Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 273 of 384 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 383 384
#4587556 - 12/21/21 12:42 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
lol

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4587568 - 12/21/21 11:38 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Red2112
I like the original better. It just looks and Is more authentic.

The new film is much more faithful to the book but I know what you mean about the Lynch film. The costume and set design, the visuals and audio all make the Dune universe seem just more compelling in the Lynch adaptation.

Any direct comparison is flawed though because while Villeneuve had full creative freedom while making his version of Dune, Lynch did not.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4587571 - 12/21/21 12:42 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
so I was a bit surprised with the ending. .

That's because the new film only covers half the book. The second film (late 2023 release date) will cover the second half of the book.

You guys got me interested -- why I read this thread. I had seen the original.

I checked on the new version -- read reviews of the old and new versions. As you note, the necessary 2'd movie releases later. Rather see them back to back.

So, I ordered a Blu-Ray of the original movie for $6.00 -- just to "restart" the Dune saga for me and my wife. We'll see how things turn out in 2023. smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4587572 - 12/21/21 12:50 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Allen]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Allen

So, I ordered a Blu-Ray of the original movie for $6.00 -- just to "restart" the Dune saga for me and my wife. We'll see how things turn out in 2023. smile

The Dune miniseries from the SyFy Channel is also worth watching. It's very faithful to the book but you can definitely tell that it was made on a limited budget.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4587574 - 12/21/21 01:50 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
I like the original better. It just looks and Is more authentic.

The costume and set design, the visuals and audio all make the Dune universe seem just more compelling in the Lynch adaptation.

Any direct comparison is flawed though because while Villeneuve had full creative freedom while making his version of Dune, Lynch did not.

Yes that it, that´s exactly what I meant. I also bought the original yesterday so I could see it again, and I would say (back to back), you as the viewer gets more Info (plot etc.) from the start. The actors think out loud, which in turn gives you Info/hints of what´s going on, It just seems easier to make what the story is about. On the newer version, It´s like your thrown In there (maybe because your supposed to have seen the original) and when you start to figure out what the plot is about, the movie Is over!

Any how´s at least It got me to watch and buy the original again.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4587578 - 12/21/21 02:32 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I like both versions of Dune. Lynch because the visuals and music are very striking, Villeneuve's because it has a sense of epic visual scale.

I believe that the new Dune has a flaw in it - you need to already know certain things before seeing the movie. Like the notion of a spacefaring feudal political system, and the importance to space travel of spice. In the new version, spice just seems to be stuff that gets you mildly high, and has no explanation other than a brief throwaway line that it's something the navigators need, for unexplained reasons. I'd have liked to have seen the massive transport ships being moved linked to the existence of spice. Hopefully there is a restorable scene that does this for an expanded release.

I tried to imagine what I would get from the new version with no knowledge from the old version (or the book) and this is the biggest flaw IMO.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4587579 - 12/21/21 02:36 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: DM]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM

I tried to imagine what I would get from the new version with no knowledge from the old version (or the book) and this is the biggest flaw IMO.

I understand exactly what you mean. The new film isn't really "newbie friendly". There are no scenes with significant exposition like you have in the Lynch film.

#4587580 - 12/21/21 03:18 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
The Dune conversation reminds me of the Planet of the Apes trilogy (the recent version -- not the decades old one).

Having seen two and 3'd soon, I notice these are not true "stand alone" movies (to my way of thinking). Rather, they're like 3 large chapters in a complete Book.

One needs to see all 3 to get a truly completed story. Spread out over 3 or 4 years, I would not enjoy them nearly as much.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4587583 - 12/21/21 04:07 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
A similar thing happens with Prometheus, not that It´s a remake, but If you haven´t seen the Alien Trilogy (even if you did biggrin ) you will have a hard time as a new viewer to understand the plot. On the other hand, Lord of the Rings each can be a movie on it´s own, or almost, and each can also tie to the next movie for a complete picture.

The original Dune explains right from the beginning The Houses (planets) and what The Spice is for example, then you have some scenes were a actor will think out loud at a given take, which also exposes more Info. I would also say there´s more dialog In the original.

I saw the remake as DM, not really remembering how the original Dune was/is, and while there are scenes that are epic as PM mentions, I was pretty lost till about the end of the movie not really knowing what In the world was going on.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4587584 - 12/21/21 04:50 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
A similar thing happens with Prometheus, not that It´s a remake, but If you haven´t seen the Alien Trilogy (even if you did biggrin ) you will have a hard time as a new viewer to understand the plot. On the other hand, Lord of the Rings each can be a movie on it´s own, or almost, and each can also tie to the next movie for a complete picture.

Prometheus has a couple of glaring problems:

1) The characters are idiots. Rare is a film where they are this dumb.

2) The scene transitions and flow are awful.

bonus 3) The starship uses traditional propellant based engines for interstellar travel. Really? Propellant based engines? There aren't massive fuel tanks as proposed by many engineers for atomic rockets, so the craft isn't even that. I find it absolutely, utterly ridiculous any interstellar ship would still be using Star Wars style engines with flames coming out the back. This pissed me off as much as the neutrino storm damaging the ship in the sequel to "Promethius," "Alien Covenant."

I cringed the entire film when I thought of those engines. They still bother me.

#4587585 - 12/21/21 04:55 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
P.S. If anyone wants to see Lynch's Dune again, I highly recommend watching the "Dune 1984 Alternative Edition Redux [Spice Diver Fan Edit]" Type that into Google. This has been expertly edited and put together in the most coherent form that exists.

I haven't seen Villeneuve's "Dune" yet, I refuse to pay 25 bucks to watch a movie.

#4587586 - 12/21/21 05:10 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

bonus 3) The starship uses traditional propellant based engines for interstellar travel. Really? Propellant based engines? There aren't massive fuel tanks as proposed by many engineers for atomic rockets, so the craft isn't even that. I find it absolutely, utterly ridiculous any interstellar ship would still be using Star Wars style engines with flames coming out the back. This pissed me off as much as the neutrino storm damaging the ship in the sequel to "Promethius," "Alien Covenant."

What makes point #1 even more absurd is that it is mentioned at least a couple of times in the movie just how utterly important this mission is and how many billions of dollars were invested in it.

Really? Then why did Weyland hire the most incompetent and psychologically weak crew imaginable?

Concerning point #3 the only thing I can say is that engines with big pretty colorful flames coming out the back makes audiences go "ooooohhh how cool".

#4587591 - 12/21/21 05:58 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Concerning point #3 the only thing I can say is that engines with big pretty colorful flames coming out the back makes audiences go "ooooohhh how cool".

I suppose that's what they were going for here, as the writers and producers figured the audience would already be stupid enough to overlook the retarded characters.

I'm not sure what Ridley Scott was thinking. Perhaps he wasn't. I think James Cameron fell into the same trap when he made "Avatar."

Both could have been exceptional movies if they had treated their audiences with more respect by delivering writing and a script worthy of intelligent consideration.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/21/21 05:59 PM.
#4587592 - 12/21/21 06:01 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I'm not sure what Ridley Scott was thinking. Perhaps he wasn't. I think James Cameron fell into the same trap when he made "Avatar."

They are business men just as much or even more so than artistic men and when you look at the box office performance of both films (especially Avatar) you can argue that both of them accomplished their goal.

#4587599 - 12/21/21 07:58 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE

2) The scene transitions and flow are awful.

I cringed the entire film when I thought of those engines. They still bother me.

Sorry but your statements have nothing to do with what I am trying to point out.

#4587604 - 12/21/21 09:59 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by WangoTango

I lasted about 20 minutes. Not for me.

You reminded me about my experience with "The Sopranos". With all of the commotion and hype at that time I decided to give it a shot and I lasted about 30 minutes before I gave up. Just simply not my cup of tea.

The Sopranos, definitely my cup of tea. Very rarely do I watch a series more than once. 3 times so far. probably will revisit in the future.

#4587608 - 12/21/21 11:17 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Slow on the Holidays. I did get to watch ( Full Scene ? Restored ? } version of This Island Earth. The 50's seemed rich in Sci Fi films.

https://highdefdiscnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/this_island_earth_1331_43.png

Last edited by carrick58; 12/21/21 11:30 PM.
#4587609 - 12/21/21 11:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: WangoTango]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

I lasted about 20 minutes. Not for me.

You reminded me about my experience with "The Sopranos". With all of the commotion and hype at that time I decided to give it a shot and I lasted about 30 minutes before I gave up. Just simply not my cup of tea.

The Sopranos, definitely my cup of tea. Very rarely do I watch a series more than once. 3 times so far. probably will revisit in the future.

Oh boy, talk about a good series. I loved that one.

#4587614 - 12/22/21 04:54 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I know one thing that shocks current day viewers when they watch "Die Hard" for the first time is the exterior shot where you clearly see a gas station in the background and you can see the price of gas on one of the signs. I think it says 89 cents per gallon. LOL

[Linked Image]

#4587623 - 12/22/21 11:31 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that screenshot NFB! So the price is even less than I remembered and this was in LA too to boot!

Page 273 of 384 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 383 384

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.