Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4586389 - 12/04/21 12:24 PM EAW history.  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Great game titles deserve their history to be documented.
Falcon4 has its history of development recorded https://sites.google.com/site/falcon4history/ and TAW by DiD has it's too (in progress) https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4553148/the-history-of-did-s-total-air-war.
Possibly there are others.

How about EAW? Are there any in threads on this forum?
If it is not, perhaps it should.

Last edited by Polak; 12/04/21 12:25 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4586703 - 12/10/21 08:25 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

The easiest reference for EAW history and all things EAW is via MarkEAW's EUROPEAN AIR WAR HELP SITE (EAWHS) just look at patches and modifications and there are webpages with many details of the beginnings to UAW, etc.

This section is to provide a "list" of features and reviews for theOfficial game, hex edited, machine level manipulated and source coded modified versionsof EAW. Some of the Independent game patches are present as well.

• Full Review(MPS EAW)- A very rich and detailed review with specifications of thisgreat game. Incorporated into the review are the changes fromthe two official MPS patches.

MicroProsePatches - A reprint and reformat of the list of changes of the only two officialMPS EAW Team patches, the list contains most of the changes there where actually made in v1.1 and v1.2. Also details of the advantages and disadvantages of using one version over the other, along with tips.

HexEditedPatches - Some of the various hex edited eaw.exe's replacements that fix problems and some that introduce some features,typically based on v1.2. A few are based on v1.1. Includes NoCD instructions.

FXEXE Patches -EAWPRO. This help document containsthe details on this fascinating special effects independent build of the EAW game. Not only is the exemodified, but game data as well. Includes self contained additional help information within this help doc.

• CodeGroupPatches - An other independent game. This help document outlines many of the changes done through their closed source code. Full of details,but unfortunately lacking some of the changes and versions they have made. Includes Install help as well.

Other than that you can search this EAW forum old posts and the EAW forum archives at SimHQ.net

#4586868 - 12/12/21 02:30 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Indeed plenty of material to read and learn. Thank you.

#4587510 - 12/20/21 05:35 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

MarkEAW and his Site are certainly huge assets.

#4625260 - 04/22/23 06:53 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I noticed that someone was reading this thread yesterday so I thought that I would check it out again.

Using the "FXExe Patches" link I downloaded the "EAWPRO1.0_Basic.zip" and the "BASIC-update-2.zip" to try the latest that is available. I applied them to a clean 1.2 folder.

In Windows 7 I got the 7217 error.

I did not get the 7217 error in Windows 10 but the frame rate was poor.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4625262 - 04/22/23 08:15 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Details are a bit sparse right now, but one would assume that EAW would be included in this:
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...Console-Titles-from-the-80s-and-90s.html

EDIT:
Ah, I thought this was an interesting development, but I forgot that this forum was populated by a bunch of 3 year olds trying to score points against each other to impress a largely non-existent audience. frown

Last edited by mikew; 04/22/23 09:56 AM. Reason: Why bother...
#4625263 - 04/22/23 08:29 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Originally Posted by MrJelly
I noticed that someone was reading this thread yesterday so I thought that I would check it out again.

Using the "FXExe Patches" link I downloaded the "EAWPRO1.0_Basic.zip" and the "BASIC-update-2.zip" to try the latest that is available. I applied them to a clean 1.2 folder.

In Windows 7 I got the 7217 error.

I did not get the 7217 error in Windows 10 but the frame rate was poor.

I think your computer may have a virus or some adware which hampers EAWPRO's increased speed. Ofcourse it's also possible that this phenomenum is the same with all versions of EAW. Didn't you recently mention FPS issues with UAW, which is a recurring issue in your own forum? Anyway, it runs great with all my pilots and you're the only one who keeps complaining about my work! Could it be that your version is competitive with mine so you keep digging up these personal issues?

VonBeerhofen

#4625264 - 04/22/23 09:01 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I am not complaining about your work. I was reporting on what happened when I tested those downloads.
Which operating systems are "your pilots" using? Your posts elsewhere suggest that they are using the final cut version and not your last public release version of EAWPro.
There's plenty of posts on the 'net re- framerate problems due to Win 10, and I use Windows 7 to fly offline and online at GameRanger with no framerate problems at all. I do not have a virus or adware problem.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4625265 - 04/22/23 09:09 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Well you seem to have some sort of a problem that nobody else previously reported besides you. How about the thousands of posts where nobody reports your problems with EAWPRO, surely they weigh a lot heavier then the one person's issues and owner of a competitive version who keeps complaining about my work. Even your Facebook page is full of it and it seems you bear some sort of grudge against my work.

VonBeerhofen

#4625266 - 04/22/23 09:36 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Sticking to facts and preferring not to argue this is a screenie from a host-only mission at Gameranger.

[Linked Image]

The frame-rate is 56 fps at 1920x1080 in Windows 7.
This is on the same PC and HDD that gives me a 7217 error when I try to run EAWPro.

[Linked Image]

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4625267 - 04/22/23 09:49 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Yeah, no wonder, there's absolutely nothing to see in that screen shot, the number of rendered polygons is practically zero and as such I consider your FPS to be pretty poor. Besides that I'm also pretty good at copying text between various pictures and don't see that as real proof. However we weren't discussing your version but you were attacking mine and I think by now the community understands why you keep at it.

BTW didn't the 7217 error with your own version force you to run it in Glide mode yourself and wasn't that where your own issues with FPS started? This subject is well documented throughout EAW's history and can happen with all versions. Why are you trying to make people believe that only my version suffers from it?

VonBeerhofen

#4625268 - 04/22/23 10:29 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

If someone encounters a problem with our current release and reports it we do not consider it to be criticism or an attack.
We are happy to have been made aware of it and we will do our best to fix it if possible.
I have your release working if I use the d3d windower in Win 7.
There are several issues that I could report which are file-related and not exe related such as the Spitfire IX hangar screen.
I would like to see them fixed, and the benefit would flow to all players who want to use EAWPro offline.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4625269 - 04/22/23 11:04 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Ah, more attacks on my work, evasive answers to my questions and a try to direct my actions. Why do you keep discrediting my work? You know there's an easy fix for the Spit's hangar screen, simply remove it or restore the original, we've already gone through that several times before. Perhaps you recall that such issues were pretty common with OAW too, so it isn't as if you don't know how to solve them. Those who reported it were given this advice too and their problem was solved after down loading the file from my FTP and pasting it into EAWPRO's root folder where the EAW.EXE is also located. https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/DownLoad/HNGR11.MPC
The screen was intended as the first fully animated Hangar Screen in EAW's history and never finished due to someone stealing my work and distributing it without consent. It remains in the download until I decide to finish it, just as a reminder. Right now I have much more important things on my plate and the last thing I need is you dictating what I should do.

VonBeerhofen

#4625272 - 04/22/23 11:11 AM Re: EAW history. [Re: mikew]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by mikew
Ah, I thought this was an interesting development, but I forgot that this forum was populated by a bunch of 3 year olds trying to score points against each other to impress a largely non-existent audience. frown

1 - A BUNCH of 3 year olds? heh.

2 - A non-existent audience? Check the views, dude.

3 - Your post violates community standards.

Last edited by Rotton50; 04/22/23 01:36 PM.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4625275 - 04/22/23 12:05 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: mikew]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by mikew
Details are a bit sparse right now, but one would assume that EAW would be included in this:
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...Console-Titles-from-the-80s-and-90s.html

EDIT:

If you were to download some of my work and find a fault with it would you let me know about it ?

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4625277 - 04/22/23 12:14 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

"After these issues were raised several times before and properly dealt with", should be added to your question Mr. Jelly.

VonBeerhofen

#4625284 - 04/22/23 02:42 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Just having a look at what has been added I note that In the "EAWPRO1.0_Basic.zip" there is a "PLANES.DAT" file and then another one in "BASIC-update-2.zip".
There is no info re- these changes in the "BASIC-update-2.zip"., and not much if any in the "EAWPro.txt".
What improvements do these changes give us?
I find that is difficult to judge when you fly the last FXExe and then fly EAWPro

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4625286 - 04/22/23 04:15 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

I find it difficult to come to terms with the many pages in the UAW v1.60 manuals I've been reading over the past decade but what you do is your prerogative. It's not an example which I care to follow as I don't think it'll make it more fun to fly, but for those interested most cumulative changes are on Mark EAW's helpsite:

https://eaw.neocities.org/fxexe-patches

No more information is needed to enjoy it to the fullest. If it's too hard for you or others you can try lowering some of the AI skill settings. Not shown are certain changes which I consider to be too easy to replicate. Differences between these two versions are minimal but significant nonetheless, otherwise I wouldn't have offered them both. They probably contain several bugfixes, code optimisations and graphical improvements. Only a hex comparison will allow me to tell which changes were made but I probably wouldn't share that info either, especially not with you. Usually newer versions run faster due to more optimised code. When people fly EAWPRO they will eventually run into these differences and hopefully appreciate them as they happen. I told you before that it's more fun that way, and it saves me from having to explain everything to overly inquisitive people who should be more concerned with flying and enjoying it..

VonBeerhofen

#4625289 - 04/22/23 05:59 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

OK. I will split the planes.dat files and compare them myself wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4625290 - 04/22/23 06:29 PM Re: EAW history. [Re: Polak]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

It's a bit late but eat your heart out, smile You could have done that without placing yourself in the spotlight and destroy Polak's HISTORY thread, without breaking forum rules, without attacking my work for no reason and without wasting everyone's time.

VonBeerhofen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.