Hop To
#4582133 - 10/07/21 01:53 PM 1/3rd of my job  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Bill: "Hello, this is Bill"
User :"Uh yeah, my password doesn't work. I know I keyed it right. Stupid thing says I am locked out"
Bill: (Unlocks their account, even though they have tools to do that as well) "Um, is your CAPS LOCK on or you NUM LOCK off?"
User: "Uhhhh, Hmmm. How did that happen? Ok Bye!"

Seriously. 5 times a day on average. Same people.

I have one guy that I have to log on remotely for him ALMOST DAILY.
Why? Because he has to type a Capital "A" in his password.
I have watched him do it. With his left hand he pushes down the SHIFT key on the left, and with his right index finger he pushes "A" MILLISECONDS after he has let go of the SHIFT key.
Every.
Dang.
Time.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4582135 - 10/07/21 01:59 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
How about those users who are unable to figure out how to change their password so that it meets the standard "at least one number, one special character, one capital letter and at least 8 characters in total" requirements? I've literally spent like 15-20 minutes with some users in the past who just couldn't figure it out.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4582136 - 10/07/21 02:16 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I forgot to say that dumb end users are a constant love/hate relationship for me. On the one hand they frustrate me but on the other hand they are job security! biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4582141 - 10/07/21 02:35 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I forgot to say that dumb end users are a constant love/hate relationship for me. On the one hand they frustrate me but on the other hand they are job security! biggrin

EXACTLY!!!

~Bill

#4582143 - 10/07/21 02:49 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I remember the password security rules were getting tougher before I got sick and was knocked out of the game. Many systems required password changes more often (from 90 down to 30 days) and the practice of just switching back and forth between two passwords or using the same word with just a different number on the end was being blocked. The whole single sign on stuff was nice, for a while.

Were I used to work they would track how many times you had to call the helpdesk for password problems ( this was down by the software reporting tool called Remedy) and if they saw you were tying up the helpdesk too much with these calls they would send you a friendly e-mail about how to manage keeping your passwords straight. I remember people would get mad if they got one of those. It was pretty funny.

#4582145 - 10/07/21 02:53 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: LB4LB]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB

Were I used to work they would track how many times you had to call the helpdesk for password problems ( this was down by the software reporting tool called Remedy) and if they saw you were tying up the helpdesk too much with these calls they would send you a friendly e-mail about how to manage keeping your passwords straight. I remember people would get mad if they got one of those. It was pretty funny.

You learn A LOT about human nature when you work in IT support and one thing I learned early is that the majority of users refuse to use any kind of automated tool or any kind of do-it-yourself online help if they know they can just pick up the phone and call a live person.

#4582147 - 10/07/21 02:55 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs

You learn A LOT about human nature when you work in IT support and one thing I learned early is that the majority of users refuse to use any kind of automated tool or any kind of do-it-yourself online help if they know they can just pick up the phone and call a live person.

Agree.

Last edited by LB4LB; 10/07/21 02:56 PM.
#4582240 - 10/08/21 04:47 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: LB4LB]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

Agree.

Wait times, especially accompanied by annoying muzak or promotional blurbs, do wonders in making the D-I-Y online tools look more appealing.

#4582241 - 10/08/21 04:49 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: CyBerkut]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Wait times, especially accompanied by annoying muzak or promotional blurbs, do wonders in making the D-I-Y online tools look more appealing.

Bingo. Human behavior can be effectively manipulated via something called INCENTIVE. smile

#4582252 - 10/08/21 06:08 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
" You're call is important to us".
"Due to COVID, wait times are longer than expected".
Cue the annoying hold music.

Dammit, let me check out that e-mail one more time.

#4582272 - 10/08/21 09:25 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

Our IT stuff is all online so users get no choice. Submit a ticket and a screenshot. No screenshot, no ticket. If you can't log on because you're thick enough to have forgotten your password, use the app on your phone. I feel like at some time IT won a management battle that let them not have to take 100s of dumb calls a day.

We really are past that time where multiple silly passwords and the like should be second nature, even for us older folk. The joint i work for atm gives us decent gear as well, i7 ssd rigs, multiple 27" monitors for our work stations, compact printers, multiple workshop wifi extenders and sites like youtube, reddit, vimeo etc unlocked. SimHQ is blocked as per usual. Maybe it's Bills jokes biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4582275 - 10/08/21 09:34 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Careful Ajay, don't MAKE me tell a Drop Bear joke! neaner

~Bill

#4582277 - 10/08/21 10:03 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Where I worked all the surgical teams would arrive around 5 A.M. in the morning. Most surgeries would start around 7 A.M.. It was actually the surgeons and other doctors that were the biggest culprit with password issues. Of course when they would hit you with "the patient is waiting on the table" and it became a "patient care critical" ticket and you had to fix their issues quickly. The nurses almost never called for password issues.

Last edited by LB4LB; 10/08/21 10:04 PM.
#4582305 - 10/09/21 01:47 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
finlander Offline
finlander  Offline

Oulu town, USA
"User: "Uhhhh, Hmmm. How did that happen?"
Me; No power hey?, is the unit plugged in?
Customer; Yes.
Me: Could you check it for me please?
Customer; I KNOW that it's plugged in!!!
Me: Okay, I am on the way.
Of course you know what I am going to find when I get there...
"How did that happen?"

#4582312 - 10/09/21 03:15 PM Re: 1/3rd of my job [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
(Ring)
Bill: Hello?
Salesperson: This computer down here is not working. Its black.
Bill: Alright, be there in a minute.
Bill: (Turns to Boss) I betcha money they pushed a sofa into the powerblock and knocked a cord loose...

(5 minutes later)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files IMG_20211005_152028_01.jpgMoney.png

~Bill

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.