Hop To
#4582117 - 10/07/21 10:42 AM Just an awesome explosion  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
As my team mate Frank (age 85) collides with his enemy in an online mission and debris can be seen flying in all directions. Sorry for your loss Frank!

[Linked Image]

VonBeerhofen

#4582991 - 10/19/21 07:39 PM Re: Just an awesome explosion [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

That is very nice, but too bad for Frank and his opponent!

It's pretty hard to get such things "right", but you certainly seem to have done so!

I recently installed a "modern" Nvidia 3060 Ti OC (factory overclocked) graphics card into my (I9 9900K CPU; 32Gb RAM) computer, and was shocked at how much better many details were displayed compared to previous Nvidia 2060 OC Pro graphics card, which was no slouch.

Following comments are made as from one Friend to another Friend!

Forgive me for asking, as a friend, but do you feel that in making your creations, that you >>might<< be limited because of your current computer and/or Graphics card? My installation of a more modern Bfx card into the same computer, and being able to "see" more things would seem to argue that modern computers/Graphics cards are capable of things not seen on earlier gneration equipment.

As I recall, you have previously mentioned that your current computer was fairly modest. Would you be able to make even better creations with a more modern rig?

As an aside, Nvidia has recently announced their ceasing support of their graphics cards previous to 1XXX series cards. This includes a great many Gfx cards, particularly those found on "budget' systems and older systems in general.

If you suspect that technology >>might<< be a limiting factor in your making your creations, I offer my advice. Friend-to-Friend. I will be at your service. ETA: edited my e-mail addy, as I'm in VBH'S Contact list.

Last edited by RIBob; 10/21/21 06:24 PM. Reason: personal security
#4583097 - 10/20/21 10:06 PM Re: Just an awesome explosion [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

You're already in my contacts list RiBob, Thx! More modern computers are more problematic with running older software and most of the tools I use are really old and sometimes even in DOS. It's too cumbersome to set things up so the easiest is to stick to my old legacy machines which work well sofar.
Newer graphics cards have features which EAW can not use, those features could be programmed into EAW but it would require a very skilled programmer to for instance add realistic waves and reflections to water and objects or create realistic looking 3D clouds. I don't think it will happen though.

VonBeerhofen

#4583098 - 10/20/21 10:31 PM Re: Just an awesome explosion [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Was that a collision with the other P-51 ? In the explosion, I can only see debris of one (German) airplane.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4583135 - 10/21/21 09:19 AM Re: Just an awesome explosion [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

These pictures merely show two players having fun with EAWPRO and I don't recall which planes we had in this particular mission as we fly dozens a week, all I know is that it was a collision. We usually play the last year of the war as this allows my much older friend any plane choice. In EAWPRO the explosion and smoke effects are usually portrayed over the damaged planes and in a catastrophic explosion very little debris or parts remains, as this collision shows:

[Linked Image]

I know it was a collision because there are no tracers visible in the shot and as you can see there's only one wing visible, a few generic debris parts and nothing else, besides that it came from a folder named "COLLISIONS" which indicates a catastrophic event.

Explosions in EAWPRO have extensively been modified, as the above picture shows. The outcome of collisions is determined by size, damage counters and armor ratings of each plane which also control the animation sequence. Stronger planes with less damage stand a small chance to survive and remain visible, whereas lighter planes with more damage tend to get caught in the explosion . Both planes can have a catastrophic explosion simultaneously, in fact the chance for that in EAWPRO is pretty high when both planes occupy practically the same airspace and cause more damage to one another. It simulates other aircraft getting hit by flying debris and the effect is not present in other versions of the game to my knowledge. With such huge explosions the other plane, or what's left of it, is probably behind the explosion as the view angle just happens to hide the object or there was simply nothing left of it and is therefore not visible.

Is there something wrong with that, do you or someone else want to see it changed? I'm always open for good suggestions but I must warn you, I already have a lot of stuff on my plate.

VonBeerhofen

#4583203 - 10/21/21 06:27 PM Re: Just an awesome explosion [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by VonBeerhofen
You're already in my contacts list RiBob, Thx! More modern computers are more problematic with running older software and most of the tools I use are really old and sometimes even in DOS. It's too cumbersome to set things up so the easiest is to stick to my old legacy machines which work well sofar.
Newer graphics cards have features which EAW can not use, those features could be programmed into EAW but it would require a very skilled programmer to for instance add realistic waves and reflections to water and objects or create realistic looking 3D clouds. I don't think it will happen though.

VonBeerhofen

OK! Just let me know if I can be of help. All the best!

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.