Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4588064 - 12/29/21 07:54 PM Old school wet shaving  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Anyone here wet shave ? mug/bowl of soap and brush, and a double edge safety razor ? ( the real brave may use a straight razor).
Some may recall that since October I have been a CPAP machine user. Well I could not find a mask that would seal adequately with my goatee/beard. I very reluctantly accepted the fact that the facial hair had to go. I have been sporting either a goatee or beard for close to 25 years.
I have used shaving soap and a brush for many years. I noticed in the stores lately I have seen a resurgence of old school double edge safety razors, and even straight blade razors. I decided to grab a Wilkinson Sword DE butterfly razor. About $20 with 5 blades. First few shaves were a bit of a bloodbath. I learnt to let the weight of the razor head do the work, no need to apply pressure. There are a surprisingly (maybe not) amount of Youtube Channels dedicated to wet shaving. I bought a mid range Edwin Jagger Safety Razor (UK brand) with some Christmas money I was given, it came with some blades called Derby, I have never heard of them. They are manufactured in Sweden and Turkey. amazing blades, and you can get 100 blades for about 12$ on Amazon.
I have a stack of Dollar Shave Club 4 blade cartridges. I am giving them to my son, who at 19 only gets a bit of fuzz. They will last him a long time.
Bottom line is I get away smoother shave from the old school razor, and the blades are cheap. Plus the soap seems to be very good for my complexion.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4588065 - 12/29/21 08:11 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Those Derby blades are great, maybe not the best, but good enough and dirt cheap.

#4588066 - 12/29/21 08:12 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I bought my first old school razor a few months ago after suffering razor burn and came across a guy on YT who recommended a safety razor and Proraso shaving cream. For Christmas I got a badger hair shaving brush and bowl.

I've only had a few shaves with the safety razor and my first stroke caught me under my nose and it bled like a b'sard for ages. I've since got better with using it.

However, my brother recently gave me a load of Harry's blades he no longer wanted (growing a beard) and I have to say they give me the closest and best shave I've had for ages. Once I've used them all up I'll be back to the safety razor and that is cheap to use as you mentioned if you buy the blades right.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/29/21 08:13 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4588070 - 12/29/21 09:14 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
My son bought me a boars hair brush. I hinted to my wife I wanted a badger hair brush, must have got lost in the communication. Well I think it was boars ass hair. The first couple of uses were kind of smelly. I soaked it a few hours in a glass with Dawn soap, that did the trick. Boars hair is stiffer than the badger, It definitely is a step up from the synthetic Wilkinson Sword brush I have been using since the early 90's. It lathers much better. I'll stick with the boar hair, as I'd hate to hurt my son's feelings.
Watching YouTube, I also discovered Alum blocks, and alternative to styptic pencils, for nicks and cuts. I have not received it yet, but it is much harder than the pencils and lasts much longer. I got the block along with 80 blades of assorted manufactures for 19$ off Amazon !
I had no idea blades could really differ that much, but I guess they do. Big fan of the Derby so far.

#4588072 - 12/29/21 09:25 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I use disposable twin blade razors and either baby oil or moisturizing cream. I find they do better than any of the shaving soaps. I get 4 or 5 shaves with each disposable razor before it starts to drag.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4588079 - 12/29/21 11:04 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I use a Merkur Futur razor with Feather blades from Japan. They are the best I’ve tried. I use different soaps because it’s fun to try different scents, but I always have a tube of Proraso eucalyptus shaving cream around just in case. Love shaving with a double edge razor, but then again I like doing things manually. Grinding my coffee beans with a manual grinder and pouring it manually, that sort of thing. I like being involved in the process of making stuff.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4588081 - 12/29/21 11:39 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Merkur and Feather are highly rated products. Feather are considered the sharpest blades.
Semmern, how do you feel about pre shave oils ? And in your opinion what soaps give the most comfortable shave ? I have only used Proraso (Green bowl) and Wilkinson Sword. WS tends to dry quickly, I don't like that.

#4588083 - 12/30/21 12:12 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: Chucky]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Chucky
I bought my first old school razor a few months ago after suffering razor burn and came across a guy on YT who recommended a safety razor and Proraso shaving cream. For Christmas I got a badger hair shaving brush and bowl.

I've only had a few shaves with the safety razor and my first stroke caught me under my nose and it bled like a b'sard for ages. I've since got better with using it.

However, my brother recently gave me a load of Harry's blades he no longer wanted (growing a beard) and I have to say they give me the closest and best shave I've had for ages. Once I've used them all up I'll be back to the safety razor and that is cheap to use as you mentioned if you buy the blades right.

Under the nose is such a tricky spot. I can never get it completely shaven

#4588104 - 12/30/21 09:17 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Merkur and Feather are highly rated products. Feather are considered the sharpest blades.
Semmern, how do you feel about pre shave oils ? And in your opinion what soaps give the most comfortable shave ? I have only used Proraso (Green bowl) and Wilkinson Sword. WS tends to dry quickly, I don't like that.

Never bothered with pre-shave oils, as I usually shave after a shower, so I have no idea how well they work.

Truefitt & Hill soaps are nice. They smell good, lather fairly well as far as solid soaps go, and don’t dry quickly.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4588114 - 12/30/21 12:41 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I switched to a safety razor a couple of years ago. I use a Merkur handle and I'm working through a pack of Astra blades. I find both to be quite satisfactory for a nice smooth shave, with only an occasional nick here and there. Usually when I don't change the blade soon enough.

I really like Cremo as a shaving cream, you don't need much of it and it provides excellent lubrication. I don't bother with a brush, I just use my hands.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4588120 - 12/30/21 01:55 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Been using the same Schick razor with replacebale blades for decades.......so far I can stil get the blades. I use any cheap aerosol shave cream ( e.g. Gillette Foamy ) but the secret I think is a goodface wsh with hot water and make sure your face is wet before applying the shave cream

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4588238 - 12/31/21 09:19 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
Gillette 5 blade works without injury in spite of my Parkinsons tremor. Shaving soap in a mug and my Dad's boars hair brush work well.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4588243 - 12/31/21 10:18 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I’ve been wet shaving with DE razor, brush and alum block for the last 5 years or so. My favourite razor is the Merkur Slant, a fabulous razor for growth of several days. For daily shaves I have the choice of Merkurs and Mühles with open or closed combs, a Fatip open comb, the new all steel Gillette, a french travel razor which apparently was standard issue in the French army ww2, and a lightweight Gillette with a plastic handle. I also tried a vintage Gillette butterfly but found that old, replated razors are not for me.

Soaps; I do like anything sandalwood, Mühle, Proraso, Taylor’s, they’re all sandalwood and they’re all different. Some Florence from Mondial and Alvarez Gomez are also favourites though not sandalwood. Green Proraso, in can and tube are also nice and refreshing due to the menthol used in these. And then there’s the classic Tabac. Either you loathe it or love it. I can use it for a period, then I need to take a break from it.

After-Shaves; I usually try to maintain consistency so I prefer not mixing brands, same brand of after shave as the brand of soap. There are some notable exeptions though; Esprit de Valdemar, especially the Fougere is a very good and discreet, pleasant after-shave for the work-day.

I tried the “James Bond” favourite Floris 69 once, but this made me think that I smelled like an old lady with purple hair! wacky

Blades; Feather’s are good, Voskhod, Personna, I seem to remember that Derby was a bit hit-or-miss for me depending on the specific sub-product.

Brushes; I mostly use a generic no-name brush for daily use, saving the Mondial and the Bond’s of Oxford Street for special occasions.

I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos, learning about shaving With The Grain, Against TG and across TG.

It is a nice hobby and a nice way of re-centrering and connecting with myself.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4588277 - 01/01/22 09:33 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: McGonigle]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by McGonigle
Brushes; I mostly use a generic no-name brush for daily use, saving the Mondial and the Bond’s of Oxford Street for special occasions.

As far as brushes go, I have found that a proper silvertip badger brush makes much better foam than a synthetic one, or even a «lesser» badger brush.

I have this set, and like it very much. Looks good on the bathroom counter, too.

[Linked Image]

#4588299 - 01/01/22 05:42 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Nice set semmern. Does the handle have adjustable angels ? I noticed the numbers at the top.

Yesterday I shaved with a Wilkinson Sword blade, in my Edwin Jagger handle. It was a great shave, just as smooth as the Dirby blade. Perhaps the EJ handle is simply superior to the WS butterfly handle. (it should be its more expensive).

McGonigle, I too am shaving with the grain, across, and then against the grain, with great results. Also found out about this on YouTube.

#4588315 - 01/01/22 09:05 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Yeah, it’s adjustable from 1 to 6. About 2-3 is a good setting for regular shaving, and 5-6 if the beard is about a week old. I have fairly bristly and stiff facial hair.

#4588321 - 01/01/22 11:04 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: semmern]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by semmern
Yeah, it’s adjustable from 1 to 6. About 2-3 is a good setting for regular shaving, and 5-6 if the beard is about a week old. I have fairly bristly and stiff facial hair.

Nice piece of kit. I may treat myself someday. I have stiff facial hair as well.

#4588323 - 01/02/22 12:27 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: oldgrognard]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I use disposable twin blade razors and either baby oil or moisturizing cream. I find they do better than any of the shaving soaps. I get 4 or 5 shaves with each disposable razor before it starts to drag.

Same here though they last weeks with me.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4588328 - 01/02/22 01:54 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

II use a disposable with no shaving cream right after taking a hot shower.

#4591561 - 02/13/22 11:05 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
So far the Derby Extra blades (green package) have given me the best shave. Just tried the Derby Premium (black package), but the shave was not as close. I previously tried Astra Superior Stainless (blue package), they gave me the poorest shave to date. I am not even going to use the 3 I have remaining.
So far the best performing blades you can get 100 for $12 on Amazon. I will try the rest of sample packs, but I think it will be tough to beat to Derby Extras. I've yet to try the highly regarded Feather blades
Cuts are extremely rare. Cut edge of my lip last week, but that's it since my last post on the subject. I've gotten my form down after watching multiple YouTube videos.
The Alum block is wonderful, soaked in cold water and applied to a face splashed with cold water, it heals any minor abrasions. Rinse off after 30 seconds with cold water. You don't even need after shave afterwards, but I still slash some on.

Sample pack I got off Amazon.

[Linked Image]

My next quest is to find a soap that keeps a nice lather, when doing a 3 pass shave. Using Wilkinson's Sword right now.

#4591565 - 02/14/22 01:23 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm currently using Astra Superior Platinum myself - the greenish box. I have to agree, they are not the best blades I have used. I never thought of getting a sample pack, but I may give the Derby's a try when I've exhausted the Astra's.
For cream, I'm using Cremo. It doesn't lather per se, but it is very good at lubrication. After the first pass, I wet my hand and wipe my face and it seems to re-activate the lubricant (I only do 2 passes.)

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4595059 - 03/24/22 08:00 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
[quote=WangoTango]So far the Derby Extra blades (green package) have given me the best shave. Just tried the Derby Premium (black package), but the shave was not as close. I previously tried Astra Superior Stainless (blue package), they gave me the poorest shave to date. I am not even going to use the 3 I have remaining.
So far the best performing blades you can get 100 for $12 on Amazon. I will try the rest of sample packs, but I think it will be tough to beat to Derby Extras. I've yet to try the highly regarded Feather blades
Cuts are extremely rare. Cut edge of my lip last week, but that's it since my last post on the subject. I've gotten my form down after watching multiple YouTube videos.
The Alum block is wonderful, soaked in cold water and applied to a face splashed with cold water, it heals any minor abrasions. Rinse off after 30 seconds with cold water. You don't even need after shave afterwards, but I still slash some on.

Sample pack I got off Amazon.

[Linked Image]

Super Max Platinum blades gave me the worst shave ever. I haven't cut myself in over a month, I had 5 today. I will give them one more try. Use another blade from the sample pack. I'll toss the rest if I get the same results.

#4614840 - 11/25/22 05:45 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Used a Big Ben blade my last 2 shaves. My upper lip has never been so smooth. Excellent blade, made in Egypt. 10 blades in a box. You can get 100 blades on Amazon for less than $20 CAD (I have only used one blade so far, time will tell if the praise is worthy)

[Linked Image]

#4614856 - 11/25/22 06:59 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I tried those Derby blades, and while the good ones were good, they are a bit too hit and miss for me. I'd say about 2 out of every 5 don't make it past the first few swipes. For whatever reason, I get a really rough shave from them.

-Robert Heinlein
#4614857 - 11/25/22 07:00 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I tried those Derby blades, and while the good ones were good, they are a bit too hit and miss for me. I'd say about 2 out of every 5 don't make it past the first few swipes. For whatever reason, I get a really rough shave from them.

What is your blade of choice ?

#4614927 - 11/27/22 01:02 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I don't have one at the moment. I started off with some Gillette blades which worked but not as close of a shave as I would like. Then I bought the Derby's. I should get a variety pack like you did. I bought basically a year supply of each and have been slugging through them.
I do rather like Cremo for a shave cream though.

-Robert Heinlein
#4614929 - 11/27/22 01:09 AM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I don't have one at the moment. I started off with some Gillette blades which worked but not as close of a shave as I would like. Then I bought the Derby's. I should get a variety pack like you did. I bought basically a year supply of each and have been slugging through them.
I do rather like Cremo for a shave cream though.

The variety pack is great. I bought it mainly for the alum block, as the blades are practically a throw in.

#4615072 - 11/28/22 10:19 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Well, 3 excellent shaves with the Big Ben blade. I consider that excellent. Despite the fact I do have a chin goatee. My whiskers a quite course. My new favorite blade.

#4615662 - 12/04/22 07:45 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
I switched to using a safety razor about 7 years ago. I'm noticing a real drop in quality of the blades recently.

#4615663 - 12/04/22 08:09 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: HawkI]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by HawkI
I switched to using a safety razor about 7 years ago. I'm noticing a real drop in quality of the blades recently.

What blades do you use ?

#4615667 - 12/04/22 08:28 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England

What blades do you use ?

They're branded as "Men Advance", I buy them from my local supermarket. I used to get a good 6-7 shaves form a blade, with very few nicks. Now I'm lucky if I get 2-3, and they scape my skin pretty rough!

#4615673 - 12/04/22 10:21 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: HawkI]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

What blades do you use ?

They're branded as "Men Advance", I buy them from my local supermarket. I used to get a good 6-7 shaves form a blade, with very few nicks. Now I'm lucky if I get 2-3, and they scape my skin pretty rough!

Amazon has incredible deals. You can get 100 blades for under $20. They have variety packs so you can try different blades as well.

#4615769 - 12/05/22 08:41 PM Re: Old school wet shaving [Re: WangoTango]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England

What blades do you use ?

Amazon has incredible deals. You can get 100 blades for under $20. They have variety packs so you can try different blades as well.

That is good value. Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.