Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 364 of 366 1 2 362 363 364 365 366
#4585764 - 11/23/21 11:45 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks folks, I appreciate the comments on Abbott's postwar tales. More to come soon.

And thank you to Raine and Epower on the draft of rules for the next great adventure. Most of them sound excellent though I do agree with others here about a few being very hard to follow. Once in a dogfight it would be more than difficult to break it off for reasons other than personal safety and self survival, and taking it all the way down to treetop level was often how they ended. I do agree about no claim submission unless you actually see the enemy plane crash, and I further agree about not chasing targets miles into hostile territory. However, fights over NML would often end up some little way over unfriendly ground before it was done, in particular for Entente pilots due to prevailing winds. And not attacking a single plane would most certainly be eliminating the bulk of early war encounters, plus it simply goes against the grain. And as noted, checking "no witness" on your claims form really is not a disadvantage as I have tested that both ways many times and can find no significant difference in the outcome.

How about, to address the issue of unrealistic tallies, going with a sliding scale where you count all confirmed kills until you make ace status, (five), then divide all future confirmed claims by two until you reach 30 on the victory board, then divide all awarded after that by three until you reach 50, and then divide all those after that by four. Going with something along these lines I can't imagine any of our pilots would see much more than 60 or so confirmed no matter how long they survive nor how good they are. Thoughts?.

#4585780 - 11/23/21 03:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I like your approach Lou. Part of the allure of WOFF is the quick calculation of run or fight. Or, my favorite, flying along peacefully and tracers whizz by my head and all heck breaks loose! Thinking about rules of engagement would seem to hinder that. This accounts for my lack of screenshots. It kills my buzz. That being said, its not my rodeo and I will go with whatever the powers that be dictate. Wouldn't miss it!

One final question. Will we be doing this here or will we be moving to the WOFF forum at Combat ACE?

Last edited by MFair; 11/23/21 03:17 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4585784 - 11/23/21 03:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Hedgehopping is my usual escape tactic. Of course, if I'm doing that I probably can't claim any kills.

If any of you aren't on the Facebook group; I have shared a link for a live lecture about RFC recruitment. Its happening online on Thursday at 18:00 gmt.
I think it would be very interesting for the DiD crowd.

Well done on some excellent storytelling everyone. Especially epower. You played a blinder

#4585797 - 11/23/21 05:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Maeran, thanks for the link, I'll check that out for sure!

MFair, my best guess would be that we'd be moving over to CombatACE, even if I got cozy and comfortable here in SimHQ too much..

#4585811 - 11/23/21 08:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Just things>

1. Less room on screen shots over at Combat Ace.

2. Depending on Start Date for the New War, The N-11 is a 5000ft fighter ( after taking forever to get that high ) in 1916. Some 2 seats were down at 3000ft so if the start date is 1916 or before then bottoming the fights altitude at 5000ft doesn't make sense. Heres hoping for some older types be be made by the creators ( non-flyable or flyable) for the Next War so we can start near the actual beginning.

3. I agree with Maeran. Hedgehopping or Running like E' LL are good escape tactics.

4. Winds: It was well known that winds at the time favored the Huns How to adjust ? Maybe Reducing speed when flying West ? Stopping all Kills when not over NML ?

5. The Huns had better machines and accounting to accounts attacked high up sun so a/c including SE 5 and Spads scores should reflect this ? How ? Cut scores by 50 % ?

6. Lastly, How to get MFair to fly the the War when he says something came up at the ranch ?

Attached Files imagescowgirl.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 11/23/21 09:19 PM.
#4585851 - 11/24/21 04:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Oh boy, reading the new ruleset is like studying for an university exam! biggrin

I wholeheartedly support any attempt at reducing those unrealistic kill counts (this is not Operation Barbarossa and we're not flying 109's), and for my pilots, I'm thinking of flying two-seaters for an extended period of time to help with the issue and make the (possible) eventual transfer to scouts more realistic and satisfying.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4585854 - 11/24/21 04:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - Well clearly I'm visiting the wrong ranches.

Hasse - Nice to see you around Sir! And there will be a test later.

Freddy's Story

(the continuation, part three)

1921 - Halcyon days. Frederick Abbott, man of leisure, had left England in his Supermarine Channel the first week of March and began his wanderings along the French coastline west and south. Not being in any hurry to get anywhere in particular, it took a fortnight before he'd even reached Biarritz, where he then stayed for a week. The Beardmore had developed an intermittent miss so Freddy went in search of a mechanic, fortuitously finding a first-rate one in a young man named Gérard Alaoui Cadieux. The lad had served as an AM in numerous escadrilles during the war and now, having been released from the military, was following a path similar to Freddy's, though with nowhere near the same amount of ready funds to his advantage. It was due to this lack of coin that he found himself currently stranded in Biarritz, enjoying the sun, sand, and scenery, while feeding his very thin pocketbook by tinkered about on motor launches and yachts in need of mechanical attention. He was a stout, handsome chap of French and Moroccan descent, his father being a low-ranking diplomat who'd spent time in various French colonies, and his mother a Rif Berber woman the senior Cadieux had met in Marsa Ben M'Hidi. Gérard's perpetually bronze skin, (no doubt a result of his mixed heritage), gave him a most healthy glow and one not lost on the vacationing ladies with wandering eyes in search of a potential indiscretion while on holiday. It didn't hurt either that the young man spoke beautiful French, as well as possessing a good command of English and Spanish, not to mention Tarifit, (the native tongue of his mother's people). He was also a fair hand in the kitchen when it came to preparing a meal; it wasn't haute cuisine mind you, but quite delicious none-the-less. Yes indeed, a man of many talents, not the least of which was his ability to keep an aeroplane in top form. And it was this last one in particular that prompted Abbott to make the fine fellow a business proposition. As they were both aimlessly exploring what the world had to offer, and as Gérard was fairly broke while Freddy had more than enough working capital to go around, (as well as a flying machine that would require regular attention), it seemed that they could mutually benefit from a partnership. And, while the initial arrangement may have started out as that of employer/employee, in short order the two men became fast friends.

[Linked Image]

(to be continued)

#4585883 - 11/24/21 08:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Enjoying these post-war, rounding-out stories gents' - thank you for posting.

@Lou, +1 for the suggestion to divide (by increasing numerical value) total kill tallies while moving forward in the war - a practical approach I think. I do however like all of those other rules suggested previously for a fresh DiD.

@All, regarding Carrick's good point of no currently available early war types -- until the good folks at OBD include a few very early types in BH&H2, might I humbly suggest, for added realism, loading the early Morane Parasol, also the 95hp Pfalz Parasol, as well as the more under-powered tweaks of the Nieup. 10 and 11 available in my FM pack for BH&H2 -- should help to give you a world of (prolonged) hurt if flying from about June of 1915 to early spring 1916. If you make it to ace status and if flying for the Central Powers prior to the beginning of 1916, for example, feel free to "award" yourself with the E.II(a) Eindecker tweak available in the FM pack - a bit more wiry and slippery that one than stock Eindeckers and should get you (more dangerously but maneuverably) to spring of 1916 before you are "downgraded" biggrin to the more docile E.III. Feel free to fly the stock Pfalz Parasol, also the stock Morane Parasol from about early 1916, as well as the stock Nieup. 10 and 11 (from about Feb/March of 1916, thereabouts - these latter two, in stock form, should disappear from the front by about the summer of '16 anyway, if not earlier). Overall, these few (very early) FM tweaks should help to give you detailed historical progression if you are a hardcore 1915/early 1916 flier.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 11/29/21 07:27 PM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4585982 - 11/26/21 03:54 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Von S: A wonderful suggestion and workable, even on the low end side. Early War= Parasol's or 2 Seat ( low ends with and without Mods } till N-10 comes up.

Hasse: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 109's

RAF; Just listing a cause for MFair hanging around the Corral instead of flying

Last edited by carrick58; 11/27/21 03:03 PM.
#4585993 - 11/26/21 06:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Wow!

Looks a good ruleset and I looking forward to trying to remember them in the new year, I like some of the idea too!

Thank all!
Seb

#4586216 - 11/30/21 11:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

MFair - I got home today after being away for a long weekend and my prize was waiting for me. It is B-E-A-U-tiful! Many thanks again for your very thoughtful gift, it is currently occupying a place of honor on our coffee table in the sitting room. yep

#4586230 - 12/01/21 01:25 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, hope you’ll enjoy your fruit bowl for a long time.
So, Freddy gets stuck in Biarritz with a wonky engine. What rotten luck to be grounded in such a terrible place. Why couldn’t it be the French Riviera? At least he’s got enough luck to have met a good mechanic. Hopefully Gérard will be able to fix the motor, fix a good meal and, as a bonus, fix Freddy with one of the ladies with the wandering eyes. Hopefully both eyes wander in the same direction. I sense a grand adventure in Africa thanks to Abbott’s new companion’s polyglot abilities.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4586550 - 12/06/21 08:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

I can feel it closing in...Do any of you feel a young chap inside you wishing to make something out of his life in the air war?

#4586563 - 12/07/21 11:36 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: trustworthykebab]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
I've got 4 different characters and can't decide which to go with first. Hopefully I can narrow it down in 3 weeks.

#4586573 - 12/07/21 05:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

My previous pilot was German...But it seems pretty tough to switch side this time, especially in early war...We'll see

#4586694 - 12/09/21 11:52 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Happy Holidays:

Attached Files BcQy3YsCMAA1jz8 twins.png
#4587276 - 12/16/21 04:50 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
What a Happy sentiment to end the war. Well done Carrick58! CT

S!Blade<><

#4587896 - 12/27/21 03:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

How I felt when my WOFF Pilot was shot down

Attached Files images How I felt losing my pilot.jpg
#4592389 - 02/22/22 05:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Mentally exhausted and with a brain turned to tapioca, I never did post a proper farewell in November. After some months of plotting out his life I find I'm not quite finished with Oliver's Tale after all. Far from finished, in fact. It's a difficult thing to let go. The full story would fill at least 4 books at present and that's well beyond the scope of a DiD valedictory, so I will give you the abridged version over the coming days. With the one day = one day phase of DiD4 upon us on March 1st, I must make haste

Thanks to Lou for revisiting Freddy. A most enjoyable collaboration

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 116

14 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Bisseghem, Flanders

I moved through these past two days as one dazed from a blow. Smokey missing, possibly dead.

[Linked Image]

I’ve written enough of those letters to read between the lines of Colonel Feland’s thinking. Smokey dead. He can’t be dead. He can’t be! No official telegram yet. Why would I receive one unless… did the Old Bull list me as his next of kin?

Defensive patrols continue but we see nothing. Old habits die slowly and I fly each patrol.

I feel somehow disconnected from reality. It’s over. There was neither a triumphant battle, nor wooden horse, nor the sacking of Priam’s city. The war simply ended one day.
I’m suddenly exhausted. The effort of will that sustained me through the last months bled away overnight. What was it for? Millions dead. I dreamed of Pixley last night. He was singing that stupid Eton boating song.

Where is Eliza? She’s not answered my letters.

The mail, so reliable during hostilities now trickles in at a spasmodic and inconsistent rate. Have you received my letter of XXXX? is now a common salutation. What now? All my thoughts of the future were hypothetical these past two years but now that it’s here.

15 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Bisseghem, Flanders

Late morning defensive patrol. Rainy with huge threatening Nimbus lurking overhead. Our last job for the time being. We move south of Lille tomorrow to Ennetières.

I made my report and walked out of the squadron office to see an entire squadron spiraling down in a landing pattern. Fuselage like a fat Camel, huge dihedral. Snipes! Angled lines bracketing the cockade. 43 Squadron are here! Last down was their Commanding Officer, a golden dragon rampant and a letter ‘A’ on the fuselage. It was Freddy.

[Linked Image]

All the gloom and rootless agitation of the past week vanished at the first sight of my friend.

“Freddy! How are you Old Man?! I had no idea 43 were coming here. Wing didn’t think to mention it.”

"Haw! Ripper old sport, how grand to find you here to greet us!", Freddy beamed as he jumped down from his mount and gave me a gloved slap on the shoulder. "And we'd no idea we were coming here either until HQ informed us last night. Typical, eh what?"

“Red Tabs! What’s a man to do? Come on up to the Squadron office when you’re settled. I’ve a decent bottle of 12-year old back in my hut. We can have a quiet afternoon. There won’t be much time to visit this evening what with 108 Sqn hosting both our squadrons for dinner.”

Taking my leave of Freddy, I checked in with Flight Sgt Fisher. Everything was under control and on schedule for tomorrow’s move. The men were old hands at the nomadic life now. Freddy spent much of the afternoon getting his Squadron sorted into their new home and didn’t make it to the office until 3.00. We decamped to my hut for refreshment.

Spartan though it was, my quarters boasted additional furniture and was positively luxurious compared to my previous billets. After our move to Cappy, Babson ‘acquired’ a small desk and two comfortable chairs. The small rug, though threadbare, gave the place a warmer more welcoming atmosphere. I cleared a space among the translation notes and texts on my desk and retrieved two tumblers from the drawer. The whiskey, a parting gift from Beery, was one I’d been saving for the proper occasion.

“To the future, and a better world,” I offered, raising my glass to meet Freddy’s.

We sat for minute in silence both lost in our own thoughts.

“It looks like your Ack Ems are packing up,” said Freddy, taking another draught of his whiskey.

“We’re off to Ennetières tomorrow," I replied.

"D*mn, so soon? Now that is hard cheese! I was hoping we'd have more time to catch up, and indulge in some serious celebration over the final defeat of those Hun buggers."

“We can celebrate being alive, at least. I’ve no idea how I made it through in one piece.”

As to the final defeat, I wasn’t so sure. Armistice was a far cry from surrender and the Huns had three million men under arms on foreign soil one week ago. Better we had kept going into Germany, but at what cost? I kept such murky thoughts to myself.

“Will you stay in the Air Force, Freddy?”

“Yes, I might make a career of it. Best way to see the world is from the cockpit of an aeroplane.”

“If it doesn’t work out you could always buy an aeroplane and go fossil hunting,” I said. “They’ll be selling them for pennies on the pound soon enough.”

“Now that is something I could truly make a calling of!
What about you, old sport?” he asked.

“I don’t know yet. I want to keep flying but I can’t stay without becoming a British Subject and the US Air Service is such a mess right now. I’m not sure I could transfer even if I wanted to. I made some enemies over there. Not one of my better plays but there it is.”

“We’ll bring you wayward colonials back after all!” cried Freddy triumphantly.

A few drinks in and we were both feeling much better.

“Still sailing the edge of the map, Ripper?”

“With Clarissa? You have no idea, Freddy. She d@mn near got me killed a month ago. A real cloak and dagger job. The less said about that the better. Let’s just say that affairs of the heart are… complicated. You remember that nurse I told you about?”

“The one you met on the ship?” he asked.

“Yes. Eliza. I thought I’d lost her but it was all a great misunderstanding. We’re back together. I’m not sure where it goes but she’s the girl for me.”

“I like the sound of that, Old Sport. Keep you away from Clarissa’s sorcery, what?”

A bit late for that. We be of one blood Clarissa and I and there’s nothing I can do about it.

“Speaking of nurses, Freddy, are you still friendly with that one you mentioned? I’m sorry, I don’t remember her name.”

“My Lizzie. She’s a peach,” said Freddy, taking another sip of the whiskey. When he didn’t elaborate, I changed the subject.

“Congratulations on your VC. We drank your health in the mess when the news came through.”

"Thanks Old Top, I appreciate that. It came as a surprise I can tell you. Many others far more deserving of the honour than the man who wears my shoes. At least this time I didn't make a complete cock-up of it when I met with the King at the Investiture, though he did appear to take amusement in my saying that His Majesty would be welcomed most cordially at Birchley House should He happen to find himself in Biddenden after the war."

“I know exactly how you feel, especially about the medal. As for a visit to Birchley House, His Majesty should be so lucky. What a splendid time we had that day. I do worry about your Mr. Pearson were Chef Nibley ever granted carte blanche for a royal visit.”

“Haw!”

“You know Freddy, I made a complete fool of myself the first time I met His Majesty. In front of Boom and a gaggle of Red Tabs too. I thought I was in for it but thankfully the King had a sense of humor.”

I related the story of the Bray Dunes fiasco last July. Freddy roared with laughter.

“I say, Ripper, what’s all this you have scattered about here?" asked Freddy, looking at the academic wreckage littering my desk. I haven’t seen Greek since Charterhouse. Never did make much sense of it. And Latin too.”

“Guilty as charged. I might sit for the Oxford examinations in the April. Throw my Hat in the Ring as it were. I haven’t decided yet but one must be prepared.”

When I told him of my meeting with Professor Murray Freddy laughed again.
“Haw! Can’t see a mariner like you stuffed into a library all day long, but here’s to Professor Ripper!”

19 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Ennetières, Flanders

Settled in now. No more patrols. Weather permitting I’ve been flying every day just for the pure joy of it. No orders yet as to the future disposition of No. 24 Squadron.

The bag resumed its place in A Flight hangar and sport is the order of the day for Officers and men alike. The football team has a good chance at the Squadron Cup. We won our match yesterday and then had our opponents to dinner. The evening went rather late.

This morning I read in the In the Squadron mess suggestion book from a guest of ours who shall remain anonymous. “To any officers of ____ Squadron: Try and remember that flying starts very early in the mornings, and that staying up with your hosts until early morning is bad for pilots’ nerves!”

26 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Ennetières, Flanders

News from Eliza at last! Her blasted letter took two weeks to reach me. All the surgical teams from 55 CCS moved to No. 41 Stationary Hospital on the 16th. That’s in Pont Remy just upriver from Abbeville. 70 miles away. No matter. I must see her!

Telegram from Eliza. Surprisingly clear instructions for once. Meet Café Vimeu, Abbeville. 1 Dec at Noon. I can’t wait. I’ve not seen her since August.

1 December 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Ennetières, Flanders

Café Vimeu, again. After the excruciating wait these past four days I couldn’t keep still. This time it was Eliza who was late, but only by half an hour. I bolted out of the café seeing the field ambulance approach. Eliza stepped out and ran into my arms. I swung her around as she hugged me tightly both of us laughing giddily. The joy of seeing her again, holding her again was overwhelming.

The food was light but delicious. Moules Marinières to start then a Quiche Lorraine whose flaky butter-rich crust, smoky ham and the magnificent Gruyere was a perfect follow up to the spice and garlic of the mussels. All of it washed down with a bottle of Vin Juane.

I had a two week Christmas leave coming. Eliza thought she might get away for a week at least. We made plans to meet in Paris.

[Linked Image]

The day was cold as we left the Café Vimeu but the sun splashed a bright winter light across the Place de Admiral Courbet.

“I took a room in quiet little hotel not far from here…”

“How very thoughtful,” she said. “One might think you’ve been planning this entire episode.”

“Shall we take a turn around the plaza then adjourn?”

“There’s a complication with your wicked plan, Oliver.”

“And what might that be?”

“Timing is everything…” she said.

“Whatever does that mean?

“It’s a conversation better held indoors.”

The room was the hotel’s finest and the only room with a bath en suite. The other rooms used the common bathroom down the hall. Small but elegantly furnished all out of proportion to such a modest establishment the hotel had a certain charm and more importantly a secluded location.

No sooner had I closed the door behind us than we locked in passionate embrace. My hands wandered as I kissed Eliza with the ardor of long separation.

“Oliver, stop.” she cried laughing. “We can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Like I said. Timing is everything.”

Merciful Gods! This is not happening!!!!

Seeing my look of incomprehension, she continued. “Because…Oh, Oliver we would have beautiful children, but I’m not ready to be a mother and that’s exactly what will happen if we go on.”

“I did bring a few Effel with me,” I whispered, biting her earlobe, and working my way down her neck.

She shivered and drew away.

‘We tried that before, remember?” she said with a knowing smile. “We both hate those things.”

“They are a bit uncomfortable, it’s true,” I said no longer concealing my disappointment. “What the hell am I going to do with this thing now?”

“My poor Young Bull.” she said, smiling her Eliza smile. “I have an idea.”

“Does it involve holding hands and thinking about President Wilson or Marshall Foch?”

“No.”

“Thank the gods! What then? A bath!”

“No, I bathed this morning. I was thinking about a contest,” she replied. “A contest in Latin.”

"Really? I should tell you, my dear, that while my Latin isn’t quite up to my Greek, Professor Murray did invite me to sit the Oxford entrance examinations in April.”

“Oh Oliver! That’s incredible news. How Marvelous! A celebration then! Ladies first,” she said, smiling wantonly.

“I think not, Senior Sister. It’s been a long time…a long time. When I’m finished with my…exposition, you won’t be able to speak coherently much less engage in any Latin elocution.”

“My heart is atwitter,” she said feigning shock and fanning herself with an open hand. “This sounds like a challenge, Major.”

“Don’t you see my metaphorical gauntlet cast down before you?”

Eliza swept her hand down toward the floor and in pantomime slapped me across the face with the invisible gauntlet.

“Accepted,” she said with mock severity. “What shall we wager?”

Eliza lay next to me. She held herself apart. Only my shoulder touched her but I could feel her heart slamming against her ribcage. Her breath still came in ragged gasps, as an athlete at the end of some monumental effort.

I caressed her thigh with the lightest touch. She shuddered again.
Even now, many minutes after, the waves of her crisis followed on, tiny convulsions like so many aftershocks of the earthquake.

“What on earth was that? Does it have a name like ... what was that again, that thing you did in London? The Sitar of ...” She paused, mind and body still reeling.

“Arjuna. No, this was no technique of the ancients. This was you. Only you. Like I said, it’s been a long time, for both of us it would appear. The day is yours, Mademoiselle. You are cruel, vaunting over me so terribly, as you did at the moment of your triumph.”

“Pyrrhic victory,” she said, still trying to catch her breath. “Oh my god, I think I hyperventilated.”

Time passed and as we lay in each other’s arms the long rays of the late afternoon sun bathed the far wall in a deep orange glow. Eliza, now fully recovered levered up on an elbow and rolled toward me, an inquisitorial look on her face.

What now? I wonder if she’ll ask me what I’m thinking?

“Oliver, we would have beautiful children. Have you ever thought about it?”

“About a future with you, Eliza? I dreamed it but never thought it possible until that day at the Dupont’s, when you told me about Tommy and we saw that rainbow land on the hillside. After that day everything changed.”

“I feel the same way,” she replied. “Yet…”

“Yet?” I ventured cautiously.

“Oliver, our love is one born in war. What happens now when the winds of change sweep the clouds away and we stand in a new age. Can we survive peace? Can you?”

Gods, let that be so…

“Let’s find out together. As long as you’re with me, Eliza, I don’t care what the future holds. Isn’t the story more interesting when you don’t know the ending?”

I thought to ask her then. Ask her to marry me, but the afterglow of lovemaking was the wrong time for such things.

Timing, Oliver. Timing is everything.

#4592427 - 02/22/22 08:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
You're BACK!!! More, dammit, more. Great stuff.

Page 364 of 366 1 2 362 363 364 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM