be getting into.Seems like I've seen the game before perhaps on the great grandsons computer.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593868 - 03/11/22 03:47 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Don't you get a Steam key from GoG?

The problem with the link isn't GoG, but that it is in your email, and we don't have your log-in info. smile

I hope you like it and play it a long time. You play many of the games I do, but I never hear anything after the start and I wonder how many of these you play through to the end. My run in KCD was 147 hours.

#4593869 - 03/11/22 04:20 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
DBond.It was a discount code that came in my email.I get those from GOG often..I have no clue as to how to get a steam code from GOG.I usually avoid making long posts here because my writing and reporting on games isn't up to the level of what you guys post here.I tend to jump around between sims,war games and open world games.The last few weeks I've been playing command Ops 2 and flying Strike Fighters 2,with all the DLC's and a Korean Air war mod and a bit of Company of heroes.As I get older my focus wanders a lot.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593875 - 03/11/22 04:48 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No worries, just something I wonder about.

We once discussed Warhammer 3 in that thread, and I was interested to know how you got on. You had the day off, and were going to brew a pot of coffee and have a go at it. Later I asked how it went, and then again much later, but never heard anything and wondered how you liked it. No worries like I said, and no one is under obligation to post. Just that I am interested in how a recommendation is received.

Few around here gab on about the games they are playing like I do and I don't expect others to follow suit. Just curious how it turned out is all.

I should give KCD another go. It's been long enough and maybe there have been additions or improvements? Maybe Lieste knows. Any significant changes since 2018?

#4593876 - 03/11/22 05:09 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Dbond I don't remember asking about WH III I did ask about WH 2 and I'm always off I've been retired for 11 years now and haven't had a cup of coffee in years..I always read the posts here and learn a lot from them.You gentlemen write good posts and often have helped me make a decision about a game.
I'm taking the advice from an EAW friend and uninstalling a good portion of my games.That way I won't be jumping from game to game and leaving the TV off for awhile,given a choice between gaming and streaming movies,,Gaming is the better choice.The Gog version of KCD has all the DLC's included

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593881 - 03/11/22 05:32 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha you're right, I looked it up and was 'walk the dog and eat', no mention of coffee at all biggrin

Anyway, have fun with it.

#4593935 - 03/12/22 12:44 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
DBond.Can't put my finger on it but the game didn't seem to grab me.But in cleaning the junk off my drives yesterday.I rediscovered two games I really liked Fallout 4 and Red Dead Redemption II..I think I fell into that rut I'm sure a few others have..Too many games and that leads to hopping from game to game and not fully getting into the heart of any particular game.I was really enjoying the two games but something new came around and I fell prey to it.
Snowed in here.In Ohio 6 inches of snow seizes up my town.I'm from new England CT,RI,NY and used to heavy snow but at my age it's best not to take chances of falling.I see the hours some post and understand they stuck with a game for a long time.So time to focus and just play a couple of games.Flight sims are on hold for awhile.I will hold a couple of turn based war games for some quick fun.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593937 - 03/12/22 01:23 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that happens and it won't be for everyone.

I think both of the other games are top too. I rate the survival run I did in FO4 last fall the best gaming experience I had in 2021. And RDR 2 is my top designed PC game eva. So you can't go wrong with those.

You are already aware -- since you posted in it -- but I detailed my FO4 run, with every point spent. Not sure it would be very helpful to a different player who will choose their own path, but if you play FO4 it could help by reading which perks, weapons and so on I found useful and which were less so. Some thoughts on the SPECIALS. I then did a hardcore run in New Vegas too, since I enjoyed FO4 so much.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....t-4-now-with-extra-new-vegas#Post4577683

#4593940 - 03/12/22 01:54 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks DBond.I always like to read reports from real players.-One thing about games like Fallout is they have a high replay value.Or the War hammer games just play a different faction and it's a new game.Looks like you are getting a bit of nasty weather in N.J. be careful out there.

Russ
Semper Fi
#4593949 - 03/12/22 03:21 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes it was 51 degrees this morning, but expected to drop through the day with snow later. That means a ready-built excuse to game some more haha.

#4593956 - 03/12/22 03:35 PM Re: on sale at GOG Kingdom come [Re: rwatson]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
cold here around 11 degrees with about 6 inches of snow.That seizes the town up.I lived most of my life in New England NY,CT RI and it doesn't faze me one bit.But at least it is a solid excuse to explore in F4

Russ
Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.