Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4589902 - 01/22/22 08:34 PM How to identify squadron mates in air  
truezzL Offline
truezzL  Offline

Schweiz
Hi guys!

I came back to BH&H just lately after quite a long hiatus. I also bought WOTR and I like it a lot.

When playing WOTR I noticed that all my flight members are using distinctive skins (the number on their planes are different for every ally). I can't remember but was this not the case in WOFF UE/PE?

I installed the skin packs 1-5 and i thought this would allow me to distinguish my flight members but every member of my squadron has exactly the same skin (except HA). Did I make a mistake when I installed the skin packs 1-5?

Is there an easy way to assign custom skins to my squadmates?

Thank you for any input on my question and have a nice day!

#4589910 - 01/23/22 02:08 AM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I don't think so. Most people just turn labels on briefly. Or you can request a transfer into one of those cracker-jack squadrons where everyone's an ace! thumbsup

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4589914 - 01/23/22 06:20 AM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
truezzL,

What side are you flying? What year? Generally speaking, individual "skins" are fairly rare for Allied planes, especially the British, throughout the war. German planes will also tend to look the same, at least early in the war.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4589925 - 01/23/22 01:56 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
If you fly with the TAC on, your squad is green when in range (about one nautical mile), other friendlies are blue, and the enemy is red. As I implied you must be within a certain range for the colors to show up.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4589926 - 01/23/22 02:07 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

In WOFF squadron members get the squadron skin. Aces, and historical pilots, who have a skin made and suitable for that year and aircraft type, may get that assigned in your flight and maybe in other flights too friendly and enemy (depends on many factors).
WOTR has unique skins for every member of your flight.

Last edited by Polovski; 01/23/22 02:07 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4589935 - 01/23/22 03:49 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Absolutely. What I meant is that from a distance, the markings may look very similar, at least before they start to become more garish later in the war.

Carry on!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4589942 - 01/23/22 07:17 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
truezzL Offline
truezzL  Offline

Schweiz
thank you guys for your answers.

I see there is no individual skin for every flightmember. So I'll have to switch on labels to see you could confirm my kill. I don't get too many and I would love to have them confirmed ;-)

I just thought it looks kind of strange sometimes (for example RAF46 - iirc - with the Sopwith Pup in April 1917 and every flight member has a 3 on the fuselage, made me think that this was a personal skin not a squadron skin).

Therefore I thought that maybe I messed something up by installing the skinpacks.

#4589944 - 01/23/22 07:48 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
truezzL,

I see you are from Switzerland. My great-great-great grandfather emigrated from Switzerland in 1847. I think he came from the village of Andermatt. When my parents visited 30 years ago, the local restaurant thought he had stolen the identity of a local citizen because they had the exact same name!

#4589947 - 01/23/22 08:25 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
truezzL Offline
truezzL  Offline

Schweiz
Yeah, there were a lot of people leaving Switzerland at this time. Some regions here were really poor and held no future for it's inhabitants so they left (mostly to the USA).

:-D I can imagine your parents being suspected of idendity theft. Some people here don't know / can't imagine that there were times when we "fled" the country. Where did they go to when they were here?

If you ever want to do some research on your swiss roots let me know if i can help you out!

#4589950 - 01/23/22 09:50 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by truezzL

So I'll have to switch on labels to see you could confirm my kill. I don't get too many and I would love to have them confirmed ;-)

In my experience, WOFF doesn't care if you accurately list the correct witness; just select any witness that was in your flight and all will be fine. The pending claim will typically show a note something to the effect of 'probable, witness was in the players flight', indicating to me that "the witness being in your flight" is the key criteria. The algorithm is probably not so fancy as to keep track of which pilots were close to you when you downed an enemy, as that would require major programming.

#4589960 - 01/24/22 05:32 AM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
AlbrechtKaseltzer Offline
AlbrechtKaseltzer  Offline

I see there is no individual skin for every flightmember. So I'll have to switch on labels to see you could confirm my kill. I don't get too many and I would love to have them confirmed ;-)

I just thought it looks kind of strange sometimes (for example RAF46 - iirc - with the Sopwith Pup in April 1917 and every flight member has a 3 on the fuselage, made me think that this was a personal skin not a squadron skin).

Therefore I thought that maybe I messed something up by installing the skinpacks.

Rule #1 for identifying squadron mates: be German.

I also find it really helps to stick with a squadron for a good long while, get accustomed to your squad mates in the Duty Room so that they feel more "real" as people / as characters. Then they'll stick in your mind better when you turn on the labels at take-off, and it will be reasonably easier to keep track of your squad mates in the air from that point on.

At least that's how I do it. I even make up mini plot arcs for some of the AI-generated pilots - and it's kinda sad how much I've gotten to know about the real pilots of the RNAS squadrons.

In terms of getting stuff confirmed, I find it also really helps if you can make note of the location and any ground witnesses on your side: observation balloons, ground units, sector HQ etc. At least, that's what I do and it seems to work - I've had some kills where I had no witnesses from my squadron (#%&*$# Albies took down my flight mate), but I still got in on the strength of observation balloons and ground units.

#4590018 - 01/24/22 04:24 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Yeah, there were a lot of people leaving Switzerland at this time. Some regions here were really poor and held no future for it's inhabitants so they left (mostly to the USA).

:-D I can imagine your parents being suspected of idendity theft. Some people here don't know / can't imagine that there were times when we "fled" the country. Where did they go to when they were here?

If you ever want to do some research on your swiss roots let me know if i can help you out!

Thanks! Unfortunately, my parents only had a day or two in Switzerland. I believe they were in Lucerne, passed through Andermatt for lunch, and ended up near or in Bern.

Thank you for your offer about genealogy. I may take you up on that! Sadly, my great-great-great grandfather's story has a sad and ironic ending. After ending up in or near Knoxville, Tennessee and living as a farmer, he was shot and killed by soldiers sometime in November of 1863 during the battle of Knoxville. Family lore is that he was shot for refusing to let Union soldiers steal one of his cows, but I believe he was more likely killed by a sniper on either the Union or Confederate side. His farm happened to be roughly midway between the Union and Confederate lines. The land where his farm was located is now the Knoxville country club! Ironic he was killed during a civil war after leaving Switzerland because of religious strife! He should have stayed there!

#4590047 - 01/24/22 07:45 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
truezzL Offline
truezzL  Offline

Schweiz
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob

Thanks! Unfortunately, my parents only had a day or two in Switzerland. I believe they were in Lucerne, passed through Andermatt for lunch, and ended up near or in Bern.

Thank you for your offer about genealogy. I may take you up on that! Sadly, my great-great-great grandfather's story has a sad and ironic ending. After ending up in or near Knoxville, Tennessee and living as a farmer, he was shot and killed by soldiers sometime in November of 1863 during the battle of Knoxville. Family lore is that he was shot for refusing to let Union soldiers steal one of his cows, but I believe he was more likely killed by a sniper on either the Union or Confederate side. His farm happened to be roughly midway between the Union and Confederate lines. The land where his farm was located is now the Knoxville country club! Ironic he was killed during a civil war after leaving Switzerland because of religious strife! He should have stayed there!

Wow that's sad. Civil wars are always especially brutal. I'm not an expert on the American Civil War but I read a book or two about it. Just let me know if you need anything and I'll see if I can help you. Lucerne and Berne are very nice cities. 1-2 days is a short time but I guess they had a least a first impression.

Last edited by truezzL; 01/24/22 07:45 PM.
#4590062 - 01/24/22 10:39 PM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Dear Buckeye,

I spent three years in a boarding school in Switzerland (Canton Zug) between 1968 and 1971 and came to love the place like a second home – only more scenic than the real one. Here are a few random photos from your family's long-ago hometown of Andermatt. The first two were taken way back in 2009, when my wife and I stopped there and took a long walk into the hills after lunch. The next two were taken in 2011 when a Swiss friend with an incredible collection of vintage cars invited us and another couple to join them for a couples' rally (not a competitive rally – just organized drinking and driving). I took that last photograph because the building in it was used as a headquarters by Russian Field Marshal Suvarov during the Battle of the Gotthard Pass in 1799.

Cheers,

Raine

Attached Files 100_0924.JPG100_0926.JPGAndermatt 1.jpgAndermatt 2.jpg
#4590329 - 01/28/22 12:41 AM Re: How to identify squadron mates in air [Re: truezzL]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Beautiful pictures, Raine. I see you have been lucky enough to visit Andermatt twice!

The only things I received from my parent's trip was a postcard and a bar of Swiss chocolate! Of course, at that time, I was not really into family genealogy, so I wasn't particularly upset at not being able to go. Now, I would love to see the place firsthand. I would also like to see Stauber falls, which is located in the same Canton. My surname is Staub, meaning dust, and the falls apparently means dusty or misty falls. I don't think it means dirty falls, though! I imagine that my ancestors were either bakers, undertakers, or poor as dirt. That may have been why they left!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans