Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 63 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 63
#4576708 - 08/06/21 08:34 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF ***** [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I've been meaning to say how much I appreciate the new font for the newspaper. It is much easier for me to read now.

thumbsup

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4577572 - 08/17/21 11:57 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Not sure how big a deal this is to pull off with the Ones and Zeros, but if it won't delay the arrival of the Sopwith Dolphin too much, exitstageleft

...please move Conteville to it's proper historical location on the road between Abbeville and Auxi - le - Chateau. The location in game is at Conteville en Ternois, far to the North. As a result of this misplacement, squadrons at Conteville are flying ahistoric missions far to the north in the 11th army sector as opposed to their actual area of operations in front of Amiens. Is this game-breaking, kinda. It certainly shoots immersion in the head for us DID nerds.

I can't speak to how many of the airfields in game are slightly out of location (e.g. Chipilly) or wildly misplaced like Conteville. Having conducted daily operations from Conteville since June 1, I thought I'd give it a mention.

#4578143 - 08/25/21 05:28 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Two things:

Can whatever makes the snow reflective be added to the rivers and rail lines?

In my current campaign, Jasta 11 just upgraded from Halberstadt D-III's to Albatros D-III's. The whole squadron. Just like that. And it occurred to me that while one or two machines might arrive by rail or even lorry (improbable, but maybe possible) for the CO or top ace, the more likely scenario would be for the squadron to fly their old machines to a rear airfield where the new ones have been marshalled, drop them off, maybe have a bite to eat or a quick trip to the latrine, and then fly the new ones back home.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4578546 - 08/29/21 04:15 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I really wish they would do an all-hands-on-deck effort to get dx11 in game before going off to the Reich. There are still annoying issues with losing aircraft right in front of you in the ground clutter and tracers and I think those shades would really help with that as well as making everything pop just a little more. That is my biggest remaining graphical complaint...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4578556 - 08/29/21 06:21 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@RR, incorporation of dx10/11 would also offset some more of the work from the CPU to the GPU, while running WOFF/WOTR - so a win-win in terms of higher FPS too, even on mid-range GPUs and monitors.

Having said that, I think that AnKor implemented a dx8-to-dx9 wrapper in WOFF/WOTR, not pure dx9, since there are some calls in the dx8 code that changed by the time dx9 came out, so it was the best solution that would give dx9 benefit while still harnessing the underlying dx8 calls in the cfs3 underpinnings/code -- a magnificent piece of work that he did there. Speaking of AnKor, I hope he's doing well - I think he was working on some dx10/11 things for WOFF/WOTR, but seems, like Xjouve, to have disappeared from modding. Hope that both of them are doing well.

On a related note, if you are interested in more "pop" in WOFF/WOTR, to spot aircraft, fences, tracers, etc. more easily - might I humbly recommend checking over my ReShade presets for WOFF (BH2) and WOTR (Phase One) -- https://combatace.com/forums/topic/...woffuepebh2/?tab=comments#comment-782377

The presets are FPS-friendly while being a fairly accurate imitation of my subtle bloom tweaks of Bucksnort's SweetFX mod. for WOFF UE (which works only up to about ver. 4.21 of WOFF). Those running WOFF ver. 4.21 or lower (especially the venerable ver. 4.18) -- are recommended instead to check over the SweetFX patches available on CombatAce for WOFF, since those are slightly more FPS friendly than ReShade, no matter how much a ReShade preset may be slimmed down.

Happy flying all and good/better spotting (and re-spotting),
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 08/29/21 06:24 PM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4578565 - 08/29/21 07:49 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: VonS]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by VonS

Speaking of AnKor, I hope he's doing well - I think he was working on some dx10/11 things for WOFF/WOTR, but seems, like Xjouve, to have disappeared from modding. Hope that both of them are doing well.

This was my understanding as well. I'll keep your mod in mind! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4582763 - 10/17/21 04:40 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
AlbrechtKaseltzer Offline
AlbrechtKaseltzer  Offline

Okay, so I think I've kinda coalesced around the following items...sorry for any repeats

#1 - Belgian squadrons: if it's Wings Over Flanders Fields, let's have the squadrons that were actually from Flanders!

It's pretty much the only hole in the game's western front history, and OBD can pretty much cover it with 4-5 squadrons, 4 aerodromes, half a dozen or so ace pilots...I don't know what the coding input looks like, but I imagine this is a relatively small task in the grand scheme of doing the whole western front.

You wouldn't even necessarily have to add any new aircraft - you could populate those squadrons with Nieuports, SPADs, the occasional Camel and you've pretty much got their real-life historical slate. (Though as per #2, an Hanriot HD.1 would be pretty sweet cherry on top!)

#2 - the Sopwith Dolphin, Pfalz D.XII, Hanriot HD.1

In terms of the sheer production numbers, I think these are all top 10 or top 15 fighters or somewhere thereabouts.

-If I were to add one aircraft to WOFF, it would be the Sopwith Dolphin. More than 2000 of these were made, they served for almost a year, dozens of ace pilots flew them, and the Dolphin provides a unique look and feature set that sets it apart from other fighters: highly maneuverable, high-speed, high-power inline engine British fighter with a ton of guns.

-On the German side, there are plenty of intriguing, small-scale production fighters (SSW D.III/D.IV, several Rolands etc), but I think the Pfalz D.XII is the most-produced German fighter not yet included in WOFF: about 700-800 were built (on par w/the Albatros D.III/D.V/Pfalz D.IIIa), peaking at 400 units mostly populating the Bavarian Jastas and enjoying some success in the hands of several German aces. The Pfalz D.XII also helps complete the historicism of the game flow: these were a principle replacement for outdated Pfalz D.IIIa's and Albatros D.Va's, while augmenting the fighter fleet since production of the Fokker D.VII couldn't fully keep up with demand.

-The Hanriot HD.1 is one I bring up just because I think it's frickin cool: it cuts a strikingly sleek, beautiful figure, and offers performance reminiscent of the Sopwith Pup and Nieuport 17 while still being somewhat competitive going into 1918. And if OBD ever adds Belgian squadrons, the Hanriot's the one fighter necessary to complete the Belgian fighter slate.

#3 - Incorporate some of the most useful mods into the game (e.g. Von S's flight models, the multi mod).

-Regarding Von S's flight models - e.g. for the SPAD XIII, the stock in-game flight model for the 220hp SPAD XIII could remain, but alongside Von S's flight models for the 200hp and 235hp SPAD XIII.

None of the modified flight models require new 3D modeling, but they do increase the diversity and variance of performance levels for the player, the player's squadron, and the AI opponents - a few extra engine options for a Nieuport or a Camel or an Albatros makes the front feel less uniform and more like real life. It also makes sense e.g. for French elite pilots to have the 235hp SPAD XIII, while lower-ranking/less-experienced pilots fly the 200hp/220hp variants. So even as the squadrons coalesce around one or two models, you still have something to aspire to - you won't have a rookie on his first mission flying the same quality machine as Rene Fonck.

-For the multi mod - everything in the multi mod would make a welcome addition to the in-game settings, and goes a long way to resolving issues e.g. with overpowered AI rear gunners. If OBD thinks the AI is calibrated the best way, that can stand as the default setting while also creating an in-game option for the user to edit as preferred.

If these things become part of the game, then we don't have to worried about compatibility with the game - e.g. we don't have to worry if there will be a bad interaction between the mods & some future patch installation, because there wouldn't be any mod. The features would just be built into the game.

#4 - The ability to shoot the Lewis gun when it's pointed upward.

This would make several of the Nieuports - as well as the S.E.5/S.E.5a series - far more dangerous, helping even out the playing field a bit against AI two-seaters. It's hard to have a fair fight if you don't have the benefit of one of Albert Ball's favorite tricks!

It would also add to the historical realism, though I imagine anything animation-oriented would be trickier to implement.

#5 - The option of automatic, immediate transfers.

There have been some issues where you get stuck with a squadron that lacks the personnel to carry out any missions, so you don't get the flight hours necessary to make the transfer happen...and then the squadron closes up shop and your career is cut short.

IMO it seems like the option of immediate transfers is the most direct way to ensure this is never an issue, instead of having to go through every individual squadron on a one-by-one basis to make sure there aren't any long-term historical dead-ends.

#6 - The ability to transfer a pilot from Escadrille LaFayette to a US squadron, which several pilots did in real life.

Last edited by AlbrechtKaseltzer; 11/14/21 09:42 PM.
#4585619 - 11/20/21 11:30 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Paroni Offline
Paroni  Offline

Finland
I wish more planes,especially big bombers.They are not need fly a player,Al is enough!

#4586170 - 11/30/21 01:01 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Paroni Offline
Paroni  Offline

Finland
Handley Page 0/400 would be nice.Controlled by Al,would be easier to made in the game!

#4587621 - 12/22/21 10:10 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Brandyn2 Offline
Brandyn2  Offline

It would also be cool to make falling snowflakes

developer tracking software

Last edited by Brandyn2; 12/22/21 10:15 AM.
#4589461 - 01/16/22 03:25 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Thank you for clearing up my confusion about the radiator and cooling system, Pol.

We the regard to the engine damage, I understand about the breakage rules and the progressive damage model for various subsystems. Very nicely done! However, I was mainly concerned with the "robustness" of the engine damage model. Being made mostly out of metal, shouldn't the hit points be a little higher than they are? I see that there is an 80% probability of causing damage when a bullet strike enters the engine damage box area, perhaps that could be tweaked a bit to reflect a greater possibility of ricochets or deflected bullet strikes that don't do much damage to the engine? Unless a critical part is hit (cracked cylinder, broken rocker arm, etc.), shouldn't the engine perform fairly normally until it has taken significant damage? In my experience, most WOFF aircraft lose significant engine power after only a few bullet strikes. Adjusting the values here might result in more challenging dogfights, IMO.

Please don't mind my ramblings on this subject; I understand that I have probably simplified things a bit, and I also realize you are dealing with game code that is almost 20 years old, so there may not be much that can be done without breaking something else. That's why this is in the wishlist thread! Thanks for listening!

No worries the engine already has a base amount of damage it can take before things break built in the code, and nothing at all to do with the XDP value. We especially added that feature since around WOFF 1 code to do that as originally the code took any hit at all and the engine would immediately degrade. Not any more.
Although the engine is mostly solid there are many wires, pipes, seals, rocker arms whatever and other important parts attached all over that a bullet would damage or break and then the engine would fail after a while. Bear in mind any bullet hitting solid metal would likely ricochet around and take out a pipe or something. Also even 1 hit on a rocker arm or other area could put something even slightly out of alignment and then the engine would fail. They told you to aim for the engine or the pilot for good reason. Saying that for sure they could be made tougher or that value % hit reduced more for some more robust engines but it really needs data/facts to back up a change at the moment.

Last edited by Polovski; 01/16/22 03:27 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4589510 - 01/17/22 05:04 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Hey, Pol. I had almost forgotten about this post. Thank you for your response!

I understand that the topic of bullet strikes on an engine leading to eventual engine failure is an extremely complex topic. Both shooter and target are moving, bullet strikes can come in at any angle from extremely shallow to very deep, engines can be either air-cooled or liquid-cooled, upright or in-line, steel is hard but copper is soft, etc.

I like how you changed the percentage chance of a "hit" to the engine from a projectile entering the engine hitbox from 100% to 80%. My suggestion might be to lower that number just a little further, although I entirely agree that more research and an understanding of all of the complex factors involved is needed, and that reasonable minds can still easily disagree about what the "right" number for this figure might be. I guess my main reason for arguing that engine "points" might be increased a bit and/or hit percentages tweaked is that I think the AI gives a better fight if the engine is less easily damaged. On the other hand, no one wants to fight against a flying tank, either, so finding the correct balance is key.

In any event, I trust you have thought about this way more than I have and that you will make any changes if you feel they are necessary. Or, someone could do an engine damage mod, as long as they don't mind changing nearly 1,000 individual .xdp files! Who would be crazy enough to do that, I wonder? biggrin

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4590409 - 01/28/22 07:43 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Following up on my suggestion for the AI's combat maneuvers, is it my imagination or has the AI's maneuvers become a bit "random?" It's hard for me to explain what I mean, but it seems to me that perhaps the AI has too many maneuvers to choose from, meaning that every AI plane has a choice from a wide variety of tactics that may be without regard to the strengths and limitations of the particular aircraft they are flying? Might there be a way to divide AI maneuvers into different maneuver "packages," so that an AI that has been trying to engage in a turning fight doesn't suddenly try and climb away while they are out of energy from the turn? Or, at least make it so the AI doesn't immediately follow one maneuver with another that gives up all advantages from the immediately preceding maneuver? I know this would probably be difficult or impossible to code (at least for me) but it would be great if it could be done.

Also, does the AI get any feedback about whether their current maneuver choice is being successful? Often, it seems to me, the AI quits on a maneuver that may be working for them too soon.

On another note, another cool thing would be if the end of the wings might "flex" a bit while flying, or bend a bit up and down while you are in the air.

#4591662 - 02/15/22 01:15 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob

... I like how you changed the percentage chance of a "hit" to the engine from a projectile entering the engine hitbox from 100% to 80%. My suggestion might be to lower that number just a little further, although I entirely agree that more research and an understanding of all of the complex factors involved is needed, and that reasonable minds can still easily disagree about what the "right" number for this figure might be. I guess my main reason for arguing that engine "points" might be increased a bit and/or hit percentages tweaked is that I think the AI gives a better fight if the engine is less easily damaged. D

Maybe it could be altered, but it is not only the XDP that dictates the damage. I meant we have code that also adjusts any damage on a scale so it really doesn't register anything much for the first hits, and then scales up the more hits taken, eventually each hit registers full damage.

Last edited by Polovski; 02/15/22 01:46 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4591663 - 02/15/22 01:33 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The AI is made up of Novice, Veterans, and Aces. They have different abilities, manoeuvre "effort" they put in, manoeuvres available, and also variable vision skills, morale and fatigue - all this comes into play. They are human-like in that they will also make mistakes and be less predictable compared to most AI out there. Although they often reassess, it may not always be due to just your aircraft, but also friendly and enemy nearby, or perhaps they have lost you visually.

Wings being bendy ... probably not going to happen.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4591819 - 02/16/22 07:29 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

The Belgians!

Maybe in V1.22? biggrin

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4591984 - 02/17/22 11:53 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Hasse]  

Originally Posted by Hasse
The Belgians!

Maybe in V1.22? biggrin

Yes! This please. It would take like 4 squadrons to knock this one out.

#4593174 - 03/03/22 12:15 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
On the Quick Combat screen where you select which enemy you fly against, it would be cool to have a 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918 set of options on the enemy aircraft pull down menu that will randomly pick an enemy aircraft that flew prominently during that year. So if were flying for the Allies and you picked 1915 from the enemy aircraft pull down menu, it would randomly put you against a German aircraft that was flying in 1915. No chance of the Fokker DR, etc. It would be a way for busy folks to sorta feel like that flew a patrol and got some random combat in against the right era of aircraft.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4593211 - 03/03/22 01:32 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hellshade

I would be ok with your suggestion as long as the pull down was optional and the default setting would be the way it is now (all aircraft).

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4593271 - 03/03/22 08:57 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  

Originally Posted by Hellshade
On the Quick Combat screen where you select which enemy you fly against, it would be cool to have a 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918 set of options on the enemy aircraft pull down menu that will randomly pick an enemy aircraft that flew prominently during that year. So if were flying for the Allies and you picked 1915 from the enemy aircraft pull down menu, it would randomly put you against a German aircraft that was flying in 1915. No chance of the Fokker DR, etc. It would be a way for busy folks to sorta feel like that flew a patrol and got some random combat in against the right era of aircraft.

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Hellshade

I would be ok with your suggestion as long as the pull down was optional and the default setting would be the way it is now (all aircraft).

So I really like Hellshade's idea, but I also see Robert Wiggins's concern.

I'd like to see an option for a general patrol, which then sets you up to select a date for the patrol - but have that date menu grayed out for other mission types. (Just like how the enemy aircraft menu is grayed out when you're setting up a free flight).

This way, you get the randomized combat without any inconvenience encroaching up on the pre-existing mission types, AND you also get a chance to practice a general patrol without being in actual campaign mode. (Which really helps in terms of learning all the ropes without putting your precious campaign pilot's life on the line!)

Page 60 of 63 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 63

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM