Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 362 of 366 1 2 360 361 362 363 364 365 366
#4585015 - 11/11/21 09:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lt Werner Rendel, GMVK, EK1
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

49 confirmed kills

11th November 1918

Sure enough Leutnant Schmid got a phonecall at 8am. A ceasefire was to come into force at 11am local time. All sorties were cancelled unless the airfield came under direct attack. It didn't and the men wandered aimlessly around the airfield not knowing what the hell to do with themselves.

Schmid sat by the phone for the rest of the morning waiting for some sort of orders but nothing.

Eventually he received word that Jasta 80 which was based nearby had been ordered to fly to Xaffervillers and surrender their machines to the French.

Werner spoke with Schmid, "We'll be told to do the same Ludwig, we have to get out of here!" said Werner.

"We can't just fly off Werner, I'm the CO!" Schmid responded.

"Exactly, you're the CO. At this moment we have received no orders, so you are free to issue your own! You can have us move anywhere!" replied Werner.

Schmid smiled grimly, "If only it was that simple junge".

Hours passed and several columns of German troops passed by the airfield heading back towards Germany.

At about 5pm, the phone did ring. Schmid answered, "Jah? He is here......."

Schmid called Werner to the phone. "Err yes sir, yes sir I believe my aircraft is fueled. I can leave at first light." said Werner.

After considerable discussion, Werner put the phone down and looked at Schmid.

"They've ordered me to travel to East Prussia. They're putting together a Jasta to combat communist insurgents around the Baltic. Oberleutnant Sachsenberg is leading it and has personally requested my presence there.

"You're presence? Just you?" said Schmid.

"That's all they said." said Werner.

If there was any envy in Schmid's voice he hid it well. "That's great news Werner, sit down, we need to plan your route and get your passes printed." he said.

They worked out the journey, which involved a two stop leg to Cologne and then onto Hanover, via Dortmund, where Werner would have time to look in on his parents.

Then onto Lübeck, where Werner would meet up with the other members of the Jasta before heading out east towards East Prussia.

Attached Files Screenshot_20211110-200817~2.pngScreenshot_20211110-200859~2.pngScreenshot_20211110-201626~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4585017 - 11/11/21 09:45 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Thank you very kindly, MFair for your thoughtful and generous gifts. It has been a long war indeed, though I am a relative newcomer (1 April 2020) compared to those stalwarts who began in Nov 2018. Alas, RL kept some from continuing but that's what the next Campaign is for! Reading those early tales started as a precaution against my repeating previous storylines, but soon turned into a time traveler's refuge, especially during the many episodes of writer's block, or when Oliver's voice eluded me. One of my Winter projects is to go back and read this thread straight through, just not at one sitting.

If I've won anything it is an ongoing sense of respect and admiration for the superb storytellers of the DID and their astonishing creativity, breadth of historical knowledge and d@mn fine writing.

I actually thought I knew something about the Great War in the Air when I started this endeavor... Hah! 20 months later I'm a little less ignorant. Oliver's Tale is much richer for all the help, guidance and inspiration I've received from our little community of madmen.

It's not all chasing Huns, Krumpets, Yanks, Franzhosen, and of course, Les Femmes... Somebody actually has to do some work to keep the machinery running smoothly. Congratulations to Raine and Lou for their well-earned prizes.

Raine, CM Great and Terrible - So much of what makes the DID successful, and so bloody much fun, stems from your leadership and the challenges you set before us. Thank you for the tutelage, sage advice and patient answering of my myriad questions. I see our ongoing PM post count nearing 400 and look forward to many more. Rula Lenska ain't got nuthin' on you when it comes to showing someone around London, not to mention the Great War.

Lou - I shall never ever see another Cigar without the image of your Gong Fairy leaping to the fore. Many thanks for your tireless graphic efforts in that role, and on the 'dromes too! They add considerably to the immersion and enjoyment of the campaign. Tremendous fun collaborating on the Oliver/Freddy crossovers.

Fullofit - Indefatigable machine! I shall miss my nightly video staple of your amusing and occasionally terrifying exploits. I managed to squeak Oliver past the 200 mark mostly by virtue of longevity. You had four (?) men crack the Century mark during that time and another week would have seen Klaus there as well.

Carrick - Your last man seemed to really find his stride. Great fun watching Cecil's adventures and those of his predecessors. I eagerly await your upcoming publication, "Nurses of the DID." Brilliant and hilarious pics.

Albert - Many souls sent to Hades at the hands of your men. I lost track of the number of times I quoted Willi's line from the Blue Max, "I'll have to watch you." Impressive flying and some fantastic stories. Will be fun to see where it leads when we have more time in the next campaign.

NR & TWK - Glad you'll both be back. Your enthusiasm is already energizing me for the next go round.

BB - I will always remember with amusement your initial thinking about Eliza's yowls when Oliver had hold of her foot in the tub. A filthy mind is a terrible thing to waste. I will echo Raine's thanks for your splendid clouds. I do hope we can tempt you into the air come the new year.

Maeran - If you're out there, thanks again for all the help with Oliver Stewart back when our boy was with 54.

Lederhosen - Oliver may find his way to South Africa some day. He and Willi will have much to discuss.

VonS - Come and join us.

Hasse, Seb, Wulfe, HarryH and all the others I didn't overlap with and whose names I'm omitting, thanks for the stories and don't be strangers when 'We DID it again."

Last edited by epower; 11/11/21 11:34 PM.
#4585030 - 11/12/21 02:33 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 114

11 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Bisseghem, Flanders

We went up to the aerodrome only to discover that the bottom has really fallen out of the war.
Orders from General Salmond: After 11 a.m. we are not to shoot at a Hun under penalty of Court Martial.

A strange end. This will take a bit of realizing.

10.00 I took F5459 up once more, this time for the pure joy of flying.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by epower; 11/12/21 02:34 AM.
#4585052 - 11/12/21 03:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Great Fun everyone and Thanks to Raine for doing the Leg work.

#4585063 - 11/12/21 07:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Just in case you were all suffering a withdrawal... Then there's the massive exhale as we pass the Armistice. When we reach for all the drive and energy that sustained and suddenly find it missing. <Cue the sound of the Hyperdrive not starting in 'Empire Strikes Back'>

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 115

12 November 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Bisseghem, Flanders

Armistice night continued into the predawn hours for all ranks. Let us hope the Huns keep to their side of the bargain. To that end, at 10.00 I joined Carruthers and A Flight on a defensive patrol. No German aircraft sighted.

Our mail, long overdue, finally caught up with us.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by epower; 12/26/21 06:44 PM.
#4585073 - 11/12/21 09:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Epower - So the brass are keeping up with routine patrols. Better than just sitting around twiddling one's medals. Here's hoping the letter is right and Butler is out there somewhere.

Lt Werner Rendel, GMVK, EK1
Kampfgeschwader Sachsenberg
En route to Lübeck

49 confirmed kills

Werner's final hurrah........

Werner was up early and double checked everything on his machine. He said his goodbyes to everyone and particularly Leutnant Schmid, he felt no guilt as such, he was simply glad to be doing something, or on his way to doing something anyway, but he did feel for Leutnant Schmid, having to stay here and await the inevitable.

He took off in his DVIIF and headed north east. His route took him via Trier and Gerolstein before seeing Cologne off to the left and landing at the small airfield a few miles out of town.

The papers he'd sorted out with Schmid yesterday proved invaluable. At every point they were checked and checked again.

After an uncomfortable night's sleep in a local barracks, he made his way to Dortmund and an emotional reunion with his parents. The city was in turmoil, 'reds' where all over the place and the local police seemed powerless to cope. For a moment, Werner thought about staying and fighting here but he was persuaded by his parents to carry on with his orders.

He slept in his own bed for the first time in years and bid an emotional farewell to his parents before heading back to the airfield and making his way to Hanover, Hamburg and finally, late on the 15th, he reached Lübeck.

On presenting himself at the army HQ in the town, he was informed that the geschwader was still forming up and with pilots and personnel coming in from all over the place, it was liable to be several days, possibly weeks before the unit was ready to leave for East Prussia.

After being assigned some quarters near the town's airfield, Werner managed to wangle some leave and decided to head upto the Flensburg area.

After a day of travels he finally found Inge's family farm and introduced himself. He was made welcome and stayed for a couple of days, he ate heartily as the Horsfeld's farmed cattle. He even helped Inge's father, Josef, around the farm, getting it ready for the coming winter.

Inge was a lovely girl and was grateful that Werner had sought her out. The pair talked a lot and promised to keep in touch.

Werner headed back to Lübeck where he found Oberleutnant Sachsenberg had arrived, together with Oberleutnant Theo Osterkamp and Leutnant Josef Jacobs. However a lot of pilots still had to arrive.

Sachsenberg confirmed they'd be heading out to Riga and Werner would be reacquainted with ground attack aircraft, specifically the new types designed by Hugo Junkers.

Eventually the Geschwader is finalised and heads out east to Riga. Operations against the communists begin and Werner shows his prowess once more.

Throughout the next 12 months he serves with the Geschwader and keeps in touch with Inge and his parents.

When the operations in Riga come to an end and the components of the Versailles agreement become fact, Werner finds himself out of work.

He heads back to Flensburg and stays on the Horsfeld's farm helping Inge and her family on the farm.

After a while he becomes involved in the local Freikorps. With his military history and renown he becomes one of the leaders and spends the next couple of years around Schleswig-Holstein. There is spare time to be enjoyed and Werner and Inge announce their engagement towards the end of 1920.

In 1922 Werner and Inge are wed, but Werner is becoming uneasy at some of the politics and extremism around Germany, as he tells those around him, he is a proud German but he is not going to associate himself with halfbaked and idiotic ideologies.

As the Nazis begin to extend their influence, Werner and Inge decide to emigrate. He's offered a job in Brazil flying passengers around the country and in 1926 they set up home near Rio de Janeiro. Just before they leave they have to return to Flensburg to attend Inge's father's funeral and arrange the sale of the farm.

They have two children, Leopold and Greta, while in Brazil and whilst they enjoy their time in South America, they want to set up a permanent home in the US. Werner gets a job working with the new Boeing company in Seattle and they move to the US in 1931.

Werner and Inge have another child, Josef in Seattle in 1932 and Werner is lucky to keep working throughout the depression.

As the 30's develop and new conflicts approach, Werner is offered work as an advisor to the USAAF which he accepts.

Werner's parents pass away during this period and he makes what will be his last trips to Germany to attend their funerals. He is horrified at what Germany has become under the Nazis and is thankful to return back to the US.

When war breaks out, Werner, now a US citizen, stays working as an advisor to the USAAF. Werner's oldest son Leo enlists in the USMC and fights in many battles around the Pacific. He is killed whilst fighting on Okinawa in 1945.

After the war the Rendel family moves to Santa Barbara where Werner works for American Airlines until his retirement in 1962.

Inge passed away in 1974 and Werner followed suit in 1982, still in Santa Barbara.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgScreenshot_20211112-075218~2.pngScreenshot_20211110-201204~2.pngScreenshot_20211014-203133~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4585132 - 11/14/21 01:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Let's do the Time Warp again! The Gong Fairy, (who by the way would fit in perfectly with that lot from RHPS), has looked into his crystal ball, (he only has the one), and is prepared to foretell of the war's end awards to come in early 1919. The first group to be put up are those from feisty little Belgium, followed by a handful of others soon to be posted. And so, without further ado...

#4585133 - 11/14/21 01:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Attention!

[Linked Image]

King Albert of Belgium proclaims that the following individuals shall be recognized for their outstanding contributions in securing victory over our enemies:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The people of Belgium offer their sincere thanks for your service and sacrifice.

#4585139 - 11/14/21 04:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

[Linked Image]

By Royal Authorization, dated 26 July 1919, the following individuals are to be recognized for their faithful service by award of the British War Medal and the Allied Victory Medal:

Major Oliver Alden Winningstad
Major Frederick H.B. Abbott
Captain Robert Fergus Drummond
Lieutenant Cecil P. Fawnsworth

[Linked Image]

A grateful people thank you all for your sacrifice and loyalty.

#4585140 - 11/14/21 04:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

[Linked Image]

As prescribed by official promulgation the following individual is to be presented, and allowed to wear, the Silber Verwundetenabzeichen for wounds suffered during the War:

[Linked Image]

As prescribed by official promulgation the following individuals are to be presented, and allowed to wear, the Schwarz Verwundetenabzeichen for wounds suffered during the War:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The German people thank you for your sacrifice.

#4585148 - 11/14/21 05:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

WOFF members waiting for the next Campaign to begin

.https://giphy.com/gifs/5hxrnfcvarTa7Sml02/fullscreen

#4585250 - 11/15/21 11:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Journal of Wing Commander Robert Fergus Drummond, DSO, DFC, AFC, ROC (Bel)
Royal Canadian Air Force (Retd)

Part 26

[Linked Image]
"...I was flying over some incredibly dramatic terrain and above the heads of some rather nasty types from the tribal regions."

We passed the evening of the armistice day in celebration. The men built a large bonfire at one end of the field, and we fed it with scavenged branches, bits of lumber, and broken spars and longerons. Our entire supply of flares was fired off into the night sky. MacBean took the lead in preparing a vile punch in a large basin and we passed about mugs of the stuff. There was much speculation whether the fighting was truly over or whether it was a mere lull. The fire died down and the night grew chill and I made my way unsteadily back to my tent.

For several days we remained in an odd sort of limbo, ready and alert if called upon but in truth idle and aimless. Major Russell had us flight commanders practice close formation flying (a thing I have never been fond of). He organised games of rugby and football with other squadrons and with several infantry battalions billeted nearby. Finally, we received orders to move and, on 16 November 1918, relocated westward to Izel-le-Hameau. This was a lovely, well-established aerodrome that shared an immense field with the aerodrome called Filescamp Farm. Together, the aerodromes could easily station six squadrons. Here we had nicely appointed Nissen huts with iron stoves, a spacious wooden mess building with a fireplace, and a proper squadron office. There were good huts for the NCOs and other ranks, too. Through December we began to lose our comrades to demobilisation. The more newly-arrived Americans went first, transferred to the US Air Service. The veterans all stayed on with the RAF. I got a letter from Hale a few months later. He was still in the RAF, serving as a flight leader in 85 Squadron, part of the occupying force in Germany. Bogart Rogers remained. He shared a hut with me and MacBean. In January 1919, Major Russell fell ill with influenza and left us. I was promoted to Temporary Major and given command of the squadron. Soon afterwards my substantive rank was confirmed as captain. From January through May, we lost the rest of our people, except for Lieutenant Adamson, my Recording Officer, and Rogers, my last flight commander. Then the order came to return our last two SE5 machines to the depot, there to be rendered into glue. It took a few more days to finish up the sea of paperwork, in which I was to account for every screw and bolt, every round of ammunition, every yard of tentage. At last it was time to return to England.

I was given a month’s leave. Edie and I had lost touch and I had no family in England. I bought some good boots and a small pack and went walking. Before leaving London, I looked up Zink. He was back with his family in Willesden, up at the north edge of the city. We had a lovely dinner and he gave me his bed whilst he slept in the front parlour. Then I was off. I headed north and west, and after two days found myself in Oxford. From there I made my way to Cheltenham, from where I took a train north to the Lake District. I spent a full two weeks there, exhausting myself amongst the mountain pathways and communing with blackface sheep. The simple pleasure of ending a day in a slate-floored public house with a savoury pie and pint of good ale in front of a coal fire helped me to clear the war residue from my brain. By month’s end I was back in London, staying at the RAF Club and contemplating my future.

A new permanent commission list was out, and I was very pleased to see that I was listed as a flight lieutenant – the new RAF equivalent of a captain / flight commander. Part of me had hoped for a confirmation as a squadron leader. Then I saw the names of several people I had known as majors during the war who were themselves listed as flight lieutenants. I counted myself lucky.

I reported to Bolo House and received orders. A new adventure was about to begin, for I was posted as a flight commander with 5 (HQ) Squadron at Ambala Cantonment in northwest India. This was a Bristol Fighter unit; it would be like going home. My passage was booked on the SS Sardinia, a P&O cargo liner leaving London for Bombay on 24 October. So for the next three months before departure, I was pegged as an instructor at the School of Army Co-Operation at Old Sarum, near Salisbury.

To bring my story to a close, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in India. Even then, one had the sense that the Empire was winding down. It was necessary to soak up every experience possible. Life as a burra sahib in Ambala was easy. I learned to play cricket. As a sport goes, it is a fine excuse to drink gin. They also attempted to teach me polo. Horses and I, we discovered, rarely see eye to eye. To say I was poor at the game would be the understatement of the century. Hunting was something I took to more readily, and I was beginning to amass quite the trophy collection before I met Florence. Florrie Patterson was the youngest daughter of a staff colonel from New Delhi. She visited Ambala to see a friend of hers whose father worked with RAF headquarters. We fell for each other quickly and married in the spring of 1920, not long before 5 Squadron moved to Peshawar.

Florrie was pregnant with our son John when the posting to Peshawar came. She returned to New Delhi while I was there. It was a difficult time for her because she knew that I was flying over some incredibly dramatic terrain and above the heads of some rather nasty types from the tribal regions. Stories of what would happen if one was forced down in a remote Afghan valley were the stuff of nightmares. Apparently, the locals didn’t fancy it when you interrupted their daily sniping by dropping bombs on their heads.

John was three years old and our daughter Emily was a newborn by the time I was done with Peshawar. Around this time, I received orders to return to England to attend a staff course in preparation for promotion. At the same time I received a letter out of the blue from my old friend Bogart Rogers. Bogey was back in Los Angeles and working as a screenwriter for the motion pictures. He had also worked as a technical adviser on a couple of films dealing with aviation. He suggested that I join him, because he had more work on the technical side than he could deal with. Florrie’s parents were back in Britain and we had nothing holding us in India any longer. So we “pulled pole” and moved to Los Angeles.

Rogers was the most brilliant friend and introduced us to everyone he knew, and in particular he introduced me to the motion picture business. I soon found myself with three or four projects relating to aircraft. In addition, I began to work alongside technicians, helping them to build models and design special effects for movies with aerial scenes. In the meanwhile, Rogers began to produce several of his own films, including one about flyers in the Great War with Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, and Fredric Marsh. Later he started the company that made the camera equipment used to tell which horse won close races. The thing made him a wealthy man, and he unfailingly shared his prosperity by inviting Florrie and I to dinners and parties and by taking me golfing. Golfing, by the way, ranks up there with polo in my list of accomplishments.

When war broke out in 1939, we moved the family to Canada, to a lovely farmhouse just north of Toronto. I volunteered for the Royal Canadian Air Force and was given command of a flight school and the rank of Wing Commander, eventually retiring in 1944 due to ill health.

[Drummond’s journal ends here. He is thought to have written this last section sometime in early 1945. He suffered a heart attack in April of that year and died. Florrie Drummond moved to Montréal after her husband’s death to be closer to their son John, who was a senior manager with a large insurance company. She lived there until her death in 1979.]

Attached Files Bristol over Afghanistan.jpg
#4585252 - 11/15/21 11:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
What a journey it has been! Congratulations to all of you for seeing it through to the end.

MFair – Thank you sincerely for the wonderful platters you have made to recognise the campaign. And congratulations to Epower for a stellar tale. Someone with more energy than I needs to gather this altogether and publish it!

Epower – I am so happy that you have agreed to work together on the next campaign. I'll be sharing some ideas with you shortly. I think we have exchanged several hundred PMs over the last couple of years and you have never failed to intrigue me with your questions and with your discoveries about the 1914-1918 period. You left us with a cliffhanger concerning the letter received on 12 November. Do I detect another episode or two yet to come?

Lou – What a lovely surprise. I was too busy last week to work on citations and I checked my phone on the weekend to see that the Gong Fairy had already visited and all the gifts were beautifully wrapped. Thank you for your untiring efforts throughout the last three years. Best of luck and keep us informed about your brilliant modding work.

Albert – Wonderful final chapter. It's relieving to know that Werner is back with a good group of comrades and an honourable mission.

Carrick – A suitable sentiment in your last GIF. As Lou would say, "New guys buy the drinks."

Fullofit – Thank you for such a stirring final scene from Jasta 18!

Seb – Stirring post for Remembrance Day. Words I have often heard on parade.

Not Relevant – Thank you for your kind thoughts and for staying in touch. Hope you will be with us next time around.

#4585272 - 11/16/21 11:02 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

The forum feels more empty now, doesn't it?

#4585285 - 11/16/21 03:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: trustworthykebab]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted by trustworthykebab
The forum feels more empty now, doesn't it?

Calm before the storm!

Excellent final reports everybody. It's a special feeling when a DID campaign comes to an end - especially if you've flown with the same pilot for a long time.

I'm toying around with some ideas for my new pilot, but obviously can't decide on anything until details of the next DID become available.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4585310 - 11/16/21 08:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

It's astounding, time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
But listen closely, not for very much longer
I've got to keep control...

Lou - Another tour de force by the Gong Fairy. Thank you very much for the lovely medals and your tireless work summoning Cigar ash and tulle. Bravo!

Raine - A fine Coda to Drummond's illustrious career. As chance would have it, The Eagle and the Hawk sits in my blu-Ray player as I type. Watched it last night. Dark stuff indeed. Jack Oakie who played Mike 'Slug' Richards sure seemed a doppelganger for Elliott White Springs.
Looking forward to DIDIV. And yes, I find I have a bit more of Oliver's Tale left to tell. Stay tuned.

TWK - It did go quiet rather quickly. Fear not. See above post.

Last edited by epower; 11/16/21 08:07 PM.
#4585313 - 11/16/21 08:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - A veritable feast of bling, thank you for Werner's wound badge.

Raine - Fergie was left twiddling his thumbs rather like the rest of the RAF until that assignment in India. Thank heavens he was flying a reputable beast like the Brisfit over those fearsome mountains. Edie's loss was Florrie's gain and the pair enjoyed some great years by the sounds of it. A shame Fergie couldn't enjoy his retirement. As for Werner, he was a man of strong character and thankfully a dose of common sense too.

Looking forward to the new DIDIV, I too have some ideas on (hopefully) strong characters.

#4585314 - 11/16/21 09:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Great final chapters from everyone and a spooky time travelling trick from Lou. That flash of light was disconcerting. Thanks for the final gong Lou and many thanks to Raine for organizing this event. After taking a short break here’s the rest of Raben’s story.

Klaus and August were interred along with their machines after landing at Saargemünd collection depot. Both men gave fake names at the processing station and soon were released to return back to Germany to demobilization depots. After returning home to their family, they spent new year back in Hamburg. The two man were then recognized in January by receiving the wound badge in silver. August was a bit miffed he wasn’t eligible for one in gold. Then, in the spring of the same year they were off to Riga to fight the Reds in the German-Russian West Army under the command of Pavel Bermondt-Avalov. Klaus always following August, remained with his cousin in Baltic States until December when the two men returned to Germany again. It was another bitter pill to swallow, another defeat. As in 1918, the two men returned back to Hamburg. Klaus counted on his cousin to lead the two men to better things. Times were tough and work hard to come by. Finally in 1921 the two pilots landed a job with Afrikanischen Frucht-Compagnie AG based in Cameroon delivering fresh bananas all over Europe.

[Linked Image]

This lasted until August was contacted by the new government and learned of plans to secretly begin rebuilding the airforce. The little man in power promised great things and the two men were easily convinced to enlist in Luftwaffe. There was only one condition, the two men would have to join Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei. Both eagerly signed on the dotted line and were soon met by other Great War pilots. They were all being now led by Hermann Göring, an odd choice, one that was frequently questioned by men who knew him. Nevertheless their careers appeared to be on the rise. It was also here the two cousins were separated. Klaus was ordered to Spain, where the Nationalists have requested German government’s assistance. A new legion was formed for this task, Eiserne Legion, later renamed by Göring to Legion Condor. Klaus was in good company, making friends with Werner Mölders and Adolf Galland, testing new models of Messerschmitt Bf-109. First type C then type E in December of 1938. At the end of hostilities in April of 1939 Klaus received the Spanienkreuz. (Looking at you, Lou) His extensive experience in test-flying new prototypes brought him close to the Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau AG company. His friendship with the technical director Kurt Tank kept him away from the frontlines when Germany invaded Poland. Tank, a test pilot himself kept Raben involved in the development of the Würger.
15 June 1940, was a date Klaus would not forget. His cousin, Albert was killed while fighting in France. It was a huge blow for him. Klaus would begin to drink heavily until nearly dismissed and threatened with being sent to Eastern Front. He cleaned up his act and was consumed by his work on the latest Wunderwaffe, the Ta 183 Huckebein.
May 1945, Tank ran out of time and resources. The war ended and with it came another defeat for Germany. Klaus was often toying with his Parabellum in his lonely apartment after prolonged drinking binges, but never managed to pull the trigger. Always too drunk or too scared to finish it all. In late 1947 Kurt Tank was forced to take refuge in Argentina. He took Klaus with him, along with many other engineers and settled in Córdoba working at IA Fabrica Militar de Aviones (FMA). Tank would continue his work on Ta 183 there and Raben would be one of the test pilots. The new design would be called FMA IAe 33 Pulqui (Arrow) II.

[Linked Image]

The first powered flight took place on 27 June 1950 and tests continued for the next two years. On 11 October 1952 the president of Argentina, Juan Perón was visiting the FMA factory and Tank decided to demonstrate his jet to him. Klaus was at the controls of the third prototype descending towards the airfield. He then attempted to pull up and perform a spiral turn, but his machine went into an inverted spin. Klaus attempted a recovery by diving close to the ground. His wing snagged the ground, scattering debris across the airfield. Raben was dead. He was not survived by any family members.

(Did you know Focke-Wulf in its current form is called Airbus? Did you also know FW merged with Albatros-Flugzeugwerke in 1931? Airbus is really Albatros!)

Attached Files AFC.jpgPulqi II.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4585315 - 11/16/21 09:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Fullofit, Schutzmeier had a good laugh when he read what Goering was doing in WWII. He knew that can of worms would never change.

#4585317 - 11/16/21 09:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Kebob, I hope he did that behind Göring's back!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 362 of 366 1 2 360 361 362 363 364 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics