Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 606 of 608 1 2 604 605 606 607 608
#4581191 - 09/27/21 01:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Thank you for the updates.

With our chief scribe MIA this thread suffers from it and I don't know if I have much news or updates to add except as my grandmother used to say; "No news is good news". We can hope, but in reality we must accept the possibilities you outline Fittop. If our friend is still in the treatment center or some sort of home perhaps it is his wish that we do not know. Some pilots fly into the sunset with no further news. Thanks for staying on the case for such a prolonged period with no response or result to your enquiries. I join you in hoping that he and the family is well

Congrats on the new 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed Oldgrognard.

I recently read a very good book about old W. O. Bentley; "Racing in the Dark" by Peter Grimsdale. W. O. Started out by modifying the engines used in WW 1 fighters, figuring out how to make the pistons in the cylinders more resistant to heat , replacing cast iron with aluminium and lining the components with copper. (Ay least I think that was the gist of it) Thus the heat generated by the combustion would not melt the aluminium as would otherwise have happened. He had to convince a very reluctant Mr. Royce of Rolls.Royce to incorporate his ideas into the the engines the company built on license from French engine manufacturers. These innovations led to greater power and less weight thereby helping countering the Fokker scourge. W. O. actually went to France and talked to the pilots and the engineers in the frontline fighting units. Later engine developments followed over the years and the book makes the argument that the Merlin engines of WW2 were direct descendants of Bentley' pioneering designs and engineering brilliance.

If you can pick it up I recommend it fully.

I have been up to nothing much except the usual stuff; reading, as per the above, tending to the garden, painting a bit of woodwork, and before you get to impressed with me I must stress that my "ranch" is very small, I can get from one end to the other in some 30 seconds flat, - and I have been getting the odd bike ride in, enjoying catching the occasional close encounter with startled deer as I silently rush past them. experiencing them at very close quarters as they cut across the road right in front of me. Closer than any hunter would ever get to a live deer. They are such wonderful animals. And I say hello to the cows, horses, cats, squirrels. I don't tink I've encountered any foxes or wolves.

Come mid-October I'll be spending a weekend celebrating the 40th anniversary of my my brief time with RDAF. Must try to remember if I can snap a few photos for y'all to see.

Last edited by McGonigle; 09/27/21 01:42 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4581601 - 10/01/21 04:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
The Bentley is a replacement for my convertible Jag. Still have the Maserati Spyder and the wife’s KIA Sorrento. The Bentley is the Speed edition with 600 hp. The power is incredible. A good bit faster than the Maserati. I have a history with performance cars, but the first time I floored the Bentley it startled me. Really amazing that such a luxurious car can have that kind of performance.

It is a California owner car and got some top-notch custom work on the infotainment system. Now has high end KENWOOD radio and controls. Built in Garmin Nav, Sirius XM, andApple CarPlay. Custom matched burlwood so it looks factory. Really done properly.

Dark blue exterior with biscuit color interior.

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4572133/my-new-old-car

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4582477 - 10/13/21 05:11 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Here's hoping you have a great reunion, MG.
The last one I went to was in the wonderful city of San Antonio, where I discovered the beauty of the famous River-walk, and some of the best Tex-Mex food to be had.
We did get to the flight line of a training base and had a tour thanks to a star officer in our class.
It was good to see the guys again.

Looking forward to hearing about yours.

Read about your new joy in the Community Hall, OG. Congratulations!

Old Dux, are you still playing music?

#4582765 - 10/17/21 11:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reunion done and dusted. These reunions have a tendency to bring on a bit of retrospection, sort of a time machine of the mind, although memories are already proving spotty and holed like a sieve. Most of the equipment from my time are now museum pieces. I must however stress that I do not go as far back in time as the station, which was bulit by the occypying Nazi forces during WW2.

Before my time, and after VE day, the station has seen Spitfires, Gloster Meteors, Hawker Hunters, F-84's, and during my time the original J-35; the SAAB Draken.

Attached Files IMG_20211016_100822737.jpgIMG_20211016_112114716.jpgIMG_20211016_112311791_HDR.jpgIMG_20211016_112330208_HDR.jpgIMG_20211016_113048550.jpg
Last edited by McGonigle; 10/17/21 11:02 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4583082 - 10/20/21 07:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thank you, McGonigle!
Amazing how some of it brings back memories as if it were yesterday, and another sighting may be amazed at the changes since then; from the approach to the place to the function of it.
The known faces age some yet the smiles are the same or richer.

#4584276 - 11/02/21 08:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

McG always good to reconnect with your past. Makes you remember what you have done and the men you’ve done that with. I regret that I didn’t do better at keeping in touch with some. I didn’t understand back then.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4584281 - 11/02/21 09:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Oldgrognard, "life is lived forwards but understood backwards", as my compatriot Soren Kierkegaard said. I often wish I had as a youth possessed the relative wisdom I have aquired at my age. Much might have been different. If I get the offer of another life, I will make it a condition that I will be reincarnated as a more mature soul.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4585386 - 11/18/21 06:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Not sure if there is much Thanksgiving celebration outside the states.

It did seem that by the time I quit traveling to Europe frequently, (It's been twenty years or so now), Halloween seemed to be catching on in Paris, but not too sure about Thanksgiving.
No reason to, really.

Madrid and Paris seemed busy putting on the fashion and book shows at this time of year.

Everyone is getting ready for the much more popular Christmas.
Around here we are keeping our fingers crossed that the holiday music doesn't get started before the end of November.

Have to admit there were some pretty clever Halloween decorations on some houses.
It was actually a cheerful sight after a pretty serious 2020.

But last year the human and emotional toll was pretty high.
I am hoping the surge of sickness this year stays within expected bounds.

Yep, this guy got a booster and a flu shot.

Meanwhile, I might have to get some new noodles to make some lasagna. Not that crazy about turkey anyway.
Now if only I could get some hot Italian sausage to augment the meat I'd consider the week a success.

#4585526 - 11/19/21 08:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Happy Thanksgiving! You are right Fittop, Thanksgiving is not really a thing in Europe. Here in Denmark we celebrate 4th July because of the Danes who emigrated and left family behind, but the celebrations sadly seem to occupy less and less space in our collective minds, perhaps because the sands of time have erased a few generations now.

Halloween usually meant some kids coming to your door begging for treats but they've been largely absent these last couple of years. Probably due to parents' health anxieties for their children. At last, one postive outcome of this virus situation.

Black Friday however is being expanded to Black Week. Business is always happy to celebrate, if there's a chance of earning some money off the customers.

Most unusually, now follows some information that is actually pertaining to the subject of this forum; the Battle of Britian simulation. I've vacuumed, or Hoovered the innards of my old trusty and neglected PC, making it once again usable and so far stable enough for me to try some simming.

It has been a very long while since I last played this sim. So long that I needed to investigate how to install it in Win 10. Got it in the end and then I found out that my joystick is in dire need of a replacement since it is very jittery and uneven in response to input, but I did lark about in a Spit trying to catch the odd Heinkel or whatever it was, I never got close enough to be able to identify it, even a Stuka I couldn't down.

So now I've ordered a new stick, a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X, a fairly basic unit with a modest amount of footprint on my desktop. Should arrive sometime in the next week.

I'm definitely with you on that hot Italian sausage for the pasta. Just earlier today I had penne and a nice tomato sauce with ground pepper, Jalapenös, red pepper, onions, garlic and of course spiced up with some stock and wine.

Last edited by McGonigle; 11/19/21 08:20 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4587041 - 12/13/21 10:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope that by now you are enjoying simming on your BoB fighter again and the new joystick is working well.
The only BOB I have is the Wings of Victory and never quite got it installed right.

The lasagna family date was cancelled when I came down with a stuffed head. That was not what I wanted to share with family.
OK now, but the lasagna is still on my mind and the components in the freezer.

I have fallen for the Apple mini Mac M1 and have been trying to wrap my head into the Apple system of doing things.
Obviously it means leaving the flight simulation in the Windows machine for now.
But apparently I might have had enough of Windows playing the dumbfuggery factor, or rather me playing it that I thought I better have a back up to it.

But I still miss this forum and jump in. Interruptions came the last time I opened it and I find I never posted.
Time to catch up on Bill Grant's and 33lima's latest.
Meanwhile, you all stay well.

#4587565 - 12/21/21 10:25 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop, The joystick is working very well only I wasn't aware until it arrived that it was non force feed-back. Oh well, it will do me fine anyway. My BoB is BoB 2 Wings of Victory and I've patched it with the W10 patch which is not as comprehensive as the official latest patches but this avoids the dreaded crashes out of 3D to desktop.

I do enjoy the old games. Graphics are of course not as advanced as in today's offerings but I find I enjoy the gameplay of the old games far more than the modern equivalents. The old games seemed to achieve a good balance between gameplay and graphics.

Interesting that you should be falling for the M1 Mini Mac. It is a nice bit of kit although at times very different from Windows. And it comes with some grievances of it's own as well. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. It is extremely quick in comparison to my older rigs.

That day of the year is again almost upon us. The weather forecast promises lots of snow. Let us wait and see if it really is time for a White Christmas this year. I must admit I won't miss the snow shoveling, should we not be so blessed.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4587739 - 12/23/21 11:58 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hello again.
If it follows the pattern established by my birthday earlier this week, I will be rewarded with a lump of coal this year.
Suspicions are then that we will also not be so blessed with a White Christmas.

No weatherman, I can assure the rest of the area can keep the snow shovels stowed.
Sorry to disappoint the younger spirits but even I can forecast that at the expected 83 degrees F. (28 C or so), the only snow facsimile will be the white hair on Santa's beard and yours truly's scalp.
Well, I do enjoy an ice cream cone in the winter, a habit the wife abhors. But she has her good points.

I've never experienced the joy of a force feed-back joystick, for a simulation aircraft; suspect it does add to the enjoyment.

Agreed that the older games do have a nicer balance that brings a smile. I will confess spending a lot of time with the European combat sim and bet the Pacific one had even better action. Even that probably does not compare to the BOB series.

I am still tempted by WOFF and its WWII partner.
It would not be surprising if I find myself dwelling in those wonders this coming year.

It would certainly allow more time for the Virtual Reality items to improve even further.
My closest experience to that has been with some VR pieces in a smart phone trapped in VR goggles and I found those impressive.

One of those had me looking for another SCUBA trip, it woke that memory.

Meanwhile, it is time to wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and a wonderful Holiday Season.
May all your wishes come true. Enjoy!

#4587740 - 12/24/21 12:20 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas a a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Good day for me. I once again passed my flight physical so I can continue to enjoy my force feedback yoke.

Have been doing a good bit of flying. Flew several more youngsters for their first flight. I enjoy sharing my passion with them and enjoy when one of them lights up with wonder and a new found joy in life. I am over thirty now and am shooting for 100. Got a nice congratulations notice from EAA.

Got to fly into JumboLair. That is the private airfield where John Travolta lives. Flying in is by invitation only and I felt honored to be invited. Travolta wasn’t there. Got a good tour of the field and it’s community. Impressive homes and hangars. Made a contact who has a two seat P-51 trainer. He told me that he will take me up in it sometime and we exchanged contact phone numbers. It would be a treat to get up in a Mustang. Besides that, he said he will invite me back when Travolta is there. Said maybe have lunch together. That was a fun day.

I am abundantly blessed in my life and am grateful about it.

I have made it a point this year to be generous to others for Christmas. Gave special gift money to people I deal with often at restaurants, auto shops, trash haulers, and those who take care of my landscaping. COVID has stressed so many while I have been so blessed that I feel obligated to share.

I hope you all feel blessed in your lives.

#4588747 - 01/07/22 06:39 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

My wishes for a Great New Year to oldgrognard, Old Dux, McGonigle and to everyone else that takes a few minutes to keep up with this little corner of flying and related social reading in SimHQ.

Is it too late to add a Christmas Greeting too? Apparently I am still in December.
I did treat myself to more scenery for Prepar3D and FSX.
My machine is too old to support the New MS Flight Simulator.

I am thankful that oldgrognard supports and shares his love of aviation with others.
I do admire the man.
(No, no need to blush, OG,) grin. There is a story behind my comment.

There was a man in my area that did the same.
A fellow (if just very few years older) grad of my school and also an Air Force veteran, I had not met him until I got to work with him years later.
He was probably the best pilot I had the pleasure of flying with, and a heck of a nice man.

Only later did I find he was an American National Acrobatic champion.

My regret is that I never took the time to drive 55 minutes and support his efforts in flying folks around who needed fast transportation for medical purposes and other worthy causes.
I would not doubt he also helped other young ones into aviation.
I have explanations for my lack of action on this, but no real excuses.

He has Gone West now, a few years ago; but I am still here wondering if I am in decent shape to pass a flying medical.

I'd probably be wise to fly with a flying observer and I'd be tempted to get one of the new diesel fuel beauties I love to push around my new Orbx scenery...

See? Dreams don't stop when you tuck those old wings into your desk drawer.
Happy New Year, y'all. Make this year count for the good.

#4589923 - 01/23/22 12:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Just passing by to say that I enjoyed your fine post very much Fittop. In the words of the poet; Regrets, I've had a few...

Not much to report from here I'm afraid, just waiting for springlike weather. At the moment it seems it is either very windy or very grey and wet.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4591017 - 02/07/22 12:21 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Good story Fittop. Like you I have a couple of those “I wish I had” possibilities with men ahead of me that I didn’t seize. I also wish I had kept in touch with some of those I served with. So busy “doing” that I didn’t realize some of the special people I came in contact with.

Thank you for those kind words Fittop. I appreciate them.

Was going to fly this weekend and found I had a pretty significant fuel leak. The cold weather will sometimes shrink on O-ring and allow some seepage, but this was a true leak. My A&P found that my emergency fuel cut-off valve was the culprit and when he removed it found the interior O-ring was the problem. He doesn’t have the jig necessary to service it, so I found a used one online. Hopefully it doesn’t leak. I am supposed to fly more Young Eagles this coming weekend and would hate to be grounded. Means the other pilots would have to do more flight rotations and the whole day would proceed more slowly. The used one should be here Tuesday and the A&P will replace it on Wednesday. Then will fuel the plane and watch for leak. Thursday will test fly it to make sure it passes flight. If all is well will fly kids on Saturday morning. If it leaks I will have to send the unit in to McFarland for a rebuild. That will not only cost time but $850.

We had a freeze here that damaged a lot of my more delicate plants. So springtime will see me out doing a lot POF pruning and cutting back of damaged shoots. The good side of it is that it causes the plants to put off more shoots so the plants are actually fuller and healthier. One darn freeze night in a year. Froze my planes O-ring and a lot of plants.

And that’s what happened.

#4591249 - 02/10/22 03:18 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Well, my time schedule is all screwed-up. It is Wednesday and the valve hasn’t arrived. That means at best it will be here at 3pm tomorrow. My A&P says he will get on it right away, but I always fear that things happen. So I’m really thinking installation will be Friday. I will fuel and check for leak. Then test fly. But I won’t be satisfied until it has sat overnight. That puts me right up against Saturday morning flying of the kids. I will not fly anyone until I am sure. I’m expecting it will be OK, but as always plan for the worst.

My fingers are crossed.

#4591273 - 02/10/22 02:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

Been through a time of various illnesses and several bereavements over the last few months since late October.
Contracted a virus in late November. Nothing to do with Covid-19 but it nearly saw me off. Couldn't get out of my armchair or walk upstairs without assistance. Feet swelled up blood red and I couldn't take food for over a week.
Just drank Lucozade and water. Finally, a one week course of extra strong antibiotics got me on the mend but it took about 3 weeks before getting back to any thing like normal.

Then two weeks ago I had dizziness and vomiting from both ends for several days which I put down to food poisoning of some sort.

On the bright side - I have bought an electric bike and after 10 miles decided to fit the throttle this morning. Looking forward to getting around the hills and dales of Derbyshire as it gets milder.

Onward and upward...Per Ardua Ad Astra. smile

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4591343 - 02/11/22 03:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Well Old Dux, seems you went through a bit of a struggle with Mother Nature. Seems she laid a a couple of good shots on you but we’re glad to hear she didn’t put you down and you can now go a few more rounds. Did you lose some weight at least ?

What kind of electric bike did you get ? They are nice, but don’t seem to be perfected for longevity. Battery packs seem to be the main culprit.

#4591386 - 02/11/22 03:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

So glad to learn that you are still amongst us Dux, here in the forum and in general. I had a bit of flu in December but nothing that couldn't be fixed by staying home and a couple of days on painkillers to stop the madmen from sticking their broadbladed swords and knives into the right side of my skull and my right shoulder.

An electric bike should give you quite the range to zoom about the countryside proclaiming yourself to all the laidies to be; "Dux, .......Old Dux." burnout

Last week I went to visit a local car museum and I snapped some 90 pictures. Here are just a few examples of cars from either side of the pond.

Attached Files IMG_20220203_123700421_HDR.jpgIMG_20220203_130718670_HDR.jpgIMG_20220203_134427288_HDR.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 606 of 608 1 2 604 605 606 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.