Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4581059 - 09/25/21 12:00 PM Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome?  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hiya. I remember seeing someone post that they worked at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome...and #%&*$# if I didn't forget who it was.

I'm going up there tomorrow with a bunch of guys I used to work with at British Airways. I'd love to shake a hand and maybe have some of the old timers I'll be with get close to some of the planes before the show.

If you read this, let me know you got it and we can PM or I can just give you my # via PM and we can talk/text. I'll be there by around 1pm after we eat lunch at the old church diner. There's about 10 of us of mixed age between 50 and 80.

Thanks!!

James
"OvS"

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4581089 - 09/25/21 05:06 PM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

You are probably referring to Mike Dora (see the bottom of this post, as well as the rest of the thread).

Cheers,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 09/25/21 05:11 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4581147 - 09/26/21 02:22 PM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Got it. Thanks!

#4581168 - 09/27/21 01:04 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
So James you found me!

Shame though that today’s show had to be cancelled for wind, it had looked like being a perfect day for a show. Good though that our show execs made the right decision. As you know, in any sort of aviation - even our “Pantomime with Planes” - there is never any room for the easy, “popular” decision.

But it was nice to meet you and your cabal of former BA Concorde engineers - we clearly share the same sense of humour*! I hope you can all make it back to Rhinebeck again, on a day when the Weather Gods smile upon the Black Baron getting his weekly comeuppance - as he has every summer sunday since 1958, you’d think the chap would have learned by now?

Cheers

Mike
*note correct spelling.. wink

#4581170 - 09/27/21 02:33 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Thanks Mike. We had a great time with you and the "Bad Joke Throwdown" was hysterical. You met your match with my buddy John. You guys were hysterical. We're a close bunch of guys having all the background we do from traveling to the UK for training, working the flights in all kinds of weather and being around each other for so long...its like family. Looks like you joined right in to the family. Lol.

It was a shame nothing flew, but we had a blast anyway. It's was a great day and I'm glad I got to meet you. I've made a point to try and meet people from our community and the guys on the Dev team as well... And hopefully I can meet more.

Thanks for not making a fuss over "who I am"..because I don't think I'm any better than anyone else...I'm just another plane nut. Lol.

Our next planned trip is the Intrepid...so I have to work on that.

Talk to you soon.

James
"OvS"

PS... I'll post some pics of you out on the line as the "can man" on the E.V run-up. I just have to make them smaller due 1 meg limit.

Last edited by OvStachel; 09/27/21 02:35 AM.

#4581262 - 09/28/21 08:15 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi James,
We should start a meet and greet thread cheers
'OvStachel', 'Sandbagger' and 'Polovski' at the RAF Museum, Hendon, UK.
Good times,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4581263 - 09/28/21 08:21 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Where better to meet than a place like that full of WW1 and WW2 aircraft eh - good times Mike.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4581275 - 09/28/21 11:43 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Nice pics! Forty years ago I was a young flt lt at the adjacent RAF Hendon, where the Service then had its main computer complex. My office was right by the museum fence, often used to pop next door to do private research in its library. Plus, our annual Battle of Britain Cocktail Party was held in the Museum’s Battle of Britain Hall, between the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Messerschmitts etc :)) - actually met the famous author JM Bruce at one of these.

Next time James I must talk to airfield management and take you airside! Sorry didn’t do that on Sunday but with the ad-hoc ground demos replacing the scheduled airshow they were a bit stretched.

Cheers
See you again

Mike

Last edited by Mike Dora; 09/28/21 11:52 AM.
#4581276 - 09/28/21 11:47 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
PS my 3-yr-old grandson has just asked to go to the RAF Museum for his 4th birthday, in November (all my “first family” including all 4 grandkids are back in Blighty). I think the influence is working wink

#4581279 - 09/28/21 12:42 PM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I agree Mark. It's always good to see fellas meet each other in person. That initial contact is always a little funny because you're emailing, or posting to each other for so long on a forum than you're standing face-to-face...it's worth the laugh and the time it took to make it happen.

It was great to meet Mike at Rhinebeck and of course both you and Mike at RAF Hendon. Arto (Paarma) was great when I met him in Finland, Terry (Makai) the same and blew us away with his Subs at the Makai Pier in Hawaii. I hope to meet Shred one day when we start traveling again, and maybe more of the crew on this forum. I really don't mind it at all and it's always fun to put faces to names and learn the background of what each member has.

As I told Mike, my first visit to Rhinebeck was when I was around 10 or so. I met the true Black Baron of Rhinebeck who was none other then Cole Phalen himself. From that moment, I was sold on WWI and Biplanes. My Avatar is actually a cross of Cole and my own face merged into one. LOL.

At any rate... we had a blast. I told Mike that if there was anything he ever wanted to know about the Concorde... that was the moment he needed to ask it. LOL. Standing all around him as he told us great stories of the RAF and Vulcans, and his life long experineces of aviation were 40+ year employees of aviation. Guys who worked for Pan-Am, TWA, Eastern, Capital, Flying Tigers, Evergreen and all who all wound up at British Airways and became as close to family as we could.

If you ever watch the video of the last Concorde Flight to JFK, the last scene has two Engineers shutting down G-BOAF (which is now on the Intrepid) for the last time. One of them was Tommy Miqueli, who was standing next to me in our "story circle" with Mike

That's aviation for you... you never know who knows who.

RAF Sgt. Dora meets the famed Black Baron of Boistrancourt!

Attached Files rhine1.jpg
Last edited by OvStachel; 09/28/21 12:45 PM.

#4581280 - 09/28/21 12:51 PM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Mike as "Can Man" (we call it that in the Fire Service) standing at the ready for the Fokker E.V Run-up.

And other pics from the day.
Was picture perfect sunny and warm... but a high wind-sheer directly at tree-top level prevented flying. Safety first always yields better results when it comes to aviation!

Attached Files rhine2.jpgrhine3.jpgrhine4.jpgrhine5.jpgrhine6.jpgrhine7.jpgrhine8.jpg

#4581488 - 09/30/21 11:46 AM Re: Who here works at The Rhinebeck Aerodrome? [Re: OvStachel]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

James, picture perfect weather for sure! Too bad about the wind sheer grounding planes. Still, it looks like you had a great day. I need to plan a road trip and get back to Old Rhinebeck myself, been a dozen years or more since I last visited, where does the time go.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM