Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4586076 - 11/28/21 11:10 PM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: Becker01]  
AlbrechtKaseltzer Offline
AlbrechtKaseltzer  Offline

Make your test-series with the single- mods in your jsgme-mod-list, no combinations, also no comb. with mods outside from jsgme. Test every mod in your mod-list and outside (f.e. multimod) alone and see the results.
That is your first test-series!

Just so everybody's on the same page, that's what I was doing. It's just that the SPAD suicide bug wouldn't hit right away, so I'd be testing a single mod out for several flights, testing a single setting change one at a time, etc. This wasn't a case of dumping a bunch of stuff in all at once - I was spending two or three hours one night testing two mods one at a time and everything would be fine. Then, a day or two later, suddenly the same exact configuration would stop being okay.

So it's a matter of testing each individual mod like you say, but specifically testing each individual mod by itself for a couple days minimum before moving on to test the next mod individually for a couple days, and so on.

Regarding the read me's, I've been reading those, but there were some areas where the user has to be able to read between the lines to infer the implications.

E.g. I used to work in a music shop, and saying "this bass amp isn't a guitar amp" or "this fuzz pedal isn't a bass effect pedal" wouldn't mean anything, because you could still use them just fine. But it was very important to know that not only is a guitar amp not a bass amp, but specifically don't plug the bass into the guitar amp! These are very different ideas.

So when I first read the multi-mod read-me, "This is not a JSGME mod" didn't mean anything to me - it read like it was just a statement of fact. Something like "Don't use this in JSGME" would have conveyed that point to somebody w/my low level of knowledge - just like it's important to know not to plug the bass into the guitar amp.

But there's a certain point at which those sorts of miscommunications/misinterpretations are inevitable. As silly as it might sound, interpreting the language of the read-me's is a skill that takes some time to develop. Live & learn!

Last edited by AlbrechtKaseltzer; 11/28/21 11:22 PM.
#4586087 - 11/29/21 03:07 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: AlbrechtKaseltzer]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
AlbrechtKaseltzer;

The default path is (C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields), not ((C:\OBDSoftware\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields).

I suspect that your registry shows the correct default path, but the actual location you specified doesn't match the registry entry.

Check it and let me know.

Best Regards

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 11/29/21 03:09 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4586089 - 11/29/21 07:58 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: AlbrechtKaseltzer]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by AlbrechtKaseltzer

So when I first read the multi-mod read-me, "This is not a JSGME mod" didn't mean anything to me - it read like it was just a statement of fact. Something like "Don't use this in JSGME" would have conveyed that point to somebody w/my low level of knowledge - just like it's important to know not to plug the bass into the guitar amp.

But there's a certain point at which those sorts of miscommunications/misinterpretations are inevitable. As silly as it might sound, interpreting the language of the read-me's is a skill that takes some time to develop. Live & learn!

That sounds we have to write manuals like: "Do not put the cat in the microwave oven!"? biggrin
I am sorry, but you must also consider that for many modders is not English their native language.

#4586093 - 11/29/21 09:48 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
AlbrechtKaseltzer;

The default path is (C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields), not ((C:\OBDSoftware\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields).

I suspect that your registry shows the correct default path, but the actual location you specified doesn't match the registry entry.

Check it and let me know.

Best Regards

I checked again and that's the file path I've got. (I'd done a direct copy-and-paste). It sounds like that's not what the path is supposed to be, but all I know is that's the path that the install program set up without any human interference during the installation process.

#4586096 - 11/29/21 10:16 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: JJJ65]  

Originally Posted by JJJ65

That sounds we have to write manuals like: "Do not put the cat in the microwave oven!"? biggrin

Yeah, it can sound a bit silly. In my mind, it's like how microwave ovens often come with manuals specifying not to insert metal objects inside.

In general life, there's many things that aren't expressly designed to go together but that work just fine together anyway. However, much like microwaves and aluminum foil, this was clearly not one of those cases!

I am sorry, but you must also consider that for many modders is not English their native language.

Oh for sure. I get that English isn't a first language for a lot of people, and English can have many quirks that can throw people off - and all of that is also very true for any sort of programming/coding/troubleshooting/etc where some idiot like me gets thrown off in unexpected ways.

I get the impression this is getting taken somewhat personally, and I just wanted to say that there wasn't any finger-pointing intended. The goal was to walk through my thought process & learning process, how I got it wrong despite reading the read-me's. I wanted to show where my effort & intentions were present, and where my knowledge was lacking - because I find that it helps other people to help me if I'm honest about what my areas of ignorance are and what I'm misunderstanding. I also wanted to be able to show that I'm at least making a good faith effort and not just wasting everybody's time.

So the point isn't to say "Oh this is so-and-so's fault!" I'd rather focus on the fact that now we know what happens if the multi mod gets placed in JSGME - and it can be valuable to know this for future trouble-shooting & diagnostics: "Oh, if there's sudden issues with the flight model, check to make sure you're using the multi mod correctly!"

Last edited by AlbrechtKaseltzer; 11/29/21 10:46 AM.
#4586099 - 11/29/21 11:18 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: AlbrechtKaseltzer]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
OK, no problem I did not take it personally. It was just my attempt to lighten the tense a bit.

So the point isn't to say "Oh this is so-and-so's fault!" I'd rather focus on the fact that now we know what happens if the multi mod gets placed in JSGME - and it can be valuable to know this for future trouble-shooting & diagnostics: "Oh, if there's sudden issues with the flight model, check to make sure you're using the multi mod correctly!"

I am not sure, if that ( i.e. MultiMod enabled by JSGME) can even have described impact on flight models. MultiMod does not modify any respective flight models, as far as I am aware. Just simulation.xml and few other xml files.

#4586100 - 11/29/21 11:20 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: AlbrechtKaseltzer]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo AlbrechtK,

does the "User Files Backup Utility" work now? If not, I can't help from the distance, only with the first manual way, @VonS has mentioned Side one.

Why is a test with one mod for 2-3 days on your system too long (WOFF is great, also without mods!)? Okay, if so, then I can only recommend the first variant, I have mentioned on side 1:
After an uninstallation of WOFF via "WOFF ToolBox" check the registry with CCleaner and restart your system,
Check which mods have an influence on the DM/FM of your SPAD (the fire-rating, the gun-jamming, the own-bullet-hits, etc?). And these mods don't use and see the results.
Basically activate one jsgme-mod after an other, not all at once.

A third idea is, that you make a screenshot of your WOFF-installation with subfolders, a screenshot of your jsgme-modlist (and maybe the installation-path of other mods outside jsgme if they are not visible in the screenshots).

Sorry, I can't say more at this point of investigation. I would only repeat, what I have written so far. Maybe an other member with more knowledge has further tipps.

Greetings and success!

Last edited by Becker01; 11/29/21 11:41 AM.
#4586103 - 11/29/21 11:40 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: Becker01]  

Originally Posted by Becker01
Hallo AlbrechtK,

does the "User Files Backup Utility" work now? If not, I can't help from the distance, only with the first manual way, @VonS has mentioned Side one.

No change. frown I'll just go manual and hope for the best.

Why is a test with one mod for 2-3 days on your system too long

Maybe I miscommunicated - basically what I was saying is that you and I are on the same page, that I was following the process you'd outlined already, it's just that an hour or two of testing one single mod is insufficient so longer testing is necessary. That just caught me by surprise; generally any time I've delved into game-modding, bugs and errors would show up right away, whereas in this case the single mod will be fine for an hour or two but then that same configuration will stop being fine a day later without any discernible changes in between.

So it's not that 2-3 days is too long, but that 2-3 days is necessary even if that's not necessarily obvious.

(WOFF is great, also without mods!)?

Amen to that! The one thing I'm realizing is that modding WOFF is a completely different animal than anything else I've fiddled around with, and maybe in my case it's better to just leave the game as-is.

Last edited by AlbrechtKaseltzer; 11/29/21 11:43 AM.
#4586106 - 11/29/21 11:50 AM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: JJJ65]  

Originally Posted by JJJ65
OK, no problem I did not take it personally. It was just my attempt to lighten the tense a bit.

Ah okay, gotcha! Yeah, I hadn't experienced any tenseness. It's all good!

I am not sure, if that ( i.e. MultiMod enabled by JSGME) can even have described impact on flight models. MultiMod does not modify any respective flight models, as far as I am aware. Just simulation.xml and few other xml files.

I don't know how or why it happens - all I know is that on my system, when I implement that one mod that one way, those are the results I get, and I don't get those results any other way. That's not on the mod or the mod developer - that's just an unintended consequence of misuse/user errors. Given that this was misuse/user error, by definition that opens the door to all sorts of unpredictable & idiosyncratic consequences that can be particular to a specific device.

Last edited by AlbrechtKaseltzer; 11/29/21 09:52 PM.
#4586114 - 11/29/21 02:03 PM Re: Is it possible to install WOFF twice on the same device? (to test mods) [Re: AlbrechtKaseltzer]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albrecht

As I stated before, the User Files Backup program looks at the registry entry and gets the path to WOFF from there.

If you know how to look into your registry, go there and check the path and compare it to the path on your hard drive to see if they are the same.

If you don't know how to check your registry, send me a PM and I can help you.

The attached picture shows where the default WOFF path is stored in your Registry: Click Here

Best regards

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 11/29/21 06:18 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM