Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 355 of 366 1 2 353 354 355 356 357 365 366
#4583492 - 10/24/21 10:02 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

24 October 1918
Buckingham Palace
London, England

[Linked Image]

#4583511 - 10/24/21 03:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wow, impressive. Thanks for sharing RAF Lou.

#4583512 - 10/24/21 04:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.MM. WOFF Wound Stripe.
Lt , Rfc, 54
Villa Du Cap. 13 Rue
De Ville Monte- Carlo,
France.

Oct 25 , 1918.

11 Victory Confirmed
7 Unconfirmed

Arrived at my Villa , I say , Bright and cheery My Live in Nurse arrives to night Tuff time getting away from the Military people, but Money does wonders as my Aunt says. I am looking forward to being up and around and popping next door to Monaco and the Night Spots.

Attached Files crop_9999_666_Maison-du-Bon-Temps-Provence-Olivers-Travels-2.jpg
#4583521 - 10/24/21 06:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - Superb shots

Carrick - That looks like a lovely place to get a rest.....or not depending on the nurse.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4583525 - 10/24/21 06:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fw Werner Rendel
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

10 confirmed kills

24th October 1918

After breakfast, Werner had gone over to the flight line to look over his new mount. Muhr had done a fine job again painting his emblem on both sides. Werner didn't spend too long out there though, the rain was tipping down as the weather had closed in yet again.

Leutnant Schmid took the briefing and confirmed that the Jasta would be heading down to St Die to patrol the lines.

Werner was one of the last to get airborne but was amazed by the power as he did. He had to throttle back almost straight away to stay in formation. Even throttled back the DVIIF climbed like a knife through butter.

The trip south went quietly although it seemed an age before they climbed through the clouds.

As they neared St Die Werner signalled, he'd spotted a formation ahead and below getting pounded by flak. It was a flight of SPADs who now realised their predicament.

The blue Fokkers of 78 had the advantage and dived down into the attack.

Werner singled out an enemy aircraft at the back of the group and blasted the Frenchman as he desperately tried to evade.

The SPAD turned and dived and Werner followed. The rest of the Jasta seemed to be making light work of the SPADs and Werner wanted to bag one himself.

The SPAD levelled out and tried to come around at Werner. Werner was too quick however, both in thought and deed, as he hammered the Frenchman again with a long burst. He was tearing chunks out of the SPAD and a final burst had the enemy aircraft lurching over and spinning down into the ground.

Werner took stock and could only see Fokkers. He formed back up and they finished their patrol before heading home.

On landing and reporting in, five SPADs had been downed although a Fokker had been lost. Gefreiter Manfred Heumann had been seen to go straight in and was almost certainly dead. Heumann, from Wittelshofen, had been with the Jasta for three weeks.

Later on Schmid spoke with Werner. "How did you find your new mount Feldwebel?" asked the Leutnant.

"It was amazing sir, it has so much more power and yet is more maneuverable as well." replied Werner.

"Yes, how we could have done with this aircraft 6 months ago. Now, it's a great aircraft too late." said Schmid.

"I have news of your claims junge, the Breguet from yesterday has been confirmed, however the SPAD from yesterday and the one from today have been rejected I'm afraid. Still, that brings you to 11 confirmed kills. Keep going meine junge." said Schmid.

"I intend to Herr Leutnant." finished Werner.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4583534 - 10/24/21 11:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, look at you! A brand spanking new mount for Werner. Even Klaus with his 100 odd confirmed kills doesn’t fly latest toys. I guess someone has to. I expect great things from Werner in his latest and greatest flying machine. That tombola didn’t spin well for him, but those SPADs sure did. Keep them coming.
As to his paint job, everything would have been fine as long as Werner painted it on the Bavarian Rauten.
Rauten or not, Werner got himself into a fight with the Bréguets and the SPADs. His Fokker passed the exam with “flying” colours. (Is that where the expression comes from? New paint job and all that?)
So today another test in the new machine and the test went well. Not so well for the SPAD, but the tombola strikes again and strips Werner of his hard earned kills. Welcome to Raben’s frustrating world.

Lou, no such luck with those claims as you will see.
I knew there had to be more to it than just a simple Investiture. I’m glad Mr. Pearson gets to keep his spot in the crowd at the ceremony. As for Lizzie, I can’t believe she’s pimping Ms. Prudence to a Canadian, of all things. Such promiscuity! Freddy on the other hand enjoys entertaining. Has he thought of joining the industry once the war is over?
So, it looks like he survived the night and may have even attended the ceremony, but where is he in those pictures? Is he standing in queue to receive his decoration? Any missteps? He did not offer the King a tour of London by any chance?

24 October, 1918 07:45
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
157 confirmed kills

Only the SPAD on fire from two days ago has been confirmed.
Raben was tracking a flight of SPADs flying higher just north of Verny. One of the enemy pilots was more enthusiastic than the rest and attacked alone. Klaus left him with the rest of his Schwarm, but after waiting for the other enemy planes to come down and play, which they were reluctant to do, he decided to join the games and went after the solitary SPAD. He had a few good runs at it, but eventually was pulled away by the other SPADs, which finally decided to join the fight. He tangled with one that preferred to dogfight by spinning. Klaus didn’t mind and managed to put a few holes into him while doing his favourite spin trick. He then followed him and blew off the tip of the wing. A second later the rest of the wing came off under the pressure from the Spandaus. He went down the way he fought, spinning. Klaus then looked for another victim. He had a few candidates and settled on one that was chasing another Fokker. He got a few rounds into the enemy as they passed each other head-on. He then stuck to his tail and pounded him mercilessly. The French scout went down after being devastated by Raben’s Spandaus.

YouTube Link

They were now returning back to Montingen when they were met by a tercet of Bréguets. Klaus went head-to-head with one of them and was sure he registered some solid hits. He then got behind him and punished the enemy machine some more. Smoke began to emanate from the engine and by the looks of things the beast was struggling to stay afloat. Klaus sensed an impending kill and went for it, but the rear gunner was still active and dissuaded Raben from following. There was no need, the enemy machine was making lazy spirals towards the ground. Instead, Klaus went after another machine making another Fokker sweat. As soon as Klaus arrived on the scene the other Fokker made himself scarce and the Bréguet took great interest in the latest arrival. The distance was rather large between the two to make an easy kill and Klaus had to stay back to avoid precise fire from the G/O. Raben didn’t realize how little ammo he had left and after he’d ran out, it took him by surprise. He quickly nosed down to leave the fight and the lucky Bréguet did not object.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4583542 - 10/25/21 06:22 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - That was a fun packed sortie for Klaus there. Firstly the SPADs, they had a plan which actually almost worked. Send the lone SPAD down and when everyone is on his tail the others show up and attack. Klaus took some damage but thankfully nothing serious. That first SPAD fell apart very sweetly, the second looked like he'd hit the pilot. Then onto the Breguets, they really are a tough ask when they're being aggressive like that. Just when Raben thought he had him, the gunner thought otherwise and smacked the Fokker about a bit. Finally the beast fell. As for Werner, yes the tombola is against him at the moment as it appears to be against Klaus too, all we can do is keep plugging away. The new mount helps, it is very nice to fly.

#4583602 - 10/25/21 05:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, I wonder how the French decide who should be that lone pilot to go down there and be the bait? The one that draws the shortest baguette? The Bréguets are always more of a challenge with the rear gunner keeping the enemy at bay.
As for those claims, it all depends what day they were made. Some are luckier than others.

25 October, 1918 09:45
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
159 confirmed kills

Both SPADs confirmed.
Ground forces support north of Forêt de Puvenelle. The Schwarm never reached their intended target. They were intercepted by a squadron of SPADs halfway to the Front. Klaus was lucky not to get involved in the initial attack, but waited for the enemy to come down and get him. One of them did, but was easily outmaneuvered and after a series of head on passes dove down to safety. Klaus wasn’t about to follow.

YouTube Link

Instead, he found another SPAD chasing his wingmate. He went after the pair and cleared the bogey off his tail. While following the diving target, he spotted another SPAD approach and quickly switched targets. The other one has had enough and was on his way to crash anyway. Raben was suckered into following his new foe in a turn. The enemy went for a dive and left Klaus behind. In his frustration Raben sent a few parting shots at the enemy. To Raben’s surprise the retreating enemy turned around and was now coming at him for payback. Did he hit him and force him to fight, or was it the enemy’s plan all along? It didn’t matter. The fight was back on, but not for long. Klaus was lucky and must have hit something vital. The SPAD went down very soon after. That was the last of the enemy planes. Raben gave the signal to return to base.

YouTube Link

#4583610 - 10/25/21 06:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Congratulations on the confirmed claims and then to today's shenanigans. The SPADs were hard to spot in that weather so Klaus did well tracking them, especially from above. Another couple of victories in the bag(uette) to test the claims guy some more.

#4583615 - 10/25/21 07:00 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fw Werner Rendel
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

11 confirmed kills

25th October 1918

Heumann's body had not been recovered, the whole area was under artillery fire. Added to that was the continuing rain, turning the whole front into a quagmire again. The airfield was also taking a battering.

Leutnant Schmid took the briefing and explained that the mission today was over to Luneville which was really the pivot for the southern flank.

Twelve aircraft took off in two groups and headed out south west towards the front. The weather made flying unpleasant and visibility very poor, at least until they climbed above the clouds.

As they began the first lap of their patrol around Luneville, Werner saw aircraft off to the right at a similar height. He signalled and headed over there just as the rest of Kette Zwei saw them too and went with him.

It was a large formation of SPADs and they'd spotted the Fokkers now as well. The two formations closed in fast and Werner fired a burst into one of them as they flew past. He climbed up and came around to spot an opportunity. He saw one as a SPAD flew directly underneath him.

Werner rolled down onto the Frenchman's tail and fired a good burst into him. The SPAD dived but Werner followed and although the enemy aircraft tried to run, Werner was having none of it. Another good burst had the SPAD trying to climb but a final flurry hit the pilot who fell back and the SPAD went straight down into the ground.

Taking stock, Werner saw another aircraft a fair distance ahead. He moved towards it and then realised it was a Breguet, "Where did you come from?" said Werner to himself.

Werner swung around onto the enemy's six and stayed below his tail. The enemy gunner tried to swat Werner off but he was too savy for him. He kept peppering the Breguet with bullets and in the next instant the two seater burst into flames.

Still the gunner tried to hit Werner, even though he must have been getting roasted. Eventually however the Breguet fell out of the sky and exploded as it hit the ground.

Werner was checking around him when another Breguet dived into his tail. Werner swung away from the attack and throttled back, allowing the Breguet to pass overhead.

Throttling back up Werner came up onto the tail of the enemy aircraft and blasted him. The Breguet began evasive maneuvers but Werner went with him and fired another long burst into the big two seater. The Breguet spiralled down and smashed into the ground.

Werner checked around again and this time the area was clear. He saw another Fokker ahead and above and formed up with him. They headed home and met up with another couple of Fokkers on the way.

Once everyone had returned and reported in, eight enemy aircraft had been shot down. A Fokker had been lost though and Fw Robert Reichenberger was missing.

Later on Leutnant Schmid received word that Reichenberger had been found, dead. He was from Neuhaus am Rennweg and had been with the Jasta for about six weeks.

Slightly more palatable news was that all three of Werner's claims had been confirmed. Indeed he'd been commended by Leutnant Schmid for his attacks on the Breguets. This took him to 14 confirmed kills.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

#4583622 - 10/25/21 07:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.MM. WOFF Wound Stripe.
Lt , Rfc, 54
Villa Du Cap. 13 Rue
De Ville Monte- Carlo,
France.

Oct 25 , 1918.

11 Victory Confirmed
7 Unconfirmed

By Jove, This is more like life. The Sun does come so sitting out side is re laxing My full time Nurse Suzette is very comforting Makes me hate the idea of going back.

Attached Files rachel-roxxx-15day nurse.jpg
#4583633 - 10/26/21 02:17 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I'm finally back to my WOFF computer. It will be tomorrow night before I am able to catch up with everyone's stories and comment. For the moment, I'll get Fergie Drummond's account up-to-date. I played up to 22 October 1918. After my last flight I made the silly mistake of accidentally clicking on the "Request Leave" button. The game promptly issued five days of leave for Fergie. At the same time, the Gong Fairy arrived with a bright shiny DSO. So, after a bit of quick coordination with Lou, here is the first instalment in Drummond's leave story…

Journal of Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond, DFC
32 Squadron, Royal Air Force
La Bellevue, France

Part 18

[Linked Image]

The streets of Doullens rang with the click and clatter of horseshoes on cobbles, the rumble of strained motors, and the grinding of gears. Lorries and ambulances mixed with hand carts and wagons, rendering adventurous the short walk down the road from where I had been dropped off to the Hôtel Quatre Fils Aymon. I paused on the pavement and noted the sign on the wall. So it was the “Four Sons” after all. We’d always called it the “Four Brothers.” I don’t where that started.

My room was on the second floor. The boy dropped my valise at the foot of the bed and opened the window before leaving. I closed it again to block out the noise. I poured myself a brandy from a small bottle I’d bought a few minutes before, grabbed some fresh underclothes and a clean shirt, took the towel from the washbasin, and headed down the hall to the bath. It seemed like ages since I’d had a good soak, and it was a relief to know for sure that there was hot water today. None of the four sons had had the foresight to erect a ledge or shelf near the bathtub, so I gingerly stepped into the water with my glass of brandy in one hand and settled back. I sipped slowly but finished the drink far too soon. Thoughts and memories flooded my mind. So many faces. So few names. I had destroyed twenty-five enemy machines. It probably meant thirty German souls. Should I feel guilt? Regret? Pride? I felt nothing. Hollow. The war might actually be ending soon. What next? Back to McGill? Professor – what was his name? Professor Donaldson. He’d once called me useless for failing to answer a question he posed about Paradise Lost. What if he did that again? What if I punched him in the mouth? Dad will ask again about my future, about my tuition money. There is nothing to say.
And then I felt tears beginning to burn in my eyes, the tingling at the back of my nose. My shoulders heaved and I gasped and sobbed. When was the last time this happened? I was five. Maybe six? We were playing in a field with sticks for swords and I fell on a piece of half buried angle iron. I couldn’t stop crying. I heard footsteps from the hall stairs outside, voices. I breathed deeply and slowly brought myself back under control. My body shivered. It was time to get out.

I dressed and wandered about the streets of the town, stepping into the odd shop. There was no plan. Nothing I wanted to buy. I found myself outside an old church, its graven saints staring dumbly onto a small square. The door was open and the interior dark, cool, quiet. Offertory candles burned behind their red and blue glass. The suggestion of incense hung in the still air. Sandbags lined the walls and surrounded the altar. I sat in the back and listened for a while. Two old women gossiped at a side door. I could not follow their conversation and so I left.

It was time for dinner now. This I was looking forward to. There was a soup on offer – potato and leek, as far as I could tell. The French can do marvellous things with soup. I took my time. The waiter had been apologetic about the lack of meat choices. Still, they had sole in a cream and wine sauce. They always had sole, and it is always marvellous. The potatoes were grated somehow and coated with breadcrumbs, I think, and a sharp cheese. There were green beans sautéed with onion and bacon and wild mushroom. I ordered a bottle of rather expensive wine – I didn’t know the name, just the price. I had a glass and savoured the first mouthful. A familiar voice stirred me from my reverie.

“Drummond, old boy! Mind if I join you?” It was Major Russell. His presence here was so out of context that I nearly did not recognise him.

“Not at all, sir,” I said. “What are you doing here, if I may ask?”

The waiter approached and the CO pointed at my plate. “Même chose, s’il vous plaît,” he said. Then he said to me, “I’ll have some of your wine now and buy another bottle later, if that’s all right.” Of course it was. The Major explained himself. “I came to see you. Bearer of glad tidings. You, Mr Drummond, have just been gazetted as the latest recipient of the Distinguished Service Order.”

I put down my knife and fork. “Good God, you’re pulling my leg, sir.”

“Not at all. It’s well deserved. Now, let’s get down to business. I’ve left an envelope for you with the front desk. It has all the papers and travel warrants you need. There is an investiture at Buckingham Palace on Thursday and you are going. I shall send a tender to pick you up here at eight in the morning and take you to Saint-Omer. The depot has an old SE going back to the knacker’s yard or to some unfortunate training squadron. You are to fly it over and drop it off at 143 Squadron at Detling, near Maidstone in Kent. They’ll make sure that you get into the city by tomorrow night. Get a good night’s rest and then you’re off to see the King! Do you a world of good.”

I had a total of five days’ leave. And I was to deliver a new machine back to France, so I would have from Wednesday night until Sunday morning in London. We continued to chat away, and I confess that the rest of the delicious sole disappeared from my plate without my having really noticed. We retired to the lounge for coffees, cognac, and cigars. Only after Major Russell left did I try to confirm that our meals were on my room bill. That’s when I learned that the good Major had settled the bill without my knowing.

As arranged, a tender picked me up in the morning after breakfast and brought me to Saint-Omer. Moreover, Ralph MacBean had packed extra clothes including my best tunic into his own small suitcase and put it in the tender. The corporal driver once operated a taxi in Birmingham and talked continuously throughout the journey. He had great plans to open an automobile dealership with his cousin and another friend as soon as he was demobilised. By the time we reached our destination, he had very nearly sold me an Austin.

The flight to Detling was a pure pleasure. The machine I’d been assigned was a direct drive Hisso-engined SE. It had quite a different sound than the more familiar Wolseley engine. But it ran like a sewing machine, smooth and steady. I followed the rail line to Calais and set course west northwest to Dover. There was scarcely a cloud in the sky, and the coastline of France was still clearly visible when the white cliffs appeared rather suddenly through the haze. Navigation over Kent was simple. My map showed all the roads and rail lines in much more detail than the maps of France we usually had. I passed over Leeds Castle and throttled back. The field at Detling was visible from six or seven miles away. The touchdown was perfect and I rolled up to the sheds feeling quite the pilot.

[Linked Image]
"There was scarcely a cloud in the sky, and the coastline of France was still clearly visible when the white cliffs appeared rather suddenly through the haze."

I had lunch in the mess at Detling and the acting commander – the CO was on leave – arranged for me to be driven to London by car. I made a stop at Cox & Co. to withdraw some back pay as well as £200 of my own money, or rather my tuition money. This might be the only leave I got in this war and by God, I was determined to enjoy it. We made direct for the Savoy and I booked myself into a lovely room with a private bath for four nights. I called the front desk and explained that I needed to pick up my passes for the investiture at RAF HQ at the Hotel Cecil, which was very close by. They assured me they would send someone over and bring the passes to my room. It was just past six o’clock by the time I was washed and changed. MacBean had packed my best tunic with the DFC ribbon as well as my second-best (i.e. not too oily) tunic, to which he or some other kind soul had sewn the ribbon of the DSO. I had heard about the Savoy bar, how it was the London gathering point for pilots. Pride demanded that I wear the newly adorned second-best tunic to go there.

There was a knock at my door. It was the bellboy with my passes, except that the bellboy was a stunning young woman in a hotel uniform. She explained that many of the house jobs in the hotel were being done by women these days. I made a mental note to thank the Kaiser.

The Savoy bar was more spacious than I’d expected, and the stories were true about it being a meeting place for pilots. I wandered about a bit before I found a small table with two empty chairs. A third chair had been purloined by some American officers in an adjacent group. I looked about and tried to determine whether one was served at the table or expected to go to the bar. Just then the Americans at the next table got up to leave and a smiling, gap-toothed British major rushed past them to lay claim to their places.

“Ah splendid, I am in luck tonight,” said the major.

“That’s optimistic for a gentleman sitting alone,” I said with a wink. Suddenly fearing I had gone too far with the senior officer, I apologised quickly.

The major gave a loud “haw haw!” and glanced at the “Canada” flash on the shoulder of my tunic. “Not at all. But we haven’t been introduced. My name is Freddie Abbott.”

This was a bit of a shock. I had never known an Englishman to introduce himself so quickly and informally. Furthermore, I recognised the name. Major Abbott had filled more than his share of pages in Comic Cuts. He was smiling at me, his hand extended. I regrouped and shook his hand. “I’m Rob Drummond. They call me Fergie because my middle name is Fergus. I’m with 32 Squadron.”

“Grand to have you aboard, Drummond old top.” Just then, two delightful young women approached the major’s table. Major Abbott then motioned for me to pull my chair over and join them. I mumbled something marginally coherent thanking the major for the pleasure of his company. He waived the comment off with a laugh and insisted that I call him Freddie. He proceeded to introduce me to the two women, both of whom were nurses here for the investiture. Both were in mufti at this hour. The taller the two was named Lizzie and it was clear that she and Freddie were an item. The other was introduced to me as Edith Cubbins, Edie for short.

We chatted for several minutes while Freddie ordered a round of drinks, whisky for the men and champagne cocktails for the ladies. Freddie was off to the investiture tomorrow as well. He asked about my decoration, and I told him that I had just received the DSO. I tried to ask about his decoration, but Lizzie had caught his attention and my question went unanswered. Soon after, I mentioned that I had a few days in London and really didn’t know the city. Freddie, in his irrepressible enthusiasm, immediately volunteered Edie as my tour guide. Before I could say a thing, he took Lizzie by the hand and announced that they were off to dine elsewhere. I was left behind with Edie.

“Well, that was sudden,” she said.

“Is he always like that?” I asked.

“I believe he is. He is a remarkable personality. You realise, of course, the King is giving him the VC tomorrow.”

“My God,” I said. “I had no idea.” There was a long and awkward silence. “Edie,” I said at last, “I mean Miss Cubbins, I certainly don’t want you to feel pressed to show me about the city. Seriously, I’ll be fine on my own and you must certainly have plans for your own leave.”

Edie smiled. Her hair was dark blonde, pulled back in a loose chignon. Wavy short ringlets fell in front of her ears. Her eyes were green and she had a lovely smile. I was staring and I believe she noticed. “There is no pressure at all, Fergie. In fact, it should be rather fun.”

This changes everything, I thought. The courage came with a rush. “In that case, Edie, we’d best start planning. I haven’t eaten and neither have you. I’m going to order us another drink and arrange a table for dinner in the River Room before it’s filled up. It will take only three or four minutes. Promise me you’ll still be here when I get back.”

With a twinkle she said, “Promise me you’ll be a gentleman and I promise you that I shall remain right here.”

[To be continued]

Attached Files Quatre Fils.jpgEngland at last.jpg
#4583643 - 10/26/21 09:07 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - She looks like she doesn't take any crepe that Suzette.

Raine - Great tale. Far from relaxing, Fergie found the bath to be full of memories, good and bad. Then a jaunt around Doullens and a lovely meal before a jaw dropper from Major Russell. Fergie's company is requested in the old smoke for investiture of the DSO. A pleasant trip across the channel and onto London. Then an impromptu meeting with a certain toothy ace and his entourage of nurses. So Fergie has a most enchanting chaperone for a tour of the sights. Let's see what happens next........

#4583687 - 10/26/21 07:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fw Werner Rendel, EK2
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

14 confirmed kills

26th October 1918

Reichenberger's body was returned before breakfast, Leutnant Schmid arranged with the Adjutant for a simple ceremony this evening.

Werner had been talking with a couple of the pilots during breakfast. He was listening as they talked about news from home. Feldwebel Grenwald was a Münchner whilst Vizefeldwebel Keller was from Nuremberg. Grenwald had recently returned from a short leave as his wife had given birth. He was telling all who listened about the many red flags to be seen in Munich recently. Indeed there was talk of a communist takeover once the end of the war was finally called.

Keller, whilst a proud Bavarian was a socialist at heart and he argued that royal families were a thing of the past, and that revolution was inevitable.

Grenwald then said that the military would never allow it. Feldwebel Sommer chirped in to say he'd already heard of militias, 'Freikorps' being set up to defend against revolution.

Whilst he understood what was being talked about, Werner, kept his opinions to himself and preferred to listen.

At that point they were called to the briefing.......

Leutnant Schmid confirmed that due to the supplies not getting through, only three aircraft would be available and that therefore they would be heading down towards St Die again to defend against insurgents and protect the nearby balloon.

Schmid, Werner and Sommer were to be the pilots.

The rain had eased a little bit but was still present as the DVII's took off, formed up, climbed up and headed off south.

Once they'd cleared 7000 feet the clouds eased off and visibility improved.

As they neared St Die, Werner saw a formation ahead and above coming towards them. The other two had seen them as well and nosed up towards the aircraft which could now be recognised as SPADs.

The SPADs outnumbered the Fokkers seven to three and raced down into the attack but Werner was ready. He fired a burst into one as came towards him and rolled around to get on its tail.

As he did a SPAD was trying to get on his tail but Werner saw this and rolled away, he throttled back as well. The SPAD overshot and Werner fired a burst into him.

The SPAD dived down and this time Werner went with him. He fired again into the enemy aircraft who now lost power and height. The Frenchman was desperately trying to get away but another burst and the SPAD seemed to stall and fall backwards into the ground.

Werner now saw another SPAD nearby. This could we'll have been the one he initially attacked, either way, Werner made a beeline for him and swung up onto the Frenchman's tail. A long burst caught the enemy by surprise and as the SPAD floundered Werner hit him again. This time he saw the pilot slump backwards and the SPAD nosed down and smashed into the ground.

Werner took stock and saw another aircraft off to the right and went towards him. It was another SPAD and seemed to be trying to run. Werner fired into the flank of the French machine who now swung around to face his attacker.

Whilst Werner admired his courage he fired a devastating burst into the SPAD as he flew past. Werner swung around on a pfennig and delivered the coup de grace. The SPAD just seemed to fall out of the sky and crashed into the ground.

Werner climbed back up. He couldn't see any more enemy aircraft and saw another Fokker ahead. He formed up with it, it was Leutnant Schmid and together they headed home.

On landing Schmid came over to Werner. "Wunderbarer Arbeitsjunge! I thought we were done for there." said Schmid.

"Did you see Sommer Herr Leutnant?" asked Werner.

"He crashed but he got out, hopefully he's ok." said Schmid.

Once all the reports had been made. Five SPADs had been downed and although Sommer's Fokker had been lost, he was indeed alright.

Schmid was able to confirm two of Werner's claims, no-one had seen the second SPAD. This brought his total to 16 confirmed kills.

After dinner the simple ceremony for Reichenberger was held. There was no fuel for a flypast.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpgScreenshot_20211026-201055~2.png

#4583690 - 10/26/21 07:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Albert: I cant seem to get anything over or by U and RAF Lou. lol Good comment.

Welcome back Raine

#4583701 - 10/26/21 09:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, a nice haul for Werner. A SPAD and a brace of Bréguets will go nicely onto his claim form. The poor man with tombola is going to be kept busy by the look of things. Congrats on latest confirmed kills.
Bad news from home indeed. The red horde was at the door of Germany (for the first time) hopefully to be managed and squashed in its bud. More bad news at the Front with scarce supplies and only three machines able to defend the balloon. They may have been only three, but Werner carved out his share of the enemy planes from the sky. The balloon was saved to spot enemy movements and if the artillery had any shells left they would also be able to direct fire. Can’t win them all.

Raine, that naughty “request leave” button! It is a scourge of diligent pilots. And just so you can sleep easy at night: four sons are also four brothers, n’est pas?
Fergie’s really moving up. First the news of his DSO, orders to show his face in front of the King and as a bonus meeting the famous Major Abbott, who as a bonus to a bonus sets him up with a looker of a nurse that is not opposed to being taken for a night around the town. Like I’ve said, the Canadian is moving up.

26 October, 1918 08:00
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
160 confirmed kills

One SPAD from yesterday has been confirmed.
A flight of SPADs accosted Schwarm Zwei west of Verny on their way to the Front to support the ground forces near Flirey. One of the SPADs went through the Schwarm firing his guns, but the formation didn’t bother to respond. They continued to fly as if nothing really happened. Klaus went after the enemy and chased him away to a lower level. He then went after another Frenchman that popped conveniently right in front of him. He was able to get on the enemy’s tail and never let go. He continued to fire as the enemy went into a dive to get away. There was no use. The Franzose continued downwards until he hit the ground. Klaus quickly found another target, but that one was already spoken for, and was soon going down as well. After that the enemy planes were driven away or shot down.

YouTube Link

Klaus decided to continue with his mission despite somewhat diminished Schwarm size. He has reached the patrol area and was met with another group of enemy planes. These were SPADs again and they had height advantage if not numerical superiority. The fight commenced and Klaus could only wait for the enemy to come down and get him, but he wasn’t going to make it easy for them and positioned himself right against the blinding sun. The enemy had definitely problems getting a bead on him and Raben was able to damage some SPADs in return. The hunt continued with SPADs being able to run away at will. It was only after one of them made the mistake of deciding to turn back and fight that Klaus was able to punish and send him spinning down to crash in No-Man’s Land. The Schwarm returned to base after the remaining SPADs had retreated.

YouTube Link

#4583722 - 10/27/21 08:57 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - 160 now and counting. On to today's goings-on, that first SPAD seemed like a kid in a toy store, not sure which Fokker to play with and in the end missed them all. The rest of the Jasta seemed more interested in trying to maintain formation than the fact they were being attacked. Klaus showed them how it was to be done and made the Frenchman fall. Then that second group of SPADs didn't quite know what to do, attack or run. In the end they did neither and paid the price. As for Werner. There's certainly no shortage of SPADs around so Werner has plenty of targets. Yes, it's a cliff edge for Germany, will it topple over.

Carrick - You caught me on a good day.

#4583765 - 10/27/21 08:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Albert: Every day above ground is a good day

#4583766 - 10/27/21 08:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fw Werner Rendel, EK2
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

16 confirmed kills

27th October 1918

The benzin supply lorries finally rolled in at 11pm last night. They brought more than usual, almost twice as much in fact. The Gefreiter in charge said it was because the next delivery they were due to make, at an army camp to the west, couldn't be completed because the camp was already in enemy hands.

Leutnant Schmid decided to "Heu machen, während die Sonne scheint", to use his own words. He ordered two patrols for the 27th.

Morning sortie

The morning sortie was to be a five man patrol down to the Luneville lines once more. The remaining aircraft were to remain on standby at the airfield. The French and Americans were applying more and more pressure in an attempt to force the front and every effort was to be made to hold the positions.

The weather had improved finally and Werner smiled at the pleasant sun on his face, it seemed to have been weeks since he last had that sensation.

The Jasta took off and headed out south west once they'd climbed up to 13000 feet.

The journey went quietly until they neared Luneville. Then, Werner saw another formation ahead and above. "Scheiße!" Werner said to himself as he counted at least ten SPADs, giving the French, 2/1 odds.

The SPADs started racing down towards the Jasta and Werner and the others nosed up.

Werner lined up on the enemy aircraft and fired good bursts into at least two of them as they raced past. Werner rolled quickly and began a turning match with one of the SPADs. There was only going to be one winner although the Frenchman was skilled. He flipped the SPAD around but to no avail. Werner was onto him and put a long accurate burst into him.

The SPAD dived down but Werner stayed with him. The wings of his Fokker shrieked at the speed but when the Frenchman levelled, Werner put a devastating flurry into him. The SPAD lurched over and went into the ground.

Werner now saw another aircraft crossing his path ahead and went after him. It was another SPAD who on seeing Werner, turned and came at him. Werner smiled and fired a quick burst as the Frenchman went across him. The SPAD driver panicked and tried to climb and turn. Werner swung up and hammered the enemy aircraft. The SPAD fell into a stalling spin and went into the trees below.

Just as he watched the SPAD explode he saw tracers whizzing past him. He swung across the line of fire and saw it was another SPAD diving onto him. The SPAD overshot though and presented a fine target dead ahead. A long accurate burst of fire put paid to the enemy aircraft who fell to the right and straight into the ground.

Werner now took stock and finally drew a deep breath. At that moment however he saw yet another enemy aircraft. It was above him but was going relatively slowly. Werner throttled up and used the Fokker's excellent climb rate to aim up towards the enemy aircraft.

He fired into the belly of the SPAD who tried to roll right. Werner went with him and fired another accurate flurry which clearly hit the Frenchman's controls. The SPAD lurched over and went into the ground.

Werner now saw a couple of Fokkers above and climbed up towards them. Together they headed home and landed safely about 20 minutes later.

On landing, Leutnant Schmid marched over to him. "Werner! That was some of the best flying I've seen in this whole d@mn war! You slayed those SPADs like a knife through butter." extolled the Leutnant.

In all, eight SPADs had been downed without serious loss to the Jasta. A remarkable performance.

Afternoon sortie (awaiting four confirmations)

The afternoon outing was a trip out due west to the north of Luneville. The weather was now lovely, especially for late October.

This time the whole Jasta was out and they headed west towards the sinking sun. The reached their patrol area and turned north. At that moment Werner saw aircraft below and heading back across the lines. He signalled and dived down onto the unsuspecting SPADs. He used the bright sunshine to avoid being spotted until he was virtually on the tail of one of them. He fired a good burst into the wings of the SPAD who turned away.

Werner turned with him and gained on the Frenchman quickly. He blasted the SPAD with another good burst which tore the left wing away and without the aileron the enemy aircraft fell away and smashed into the ground.

Werner now saw another SPAD ahead and quickly got onto his tail. The Frenchman saw his predicament and tried to climb. Werner lined up and out a telling burst straight into the cockpit and saw the pilot slump back. The SPAD nosed down and went into the ground.

The final SPAD was already on its way down courtesy of Gerhard Ungewitter.

The Jasta headed home and all landed safely.

Later on Schmid called Werner to his office and congratulated him on a fantastic day's flying. All six claims had been confirmed as they were all clearly seen by the Jasta. This took Werner to 22 confirmed kills.

The Jasta celebrated their superb day in the kasino that evening. The supply trucks had also brought beer and schnapps, which helped.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgA8.jpgA9.jpgA10.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpg

#4583770 - 10/27/21 09:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, that 160 arrived rather suddenly. I don’t know what was worse the SPAD going through the Fokker formation without hitting anything, or the Jasta’s lack of response. Take your pick.
Definitely no shortage of SPADs for Werner judging by today’s goings-on. Six confirmed, that’s exactly the opposite of what Raine’s been experiencing lately. So, definitely a good day for Werner. Congrats! That speedy D.VIIF certainly helps. I wonder when Klaus will get his?

27 October, 1918 09:00
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
160 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

No news of the latest two SPAD claims.
Jasta 18 was sent to patrol enemy front lines between Marbache and Nancy. Finally it was a quiet day for Klaus. They have not encountered any hostile aircraft throughout the entire mission. It felt like a vacation.

Page 355 of 366 1 2 353 354 355 356 357 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM