Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4589712 - 01/20/22 02:41 AM Is my computer adequate?  
ShadowOfGod Offline
ShadowOfGod  Offline

Please note: I wanted this game for years. Finally when I semi-retired and had some money, I bought a refurbished computer the person at the shop assured me was adequate for the specifications listed on the WOFF. Now, I'm not sure.

Yesterday, I was flying my Caldron over the Alsace front, when a machine I was flying got hit by a bullet for the first time (probably ground fire). Immediately my program went into "spin" mode which wouldn't resolve. If I exited the program, I got an icon, which if I hit it allowed my mission to continue. I then got back to base, landed the plane, but when I hit "exit mission" everything disappeared and now it's like I didn't fly the mission.

Attached is an image of my computer's specifications. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attached Files -.png
#4589713 - 01/20/22 03:04 AM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: ShadowOfGod]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Shadow;

I'm sure your questions will be answered by some of us here, but first we need to understand more clearly what the problem is.

You used the term "spin mode" which really doesn't clearly identify what was going on at the time.

It would also be nice to see the log files right after the crash occurred. You could zip them up and send them off to OBD support as identified in the F.A.Q document.

I would also like to add that the system specs you provided don't provide enough information to help us here. The CPU speed seems fine and the memory quantity is more than sufficient but you do not specify your graphics card specs. see the specifications below below taken directly from the WOFF F.A.Q document::

Minimum System Specifications;
CPU: Intel 2.9 GHz CPU Speed or higher. NVidia Graphics card, 660 GTX or above. 1.5GB or more of GPU
on the card. We do not recommend ATI/AMD GPUs currently:
PC Memory: 6GB RAM or higher.
A PC Joystick is required preferably with twist option for rudder control.
Direct X 9 must be installed (see section 2a below for step-by-step).
We recommend you close all possible background tasks, AV scanners etc.
Read through the FAQ section 2a for more details on installing DirectX and elsewhere for other help. Note
to run with a lower system specification, using lower graphic settings in Workshop – see section 15 and
others for help optimizing.

Recommended System Specifications;
CPU: Intel 3.6+ GHz CPU or higher. Core speed and cache performance is most important. Multi-core will
only help speed slightly.
GPU: Nvidia 970 GTX or higher for best performance with more than 2GB VIDEO RAM. High resolutions
like 3440x1400 or 4K will likely require 1080 GTX or higher depending on system and settings.
We do not recommend AMD/ATI graphics cards currently.
Memory: 8GB PC RAM or higher.
A PC Joystick is required preferably with twist option for rudder control. Optional rudder pedals can help
immersion and control.
Direct X 9 must be installed (see section 2a below for step-by-step).
Please don’t assume you have it installed already, and if Windows tells you that you do not need it, please
ignore that and install it anyway! We cannot stress this enough. Please install it.
TrackIR or other compatible head tracking is very recommended for total immersion - much easier to track
enemies, watch your back and see the lower cockit much easier for instruments and dials.
https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Keep us posted with any further data you can gather and I'm sure we will get to the bottom of the issue.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4589718 - 01/20/22 09:39 AM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: ShadowOfGod]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome.

As Robert says,

No idea what spin mode is? Post the actual first error you see, and we may be able to help.

Also " If I exited the program, I got an icon, which if I hit it allowed my mission to continue." unfortunately makes no sense to me. If you quit it quits. It doesn't let you quit flying then return to the same mission flying (unless you mean you returned to the WOFF manager interface and had another mission to fly which was similar?).

The last 2 pages of the WOFF BH&H II FAQ (found on the support page, on our website) also tell you how to go about reporting an error properly if it is not covered already in the FAQ.
Please do NOT post log files here.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4589799 - 01/21/22 03:58 AM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: ShadowOfGod]  
ShadowOfGod Offline
ShadowOfGod  Offline

I flew a couple missions today and things went OK...by spin mode I meant the "Loading" screen came up, with the blue swirl that never resolved itself. I'll keep everyone posted.

#4589913 - 01/23/22 06:14 AM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: ShadowOfGod]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I think Shadow may be referring to the rundll32.exe problem that causes some computers to hang when starting a mission. For me, it happens the first time I try to run BHaH2 after I have rebooted my computer. Terminating the program and starting it again always fixes it for me, until I shut down and restart my computer again! A supposed fix for this problem can be found on page 56 of the FAQ document available at http://www.overflandersfields.com

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4589927 - 01/23/22 02:10 PM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

BuckeyeBob the fix does work, for most. BTW yours also sounds like the aircraft bdps are being generated each time which can cause a hang. If you have mods that change aircraft or xdps etc that could be happening.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4589933 - 01/23/22 03:45 PM Re: Is my computer adequate? [Re: ShadowOfGod]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thanks, Mark.

It doesn't happen every time I fly, but only after a computer restart. I have tried the fix mentioned in the FAQ, but for some reason, it doesn't "stick." No biggie, though, it just takes another minute or so to exit and try again. I don't think I have any .xdp mods running, but I could be wrong about that.

Hopefully, this will help Shadow out, though!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.