Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4577940 - 08/23/21 01:33 AM Red Storm Rising  
Major Dragon Offline
Major Dragon  Offline

I recently reread RSR by Tom Clancy. Great novel and I wondered why it had never been made into a movie.

Among the reasons posted online were:

The Cold War ended, then the USSR broke up,
and now Middle Eastern states and radical Muslims are the bad guys.

Another line of reasoning was that it has too many main characters and too many distant settings.

Then a few weeks ago a film writer/director said in an interview that he was going to make a movie but the studio told him it would have to be a series not a movie because it had too many main characters and too many settings.

Then I thought about GOT. Lots of main characters in lots of different settings!

So I’d like to see a multi season series based loosely on RSR set in the modern day Baltic States with nato responding to a Russian invasion and in Ukraine. The book 2017 War With Russia is not as good as RSR but could also provide narrative.

Would someone who works for Netflix or Amazon please get with the owners of the Clancy franchise and see that this idea gets some traction!!!!

Last edited by Major Dragon; 08/23/21 01:36 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4577990 - 08/23/21 05:09 PM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Great book Major .I've read all of Tom Clancy's book all good reads..This book was a good read also
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Yankee-Novel-World-War/dp/1612006493

Russ
Semper Fi
#4577994 - 08/23/21 05:46 PM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Major Dragon

So I’d like to see a multi season series based loosely on RSR set in the modern day Baltic States with nato responding to a Russian invasion and in Ukraine.

The nice thing about streaming services is that their business model is very different from that of film studios so I could see this happening. I'm not sure but maybe Amazon has the current adaptation rights for Clancy's novels or does it only cover their "Jack Ryan" series? Either way, the streaming service would have to acquire the rights to adapt RSR first and then go from there.

I just HOPE that whoever gets the rights to RSR will avoid the ridiculous WOKE trap that Amazon fell into with "Without Remorse".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/23/21 05:48 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4578032 - 08/24/21 08:59 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Major Dragon

So I’d like to see a multi season series based loosely on RSR set in the modern day Baltic States with nato responding to a Russian invasion and in Ukraine.

The nice thing about streaming services is that their business model is very different from that of film studios so I could see this happening. I'm not sure but maybe Amazon has the current adaptation rights for Clancy's novels or does it only cover their "Jack Ryan" series? Either way, the streaming service would have to acquire the rights to adapt RSR first and then go from there.

I just HOPE that whoever gets the rights to RSR will avoid the ridiculous WOKE trap that Amazon fell into with "Without Remorse".

Good book but rotten movie.Should have been made with Willem DaFoe

Russ
Semper Fi
#4578100 - 08/25/21 04:58 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: rwatson]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
The issue with the recent Clancy adaptations is that they are in name only for the most part. The Jack Ryan series has major character changes that are well acted but not true to the story. James Greer is no longer an Admiral, a CIA director, Ryan's father figure, mentor, and boss. Instead he is Ryan's partner in spy stuff, nearly the same age and devout Muslim. Only a small departure. His wife's medical specialty and work place are different. In Without Remorse, John Clark is a serving Seal that is involved in a bad operation and goes after those responsible. In the book, he is a retired Seal from Baltimore that has had a woman he is protecting murdered by a drug boss. He goes lone gunman and exacts revenge upon the gang. BTW, Jack Ryan's father Emmett is the Baltimore detective trying to catch him.

I can't begin to imagine the "improvements" that would be made to the story. Aliens maybe?

#4578113 - 08/25/21 11:30 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: iron mike]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by iron mike
The issue with the recent Clancy adaptations is that they are in name only for the most part.

Exactly. The Tom Clancy name is simply being slapped onto these projects for the purpose of "product recognition" for the audience.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4578758 - 08/31/21 05:03 PM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Anyone here read any Dale Brown? Got into him about 25 years ago with Flight Of The Old Dog, read everything he did up until about ten years ago.

Loved his writing and main protagonist. Storming Heaven was horrifically prophetic.

#4578795 - 09/01/21 04:58 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I have lots of Dale Brown (Shadows of Steel) and some others with colonel Patrick McLanahan (one with a plane that's similar to Firefox's thought control, except much freakier and sometimes painful...forget the name).

I read Clancy's RSR in its entirety every couple of years or so, never gets old, nor does Larry Bond's Red Phoenix, Cauldron and Dangerous Ground. Another favorite, The War in 2020 - Ralph Peters. So many...

++++++++++

Wife shopping survival fanny pack with one of my favorite Joe Weber paperbacks (still the same except upgraded MP3 player)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4578874 - 09/02/21 12:27 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<Since I post so many pics, I'm trying to keep them small.>

This thread prompted me to look over my library and pick out a few of my favorite works of fiction (some are duplicates, more than I intended, sorry)...

[Linked Image]

With my top favorites I try to keep multiple duplicates as I tend to wear them out quicker (especially some paperbacks like Red Storm Rising which are so thick).

My Firefox collection with the current book I'm reading (this time the Soviets are trying to steal *our* bird...Space Shuttle with important cargo)...

[Linked Image]

EDIT: I think Dale Brown's "Day of the Cheetah" is the one I was thinking of over "Dreamland," it's been a while.

Attached Files fiction.pngFirefox_SI.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 09/02/21 01:34 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4578877 - 09/02/21 01:03 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Some of my old book pics (fiction and non-fiction) for your entertainment... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DSCF2440.JPGDSCF2836.JPGDSCF3415.JPGF_books.JPGMG04.JPGNF_books.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4578884 - 09/02/21 01:35 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Forgot the book that I'm currently reading, "Storming Intrepid" - Payne Harrison, superimposed in middle of Firefox collection pic above (very good, on second read).

EDIT: Also, the pic I took tonight, the author's name at bottom of book is cut from pic: "Red Chameleon" - Charles Robertson. A fun read and a real nail-biter, IMO.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/02/21 01:59 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4581861 - 10/05/21 12:12 PM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Love RSR. Halfway through a read atm...and have been for over a year so i'll need to start again. A mate recommended it to me back in 90- 91'ish and i read it over a weekend. Couldn't put it down. Back then i wanted the movie immediately, but i'm glad they never made it in hindsight. The book is enough.

Nice collection Mark, reminds me of my Dads books shelf i used to pick from back in the day smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4581958 - 10/06/21 03:26 AM Re: Red Storm Rising [Re: Major Dragon]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, Ajay. Love RSR and I often use Google Earth to follow the geography as I'm reading the book, both in Iceland and Europe.

The sun is in the east

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.