Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4588180 - 12/31/21 07:04 AM Re: German awards [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

I've noticed over the course of years playing OFF/WOFF that medals will get skipped if your pilot has multiple victories awarded in one day at just the "wrong" time in the algorithm. This leads me to believe that awards are presented at certain intervals based on a victory range. For example, let's say the House Order of Hohenzollern is coded to be awarded in the 14-to-16 victories range, so that if your pilot is sitting with 13 victories and is suddenly awarded four victories in one day he skips over the range and effectively misses the chance of being presented that medal. I base this theory on the fact that if my pilots progress in victories one at a time they seem, more often than not, to get every medal in the line-up that the sim has to offer. Just my own observation mind you.

For some peculiar reason this reminds me of the real-world RN system, at least up to the 1980s, under which an officer could only be promoted if he was “in the zone”. That is, he had to have the minimum required seniority in his present rank, but had not to have exceeded the maximum allowed seniority for promotion.

Legend had it that if an otherwise deserving officer had exceeded the upper seniority limit for promotion, it would discreetly be suggested that he submit a fraudulent travel claim. He would then be charged with an offence under the Naval Discipline Act, found guilty, and sentenced to loss of seniority. Which would then put him back into the promotion zone, and hey presto! Up he went smile

If this all sounds a bit far-fetched, consider the case of the 21st Century First Sea Lord with not one but _two_ courts martial* on his record..

*to be fair, the first of these courts martial was under the most creditable of circumstances. He was exonerated, and got a well-deserved DSC!

Last edited by Mike Dora; 12/31/21 07:07 AM.
#4588194 - 12/31/21 11:23 AM Re: German awards [Re: Paroni]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Aaaah military logic, gotta love the lack of it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM