Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4589239 - 01/13/22 03:10 PM M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold.  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
afternoon all,

I've recently got M1TP2 (wanted something different from flt sims n sub warfare), is steel beasts gold worth getting or is it not that much different from m1tp2? I'm not coughing up over £150 or so just for 1 game (SB Pro).....

t.i.a

"What join the Regiment.....?! nah I'll run them over n if that doesn't work then I'll shoot at them,cpl"

"But I'm a lover not a fighter cpl."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4589260 - 01/13/22 05:20 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
is steel beasts gold worth getting or is it not that much different from m1tp2?

Yes, of course, SB Gold and then further SB2ProPE is better in possible all aspects except for easy access, simplicity, and fast and surprisingly smooth and satisfying gameplay.
By the same token, comparing them side by side does not make too much sense.
One is over 20yrs older than the other and I dare say not fully finished. M1TP3 was clearly in the plans and hopes of the developers, but that dream was cut short by financial realities.

Last edited by Polak; 01/13/22 07:39 PM.
#4589264 - 01/13/22 05:27 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
To make my previous comment more elaborate here are the takes from the guy who knew tanking rather well and played them then 20yrs ago .

Anti-Plato
Member # 6481  posted 01-08-2001 03:49 PM                   

I just really started trying to play it. Here is my take:
All missions just boil down to attack or defend, which in practice really means there is just one, and that is attack. On defense missions, I simply pull back my supporting elements and hide them somewhere throughout the battle and send my tank platoon straight up the map. Eventually we stumble onto a reinforced motorized rifle battalion, which we annihilate. And that's all there is to it, since the very short arty splash times means to stay in one place and defend is suicidal. And the defense-in-depth, contrary to all the banter in the manual about strategy, is pointless. To retreat to a better firing position means to expose your rear armor to the enemy, who doesn't really do anything too aggressive anyway, except sit there and engage at long range.

Steel Beasts often gets hammered for lack of air units, but in this game, they serve no real purpose other than target shooting. Enemy and friendly air resources get routinely shot out of the sky. When I first saw two Su-25's and a Hind 24 circling about me, I nearly soiled myself. However, it didn't take me long to figure out that the M1 is a very effective mobile armored air defense weapon as well. Air units simply offer themselves as a sacrifice at the engagement ranges of every ground unit in the vicinity and circle lazily as if taking their girlfriends out for a pleasant ride.
Furthermore, I was amazed at how invulnerable the M1 is to the weapons on these aircraft. As a further comparison to SB, there is almost no feedback when your tank is hit. It doesn't jolt or rock or anything. It feels like wearing a suit of armor when some kid is throwing paper airplanes at the player. It's also hard to know who gets killed in the tank.

The thermal sights in SB are much better graphically. The missing raster lines in the display look very authentic in particular. In contrast, the thermal view in M1TP2 is just plain flat and ugly. The colors look exaggerated. When rockets are coming toward the player, they look rather cartoonish. The actual vehicle models look nice, but they aren't animated as well in most areas as SB, although they do have moving caterpillars. There are almost no quiet kills, and T-72's simply vaporize the same way every time they are killed. There is no dust or dirt kicked up at all.

The sky is refreshing. I like seeing the oil fires on the horizon, the overcast skies over eastern Europe, the haze on the horizon, and the night battles. The best reason for me to play this game is for gazing at the atmosphere.

I am having a hard time simply trying to get the game to work right. Maybe because I am running Direct 8X and the program doesn't appreciate the new graphic cards, but I have to reinstall the game every time I want to play because the opening menu always blacks out between sessions when I go out to Windows and then come back. The Direct 3D option gives me exquisite-looking vehicle models, but the terrain is always a neon green, flat soup. It is positively ghastly to look at, so I have to play in software render or in Glide, which do not look any different to each other. Speaking of which, does anyone know what happens if you go back and load an older version of Direct X? I've been too afraid of trying this.

The sounds are booming. They are different than SB's, but just as effective for what they are, but the more subtle, esoteric sounds are missing, like the turret brake.

Weapons effects are dull and cartoonish in general. They look too futuristic and contrived, without all the nice ricochets and sparks found in SB.

The desert terrain looks good, the color palette is better than SB's, but there aren't as many details like shrubs or a desert oasis; nor are there any dramatic hills or dunes in the terrain engine.

The desert skies look much better than SB's; they aren't as pretty and blue and have a nice, dirty horizon. The European terrain in SB wins out easily, but the houses and structures look better in M1TP2, and aren't depicted as that same red barn graphic.

I'll continue to play both games, but for different reasons. Since I played SB before I ever got to M1TP2, the latter is a newer experience for me, and so I'm busier with it at the moment. I guess when the pretty graphics wear off, there's really not much game there, since the sole advantage gameplay wise was supposed to be the dynamic campaigns, but the predictable and passive AI all but negates this advantage. As aws mentioned above, this game is best for that firing from the hip urge we get from time to time.

Anti-Plato
Member # 6481
The infantry are abstracted and resemble the infantry in Panzer Commander. True, there are individual soldiers per se, but they behave like a clustered unit that just sits there as one entire body, like the infantry gun crews and light pillboxes in Panzer Commander or in Gunship 2000.
The infantry "fences" in M1TP2 look and act like cutout targets taken from a shooting range except that they occasionally fire an ATGM at the player.

I find that there really are no mission profiles other than hasty attacks. Even on the defense, you have no real choice other than to scrimmage forward. Driving in reverse or retreating to a better firing position or defensive line just exposes the rear armor of your platoon to the enemy. Your platoon mates aren't too
smart not to do this. And how does the enemy know where your starting position is at the beginning of each battle? Immediately you have to go on the defensive, or move your units in some obscure location because a huge artillery barrage awaits you at the start of every mission. See my next comment.

Because of the limited mission profiles, this game seems to play out exactly the same in every mission, no matter what (except that terrain features sometimes shake things up a bit enough to keep them refreshing and interesting). The incredibly short artillery times cements the game to a very narrow formula and scope. You must constantly stay on the move because artillery is called in on your position every thirty seconds if you sit still. So you must move forward, essentially putting you on the attack, because to take a stand or move backward is suicidal. The AI drivers in the platoon constantly get hug upon each other and bang around when a change of formation is ordered (they are also very good at getting stuck in bogs. They always reverse with their rear areas facing the enemy. On the other hand, this constantly charging forward with guns blazing can be interesting if taken for what it is. It is certainly very frantic, if not altogether action-packed; however, as a serious treatment of armored warfare, it can't be taken too seriously, because very few battlefield tactics actually seem to hold much water in this game.

It's essentially your platoon (and if you are fortunate enough to get assigned a supporting M1 platoon, so much the better) against the armies that any dictator can muster; your few supporting platoons will get wiped out immediately if you try to use them. You have to perpetually stay on the map screen moving them around so they don't stay in place long enough (about 10-30 seconds)to get an arty strike called in on them. On the other hand, if you micromanage them in this matter, you are neglecting your own platoon's situation. Support aircraft are best used as expendable scouts; they WILL get shot down on regular intervals as the rule rather than the exception. Enemy aircraft are just as useless. Their SU25's shoot green laser bolts using really awful Kentucky Windage, and even if they connect, I have never been so much as scratched by one. Shooting them down is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.
Weapons effects are strange. Whether using the .50 cal or main gun, I feel like I am shooting slow-moving suns and stars at everything. Only the coax tracers in Panzer Commander looked worse. However, that isn't to say they don't look bad in M1 either.

Actually, yes, so to answer the question I do play it, but only in the desert theaters. This avoids the clunky forest blocks and ridiculous advantage in material that the old Warsaw Pact Forces get in the European scenarios. Also, the desert terrain looks much better here than in Steel Beasts, which I play for every other reason.

Last edited by Polak; 01/13/22 05:30 PM.
#4589273 - 01/13/22 06:15 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

You can try ProPE by using a short timed license if you don't want to go straight for a persistent one on dongle and paid upgrades on a 24ish month cycle. (The 5-6 year cost works out about the same either way, but with a residual product at a fixed 'obsolescent' upgrade point with a persistent licence - or a permanently up to date product which you can subscribe to in any period which suits you - but which is unavailable in the intervals between the licensing periods if you don't keep it permanently - but no ridiculous 'can't terminate subscription' nonsense.

Licenses can also be network shared - including across the internet, so you might be able to pick up a seat to test it if you can find someone with the familiarity with the requirements and the spare license.

I rate M1TP2 below SB Gold, and ProPE significantly above it, but the latter really shines in MP games - I am a little out of date though, as I don't currently have SB Gold or Pro installed, so some of the newer additions I haven't seen.

#4589319 - 01/14/22 11:52 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
thanks for the gen people, think I will be buying SBG next then......

"What join the Regiment.....?! nah I'll run them over n if that doesn't work then I'll shoot at them,cpl"

#4589320 - 01/14/22 11:59 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
In my experience, Anti-plato's observations are spot on as regards a description of the many frustrating limitations of individual missions in M1TP2, but somewhat one-sided, in that they don't cover M1TP2's (admittedly secondary) strong points like the included variety of (sort of) dynamic campaigns, complete with 'MPS News' intros and out-tros, and the crew management facility. I hated in particular the near-instant Red arty deluges and the resultant need to hide or micro-manage non-MBT units who would otherwise get wiped out.

I had the original SB (haven't been able to get it to play on my PC due to having a very low screen res, even by the standards of the time) and as I told Ssnake at the time, I thought it could have done a better job by focusing gameplay on the role of the platoon commander. As it stood, it was a bit like SABOW, a map-based wargame in which you played the force commander or drop into the gunner's or TC's seat of any playable AFV. there were (and AFAIK are, in SB Pro PE) no campaigns in SB, apart from non-dynamic, user-made scripted mission sets. Original SB's environments were primitive apart from forests you could drive through, with no field defences or battlefield airpower and 'cookie-cutter' infantry. The representation of actual tanking was excellent, including individual tanks 'watching their arcs' in the different formations and automatically 'jockeying' back and forward (but not to the side IIRC) when in a hull-down fire position. IIRC like in M1TP2 the SB player had to plot their own arty shoots, instead of designating targets for an accompanying forward observer, the default method.

I would doubtless have bought the one-time planned but not proceeded with 'consumer' version of what became SB Pro - provided it ditched the expensive licensing and DRM models. SABOW ( https://combatace.com/forums/topic/85814-steel-armor-blaze-of-war/ , see also Slippery_Rat's tutorials in this very forum) reminds me a lot of original SB in terms of gameplay except with vastly better graphics and environments, and seems to be to be (in its different way, and unfortunately without a NATO-WARPC theatre) an equally realistic tank sim compared to SB Pro PE, also rolled up inside a force-commander-level wargame (but with the advantage of including several dynamic campaigns).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2015_03_08_22_21_22_0012.jpgshot_2015_04_04_19_29_21_0004.jpgshot_2015_04_11_20_44_37_0005.jpgshot_2015_10_06_21_10_05_0003.jpgshot_2015_06_05_15_12_27_0017.jpgshot_2015_05_06_20_38_27_0039.jpgshot_2015_05_05_22_59_41_0006.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/14/22 12:13 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4589346 - 01/14/22 04:38 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Don´t know why, or maybe I do, I guess because It´s a Soviet tank but Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command (T-72 Balkans On Fire) never gets mentioned when a tank sim arises In a forum. I always found it to be quite a complete tank sim, at times even better then some In the market.

Steam:
Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command Steam store
For less then a fiver you really don´t have much to lose except learning to drive it!

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4589392 - 01/14/22 11:42 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
In one sentence each of the modern tank simulations:

* M1TP2 is where all really started 20+ years ago, very promising (AI and Gunship!->M1TP3 saga) never really finished (the market was not big enough for both M1TP2 and SB so MPS VIPs decided to fold).

* SBGold has great single and multi gameplay and indeed poor graphics detracting from the overall positive experience.

* Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command - sorry, but that is not something I would risk my time on (the price is <5 bucks on Steam now which is kind of warning!)

* SBProPE is positively the greatest of them all and yet unappealing maybe because is so real! (?)

* SABOW was so far totally overlooked by me and Graviteam's reputation should be recommendation enough. I will follow and research this title more closely while waiting for the Steam spring sale. Thank you 33lima for the heads up here!

Last edited by Polak; 01/14/22 11:44 PM.
#4589397 - 01/15/22 12:49 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: Polak]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Originally Posted by Polak
In one sentence each of the modern tank simulations:

* M1TP2 is where all really started 20+ years ago, very promising (AI and Gunship!->M1TP3 saga) never really finished (the market was not big enough for both M1TP2 and SB so MPS VIPs decided to fold).

* SBGold has great single and multi gameplay and indeed poor graphics detracting from the overall positive experience.

* Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command - sorry, but that is not something I would risk my time on (the price is <5 bucks on Steam now which is kind of warning!)

* SBProPE is positively the greatest of them all and yet unappealing maybe because is so real! (?)

* SABOW was so far totally overlooked by me and Graviteam's reputation should be recommendation enough. I will follow and research this title more closely while waiting for the Steam spring sale. Thank you 33lima for the heads up here!

I don´t judge a game by It´s price or graphics.

These are not expensive but still very good...

- Panzer Elite

- Steel Fury

To say SBPRoPE Is unappealing because maybe It´s to realistic depends on what your looking for In a tank sim.

But hey, we all have our own opinions don´t we.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4589398 - 01/15/22 01:08 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Speaking of which...

Mod:
T-72 Tank Command Gastello mod

Red

#4589456 - 01/16/22 01:34 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Originally Posted by Red2112
Speaking of which...

Mod:
T-72 Tank Command Gastello mod

Red

Forgot to say that personally I don´t understand or know what language they speak In the mod forum, but you can always use Google Translator, that´s what I do In cases like this.

Edit: It´s In Russian. Any how, here´s the first and second post translated with Google...

What's new in the game:

According to the chart:
-Landscape mesh made using Geometry Clipmaps technology.
-Made the generation of the overlay mask of detailed landscape textures based on the array of materials.
-Completely redesigned lighting system.
- Rendering of almost all objects in the game (with the exception of the interface and fonts) has been moved to the native system.
-Added directional light sources (headlights, night vision lights).
- Changed z-buffer recording to linear (objects far from the camera flickered strongly), the scene display range became a little more than 8 km.
-Added cascading shadows.
-Restriction on the size of textures in 1024x1024 has been removed.
-Made grass rendering using geometric instancing.
-For vehicles, the ability to display translucent surfaces (glass) has been introduced, a material map has been added (the degree of light reflection).
-Most vehicle models have been changed.

For physics:
-Changed positions at the centers of mass of vehicles.
-Changed the ballistics of shells, selected aerodynamics (not everything has been completed yet), penetration has become closer to real.

Miscellanea:
-I made my own sights manager, range input by mouse scroll rotation.
-The multiplicity of sights now correspond to the real ones.
-Sight markings in "thousandths" can now be used to determine the range.
-Implemented the work of TPD-K1 with the possibility of manual adjustment.
-The T-55 removed the laser rangefinder and automatic input of corrections.
-The horizontal stabilizer T-55 is now forced to turn on when the vertical stabilizer is turned on.
-Visual and collision models are now separated (allowed to remove attachments that give unpredictable results and the booking map now cannot "leave" due to editing the visual model).

Well, and a lot of something else that I don't remember Smiley

Installing the mod.

You can download it from the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iUNF_FWABWanVlYUxocE9uY00/view?usp=sharing.
Create a copy of the game. The archive contains the "T-72" folder, and it already contains what needs to be copied to the root directory of the game, replacing the original files. For normal operation, you need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29
and DirectX 9 (June 2010):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
If under Windows 10 there are problems with launching the menu, there is a menu.ca file in the archive, they need to replace the file in the CACHE folder.
Since in the mod instead of the T-34 the Leopard became controlled, the first two levels will not work, so you need to unpack the archive into the game folder, which can be downloaded from the link: goo.gl/dh7G6W. These are the level files, where the T-34 is replaced by the T-55, everything will work.
Do not forget to set the actual screen resolution for your system by running the cfg.bat file.

Features of the Steam version.

The Steam version is installed first. Then you can install the crack: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943199973, since the version is supplied in English. Then you need to delete the tga file from the DATA\textures\interf folder, otherwise the interface will not display correctly.

Compatibility issues.

Under Windows 8, the game may not start if there is no DirectX file in the BIN folder. Accordingly, you need to download it from the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iUNF_FWABWcGdCSjM3RUNGcjQ/view?usp=sharing and install it in the BIN folder of the game.

There is a problem with some video cards in the mod. The game loads up to 100% and crashes. The problem is related to the fact that not all video cards support rendering to an L8 texture format. You can check if your video card will work with the mod as follows: find the OUT folder in the root directory (if the folder does not exist, you need to create it and start the game again). The folder should contain the render_caps.log file, it contains the Formats section, where there is an L8 field. If there is no rentrg opposite L8, then the mod, unfortunately, will not start.
For Intel video cards, the manufacturer has added the ability to render to the L8 texture in the drivers, so the mod will be launched after they are updated from the official website.

--

Just in case, I will transfer the message on level generation from "Dry", maybe it will come in handy.

How to create your own cards based on ready-made ones, it will be easier this way:
1. Initially, you will need a height map that can be created in an editor, such as Terragen 2. The texture must be 256 colors, resolution no higher than 1024x1024, a multiple of a power of two.
2. In the Data folder (at the root of the game) create a textures folder, in it a lands folder. Place the heightmap there and rename it to su1polygons.bmp.
3. Copy the finished level (file with *.ca extension), rename (let's say my_level.ca). In the Levels folder, create the my_level folder.
4. Open mission editor (ME), load my_level.ca.
5. In ME level->environment, find the level directory item, enter our path - levels\my_level
6. Next level->land generator. The initial height map name must be polygons. Height map X - 0, Height map Z - 0, Height map size - selects the texture size corresponding to the size of su1polygons.bmp.
7. level->Load Map image load su1polygons.bmp and use it to draw zones, roads and trenches (everything that affects the landscape).
8. Save my_level.ca and run it with a bat file (should be in the root of the program) containing the line bin\core.exe i_startmode:startmode, bin, -p:cache\my_level.ca
In half an hour - an hour the level will be generated (files levpack.cd, back.bmp, brief.bmp will appear in the levels\my_level folder).

Red

#4589498 - 01/16/22 11:42 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Thanks for the heads up on that T-72 mod, Red2112! Worth it for the much improved tank models alone.

Before:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2022_01_16_23_29_44_0000.jpgshot_2022_01_16_23_30_05_0001.jpgshot_2022_01_16_23_30_41_0002.jpgshot_2022_01_16_23_31_25_0003.jpgshot_2014_06_08_00_45_50_0002.jpgshot_2014_06_08_15_12_40_0011.jpgshot_2014_06_08_15_08_02_0005.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/16/22 11:50 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4589500 - 01/17/22 12:29 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Your welcome 33lima thumbsup

#4589515 - 01/17/22 10:21 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
@33lima...

Was the mod difficult to Install? Is the M1 Abrams operational as seen In the video clip yet?

Red

#4589521 - 01/17/22 11:15 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Red

Re installation, I just took a complete copy of my old install (not the Steam version) and re-named the root folder F:/T-72, so I could unzip the download into F:/, then downloaded the replacement missions/levels for the opening T-34 ones in the campaign and unzipped into the T-72 install (as the player T-34 is replaced by the T-55 in those missions). Seems fine. Haven't tried to find the Abrams yet!

I've found an FB page run by an enthusiast for the sim and as his missions aren't on Battlefront.com any more, I've asked about getting then, hopefully they will be compatible with this rather good mod!

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2022_01_17_10_57_15_0001.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/17/22 11:15 AM.

#4589525 - 01/17/22 12:03 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Hi and thanks 33lima!

I have the Steam version so I´ll have to follow the bit that deals with the Steam version too. From your pics (thanks) the models look real nice. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Is there a none Steam version anywhere? I haven´t found any aside from some second hand shops In CD/DVD format.

Red

#4589529 - 01/17/22 01:36 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Red

no sign of this on GOG, but Gamersgate have it: https://www.gamersgate.com/product/iron-warriors-t-72-tank-command/ Good luck getting the Steam version modded. The only issues I've found so far are that any mission where the player uses the T-34 CTD as the mod doesn't have this as playable (the extra 'level's download seems to fix this for the opening campaign missions) and the campaign diary and a few other nav options (not the main menu) are in Russian and I haven't yet found out how to restore the localisation to those. Otherwise, looking good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2022_01_17_13_07_44_0001.jpgshot_2022_01_17_13_15_45_0005.jpgshot_2022_01_17_13_15_32_0004.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/17/22 01:37 PM.

#4589537 - 01/17/22 03:37 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Hi 33lima,

Thanks, but the Gamersgate version Is also Steam activated. Sometimes Gamersgate has originals (none Steam) but not In this case. I´ll have to see how the Steam version works out and report back here. Again, thanks 33lima and for those nice looking pics too!

Red

#4589787 - 01/20/22 10:13 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Getting used to the T-72 in the stock training missions, before diving into the new missions on the T-72 Balkans on Fire FB page...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files shot_2022_01_20_19_34_53_0003.jpgshot_2022_01_20_19_35_17_0004.jpgshot_2022_01_20_19_39_53_0008.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/20/22 10:14 PM.

#4589795 - 01/21/22 12:01 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 33lima]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Looking at those shots it appears to be little doubt that the recent mod by Gastello added quite a lot to the looks of this game. But is there any more of the substance here in terms of the gameplay, mission planning and other bells and whistles which make the title whole? Graviteam SABOW in side-by-side comparison seems to be REALLY! checking off all the boxes except maybe of user interface and choice of the simulated wars and participating countries. Other than that it is a blast.

#4589816 - 01/21/22 12:59 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: Polak]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by Polak
Looking at those shots it appears to be little doubt that the recent mod by Gastello added quite a lot to the looks of this game. But is there any more of the substance here in terms of the gameplay, mission planning and other bells and whistles which make the title whole? Graviteam SABOW in side-by-side comparison seems to be REALLY! checking off all the boxes except maybe of user interface and choice of the simulated wars and participating countries. Other than that it is a blast.

T-72 TC/BoF with this mod is essentially the same sim in terms of scope and gameplay. Red's translated description and the video clip he linked to ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLcYiRPg9A&t=23s ) are the best descriptions I've seen of what the mod does add. The Panther and Abrams seen in the mod video are labelled 'to add' and the author's response to a question in the video clip says they are in his test install but not released to the public. The text implies the Leopard is playable in place of the T-34 but I haven't found any sign of that yet.

The author of this FB page... https://www.facebook.com/T-72BalkansOnFire/ ... has made additional or revised single missions for the sim. These are no longer hosted on Battlefront.com but he has shared them with me and I'm looking forward to trying them once I have re-familiarised myself with the controls.

Looking at T-72 TC/BoF, SFK '42 and SABOW, you can certainly see how the devs improved steadily on things like platoon command and control, to the point where SABOW, while different, appears functionally on a par with SB Pro PE; while T-72 TC/BoF is obviously the most primitive sim in the series. While being still quite good at what it does - giving us the opportunity to fight small-scale but intense little battles in a story-based campaign as a volunteer tank commander in the T-34, T-54/5 and T-72 in the war in the former Yugoslavia.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a great pity that Graviteam don't see further investment in SABOW as worthwhile, a NATO-WARPAC DLC or derivative with more playable AFVs, including the T-72 and Chieftain, would have been great.

Attached Files shot_2022_01_20_20_00_11_0001.jpgshot_2022_01_19_14_59_47_0000.jpgshot_2022_01_18_20_12_09_0000.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 01/21/22 01:12 PM.

#4589872 - 01/22/22 11:05 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Personally, and I know of others, I am not a fan of Graviteam Tactics UI or approach for planning, same goes with SABOW. I think they went out of there way to make it complicated to understand and use. But In the case of Iron Warriors T-72 TC that Is not the case.

I agree that Graviteam should have Invested more on this sim, and SABOW with newer offerings, regardless of It´s UI.

We don´t have much tank sims, but If we cherry pick we even have less! In other words any Improvements on what we already have are a big welcome, at least for some.

Red

#4589912 - 01/23/22 02:20 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
We don´t have much tank sims, but If we cherry pick we even have less! In other words any Improvements on what we already have are a big welcome, at least for some.

I agree, as the same goes even for M1tP2 which in fact is in the title and is being compared at the start of this topic with SB1.

The focus of this thread is an attempt to find the answer to the question of what of the older tank simulation deserves revisiting and maybe further TLC (if possible). I personally was very skeptical that there is even a remote possibility to run M1TP2 on a modern system. Not only did I get positive and surprising confirmation, but got some great kick from replaying some of the missions.

It is sure not as sophisticated as those other more recent tank titles, but I expected it from the start. The discovery of SABOW and moded T-72 TC/BoF in course of this thread were truly surprising and an added bonus.

SABOW,as it comes from Graviteam, is in a way expanded and updated SF-42 to modern conditions. Even the folder and file structure is pretty similar and I must admit that folks from Iron Task Mod (https://2021-itmtank.forumgamers.net/forum) did great service in improving it. My point is that given enough time and TLC even obscure titles can be great. And some never are because of "so many games and so little time".

Last edited by Polak; 01/23/22 02:21 AM.
#4592560 - 02/23/22 09:05 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
well I got hold of SBGold, what a faff on to get it working on win10 (I used oracles virtualbox), it took me 3 days or watching numerous utube vids to take snippets from here n there to get the old girl working, just going through the tutorial training sections on it now......Is there a way to separate the different crew posts to separate monitors to make it a more multiperson sim like you can with FSX etc?
I may have a ganders at steel fury or T34 vs Tiger.

#4592612 - 02/24/22 11:40 AM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Originally Posted by 50sqnwopag
well I got hold of SBGold, what a faff on to get it working on win10 (I used oracles virtualbox), it took me 3 days or watching numerous utube vids to take snippets from here n there to get the old girl working, just going through the tutorial training sections on it now......Is there a way to separate the different crew posts to separate monitors to make it a more multiperson sim like you can with FSX etc?

I don´t think you can do that even with the ProPE version. You might be able to do it with the Pro (military) version but I doubt you want to pay the asking price or even If they are willing to sell It to you. IIRC the most you can do with the ProPE is have the map on a separate monitor but don´t take my word on that either, It´s been awhile for me.

#4592636 - 02/24/22 03:40 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
they've missed a trick there eh!........ well so far I'm missing the TC having his own monitor (like M1TP2 had) instead he is moochin off of the gunner, no drivers cockpit view (not that tp2 had that either but I'd have thought an upgrade/newer game/sim would have had it, and calling in artillery looks pointless as by the time you've called it in the sods have moved (are there fixed enemy installations etc in game ?)

#4592798 - 02/25/22 05:29 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI

T-34 -vs- Tiger I would give a miss, unless you're like me and have to try them all for yourself. The implementation of the TC, gunner and driver roles is among the best but the infantry are poor, there's just the two playable tanks and a small campaign of scripted missions. Steel Fury is much better out of the box in nearly every respect and definitely worth getting, then add the Japanese Community Mod (or the payware ITM mod) to get dozens of new playables and missions and several new theatres.

SB Pro PE is now only available in the UK in the time-limited versions, as the dongle falls foul of post-Brexit VAT issues. For post-WW2 tanking, SABOW is hard to beat, tho non-modability means it still has just the two playable AFVs - but they are supremely-well implemented - including a driver view...

[Linked Image]

...and there are three dynamic campaigns (tho the M60 is playable in only one of them, leaving the T-62 as the playable vehicle in the other two; and all are set in Cold War backwaters, no NATO-v-WARPAC).

I dunno if SB Pro PE lets you request shoots via an attached FOO who looks after the engagement if he can identify your target, instead of having to correct fire yourself against a likely-moving foe, one best left for the Gunners. SABOW (since the relatively recent update) has training missions which I believe include handling artillery support and it may or may not be more sophisticated in that regard.

Attached Files shot_2015_04_21_22_07_41_0004.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 02/25/22 05:30 PM.

#4592819 - 02/25/22 08:36 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
can SABOW have multi monitor/crew set up or just the 1 view switchable via keyboard etc?

#4592823 - 02/25/22 09:33 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I have SABOW and I don't remember seeing such an option. Mind you it's been a while since I played it.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4597348 - 04/17/22 10:22 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: Chucky]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
Well tthatt SABOW is a right bastttard initt! (myyy tt and yy keyys are sticking!) How does one justt gett in a tttank n go off tto blow ttthings up ? all ttthatt map stuff......

#4597464 - 04/19/22 05:59 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 50sqnwopag]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
How does one justt gett in a tttank n go off tto blow ttthings up ?

Like this!

From the main menu (apply updates if yours doesn't look like this) select 'Missions'.

[Linked Image]

Then take your pick. There may be some variations built in for replayability.

[Linked Image]

The 'Battle Editor' is quite an easy way to create your own missions.

The last big update (version 5.81, Sept 2015 IIRC, just after they upgraded it to use the same engine as the GTOS wargames) added several additional 'instant action' missions, some for training purposes.

As with Steel Beasts, you still need to go to the map to do the things you can't do in the 3d world, and the icon-based SABOW map interface is (in my experience) harder to get a grip of than the drop-down menu-based SB one. But the included missions do enable you to avoid the use of the map at the outset, compared to the dynamic campaigns. The latter make moving on to the full 'tanksim within a wargame' interface well worthwhile. It's just a huge pity there's only two playable tanks, tho (and the M-60 isn't playable in the Afghan or Namibia campaigns).

Still the implementation of tanks, tanking and the environment is about as good as it gets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Watch and shoot!

Attached Files SABOW main menu.jpgSABOW missions menu.jpgshot_2015_03_16_20_44_16_0001.jpgshot_2017_09_17_11_53_17_0000.jpgshot_2015_06_07_20_17_21_0001.jpgshot_2015_03_25_22_51_54_0004.jpgshot_2016_12_10_17_06_25_0004.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 04/19/22 10:30 PM.

#4603251 - 07/08/22 04:12 PM Re: M1TP2 v steel beasts Gold. [Re: 33lima]  
50sqnwopag Offline
50sqnwopag  Offline

Lanarkshire.
thanks for the gen, just trying to update the #%&*$# thing now......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.