Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4580560 - 09/19/21 07:58 PM Sensory overload  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
No game leaves me feeling sensory overload, quite like Destiny 2. Anyone else ? Similar games ?
I guess I feel entertained by the end of it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4580561 - 09/19/21 08:05 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Playing Elite Dangerous, driving the surface roving vehicle in VR, climbing a steep crater rim, cresting the top and plunging down into the bowl. My stomach flipped, my head span, I'm lucky enough to feel the visceral effects without getting motion sickness. Been a long time since I had any physical effect from a game.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4580597 - 09/20/21 08:31 AM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I'm getting to where I struggle and can't handle fast paced combat games. God of War on PS4 about pushed me to the max. Also Shadow of Mordor which I finally finished. I absolutely detest the artificially added, anxiety inducing unnecessary sound effects such as jumping down from a high place and your character goes into wraith mode and it just shrills this awful sound. The game has way, way too many fairly useless audio ques that drive me nuts. I also tried playing Nioh but the combination of ridiculously fast combat and extreme challenge is probably going to be too much for me. These kinds of things either in part cause or provoke what I think is a certain level of OCD. Hurts the brain and causes so much noise in the mind that its hard to get it to be still and quiet again.

I used to not like them when I was a teenager and in my 20s by now I like turn-based games especially things like Expeditions Conquistador and Banner Saga. Games with lots of storytelling and that don't rush you. I'm really enjoying Ghost of Tsushima. Combat is challenging but regular combat has enough breathing room in it for me. Some of the bosses however like this Ronin duel I just had pushed me to the limit again because they move fast and there's multiple variables going on like unique enemy combat behavior, sound effects, music, cinematic background visuals and dialogue. This game is worth it though.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4580607 - 09/20/21 11:05 AM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm assuming Divinity 2 is an RPG? It must be a hot game since I've seen several of my Steam friends playing it a lot.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4580623 - 09/20/21 01:55 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by WangoTango
No game leaves me feeling sensory overload, quite like Destiny 2. Anyone else ? Similar games ?
I guess I feel entertained by the end of it.

dont know about sensory overload, but the original tomb raiders are still the only games that gives me vertigo, i can feel my stomach rushing every time i do a leap of faith or climb high.....even today when it looks like a pixelated mess. i guess its because they dont to that cheap widening cam effect everyone loves to do these days.

#4580624 - 09/20/21 01:59 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: Coot]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Coot
I'm getting to where I struggle and can't handle fast paced combat games. God of War on PS4 about pushed me to the max. Also Shadow of Mordor which I finally finished. I absolutely detest the artificially added, anxiety inducing unnecessary sound effects such as jumping down from a high place and your character goes into wraith mode and it just shrills this awful sound. The game has way, way too many fairly useless audio ques that drive me nuts. I also tried playing Nioh but the combination of ridiculously fast combat and extreme challenge is probably going to be too much for me. These kinds of things either in part cause or provoke what I think is a certain level of OCD. Hurts the brain and causes so much noise in the mind that its hard to get it to be still and quiet again.

I used to not like them when I was a teenager and in my 20s by now I like turn-based games especially things like Expeditions Conquistador and Banner Saga. Games with lots of storytelling and that don't rush you. I'm really enjoying Ghost of Tsushima. Combat is challenging but regular combat has enough breathing room in it for me. Some of the bosses however like this Ronin duel I just had pushed me to the limit again because they move fast and there's multiple variables going on like unique enemy combat behavior, sound effects, music, cinematic background visuals and dialogue. This game is worth it though.

stay away from rainbow six siege then, its sensory overload as you have to pay attention to any audio cue, call out from team mates, doubt said call out because yo know that character isnt in the map or you just passed through where said call out was, was that background noise or did you hear someone in the cam beside you ? is that footprint leading me to caveira or is she tricking me into a room to gangbang me ? are there valkeries cam in this corridor, do i look up or continue to focus on the door ahead, should i focus on the door or the stairs in front of me......WHY MY TEAM MATES LEFT ME BY MYSELF without saying anything ? oh god they are all dead, its on me now. what are those aproaching footsteps from multiple floor levels ?

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 09/20/21 02:02 PM.
#4580627 - 09/20/21 02:12 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm assuming Divinity 2 is an RPG? It must be a hot game since I've seen several of my Steam friends playing it a lot.

My son likes it. He has 90 hours in. This is his Steam review:

This game lives up to the reviews I have heard for a while now before finally trying it for myself. It really is one of if not the best RPG in the last decade. I have played it non stop since I first played about a week ago, I love it so much that I actually just bought it again on my switch to have it in handheld when I want to lay in bed and relax and having the steam cross saves is awesome. The story is not the main focus of this game rather it is a foundation given to you to build you're own story on. They really nailed the RPG elements i have played close to 50 hours and honestly feel like I haven't even cracked its shell, The world has a way of truly feeling alive and choices truly being meaningful. the combat is great and coming from someone who never cared for turn based the fact that I have fallen in love with it really speaks to how well they implemented it and made it right. I will be honest from what I got from early access baldur's gate 3 I think they did a bit better in that game for two simple reasons that by no means make DOS2's combat bad, balder's gate has a much faster pace to it felling a bit more alive. Secondly they have made it so that movement points and actual combat points are two separate things meaning if You move somewhere it doesn't hinder you from being able to do an attack that round. Those two things in my eyes would have made DOS2's combat a bit better but it is still great non the less. 100% recommend

#4580648 - 09/20/21 04:29 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: Blade_RJ]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
Originally Posted by Coot

stay away from rainbow six siege then, its sensory overload as you have to pay attention to any audio cue, call out from team mates, doubt said call out because yo know that character isnt in the map or you just passed through where said call out was, was that background noise or did you hear someone in the cam beside you ? is that footprint leading me to caveira or is she tricking me into a room to gangbang me ? are there valkeries cam in this corridor, do i look up or continue to focus on the door ahead, should i focus on the door or the stairs in front of me......WHY MY TEAM MATES LEFT ME BY MYSELF without saying anything ? oh god they are all dead, its on me now. what are those aproaching footsteps from multiple floor levels ?

Then they call you a scrub for not clutching that 1vs4 while they were all dead.

#4580651 - 09/20/21 04:36 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I'd like to know if anyone here has played... "Overload" in VR?

Overload is a #%&*$# good spiritual successor to Descent that came out a few years ago.

#4580656 - 09/20/21 04:53 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Overload is a #%&*$# good spiritual successor to Descent that came out a few years ago.

I was a HUGE fan of the Descent series. It's crazy for me to think that the last one (Descent 3) came out in 1999.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4580658 - 09/20/21 05:06 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Try Overload. Strong game, but in VR... heh, I don't have VR but can only imagine how disorienting it might be.

#4580671 - 09/20/21 07:21 PM Re: Sensory overload [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Try Overload. Strong game, but in VR... heh, I don't have VR but can only imagine how disorienting it might be.

BARF!...as in vomit inducing, not that it's a bad game.

#4580695 - 09/21/21 04:19 AM Re: Sensory overload [Re: WangoTango]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I didn't even think about VR for this thread but that must have more than a few games that in that environment that must to be too much to handle. I'd love to try VR for a combat/flight sim but what I'm afraid of is that I would like VR too much and end up wanting to play all these fantasy and rpg games with it. I'm also more afraid of how it would screw with my brain. For instance I couldn't see myself using it on a day I had to work or go out on the road and drive.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.