Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 342 of 366 1 2 340 341 342 343 344 365 366
#4580296 - 09/16/21 06:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 101

7 August 1918
No. 24 Squadron
Conteville, France

Difficult to concentrate on routine administrative tasks. All thoughts return to Eliza. Not even the bag is any use. I write this entry after lunch and recall what the Matron said last year.

“We all have ghosts. You will have your own soon enough. Eliza is still learning how to live with hers.”

Matron saw the truth of it then, for both of us.
But after yesterday everything is different. Has Eliza made her peace at last? I think it so! Now I must win through the coming storm.

C Flight flew the Noon patrol and returned having shot hundreds of rounds into Halberstadts which simply flew on. Lambert was confident that he hit one of the observers.

4.45 Afternoon patrol. I led a mixed flight. Our orders were to sweep the skies clear of Huns between the River Luce and the main rail line to the north, then continue low ground attacks.

On our side of the lines, 2 miles east of Doullens we sighted a formation of DFWs stacked vertically.

Came in under the lowest Hun. Started firing the Vickers in short bursts from 200 yards. Got the DFW smoking. I closed to 100 yards and opened up with both guns. Ten rounds later they both jammed.

Dammit!

[Linked Image]
Peeled away from the smoking Hun to clear the stoppages.

After a minute I cleared both guns and put on a fresh Lewis drum. In the interval, Foster sent the Hun down. Caught up to the leader and gave him continuous bursts of Vickers until I was within 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
Again, the Lewis jammed. I ran the Vickers dry but the Hun flew on.

Cursing my defective ammunition, I rolled off and let the others finish him.

By now 3 DFW littered the landscape and the other two dove for their lines.
I flew east and vented my fury on the German infantry saving but half a Lewis drum for the return to Conteville.

A brief if animated conversation with Lt. Brindle, Armaments Officer who immediately took possession of D330 to check her guns.

Three DFW shot down. Foster, Harries and Bair each with a victory.

RAF HQ denied all three claims, awarding two of DFWs to the AA boys and citing the third smoking wreck as indecisive.

Sons of B!tches!

I stood Bunny, Harries and Bair to drinks. It was the least I could do.

At dinner, after toasting the King, I broke the news to the squadron. Tomorrow morning at 4.20 the attack would begin.

8 August 1918
No. 24 Squadron
Conteville, France

Per my instructions, Jenkins woke me at 3.50. At 4.20 the guns spoke with a overwhelming roar.

8.30 On the early show with Hazell and A Flight. On our bombing run, black tailed Albatri attacked.

[Linked Image]
We hammered the marshaling yards near Rosières then turned to face the foe.

The flight scattered after the initial rush. I never did see another S.E.5 after that.

[Linked Image]
Dodging the Hun’s first attack, I dove and pulled back into him as he overshot.

These Albatri fly so slowly compared to the Fokkers. It was all to easy to get him in my sights.
He fell south of the rail junction.

I chased down another. My second burst with both guns shredded his right top plane.

[Linked Image]
The Albatros slid down toward a field. I thought he might make it, but he cartwheeled into the trees.

Strafing German infantry on way home. Pulling up from my second run I saw two Fokkers fighting one S.E.5!

[Linked Image]
I came upon the first Hun unawares and put half a drum of Lewis and 50 rounds of Vickers into him before he saw me.
“...and as he fell, the life left him.”

I never got lose enough to identify the other S.E.5. Of the second Hun, that was another matter.

[Linked Image]
“This man Meriones pursued and overtaking him
struck in the right buttock, and the spearhead drove straight
on and passing under the bone went into the bladder.
He dropped, screaming, to his knees, and death was a mist about him.”

Back to Conteville without incident. Others were not so fortunate. Two machines written off on landing from the morning patrol.
Lambert, Barton, Watkins and Southey and Beauchamp did not return.

Hazell and the others ran into 40 Fokkers and had one hell of a scrap. Hazell destroyed three and sent a fourth down damaged. I sent forward a recommendation for the Military Cross. Col. Cairnes promised to push it up the chain of command.

Hazell thought he saw Beauchamp make a forced landing behind German lines but couldn’t be certain.

At 1.00 PM Lambert telephoned from a battery. He was unharmed and reported Watkins and Barton down intact nearby. No word yet from Southey or Watkins.

1.30 Nothing for it but to step into the breach. Another low strafe of Hun positions near the Rosières marshaling yards.

[Linked Image]
One of the Kaiser’s locomotives ist kaput!

The afternoon and much of the night has been a lonely vigil waiting for news of my downed pilots. No. 24 Squadron were down 10 machines by day's end. Lambert returned around 11.00pm. Southey is alive and unharmed.

A mob of pilots in the orderly room with me, waiting for any word. At Midnight, Colonel Cairnes telephoned. All eyes looked to me as I set the telephone down after a very short conversation.

“That was Brigade. They congratulate No. 24 Squadron on their work today.”

I sent the assembled to bed and resumed the wait. Lawson stayed with me.

9 August 1918
No. 24 Squadron
Conteville, France

2.00 Vigil continues. Waiting for news of the missing. So far, No. 24 Squadron have lost 10 aircraft written off for 5 confirmed victories and 2 indecisive combats in addition to my own four claims. Wing denied the two Albatri but confirmed the two white-tailed Fokkers. One Hundred Sixty-eight

3.30 Call from No. 1 CCS. Watkins is alive and in their care. Gunshot wounds to the left leg and a bad cut on his forehead from the forced landing. He’s alive, thank the Gods.

5.00 I shall have no sleep. Flying today would be a bad idea.

8.00 Offensive patrol over Rosières with B and C flights. Crossed the lines north of Albert to a tremendous Archie reception.

[Linked Image]
A huge blinding flash directly in front of D330. The blast felt like a punch through the skull.

Something hard bounced off my right goggle, cracking the lens. The Wolseley ground to a stop with an audible death rattle. Half the propeller was gone. Chopping the throttle, I felt a sharp pain in my left bicep. Holding up my arm I could see a narrow 2-inch sliver of metal sticking straight out and without thinking I jerked it free. With petrol spraying everywhere, I switched off and broke for the lines. I felt like I was underwater. All my actions were slow and required extra effort. Archie rang my bell but good. Shaking my head did nothing to clear my senses.

[Linked Image]

Landed amongst some Canadians. The splinter left a small puncture wound in my left arm. Nothing to be concerned with. Roads jammed with troops and tanks moving up and wounded streaming to the rear. A battery commander gave me use of a telephone. I alerted Lawson to the fact that D330 would be going Depot for repair and to have another machine ferried to Conteville.

It was 4.00 PM when Corporal Chorley finally arrived in the Shelsley. All I wanted to do was sleep on the ride back to Conteville. Monstrous headache forming.

Bloody Hell! A Squadron Commander out of commission for an entire day during an Offensive. Ridiculous!

10 August 1918
No. 24 Squadron
Conteville, France

5.30 The morning light was like a knife into my brain. Jenkins brought me aspirin. I sent him back for another dose. Feels like my head is in a bucket, and this headache…will Athene soon burst fully grown from my skull?

6.15 Saw C Flight off on the morning show then took my new mount, D6967 up for flight testing. Nichols and Webb spent the night re-rigging her to my specifications. Excellent maneuverability and the engine gives plenty of power up to 20,000 feet. Feeling short of breath at altitude.

C Flight returned victorious. Lambert, Selwyn and Bair sending a Fokker down, all confirmed this time. Bair’s first Hun!

Remainder of the morning coordinating delivery of 8 replacement machines.

1.15 Offensive patrol over Chaulnes with A and C Flights. 13 AC in total. I went with Hazell and A Flight in the high group. Archie very active then the peppering stopped. I soon saw the reason.

Two layers of Huns 4000 feet above and descending. Eighteen aircraft. Seven Fokkers in the first wave. The second was a mixed group of Albatri, Pfalz and two of those bloody Hannovers!

The Fokkers carried too much speed and most overshot. When the second layer engaged the fight separated into individual combats. Two Fokkers came after me. One caught me with a glancing burst then both chased down low. Wing fabric ventilated but nothing vital hit. D6967 answered but was now slower rolling left. An enormous dogfight spread out between Chaulnes and Rosières. Dodging and snap shooting as the fight worked down from 10,000 feet. Aircraft fell out of the sky all around. I saw Foster send one of the Hannovers down in flames.

Changing out a Lewis drum I saw an SE5 down low with a Fokker in hot pursuit. I put my nose down and jammed the throttle forward.

[Linked Image]
Bunny in trouble!

Foster was in a tight spot but saw me coming down and reversed his turn to starboard. At 250 yards I gave the Hun a short burst of Vickers. He broke off Bunny and came hard left in a climbing turn. I followed higher then kicked left rudder and sliced back down onto his tail.

[Linked Image]
Two solid bursts from both guns and the Hun nosed over.
He fell north of Méharicourt, clawing the dust in his fingers

With Foster we climbed to the North looking for Huns. Found an Albatros in the distance fleeing east, but the torn fabric slowed D6967 enough so I couldn’t keep up with Foster’s machine. He let the Hun go and throttled back to rejoin me.

We soon came upon a group of 7 S.E.s circling in a bunch. By now we were all low of petrol. All the Huns were down or scattered. The remainder of A flight soon joined and with all 13 S.E.s in tow, Hazell took the lead and led us northwest to Conteville.

Quite a scene in the Orderly room on landing. Lawson was a busy man. In addition to my Fokker, Hazell and Lambert each had two, along with Bunny, Selwyn and Southey accounting for one apiece.

The day’s remaining two patrols found no enemy aircraft. When night fell, the squadron tally stood at 10 Huns downed for no loss.

Sent a recommendation forward for Selwyn. Between his ground attack on the 8th and today’s downing of the Hannover he’s earned it.

Call from Colonel Cairnes . Tomorrow would see us operating to the north of the Scarpe. A shift of focus for the next phase? Had General Rawlinson learned to quit when he was ahead?

In their rapid advance the infantry success outran their artillery and the offensive slowed. Judging by the scores of smoking wrecked tanks, casualties were heavy among the tank corps. I’d not seen any of the great machines intact today.

Black Fokker confirmed. One Hundred Sixty-nine.

Last edited by epower; 10/01/21 12:20 PM.
#4580303 - 09/16/21 06:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Epower - Not so sure it’s charm that explains the recent generosity of the claims board as it is pure dumb luck. Now, to the scar Freddy will be left with after his most recent go-round with the Fokkers, it will likely serve to improve his looks.

Fullofit - Raben’s fortunes as concerns his claims has to turn around at some point. Perhaps this next half dozen that are pending will do the trick for him. As for those suicidal SPADs, go figure.

Albert - Andrew managed some payback for his fallen mates, I hope it took some of the sting out of the losses. And a well-deserved bump to Captain - outstanding.

16 September 1918
43 Squadron R.A.F.
Fienvillers, France

The AMs had worked their collective magic and Major Frederick Abbott’s mount was now back in top form. Further, the last two Snipes had arrived and were now combat ready, so to mark the squadron at last being back up to full strength Freddy led all sixteen Snipes on a late-afternoon flip to the front and back. The Major ran nine planes in A Flight and seven in B Flight, with the latter flying 2,000’ below the former and acting as bait for the trap. As it turned out there was nothing to trap, no air Hun were anywhere to be found. Still, it was fine to see the entire complement of Snipes out en masse.

The lads of 43 Squadron forming up over Fienvillers before heading east to the front lines.
[Linked Image]

#4580307 - 09/16/21 07:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Epower - You snuck in while I was posting. So, bent cartridges and the ever-capricious claims board robs Ripper of his fair share of victories, that will put one in a foul mood. And 40 Fokkers in one group, you say? It’s amazing any of the King’s airmen made it back from that meeting. A scare there with that Archie hit as well, but very glad to learn your man’s wound was a minor one, (assuming he didn’t also suffer a concussion that could cause him issues in the future). And to cap it all off, ten Huns claimed in a single day by Oliver and his crew - well done!

#4580319 - 09/16/21 08:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Epower - That was some few days for Oliver and his comrades. Busy doesn't do it justice. If he needed something to take his mind off Eliza by jove did he get it! All of them did their fair share but the CO led from the front at all times, to the detriment of his health. Those gun jams, in 3 years of using the Lewis in the air they've still not sorted it, will they ever, probably not. Brindle's probably used to getting an earfull on such occasions. Sitting there waiting for news of downed pilots is a CO's lot but still not pleasant, thankfully most made it back. A shame about Beauchamp, hopefully he's ok. 169 confirmed kills, wow!

As for Andrew, Bella is a breath of fresh air, it's a double edged sword having her so near though. He can go to see her, but Toul is very near the front lines. That's a good idea about sticking with 'A' flight and now Andy is the flight leader it's more than doable.

Lou - A quiet first jaunt as a full squadron for Freddy, that must feel good having 16 Snipes in formation. 43 are going to scare the living daylights out of those Huns. As for Andy, yeah some payback was nice, a promotion nicer still.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4580329 - 09/16/21 09:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Captain Andrew Murphy, DSC, CdG.
22nd Aero
Toul airfield

29 confirmed kills

16th September 1918

Morning sortie

Replacement SPADs arrived and with the repairs there were now 14 available. Two replacement pilots also arrived, 2nd Lieutenant Todd Lufkin from Billings, Montana and 2nd Lieutenant Owen Warman from Sterling Heights, Michigan. Both were straight out of Issoudun. Andy found it hard to be over-friendly......he knew what was coming for them.

The morning sortie was a squadron sized patrol of the front around St Mihiel. Lufkin and Warman were told to come along but to disengage if trouble turned up.

The weather was still excellent as Andy led 'B' flight into formation and sat them directly atop and behind 'A' flight as they headed out north west.

They reached St Mihiel without incident and were patrolling around when Andy noticed a formation ahead coming across St Mihiel toward them.

It was a Jasta's worth of DVII's and they headed straight towards the 22nd.

Andrew stayed above 'A' flight and waited for them to turn to meet the incoming attack. He then turned 'B' flight towards the Huns too. "Let's see how you cope with all of us!" said Andy to no-one in particular.

The Fokkers had slight height advantage but Andrew fired into the leader again and forced him down underneath. He stayed up high though and came around, he could see a Fokker trying to climb up towards him but another SPAD swatted him away.

Andy picked a target, a Hun who was trying to latch onto another SPAD directly below. Andy dived down and blasted the Hun. The German dived down and Andy went with him. Keeping behind him and waiting for him to level out. The Fokker did just that and Andrew was right there behind him. He fired a devastating burst into the Fokker who's top left wing fell apart and the Hun spun like a spinning top all the way down.

Andrew took stock and saw another Fokker below running for the lines. He raced down after him and caught up easily. The Fokker tried to climb up and around but Andy's speed gave him a shot and he hit the German hard. The Fokker dived again but Andrew went with him and fired again. The Hun rolled and smashed into the ground.

Andrew levelled and took stock. He saw no other enemy aircraft and formed up with some nearby SPADs. They headed home and arrived safely.

On reporting in when everyone was back, five Fokkers had been downed for one SPAD lost, although Doolin was ok. A couple more were damaged but not bad.

Lufkin and Warman were fine too, they'd come home as ordered.

Afternoon sortie (awaiting two confirmations)

The afternoon sortie was 'B' flight only flying to the front north of Toul.

The weather was still good as Andy took his flight upto 12500 feet and then headed north.

They reached the front quietly enough and were patrolling around. As Andy looked right he saw specks off in the distance over the lines. Where they nearing? They didn't seem to be. Was it a melee? Hmm, they were definitely lower. He signalled for the flight to stay here and went to look.

He now saw what it was, several aircraft were about to start their landing cycles.

Andrew was in a pickle, by the time he flies back to bring the rest of 'B' flight back with him they'll have probably landed.

He nosed down and raced towards the circling enemy aircraft. He dived to the floor and tried to come in unseen. He saw a Hannover making it's final approach and suddenly came up behind him. He let loose with a tirade of bullets which had the Hannover virtually stalling, another burst and it was in flames. Andy pulled up and over and looked over his shoulder as the burning Boche smashed into the ground just before the airfield.

Just then Andy caught something to his right. It was a DVII who had come out of his landing cycle to take Andy on.

Andy flipped around and went straight at the Fokker who panicked and tried to climb away. Andy came around and nosed up. He blasted the Hun with both barrels. The Hun desperately tried to evade but Andrew was having none of it. He hit the enemy aircraft again with a good burst which had smoke and flames erupting from the now stricken foe.

Andrew watched as the Fokker tried desperately to get down but lost control and spun down......and smashed directly in front of what looked like the main building on the airfield fringe.

Andy whooped, "You can have that one back!" he said. Finally he flew low and made his way back to the lines and climbed up towards his waiting comrades.

They flew back to base and landed safely.

After checking with his flight mates, they hadn't seen either of his victims fall. He smiled to himself, he knew he'd got them.

Later on Captain Bridgeman confirmed the two morning claims. Needless to say the afternoon claims were denied. This took him to 31 confirmed kills.

In the mess later there was drinks and food to celebrate Andy's promotion, and no doubt enjoy the fact the squadron was pretty much upto full strength again.

Andy was sipping a bourbon, when Bridgeman came over. "Shame about those two this afternoon pal. You need to be Billy Bishop to have those things confirmed that far over the lines." said Bridgeman.

Andy laughed, "Yeah I know what you mean. But I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could."

"Knowing you? I know you would." said Bridgeman.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4580341 - 09/16/21 11:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, I know that guy. His son, Hans Grüber made a hit on Nakatomi Plaza, looking for bearer bonds, but this guy John McClane stopped him cold. Talk about denying his claim.
As for Andy, there is no way he would miss a fight with a Jasta worth of D.VII’s even if his own flight was two men down after the new arrivals turned back home, as ordered. Those Fokkers simply don’t stand a chance. The speed of the SPAD alone gives Murphy advantage, whether to leave a pursuing Fokker behind, or to catch one running away.
Then, in the afternoon something had gotten into our hero. What possessed him to leave the rest of his flight and take on an enemy airfield all by himself? Is he not feeling right? Does the captain think he’s indestructible? Does he not want to see Bella again? What could have been the reason? So many questions.

Epower, I promise to keep Klaus safe from any Strutters that may come his way. And you are right, I had no problems with that Fokker claiming that SPAD for his own. Go figure. But a stunt like today deserves a reprimand. Those wingmen are getting brazen now. As to the claims board, it is possible you have to reach a certain number before they even consider a review. In this case 6 was the correct number.
A bit of advice for our young Oliver: when making your peace with Eliza, do not and I repeat, do not mention Clarissa.
Now, on with the show.
… wait a minute …
Did you say Halberstadts?
As to those stolen claims by the Ack-Acks, ever thought of getting rid of them altogether? They never actually hit anything unless it’s friendly and steal all the claims. I say evict the poachers.
I do like that picture of the burning railyard and those Albatroses are the equivalent of the SPADs when the time comes to shooting them down, especially when you hit their bladders.
This offensive is taking its toll on Winninstad. Lack of sleep, loss of pilots and machines. He may be close to cracking. Better get some shuteye and congrats on the latest batch. 169, that’s crazy!

Lou, let’s hope something comes out of those 6 claims. Probably best to just flood them with claims and see what happens. As far as Klaus is concerned, getting into one of those SPADs is a suicide.
It would also be a suicide to engage Freddy’s 16 Snipes. That is why he hasn’t seen any opposition. Simples.

16 September, 1918 08:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
118 confirmed kills

Four claims have been confirmed. The claims board is back with a vengeance.
Morning was reserved for a patrol over Verdun Railyard NE junction. No contact, just a pleasant trip west - the area Klaus doesn’t usually visit.

16 September, 1918 14:40 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
118 confirmed kills

The Jasta was preparing for their afternoon show when the air raid siren went off. The planes scrambled and Klaus led them towards a flight of SPADs. He raced ahead while the rest struggled to catch up. He was now beneath the five SPADs and observing their movements. One decided to come down on his own. But mistimed it to fly straight into the approaching group of Fokkers. The other four split into two groups. First pair turned into the sun and the other two went straight for the Fokkers. Klaus kept below and waited. The pair that turned into the sun was now coming down. Raben barely avoided them, being blinded by the sun. The initial attack was now spent and the opposing forces melded into one chaotic furball. Klaus picked one up on his tail and was forced to shake him off. He was able to turn the tables on the Franzose and commenced an attack of his own. He had the enemy on the ropes when suddenly one of his own just shot in front of him attempting to steal his prize.
“- Gott im Himmel! That was close! I’ll need to have a talk with this one.”
The Fokker shot past and Klaus resumed his fusillade. The SPAD went down soon after. He looked for more action and found it nearby. Another SPAD fell quickly to Raben’s guns. After that there were only multiple smoking craters below. Klaus turned back to base.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4580344 - 09/17/21 01:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Epower – I'm not sure that Oliver is taking the sort of good care of himself that Eliza wished for. That was a scary near miss from the Archie. When I first saw the photograph, I misread the caption and thought it said, "Pilot health 50." Glad to see it was only a splinter. Outstanding day for 24 Squadron.

Lou – I'm sure the sight of all those lovely Snipes in formation has caused the Huns to take up gardening and park their nasty Fokkers.

Albert – It looks like Andrew is certainly leading the "American League." He is doing incredibly well!

Fullofit – Raben is on fire! Your last video had a few sphincter-clenching moments, but the bottom line is that those French Spads never had a chance against him. Well done!

I will be away from my WOFF computer for about a week and a half. My two sons are visiting, one from Ontario and the other from England. I'll do my best to keep up-to-date with everyone's progress while I am away. I have played a few days ahead so that it will be easier to catch up on my return. The following episode will bring Fergie's story up until this Friday...

Journal of 2nd Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond, DFC
32 Squadron, Royal Air Force
La Bellevue, France

Part 11

[Linked Image]
"My first long burst ripped away both his right wings and the EA tumbled from the sky."

Finally they sent us on a patrol somewhere other than Haubordin. Captain Zink took us at dawn on 15 September for an offensive patrol east of Vimy Ridge and north. After the previous day’s mauling, we were down to only five machines, two of which were the old Hisso-engined jobs. There was a three-quarters cloud base around 8000 feet. With luck we could hide in it and run away if we bumped into anything. And bump into things we did! We were only two or three miles into Hunland when a group of at least a dozen Fokkers emerged from behind a cloud and made directly for us. Zink had the good sense to turn back toward our own lines, so we were a little into friendly territory when the Huns caught up with us.

They were fast, these Huns. They not only caught us, but they outclimbed us and flew circles around us. At one point I had three of the fellows all to myself. I tried to line up one of them while distracting the other two by letting them sit on my tail and shoot pieces out of my wings! It didn’t take too long for me to get fed up with this show and head for the nearest cloud. I just made it, too. By staring at the compass once it finally stopped spinning, I made sure that I was well inside our lines before I descended into the rain and drizzle below the clouds. To my joy, Bud Hale’s machine showed up about a half-mile ahead of me and to my right. We paired up and made for the forward aerodrome at Mont-Saint-Eloi, where we found some helpful mechanics with a few spare hours to put our machines back together.

The next day was supposed to be a balloon strafe but we never made it over the lines. When we were airborne about five minutes and just circling for altitude, a crowd of Fokkers appeared. We had never seen Hunnish fighting machines this far over before. It was a wild show and parts of it were visible to our boys on the ground. These were the same fast Fokkers as yesterday, and they gave us an awfully good kicking about. The gods were on our side and everyone managed to return, torn up but safe. I was lucky enough to spot one Hun low down and straggling homeward. I was on him quickly and put a long burst into him, which sent him spinning toward the ground. A number of machine guns opened up from the many camps in the fields east of La Bellevue. I saw my Hun dive straight into the ground. Unfortunately for me, one of the infantry battalions in the area got the credit for my Fokker.

We were up three times on 17 September. Our early patrol took us to the south, a line patrol in the Bapaume sector. We saw plenty of our own machines but no Huns came out to play. Just before lunch I was in the B Flight hangar chatting with the technical sergeant when the klaxon sounded because there were enemy machines nearby. I got trusty old 6974 rolled out and started up. After a tense few minutes waiting for the engine to warm up, I took to the sky behind Munroe and Hale. Our Ack Ack guns alerted us to the Huns – a group of four or five two-seaters. As we climbed toward them I could see that they were busy dropping bombs on our aerodrome at Soncamp Farm, just a little north of our own home at La Bellevue.

The Huns had turned for home by the time I approached their altitude. There was no chance to catch them so I turned back west. That’s when I spotted a lone two-seater down at 2000 feet. I had no idea what this fellow had been up to, but whatever his game was it was about to end. I dived on him and surprised his gunner. My first long burst ripped away both his right wings and the EA tumbled from the sky. This one was all mine, a lovely Hannover. It was quickly confirmed as my eleventh victory.

The celebration was muted, although Hale and Lawson had each scored as well. We had lost Andy Monroe, our jovial Irishman who had been with us for only three weeks.

Even though we were now back down to five machines, they sent us up again later in the day. We escorted some French Bréguets over the lines to Vitry. Our trip was cut short by a vast cloud of Fokkers. I thought for sure the end had come. At one point I was forced down to 1000 feet while ten miles deep into Hunland. Four – count them – four Fokkers were taking turns trying to kill me. All I could do was turn about to face them every time one of them got behind. That was pretty much every three seconds. For nearly fifteen minutes the game continued, and every so often one of the Huns put a burst into my machine. But God bless 6974! She kept on running and eventually one Hun after the other ran out of bullets, petrol, or Hunnish frightfulness and left me. It seemed like a miracle when I finally reached the lines at just 500 feet. Of course, every rifle and ground machine gun in Hundom opened up and poked more holes in my poor SE. But I made it all the way home, where the Ack Emmas counted more than ninety bullet holes.

My joy at my safe return was multiplied by discovering that each of my mates was down safely on our side of the lines, although every one of them was badly shot about. And topping it all was the news that Callender had bagged one of the Fokkers in flames.

Attached Files Kill 11.jpg
Last edited by Raine; 09/17/21 01:09 AM.
#4580345 - 09/17/21 02:28 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.
Lt , Rfc, 54 Sqn
Avensnes- Le-Comte,
Flanders.

Sept 15, 1918.

6 Victory Confirmed
5 Unconfirmed

HQ Army rejected the last kills made by B flight. The feeling was that since a major structure of the e/a Broke apart that it must have been Archie's large guns that did the job. Also Archie needs its share of Glory. However, We did receive a Cheese Log and a bottle of wine from 323rd Arty ( Air Defense ) Noting our Assistance to the Main endeavor. I Need a Law Dog.

Attached Files 30b52d5b1987cb59af5236a4d8334ca1--rage-comics-funny-memes[1]-1503440841643  Sinfelt.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 09/17/21 02:28 AM.
#4580356 - 09/17/21 08:30 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Yes that's the guy. So just remember, it's just Grüber and his Tombola machine at the claims office now. Four jawohls later though and Klaus is a happy guy. Then onto today, a quiet first mission then a run in with the French on the second. As usual the first one was hard to bring down, he was quite tricky but it was always at the cost of height so it was always a losing fight. That is until one of Klaus's 'friends' tried to give him a midair hug. I know the Luftstreitkräfte motto is 'I will be like Boelcke' but surely they don't mean how he died too! Have a word. As for Andy, it was a there and then decision, let them go or try and take a couple down. He was confident he could nail one, the Fokker was a bonus.

Raine - Andy is doing well, and better for the fact the squadron is upto speed again. Now to Fergie, a rough and tough few days for him and 32 squadron. Those new Fokkers are a definite handful, You can see they have more power at altitude now. The gods were with him and his pals though throughout those few days. Those SE's were well put together in general and thankfully it showed. Shame about Monroe. Fergie managed to bag a Hannover for number 11 too. Good stuff.

Enjoy the get-together pal.

Carrick - Hard luck on that claim, I'm not sure a hotshot lawyer is going to do much, but a cheese roll and wine! Now you're talking.

#4580371 - 09/17/21 12:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - I don't think a law dog will help when it comes to the claims board, they're above the law and play fast and loose even with their own rules.

Raine - Enjoy having your sons home! When was the last time they were there together? As for Fergie's recent outings, he and his mates were all lucky to get themselves down in one piece after that last go-round, even if their machines hadn't fared as well. Great close-up of that deconstructed Hun two-seater.

Fullofit - Yikes was that close! Time to get out the bat and have another one of those kette mate instructional talks. Glad to see the Kaiser's hero is at last getting a little love on those claims of his. About time.

Albert - So the two new red shirts managed to survive their first outing, eh? They best not get too cocky though. And on the subject of cocky, Andy took some chances attacking planes at ground level over a Hun drome. He's fortunate it ended so well for him. If he wishes to break the 40 mark he best limit such risky behaviour.

17 September 1918
43 Squadron R.A.F.
Fienvillers, France

Major Abbott knocked down three more Fokkers this morning during an OP southeast of Delville Wood, while the rest of his flight accounted for another four. Time will tell about how charitable the claims board will be.

Fokker number one sheds a wing to Abbott's guns ...
[Linked Image]

... and falls.
[Linked Image]

Fokker number two is shredded by Abbott's guns ...
[Linked Image]

... and falls.
[Linked Image]

Fokker number three is hammered by Abbott's guns ...
[Linked Image]

... explodes, and falls.
[Linked Image]

#4580378 - 09/17/21 01:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lou - A fearsome sight all them Snipes aloft. That'll give the Hun pause.
The gun jams become tedious. What can a man do but soldier on?
Freddy's Snipe fueled reign of Terror continues. Brilliant show for the Major and the boys of 43 Squadron. Excellent pics as always. The stern view of the descending flamer was particularly evocative.

Albert - That close proximity thing with nurses is horrible especially since they're just down the road but the war keeps the lovers apart. Most frustrating indeed. Andrew needs to stay focused on the war part...which it appears he's doing, remaining aloof and guarding against the inevitable deaths of the new men. Some solid work in the morning then a lovely afternoon vulch. Isn't it fun catching them when they're vulnerable like that. Next time you must have witnesses! Congrats on the confirmations and cracking 30.

Fullofit - Yes, Halberstadts. That's what the man who was there said, so we're going with it, primary source and all. Does seem rather desperate. But Lambert also has a discussion of Hannovers flying fighter ops a la Brisfits. Oliver has been known to say the wrong thing on more than one occasion, and there's still that coin thing. I'd say a Clarissa blab remains a possibility. Time will tell.
Four of six confirmed ain't bad and now Klaus edges ever closer to theat tantalizing 120 mark. These poaching Schweinehunden must be dealt with. Stentorian tones, KP, or an arse kicking. Something.
As for eliminating the AA boys, well, they do provide a stiff drink and a telephone when one gets shot down or makes a forced landing. Occasionally they even highlight e/a though with the Huns keeping to their side of the lines most times that rarely factors.

Carrick - A law dawg! Now that is a good idea. Most unfortunate about the lost claim. Blasted AA poachers! At least yours had the common decency to send a cheese log.

Raine - Fergie is in it now. Tough losses mounting but he's making those two seaters pay. Chased by 4 of those Fokkers, you say? They do that sometimes. Thank the gods for big engines and skilled A/Ms. Glad Fergie ran them out of ammo.
Congrats on 11. Liked the pic.
Enjoy the family visit. We'll keep a seat by the bar here for Fergie's return.

#4580387 - 09/17/21 02:52 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 102

11 August 1918
No. 24 Squadron
Conteville, France

Jenkins woke me at 6.00. As always, he had everything laid out for me the previous evening. Toothbrush and personal kit in case of capture. Flask topped off.
He set the tea and biscuit on the table, then instead of departing quietly as he usually did, he lingered, tidying up and brushing my tunic a final time.

“A long day ahead, sir.”

For the first time I saw open worry on his face.

Headache constant now, the aspirin does helps somewhat but the pain is always there.
Long day indeed. No. 24 were down two men. I would fly three patrols today.

6.50 Morning attack on Epinoy aerodrome, 15 miles into Hunland in 54 Squadron’s old operating area near Flez. Over the aerodrome a gift from the gods.

Zeus Father! We have them in the open!

[Linked Image]
My aim was slightly off and bombs landed just behind the parked Albatri

[Linked Image]
One Hun came striding forward as I strafed the entire flight line.

Half the Jasta got into the air as I turned in again for another run. Five planes near where my bombs landed remained motionless. Another stopped halfway through his takeoff.

[Linked Image]
A second strafing pass got one burning near where my bombs fell. Two others sat smoking and their pilots inert in their cockpits. The last intact Albatros fled down the field…

As I watched the Hun rise into the air everything around me appeared to slow down, while I moved at my normal speed. Like a dream, the skies once again became as a dry plain below the walls of Priam’s city…

“Let him go. He will not again have daring to try me in battle,
since even now he was glad to escape my onset.”

[Linked Image]
“But Achilleus, gathering the fury upon him, sprang on the Trojans
with a ghastly cry, and the first of them he killed was Iphition
the great son of Otrynteus and a lord over numbers of people,
born of a naiad nymph to Otrynteus, sacker of cities,
under the snows of Tmolos in the rich countryside of Hydē.
Great Achilleus struck him with the spear as he came in fury,
in the middle of the head, and all the head broke into two pieces.
He fell, thunderously.”

[Linked Image]
“…Next, after him, facing Demoleon
lord defender of battle and son of Antenor, Achilleus
stabbed him in the temple through the brazen sides of the helmet,
and the brazen helmet could not hold, but the bronze spearhead
driven on through smashed the bone apart, and the inward
brain was all spattered forth. So he beat him down in his fury.”

[Linked Image]
“Now he hit Echeklos the son of Agenor
with the hilted sword, hewing against his head in the middle
so all the sword was smoking with blood, and over both eyes
closed the red death and the strong destiny.”

[Linked Image]
“…Now Deukalion
was struck in the arm, at a place in the elbow where the tendons
come together. There through the arm Achilleus transfixed him
with the bronze spearhead, and he, arm hanging heavy, waited
and looked his death in the face. Achilleus struck with the sword’s edge
at his neck, and swept the helmed head far away, and the marrow
gushed from the neckbone, and he went down to the ground at full length.”

[Linked Image]
“Now he went on after the blameless son of Peires,
Rhigmos, who had come over from Thrace where the soil is rich. This man
he stabbed in the middle with the spear, and the spear stuck fast in his belly.
He dropped from the chariot, but as Areïthoös his henchman
turned the horses away Achilleus stabbed him with the sharp spear
in the back, and thrust him from the chariot. And the horses bolted.”

“As inhuman fire sweeps on in fury through the deep angles,
of a drywood mountain and sets ablaze the depth of that timber,
and the blustering wind lashes the flame along, so Achilleus
swept everywhere with his spear like something more than a mortal
harrying them as they died, and the black earth ran blood.”

I returned from the waking dream. The Vickers was empty and I had half of my last Lewis drum remaining. One final strafing pass down the shattered flight line. Of the five aircraft I hit with bomb fragments, one was burning like a funeral pyre, two others shredded by bullets, their pilots slumped over, wounded, or dead. Of the remaining two I couldn’t be certain if the pilots fell into the cockpit or made good their escape to cover.

Landing at Conteville I made my tally. Of the grounded Huns, one kill definitely, two others very likely. In the air, five. Eight. I appended a note to Colonel Cairnes on a separate Combat Report for the other Albatri on the ground. When Southey returned, it was clear he’d put some rounds into the last Hun so we sent the claim up as shared.

Noon – Offensive patrol, Roye to the river Luce.

[Linked Image]
Crossed the lines at 14,000 with B flight to starboard and 1500 feet below.

Northeast of Roye a gaggle of 7 Fokkers flew 1000 feet below our altitude. Hazel took A flight wide, as B flight turned to engage. We caught the Huns in a two-pronged attack.

Huge dogfight ensued, aircraft buzzed everywhere.

[Linked Image]
After two close calls, I broke high and circled the melee.

We had the Huns outnumbered so if was simply a matter of timing my attack to avoid a collision.

[Linked Image]
A long burst from range separated his wing

I broke sharply to avoid the debris and ran right onto a second Fokker. After a short burst he scissored. I landed another raking shot as he crossed my sight.

[Linked Image]
No obvious damage to man or machine but the Fokker nosed over left and steepened into a full dive, crashing into his own trenches.

Found Southey at the rally point but no others.

[Linked Image]
No e/a about so we shot up the Kaiser’s infantry.

[Linked Image]
Climbing out after my second run the Boche gunners found the range.

[Linked Image]
I could barely keep her level. Southey flew top cover as I made of Lahoussoye

[Linked Image]

Landed at Lahoussoye. The left undercarriage collapsed and she went over, digging in with her left wing. For a moment I feared she would cartwheel but the wet ground yielded and D6967 slid to a halt. Another machine off to the Depot. Two in as many days.

I waved at Southey as he flew over. He turned for Conteville as the Ack Ems raced out toward me.

Back at Conteville by 3:30. Tried to work the bag but my head continued pounding. Here my streak of work ended at one month and a day. Exhausted and short of breath I rested before the late patrol.

You’re getting old, Oliver.

5.30 Offensive patrol over Chaulnes. B and C Flights went up together. I flew Southey’s machine with B Flight.

[Linked Image]

Nearing the patrol area we split well wide. 12,000 feet over Foucaucourt, B flight tangled with a Schwarm of silver Pfalz at our altitude. C Flight swept down into the fighting and the Pfalz scattered. I chased one low and sent three good bursts into him from 100 yards. He fell in our lines. Two other Pfalz would fall to B Flight.

Circled to gather up the scattered flight when I saw a full Jasta of Fokkers 4000 feet above. Fortunately, they didn’t see us and continued east.

Colonel Cairnes telephoned after dinner confirming 8 of my 11 claims. The shared Albatros went to Southey. Fine by me.

“Good show, 24 Squadron!”

“Thank you, sir. We gave the Huns a d@mn good thrashing.”

“Quite. I sent your second CR up to RAF HQ. They confirmed that Albatros you set afire on the ground, but the other two will be considered damaged only, and therefore indecisive. Bit of a slippery slope if we start counting ground victories when the machine isn’t completely destroyed.”

“I understand, sir.”

“I say, Winningstad, you’re flying three patrols in a day now. Can’t say I approve. It’s a bit much for the Officer Commanding, even for a fire-eater like yourself. Then you go and get shot down again.”

“Given our recent losses, sir, I felt it necessary to lead my men in the air. And I wasn’t shot down sir, it was emergency landing at Lahoussoye. Heavy damage, that was all.”

Colonel Cairnes harumphed audibly then continued. “That may be, Major but we can’t have our Squadron Commanders writing off aircraft or themselves on a daily basis, now can we?”

“No, sir.”

“Very good. I’m glad that’s sorted. Now then, I’ll need you here at Wing tomorrow no later than 11.30.”

“What is this about, sir?”

“Something is going to happen at Noon that has not happened in two hundred years. As a Squadron Commander and Victoria Cross holder, you should be here. 11.30 Winningstad,” said Colonel Cairnes , then he rang off.

What on earth was he going on about? Bloody Red Tabs! I need to be in the air not skulking around the Chateau Bertangles.

Eight Huns today. One Hundred Seventy-seven

Last edited by epower; 10/01/21 12:22 PM.
#4580397 - 09/17/21 03:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Epower - Wowzers, eight confirmed in a single day! A gong-worthy performance there, methinks. But oh his poor, poor kite. And what a total for our Ripper at this point, most impressive, so much so perhaps that he's now be strongly considered as a Red Tab candidate. Look out! Brill screenies BTW.

#4580417 - 09/17/21 05:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - You're right of course, very risky, a bullet in the fuel pipe and Andy's eating wood shaving broth until liberation day.........but it was great fun. His missions today are just as risky though. Now to Freddy, a superb day for 43 squadron and our hero grabbed three of the blighters and without a scratch. He's in top form at the moment that's for sure.

Epower - It is fun for sure, the predator takes over. There's a risk but less than an airfield attack and Andy has one of those today. I agree about having the loved ones nearby in wartime, it's fine out in the country miles from anywhere but in a town near the front.

Now to Oliver, what a performance from the maestro there. A gift horse might have helped start it but he was downing stallions by the end. 11 claims registered and 8 confirmations. He had the claims board on overtime there. A semi ticking off from Carries there and now he's needed over at Bertangles. I agree with Lou, be careful he's not strapped to a desk......even Achilleus had a weak spot. Splendid pictures.

#4580429 - 09/17/21 06:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Captain Andrew Murphy, DSC, CdG.
22nd Aero
Toul airfield

31 confirmed kills

17th September 1918

Morning sortie

Captain Bridgeman had asked Andy to organise a balloon busting mission late last night. Andy chose Swaab and the new guy Warman, it would be good experience, although he gave orders to Warman NOT to engage the enemy unless directly attacked.

The weather was again excellent, it was going to be another hot September day as the three Americans took off, climbed and headed out north. The balloon was east of the Lac de Madine and was the only eyes the retreating Germans had in the area since the start of the attack.

They reached the old front easily enough and nosed down towards the target.

Andy saw the gasbag in the distance, motionless in the clear skies.

As he got within range he opened fire and blasted the balloon. He watched as a stream of black smoke came out of the front of the Drachen. He came around again and another burst had the balloon erupting in bright orange flame.

Satisfied, Andy formed up with the other pair and they headed low back across the lines.

As they crossed, Andrew looked up and saw an arrow shaped formation high above, almost certainly an enemy patrol.

They were across the lines now but Andy sensed something. He looked around behind and saw a growing speck coming towards him. One of the enemy aircraft had obviously seen the trio and chanced his arm.

Andy signalled the other two to wait here and swung around to face the incoming DVII.

The Fokker flew overhead and tried to come down and around onto Andy's tail but he was too smart for that trick. He rolled and dived and then bolted up and over.

A turning match now ensued but Andy knew the Hun was going to have to make a run for it at some point.

He was right, as the ground approached the Fokker flipped around and sped towards the lines.

Andy was ready and got onto his tail. He blasted the enemy aircraft with several accurate bursts and watched as it spiralled down into the ground.

Andy formed up again after making sure no more Huns fancied their chances. They headed home and landed safely.

Afternoon sortie (awaiting one confirmation)

The afternoon sortie was a squadron attack on Mars-La-Tour airfield. Andy, at the head of 'B' flight, ordered them to stay near to 'A' flight at least until they headed down to attack the airfield. 'A' flight was going to fly top cover during the attack.

The sun shone brightly as the 22nd Aero took off and headed north. As they neared the lines Andy could see explosions all along the horizon, throwing clouds of dust up. The attack was still in full swing at the moment.

Eventually, the white hangers of Mars-La-Tour came into view and he signalled to head down.

Andy made his pass first and fired a long burst into what looked like equipment dumps. Another burst had them in flames, which quickly spread to the nearby tents.

At that moment Andy's gaze was taken by the airfield itself. At least six Hannover two seaters had now started their engines and were beginning to roll down the airfield.

The Hun gunners fired into the SPADs as they flew overhead. Andrew escaped unscathed but now waited for the lead Hannover to get airborne.

As it climbed, Andy raced down behind and below it. He now nosed up and hammered the Hun, the gunner went straight away, flailed over his gun. Another long burst struck the pilot and the Hannover nosed down and went straight into the ground.

Swaab and Brooks had raked the remaining Hannovers as they tried to get airborne and they had come to a stop.

The other airborne Hun tried to get on Andy's tail from behind but his bullets missed. Andy swept around and behind the enemy aircraft and sent a powerful burst into the Hannover's front fuselage. Flames erupted out of the engine and smoke poured out. The Hannover hung in the air and then stalled down and smashed into the ground.

Andy now carried on hitting the airfield, starting more fires next to the hangers.

Finally he was happy with the damage done and saved a little ammo for the trip home.

'B' flight formed up and left the smoking airfield and stricken aircraft behind them.

They headed home and landed safely. Several SPADs had taken hits, mostly from the Hannover's gunners, but weren't too damaged.

Later on Bridgeman confirmed all three of Andy's claims, all three had been clearly seen by his flight mates. Andy was now on 34 confirmed kills. He also confirmed that HQ were happy with the damage caused to the enemy airfield.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpgB7.jpg

#4580451 - 09/17/21 10:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Attention!

[Linked Image]

His Majesty King George V hereby confers the following honour:

[Linked Image]

By order of His Majesty the King, this third award of the Distinguished Service Order is conferred this thirteenth day of August, 1918.

A grateful people thank you for your service and loyalty.

#4580452 - 09/17/21 10:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Attention!

[Linked Image]

President Woodrow Wilson is proud to present the following citation:

[Linked Image]

Citation to the award reads as follows:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Andrew Murphy, Captain (Air Service), U.S. Army, for extraordinary acts of heroism in action, Verdun, France. This pilot continues to display great courage, skill, and determination in the skies above the front. During the current offensive he has repeatedly attacked and destroyed superior numbers of enemy aircraft, often bringing down three or more in a single day. His actions have resulted in over thirty confirmed aerial victories to his credit thus far, and he serves as a true example of what the American fighting man should be.

The people of the United States are sincerely grateful for your brave service. God Bless America.

#4580453 - 09/17/21 10:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Achtung!

[Linked Image]

It is the Kaiser's Royal and Imperial command that the following individual be recognized for his valor:

[Linked Image]

Citation to the award reads as follows:

Rittmeister der Reserve Klaus Gustav Raben, currently with the Kaiser’s Fleigertruppen in Jasta 18, is to be commended most highly for his ongoing service and loyalty. This individual has shown time and time again his great courage, skill, and fortitude in aerial combat against the enemy. At last count this intrepid flieger has destroyed 118 hostile flugmaschinen and observation balloons, and has assisted in the driving down of many more. His is a record of achievement that is unparalleled and it serves as an outstanding example to all. In recognition of these achievements, he is awarded the Order of the Red Eagle, Third Class, with Crown and Swords. By order of the All Highest, Kaiser Wilhelm II, this 17. September 1918.

You make the Vaterland most proud.

#4580461 - 09/18/21 01:01 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, I agree. My sphincter definitely had a workout. The thing is, they continue to throw larger and larger numbers of SPADs at Klaus. One of those days …
Enjoy your time with kids. Must be weird to call them that at their current age.
Looks like those fast Fokkers are running interference denying Drummond completing his missions. Not so with the two-seaters. Congrats on that confirmation. Then back to Fokkers. Being outnumbered like that will eventually end badly I’m afraid. Fergie was lucky this time, but just.

Albert, it was one of those days for Klaus where your wingman was your worst enemy. Almost. Thankfully Klaus avoided being Boelcke’d.
As for Andy, a simple jaunt over the lines to pop the balloon which was soon after spiced up by an addition of a foolhardy Hun. Murphy waited patiently for the Boche to empty his bag of tricks and run for home. They never learn and always, always try to outrun a SPAD. Why? I suppose there is no alternative.
Then the afternoon strafing job deep into Hunland. Once more Murphy played with fire over enemy airfield. It only takes one bullet to cut the fuel lines and Andrew would be a guest of the Flak battery commandant. Luck was with him however and did not let him go even when it came to claims. Well done on successfully claiming them all.
Congrats also on the DSC. This will definitely be another excuse to go see Bella. Keep it up and Andrew will know that road to Toul by heart.

Lou, one of those days all this is going to end badly. Someone’s going to lose an eye.
In case of Freddy’s Fokkers, they’re going to get skewered and fricasseed.
Thank you and Raine for the lovely trinkets. The ballast needed to weigh pilot’s chest.

Epower, if they say Halberstadts then Halberstadts it is. Who am I to tell them otherwise? As to Clarissa it may not be a blab, but a confession fuelled by an excellent bottle of scotch. Oliver won’t be able to keep that a secret for long.
That never ending supply of SPADs will ensure Klaus reaching and surpassing that 120 mark … erm, mark my words. And it does appear that poaching kills is a sport at Jasta 18. Klaus will have to learn the rules and play along.
So, I see Oliver is doing Luftstreitkräfte a favour by eliminating old Albatroses and making room for the new, shiny Fokkers. Well done nonetheless. 8 confirmed in one day. That must be a new record. I didn’t know the claims board could count this high. Then the potato heads down in the trenches had their revenge by thrashing the old D6967 and fortunately missing Winningstad completely.
Congrats on the newest bling. That Gong Fairy isn’t giving up.

17 September, 1918 06:00 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
118 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

No news on the latest claims.
The orders came in to patrol enemy front lines south of Pont-à-Moussonnthis morning.
Jasta encountered two flights of SPADs over NML. Klaus felt like a punching bag with the enemy planes taking shots at him from every direction. He could not engage as another wave of enemy was always on his tail. It was only after the rest of his Schwarm engaged that he was allowed to pursue the enemy. In the ensuing melee he damaged one and brought two others down. Which his mount shot up he was in no mood to pursue the stragglers. He returned directly back to base.

YouTube Link

17 September, 1918 12:40 noon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
118 confirmed kills
Awaiting four claim confirmations

Raben’s Schwarm was scrambled just after noon. Enemy bombers were seen heading this way. They all safely got up in the air and began climbing. They were still too low when the bombers arrived and two of them detached from the formation to wreak some chaos. Klaus dove lower and towards the safety of his Kette. Those beasts wouldn’t dare attacking him with the rest of the Schwarm around. At least that was his reasoning, but you can’t reason with the Bréguets. They came regardless. Thankfully Raben was able to avoid the initial attack and mix in with his wingmen. The Bréguets had no choice but to go through the Schwarm to get to him and that was a problem. It wasn’t easy for them at all. Klaus gathered his wits and was finally able to go on the offensive. He sent a burst into one of them as the big plane was flying by. He then switched to the other one, but seeing that the rest of the Schwarm was taking good care of him, he switched back to his original target and could see him retreating. Klaus easily caught up to him and unleashed his Spandaus from a safer distance. He continued to hammer the bomber as the distance between the two planes diminished and ended only after one of the Bréguet’s wings departed from the machine. Klaus didn’t take long to admire his handiwork. The other plane was coming his way. It was already set alight by another Fokker, but Klaus sent another burst into the beast to make sure it goes down and to claim the credit for himself.

YouTube Link

On their way back he could see Schwarm Eins engaged in a battle with some SPADs. Clearly the escorts. Raben pointed his Fokker at one of the duelling pairs. He got there right on time and began his pursuit. Round and round they went, with Raben taking potshots at the SPAD. Finally the Franzose took a dive and began corkscrewing towards the ground. Another Fokker dove after it to make sure, but Klaus was certain it wasn’t necessary. Besides, he already had his eye on another prize flying low below. He went after him but lost the enemy beneath his wings. When he saw him next the SPAD flashed right in front of him and was engaging a Fokker. Klaus caught him with a snapshot while going head to head and the French machine spun back down. Klaus observed the theatrics and smirked when the enemy levelled off just above the ground and began to run. Raben dove after him and unleashed a punishing series of volleys that sent the enemy into the ground. Klaus could hear the exploding ammunition as he flew by the burning wreck. No one was coming close to that crash site for a while.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4580464 - 09/18/21 03:36 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Really great pics and stories

RAF: Looks like the Awards and Decks R keeping U busy

Last edited by carrick58; 09/18/21 03:38 AM.
Page 342 of 366 1 2 340 341 342 343 344 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM