Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4583055 - 10/20/21 04:22 PM Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've been geeking out to a lot of nerd Rock lately, and now I want to make a road trip to somewhere nerdy that's relatively close. Huntsville, AL is less than 400 miles (640 km) away.

Obviously the main attraction is NASA...
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/about/visitor.html

But there's possibly more...

In the late-80's/early-90's I worked at an engineering company as an HVAC draftsman using Intergraph (Unix VAX-based CAD [computer aided design/drafting]). Intergraph is headquartered in Huntsville.

One of the cooler construction projects I worked on was locating laser detection security in the duct work of the Sparkman Missile Center which is also located in Huntsville. In fact, I think it's on the same grounds as NASA.

So I’d also like to visit both Intergraph and Sparkman, at least as far as I can get into these facilities (maybe a building pic from the parking lot? smile ).

Anyway, Huntsville just seems like a cool place that I've always wanted to visit and can do so over a long weekend. Have any of you been to NASA in Huntsville?

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4583056 - 10/20/21 04:26 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
Have any of you been to NASA in Huntsville?

I have not but it's on my bucket list. I would have to find out what else there is to do there though besides the visiting the NASA facility so I could convince my wife to come with me. She has ZERO interest in space exploration or anything else related to NASA.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4583057 - 10/20/21 04:29 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Have any of you been to NASA in Huntsville?

I have not but it's on my bucket list. I would have to find out what else there is to do there though besides the visiting the NASA facility so I could convince my wife to come with me. She has ZERO interest in space exploration or anything else related to NASA.

Hey, I'll drive us out to the middle of nowhere Kansas to find Laura Ingalls' outhouse, so it's a taking-turns kinda thing. biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4583058 - 10/20/21 04:35 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Hey, I'll drive us out to the middle of nowhere Kansas to find Laura Ingalls' outhouse, so it's a taking-turns kinda thing. biggrin

Come to think of it, my wife still owes me big time for that Celine Dion concert I went to with her in Las Vegas. Thanks for bringing that up!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/20/21 04:36 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4583060 - 10/20/21 04:44 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Hehe. I know how to approach this...

"Space Camp" (1986) is one of her favorite movies and I assume a good portion was shot in Huntsville. That'll be my next 80's movie night suggestion if it's not my turn (she'll bite). "Space Camp" is at least an 80 proof 4-shoter, IIRC. biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4583114 - 10/21/21 12:49 AM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wife is on board, Huntsville it is. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center is doing tours again ($20.00). It's a bus tour with attraction stops but I'm sure we'll get lots of walking in (half the reason for going).

We'll also visit Intergraph (~4 miles [~6.4 km] from NASA...their history begins with developing guidance software for the Saturn V) for the nice walking paths and hopefully be allowed to tour the building...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Intergraph_walking.jpgIntergraph-office.jpgIntergraph.jpgD1A1430_v1fs-1-600x400.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4583116 - 10/21/21 12:58 AM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Very cool Mark.

Nice to keep your visit regional and to support your neighbors.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4583120 - 10/21/21 01:53 AM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
We did a second NYC trip to finish our itinerary which had been cut a couple of days short due to my kidney stone. We were thinking about a final 3rd trip with no itinerary, just hit the sidewalks with backpacks and see where we wind up. But on second thought...nah. That'll be a big pass. nope

As the great Bocephus once sang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlNO8zGgCGw

Lyrics:

All the stations up here they don't sign off with Dixie
The way they did in sweet home Alabam'
And the people here don't sip Jack Daniels whiskey
The way they do in the Tennessee mountain land

I'd always heard lots about the big apple
So I thought I'd come up here and see
But all I've seen so far is one big hassle
Wish I was camped out on the Okeechobee

If this is the promised land, I've had all I can stand
And I'm headed back below that Dixie line
No I just don't fit in, and I'll never come back again
But I'm busted here an' I got Dixie on my mind
Oh I'm stuck up here an' I got Dixie on my mind

(Yee-ha)

These people never smile or say a word
They're all too busy tryin' to make an extra dime
Oh I'd love to haul 'em all down around Spartanburg
And show 'em how to raise hell in Carolin'

Oh the things you know that I miss most of all
Is the freedom of the rivers and the pines
They don't do much huntin' and fishin' up here ya know
But I have met a few squirrels and one porcupine

Well if this is the promised land, I've had all I can stand
Wish I was down in Houston town tonight
No I just don't fit in, and I'll never come back again
But I'm busted here an' I got Dixie on my mind
Oh I'm stuck up here an' got Dixie on my mind

Lol. biggrin

However, it was on that first NYC trip in nowhere Alabama (wife was giving me a break) when we saw this Rest Area near Huntsville!...

[Linked Image]

We were on our way to a Nashville stopover, which looks to be less than 100 miles (161 km) from Huntsville. Tempting (Grand Ole Opry tour, live 70's/80's Rock nightlife), but we need to keep it as close as possible (~6 hr. drive).

Related old thread with some old names (and my Saturn V pics)...
50yrs ago today - the Saturn V took its maiden flight

The sun is in the east
#4583146 - 10/21/21 11:32 AM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

As the great Bocephus once sang...

That graphic needs to remove South Florida because I can tell you with certainty that there's absolutely nothing "Southern" about that region. wink

#4583157 - 10/21/21 12:58 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
You asked: I was a NASA Proj Mgr/Proj Scientist/Lead Architect for some Microgravity Science Space Experiments and their flight Equipment. Those were intended for the Space Shuttle and Space Station.

Huntsville was a "friendly competitor" for such projects with our NASA Glenn Research Center (previously Lewis Research Center). We all worked together.

Moreover, Huntsville got started in Microgravity Science before Glenn did; so, it was considered USA's main location for developing that sort of Experiment.

Thus, several business visits -- a long time ago. I imagine there have been changes.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4583159 - 10/21/21 01:08 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks for that interesting info, Allen.

++++++++++

That graphic needs to remove South Florida because I can tell you with certainty that there's absolutely nothing "Southern" about that region. wink

Yeah, having lived in Jacksonville for 13 years (1996 - 2009), I know what you mean...only the northern parts of the state feel Southern (extending the pan handle to the Atlantic).

But...the song mentions Okeechobee (~100 m [~160 km] south of Orlando for those not familiar with FL), so the song is as much about the landscape as it is the people (despite the fan-made video graphics). I also wouldn't include a large part of Texas as part of the South, although he mentions Houston.

BTW, my friend in Atlanta is a Boston transplant, said they loved Hank Jr. in concert up there (for real). smile

Manhattan to us felt like another country, even having lived 8 years in the big city of Atlanta.

Last edited by MarkG; 10/21/21 01:13 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4583162 - 10/21/21 01:17 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Manhattan to us felt like another country, even having lived 8 years in the big city of Atlanta.

No surprise there. Going from rural Louisiana to NYC is pure culture shock to say the least!

#4583171 - 10/21/21 02:04 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

No surprise there. Going from rural Louisiana to NYC is pure culture shock to say the least!

And the opposite is true as well when your friends make a trip home with you from Atlanta to Louisiana... eek2

<I don't think they would mind first names if they somehow saw this (both still living in Atlanta)>...

Ray from Boston. Always some friendly North/South ribbing. We stayed in New Orleans, wife's cousin's apartment next to Superdome. Had tickets to Saints/Falcons and Pearl Jam.

Carl from Detroit (father was an exec. for GM). We stayed at my parent's home. Not only had bayou culture shock, but Carl is black. biggrin

Both enjoyed a taste of the bayou. And I feel bad for staying out of touch for so long.

The sun is in the east
#4583174 - 10/21/21 02:15 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Both enjoyed a taste of the bayou. And I feel bad for staying out of touch for so long.

I tell ya, it's impossible to find good shrimp and crawfish etouffee here so I really need to make a trip out to LA some day.

#4583181 - 10/21/21 03:07 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

I tell ya, it's impossible to find good shrimp and crawfish etouffee here so I really need to make a trip out to LA some day.

Once my parents are gone (80's but doing well), and before we sell everything and move to the middle of Montana, you and yours are invited for a visit. And I mean that sincerely. smile

Meanwhile, I need to visit my brother's daughter and husband at their new place (they moved south of Tampa to be closer to his family in Miami) and get another dose of Cuban cuisine... readytoeat

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Cuban_spread.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4583182 - 10/21/21 03:16 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
We're looking now, other things to do in Huntsville...
Huntsville: U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum

Museum website...
https://www.memorialmuseum.org/

And to see mountains again (at least they're mountains to us).

The sun is in the east
#4583185 - 10/21/21 04:26 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
If you run out of things, a visit to Guntersville is nice. Great Lake there.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4583187 - 10/21/21 04:37 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I didn't see a mountain OR snow until I was 23 years old. True story.

#4583295 - 10/22/21 01:41 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

I didn't see a mountain OR snow until I was 23 years old. True story.

Wow! smile

==========
"The Cold wave of January 1977 produced the only known trace of snow in the greater Miami area of Florida ever reported, although the city itself did not report any snow (a trace of snow was documented in Lake Worth)."

Cold wave of January 1977
==========

I find that incredible as one of the cruises I took out of Miami, upon return, felt pretty darn chilly to me.

++++++++++

Although no mountains or snow from Baton Rouge to Orlando, I wanted to archive in this thread my old first trip to NASA pic (1977[?]...when the upcoming Space Shuttle was all the rage)... smile

[Linked Image]

I regret now never attending a Shuttle launch (easy day trip from Jax. to Kennedy, did it several times).

Attached Files DSCF4571.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4583300 - 10/22/21 01:51 PM Re: Planning a short road trip to Huntsville, Alabama [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Great pic Mark. It almost looks like a promo shot for a spinoff show to "Eight is Enough". biggrin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.